Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which would you rather have with Wentz

Restinpeacesweetchloe

I am seeing these silly arguments about the game Sunday. For the Colture boys are mad about Taylor’s touches in the first half. We had big pass plays which limited are time of poscession in the first half. We only had the ball four times. They seem to be mad we didn’t grind it out more and Wentz had big pass plays which didn’t take much time off the clock. 

So would you rather have to grind it out with Taylor or have a QB who can hit those big plays. They don’t seem to understand those big pass plays opened up the run game in the second half. We now have those pass plays on tape and teams have to respect the deep ball.

They seem to be way over the top with their hate of Reich. 

Its is strange that Taylor is clearly our best player, him and Wentz anyways. Yet for some reason Frank started Hines back there and is still trying to work in Mack. I agree Taylor at this point should be getting 90% of the snaps, with Hines spelling him and playing slot. Mack should get garbage time carries or be traded like he wanted.

How about balance? It's not cookie cutter in this league... You take what the defense gives you. If that means they stop the short game but open up explosive plays then that's what the team does. If they play back and allow for chunk plays, then we go for that strategy. 

We can be both of those types of teams and we should be. 

7 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

You think JT is being utilized properly?

Gimmeabreak

Well on the one hand, he is our best player and should touch the ball often. On the other hand, most backs aren’t Derrick Henry and can’t handle 350+ carries year in and year out. There’s a fine line to toe, for sure. 

I wonder if those same people were upset when Peyton was making big plays...or even when Andrew was?  Some people will find something to complain about, no matter what.    When Wentz was playing hurt (and last year with Rivers), they complained that we didn't have a QB that could hit the long ball... now we have a QB hit some really nice chunk plays, and they're upset about that.  Best to just ignore them and enjoy the games.

Maybe it's because i'm 40 going on 41, but sometimes these boards seem like mostly a bunch of high school kids who know everything... and it also irritates me that so many people don't understand how conjunctions work... i see "should of" "would of" "could of"  and it is Would HAVE (would've) Should HAVE (should've ) and Could HAVE (could've).   lol  this concludes my rant for the morning.

32 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I am seeing these silly arguments about the game Sunday. For the Colture boys are mad about Taylor’s touches in the first half. We had big pass plays which limited are time of poscession in the first half. We only had the ball four times. They seem to be mad we didn’t grind it out more and Wentz had big pass plays which didn’t take much time off the clock. 

So would you rather have to grind it out with Taylor or have a QB who can hit those big plays. They don’t seem to understand those big pass plays opened up the run game in the second half. We now have those pass plays on tape and teams have to respect the deep ball.

Either they didn't run Taylor enough or they ran him too much resulting in short gains.... theres no pleasing a lot of people. I like flow of game and the Colts displayed that well. Here's hoping that continues. 

Ultimately it is up to the floor that our O, D and ST provide.

IF we can rely on Wentz to give us 25 plus points against good Ds and 30 plus points against average Ds consistently AND our D to limit average offenses to less than 20 points and good/elite Os to less than 30 points, we will have a good floor. I know, a BIG IF.

The problem is the inconsistency, they don't bring it across games, and heck even within the same game. That has to be attributed to coaching, IMO, since the personnel is mostly the same but the adjustments are not made well, that is what it tells me.

Oh, for crying out loud.

If we ground and pound Taylor for Time of Possession, they complain we don't do chunk plays.

If we throw three times for over 50 yards each, they complain we don't use Taylor enough.

If Hines gets 11 carries last week and 9 carries this week, they complain he's getting so few carries less than last week.

If we choose to do this, they complain we didn't do that.  If we choose to do that, they complain we didn't do this.

No matter what we do, they find something to complain about.

Guess what?  We won 31-3.  Our offense looked GREAT!

Let's not nit pick every little thing.

Those guys always have something to complain about, especially the young one. We won by FOUR touchdowns so I'm not gonna complain much. I love watching our offense pound the ball, but man nothing beats watching Wentz drop dimes 50 yards down field. Just beautiful, chefs kiss. 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

What ever it takes to win the game.

1 hour ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Some people will find something to complain about, no matter what.    When Wentz was playing hurt (and last year with Rivers), they complained that we didn't have a QB that could hit the long ball... now we have a QB hit some really nice chunk plays, and they're upset about that.  Best to just ignore them and enjoy the games.

