Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts What if.....? The Blue Sweater Vest

Mr. Too Proud

What if.... ? The blue sweater vest

I want to take a fun spin on our favorite team and look at some decisions that would have changed the course of not only this year but the whole identity of the Colts.

Jim Tressel takes over for Jim Caldwell after he was fired to start 2012. After serving a 6 game suspension the year before being a team consultant in 2011.

The trade

Looking at what San Diego got for Eli Manning to come up with this trade formula. Tressel makes a deal with Washington to get a more Mobile QB.

Andrew Luck and Jerry Hughes

for

Rg3, Brian Orakpo, 2013 2nd and 2013 4th

This trade has a ripple effect on both franchises and implications for the whole NFL.

The rest of the draft 2012

No Colby Fleener instead Cody Glen RT (Tressel offense didn't utilize TE)

3rd round Bernard Pierce RB (bigger bruising back for Tressel heavy run offense)

Rest of draft same

Trade Washington 2013 2nd round for Vontae Davis (we still trade for Vontae Davis)

Draft Josh Gordon with our 2nd round supplemental pick to appease RG3 (complain to Irsay and Grigson about Tressel heavy run offense)

2012 lineup offensive

QB Robert Griffin iii

RB Donald Brown/ Bernard Pierce/ Vick Ballard

WR Reggie Wayne/ Josh Gordon/ Donnie Avery/ TY Hilton/ LaVon Brazil

O-Line AC (LT), Jeff Linkenbach (LG), Shipley (Center),Joe Reitz (RG), Cody Glen (RT)

The Colts loss to the Ravens in the playoffs.

Andrew Luck wins offensive Rookie of the year. Washington beats Seattle and Atlanta in playoffs advancing to conference championship game where Luck faces his old Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh. In a upset Luck and Washington moves on to play the Ravens in the Superbowl. Luck gets injured 4th quarter against Chuck Pagano defense but Washington still wins the Superbowl against the Ravens with Kirk Cousins setting up a Wentz/Foles debate in Washington.

Off-season

Bruce Arians stays with the team and does not take the Arizona Cardinals Job

Ray Horton takes over as HC in Arizona making Frank Reich his OC (Reich never becomes Phillip Rivers QB coach)

2013 draft is the exact same except for the 1st pick the Colts choose Alec Ogletree ILB instead of Bjorn Werner (since they have Brian Orakpo)

A promising offense and a defense with

Mathis, Orakpo, Davis, Butler, Bethea, Ogletree, Freeman, Toler and Walden

The Colts and Jim Tressel looks to take over the AFC South in 2013

Screaming Dying Inside GIF

In all seriousness. We're using revisionist theory here to avoid what we know as an impending and inevitable retirement of Andrew Luck by trading him to Washington. 

In reality? I would think Jim would have kept Luck at #1. You don't trade away a sure-fire pick like that away. 

You know this made me remember the only time in my life I remember yelling at the TV during a non-Colts game during that Was/Sea playoff game when RG3 got hurt. I still wonder if RG3 would be playing if they took him out like they should have when he could barely move. It was sad to watch him gut that out and ultimately end his career when someone should have stepped in.

A what if scenario where instead of trading back and accruing a lion’s share of draft capital and taking Wilson later in the draft, you have us taking RG3 for what looks like a lot less than what Washington gave up to move up to 2nd to get him?  If you’re really gonna go Marvel’s What If, you should do the 1998 & 1999 drafts.  

What if we kept Harbaugh & traded back and took Charles Woodson.  Then the next year took Tom Brady with a late round pick?  Would Brady still have become the Goat?  Would we have gotten 3 Hall of Famers out of those 2 drafts in Woodson, Edge, & Brady?

If i were to do anything differently it would be what I wanted to do at the time.  Trade out of #1 for a bounty then draft a QB to develop behind  Peyton. At the time my pick was Foles but with hindsight it’s obviously Wilson.  But I would have used all those 1st and 2nd round picks to reload and build a young nucleus to develop behind the greats we had at that time. It’s easy now to look back and say who we should have picked at each spot. I loved having Andrew but I still would have rather kept Peyton and traded down. 

11 hours ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

What if.... ? The blue sweater vest

I want to take a fun spin on our favorite team and look at some decisions that would have changed the course of not only this year but the whole identity of the Colts.

Jim Tressel takes over for Jim Caldwell after he was fired to start 2012. After serving a 6 game suspension the year before being a team consultant in 2011.

The trade

Looking at what San Diego got for Eli Manning to come up with this trade formula. Tressel makes a deal with Washington to get a more Mobile QB.

Andrew Luck and Jerry Hughes

for

Rg3, Brian Orakpo, 2013 2nd and 2013 4th

This trade has a ripple effect on both franchises and implications for the whole NFL.

The rest of the draft 2012

No Colby Fleener instead Cody Glen RT (Tressel offense didn't utilize TE)

3rd round Bernard Pierce RB (bigger bruising back for Tressel heavy run offense)

Rest of draft same

Trade Washington 2013 2nd round for Vontae Davis (we still trade for Vontae Davis)

Draft Josh Gordon with our 2nd round supplemental pick to appease RG3 (complain to Irsay and Grigson about Tressel heavy run offense)

2012 lineup offensive

QB Robert Griffin iii

RB Donald Brown/ Bernard Pierce/ Vick Ballard

WR Reggie Wayne/ Josh Gordon/ Donnie Avery/ TY Hilton/ LaVon Brazil

O-Line AC (LT), Jeff Linkenbach (LG), Shipley (Center),Joe Reitz (RG), Cody Glen (RT)

The Colts loss to the Ravens in the playoffs.

Andrew Luck wins offensive Rookie of the year. Washington beats Seattle and Atlanta in playoffs advancing to conference championship game where Luck faces his old Stanford Coach Jim Harbaugh. In a upset Luck and Washington moves on to play the Ravens in the Superbowl. Luck gets injured 4th quarter against Chuck Pagano defense but Washington still wins the Superbowl against the Ravens with Kirk Cousins setting up a Wentz/Foles debate in Washington.

Off-season

Bruce Arians stays with the team and does not take the Arizona Cardinals Job

Ray Horton takes over as HC in Arizona making Frank Reich his OC (Reich never becomes Phillip Rivers QB coach)

2013 draft is the exact same except for the 1st pick the Colts choose Alec Ogletree ILB instead of Bjorn Werner (since they have Brian Orakpo)

A promising offense and a defense with

Mathis, Orakpo, Davis, Butler, Bethea, Ogletree, Freeman, Toler and Walden

The Colts and Jim Tressel looks to take over the AFC South in 2013

drugs-are-bad-drugs.gif

I can't for the life of me think why you'd want to redo the 2012 draft and take RG3.  No matter what team RG3 went to, he was going to flame out.  He did not have the build to sustain the hits he was going to take based on his style of play.  If you're going to redo that draft, it has to be Russell Wilson even though, at the time, like @coltsfanej, I wanted Foles.  I do think Foles could have had a better career had some things gone differently for him, but being completely objective, Wilson was the 2nd best QB from that draft behind Luck.

Archived