Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts work out CB and Carrie still 3 or 4 weeks away

Restinpeacesweetchloe

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Could use another CB for sure.  The depth behind the top four is non existent.  Of those four two are nicked up,  one is really not good out of the slot (but is a beast in the slot), and the other is more known for his return skills than his corner skills.

I really hope Ballard prioritizes the secondary in the off-season. 

With no first in 2022, I think we will see Ballard go after a tier 1 FA or two. There are a lot of solid FA CB’s after the season. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/cornerback/

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

With no first in 2022, I think we will see Ballard go after a tier 1 FA or two. There are a lot of solid FA CB’s after the season. 

I am with you, this needs to be a priority, despite the defensive scheme.

8 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think the Broncos are looking to trade Kyle Fuller too although Ballard had an opportunity to sign him as an FA earlier this year.

Didn't they just sign Fuller this offseason? He must be playing pretty damn bad if they want to trade him already...

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Agree especially since Carrie and Rhodes could very well not be back.  He’s going to have to do something.

5 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Didn't they just sign Fuller this offseason? He must be playing pretty damn bad if they want to trade him already...

Yeah he hasn’t been good at all. I kind of wanted him over Rhodes last offseason, but I suppose both have been awful so it doesn’t matter much either way.

30 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Tier 1's usually go quickly and are expensive.  Not usually Ballard's style.

Hope your right but a more likely scenario is a bargain FA CB and day 2 or 3 draft pick.

38 minutes ago, MPStack said:

CB definitely.   perhaps wr, and depth at OL, and safety?   And if Paye, Dayo, Tuay, etc dont get pressure...... pass rush, yet again.  Haha

i fully expect him to go heavy at CB.  Its too obvious.  The ages of Rhodes and Carrie, the inconsistency of Rock.  Good ones are hard to find and expensive.  But unless we suddenly pull a pass rush out of our butts, we need more of a cover-style guy.  At least to blanket their #1 or #2.  We can then double their #1 or play part zone.  The injuries havent helped.  Maybe we’ll look better later in season.

Toliver is an interesting player to potentially bring in. He has a prototypical CB frame, was a 5 star recruit out of HS, solid strength and speed, can use his size to bully WRs, and projected as a good fit for zone-heavy teams.

He also has red flags galore. His coaches at LSU said he had an entitled attitude and was immature. He also had surgery on an injured shoulder, then managed to later reinjure it.

He has a lot of the physical attributes, but seems to lack instincts and has gotten by on his physical talent alone because he needs some technical refinement.

19 hours ago, WentzinRome said:

I am with you, this needs to be a priority, despite the defensive scheme.

They'll prioritize DE, DT, LB, S.  CB is almost always last in this scheme.... Thought being, save money on devaluing a premium position via scheme.... I don't love it, but that's been the view since Dungy/Polian.... With the exception of getting a top CB for great value (V.Davis). They will always see CB as the last spot to complete the D.

21 hours ago, MPStack said:

JC Jackson is a good signing but if he’s going for more than 8M a year Ballard isn’t signing.

Target a safety hopefully and I want Marcus Williams

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

His only drawback is his tackling but he’s young and can improve in that area. 

I disagree. He's a willing tackler and stood out to me during the past couple of games as making a handful of quality tackles.

3 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

They'll prioritize DE, DT, LB, S.  CB is almost always last in this scheme.... Thought being, save money on devaluing a premium position via scheme.... I don't love it, but that's been the view since Dungy/Polian.... With the exception of getting a top CB for great value (V.Davis). They will always see CB as the last spot to complete the D.

While your reply is spot on, I hate the mindest that the team has defensively.  You can have a good man CB in this defense, and still funtion in in a psuedo zone.  You take out the greatest receiving threat this way.  It is akin to the man who refused to stop renting VHS tapes back in 2000, lol.  Evolve or be left behind ;)...

Archived