1 hour ago, John Hammonds said:

Oh, for crying out loud.

If we ground and pound Taylor for Time of Possession, they complain we don't do chunk plays.

If we throw three times for over 50 yards each, they complain we don't use Taylor enough.

If Hines gets 11 carries last week and 9 carries this week, they complain he's getting so few carries less than last week.

If we choose to do this, they complain we didn't do that.  If we choose to do that, they complain we didn't do this.

No matter what we do, they find something to complain about.

Guess what?  We won 31-3.  Our offense looked GREAT!

Let's not nit pick every little thing.

28 minutes ago, Myles said:

Wentz threw 20 times for 223 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT's.

Taylor ran 14 times for 145 yards and 2 TD's.

I think the split was perfect.

HorribleArcticCatfish-size_restricted.gi

From ESPN......

"And while those stats are impressive, here are some even better numbers: 42, 51, 52, 76 and 83.

It would be great if those were the correct lottery numbers, but they’re actually the number of chunk-play yards the Colts have gained in the past two games."

Wentz with the coaching decisions have just opened up the running game for JT. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Wentz threw 20 times for 223 yards, 2 TD's and 0 INT's.

Taylor ran 14 times for 145 yards and 2 TD's.

I think the split was perfect.

I don't. Taylor had 14 carries and was hot yet again. Mack had 5 carries for 12 yards. Even if we take out Taylor's 83 yard run he still averaged almost 4.8 ypc... let the man do his job and stop the ridiculous running back by committee crap. Taylor is clearly our guy. Sprinkle on some Hines plays and we're flying.

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I don't. Taylor had 14 carries and was hot yet again. Mack had 5 carries for 12 yards. Even if we take out Taylor's 83 yard run he still averaged almost 4.8 ypc... let the man do his job and stop the ridiculous running back by committee crap. Taylor is clearly our guy. Sprinkle on some Hines plays and we're flying.

Sorry, this came out all wrong really. I'm perfectly fine with a 50/50 split or even 60/40 favoring the pass, I just don't get why we keep pulling Taylor out when he's hot in favor of other RBs. It's just bad coaching in my opinion.

27 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Sorry, this came out all wrong really. I'm perfectly fine with a 50/50 split or even 60/40 favoring the pass, I just don't get why we keep pulling Taylor out when he's hot in favor of other RBs. It's just bad coaching in my opinion.

As another poster said, Henry is really the only RB you can ride that hard to be out there every play. The reason Taylor still can get those long runs late is the DEF is tired but he isnt since he does get breaks, and then to have Mack and Hines runs gives a bit of another hit on the DEF without Taylor getting hit and gives a different look where a big play could hit later (Like if they only passed when Hines was in then DEF would only play the Pass, you run him a few times to make the DEF stay honest). That is kinda that reason for rotation.

2 hours ago, HoosierHero said:

Those guys always have something to complain about, especially the young one. We won by FOUR touchdowns so I'm not gonna complain much. I love watching our offense pound the ball, but man nothing beats watching Wentz drop dimes 50 yards down field. Just beautiful, chefs kiss. 

Really may complaint is after up 24-3 I wish they had taken Wentz out and let Hundley in, one to help with the draft thing, but 2 there could have been a cheapshot on Wentz and could get injured at a meaningless point. A thing like with what happened to TY

2 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

As another poster said, Henry is really the only RB you can ride that hard to be out there every play. The reason Taylor still can get those long runs late is the DEF is tired but he isnt since he does get breaks, and then to have Mack and Hines runs gives a bit of another hit on the DEF without Taylor getting hit and gives a different look where a big play could hit later (Like if they only passed when Hines was in then DEF would only play the Pass, you run him a few times to make the DEF stay honest). That is kinda that reason for rotation.

Really may complaint is after up 24-3 I wish they had taken Wentz out and let Hundley in, one to help with the draft thing, but 2 there could have been a cheapshot on Wentz and could get injured at a meaningless point. A thing like with what happened to TY

Folks. Really. Ballard isn’t going to allow Reich to hold Wentz out with the intention of doing the Eagles dirty on the pick. That wouldn’t just be un-Ballardlike, it would be entirely unprecedented. If we pulled some % like that who would ever want to trade with us again? How are the players, that you want to entice to wanting to come and play here, react to that? 

Send them the first round pick now and just be done with it. We got what we paid for, and this organization isn’t going to step into a pile of % that would reach knee-deep when they can just take the simple and easy step right over the top of it instead. 

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Folks. Really. Ballard isn’t going to allow Reich to hold Wentz out with the intention of doing the Eagles dirty on the pick. That wouldn’t just be un-Ballardlike, it would be entirely unprecedented. If we pulled some % like that who would ever want to trade with us again? How are the players, that you want to entice to wanting to come and play here, react to that? 

Send them the first round pick now and just be done with it. We got what we paid for, and this organization isn’t going to step into a pile of % that would reach knee-deep when they can just take the simple and easy step right over the top of it instead. 

Did you not read the second part of my comment? That is the real reason I wanted him out after 3 scores and about 6 minutes left. I only mentioned the draft cuz well it does have some play of course, but not the big reason to have him out. A blowout at that point with little time left, I dont want to see him get injured on some sort of cheap hit, or unnecessary hit or freak accident, like that is the main point of taking him out at that point. To keep him healthy. As I also said in my comment, you could have the TY situation happen to him there where we are up by a lot but still have a starter (often player) get injured in a blowout. Even in the Luck Era I wanted that at that point of a game, even if just to handoff cuz can always get foot stepped on or something else go wrong to get injured

50 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I think it is very smart to give Mack some carries.   He's a proven RB. Not great start to this year, but he's averaging 3.9 yards a carry.   That will improve and it will allow JT to improve with fresh legs.  

13 minutes ago, Myles said:

I think it is very smart to give Mack some carries.   He's a proven RB. Not great start to this year, but he's averaging 3.9 yards a carry.   That will improve and it will allow JT to improve with fresh legs.  

I’m not convinced running Taylor an extra 5 times per game is going to break him.

26 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

I’m not convinced running Taylor an extra 5 times per game is going to break him.

That's 85 carries over the length of a season.   Not a whole lot but it would amount to 680 carries over an 8 year period.   

They haven't been the only ones to complain about the lack of touches for JT on Sunday. I almost posted something about this as I heard Kent Sterling mention it plus others.

Will this team need to run the ball more throughout the course of a game to beat the better teams? I think so. Coaching oversight wasn't really the reason for the lack of touches for JT on Sunday though. There were other factors that were really the cause, imo.

The Colts had the big TD play with Paris Campbell and some big throws to Hilton and Pittman in the first half. Plus, Fisher had at least 2 false starts in the first half that put the Colts in passing situations.

I will say that Hines had 1 additional rush attempt and I believe 1 more target than Taylor in the first half. Hines should never get more rush attempts.

I want both haha. I want to hit the big plays when they are there and I want JT running the ball enough to keep the defense off the field. I don't know why Frank played Mack and Hines more early against Houston. JT should be the featured back with Hines #2. Wentz needs to keep doing what he's doing, take a shot when they are there but if not take what the defense gives you and check it down to the TE's or backs.

It was weird that Taylor didn't get the ball on the first series (four plays, not mind boggling, but still raised an eyebrow), and then Hines got the first touch on the second series. Then Taylor got the ball or targeted three times in a row. Then they scored a 51 yard TD.

The Colts were pushing the ball down the field, which is something we've all been hoping to see. Instead of trying to run to set up the pass, they actually passed to set up the run. We should be welcoming Reich to 2021, this was a modern game plan, and it worked. Penalties and bad protection are what caused the offense issues in the first half. 

After multiple chunk pass plays, they got multiple nice runs in the second half. They ran 48 total offensive plays, and 24 were called run plays (plus two Wentz scrambles). If they hadn't hit big plays so often, they probably would have had the ball for another 12-15 snaps, and JT would have had 20+ touches. 

Hines had 5 touches, Mack had 5 touches. That's reasonable, and probably less than what the game plan called for.

7 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I think you have changed my mind on this. i was all for holding CW back if we lost a few more games to get that #1 back but even if we do lose enough for a top 10 pick i think we got a top 10 pick or better with CW. I think he is our qb for the next 8 to 10 years. and your right who would trade with us after that stunt 

Let me put it this way - if we are getting 20 yards per completion on passes, I am not going to get very upset for Taylor not getting touches, especially since he's being used exactly like I imagine him being used in an effective way in the offense. I would rarely if ever be upset for our coach choosing to pass more on early downs/game neutral situations. Now if we gave him all the Marlon Mack snaps, I'd be good with it.

Archived