Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor versus Edgerrin James who do you think was better

Stephen

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edge before the ACL tear was on another level than the rest of the league. The guy could literally do it all! Right now, I gotta go with Edge because of the Hall of Fame career he ended up having. It's such a shame he was never the same player after the ACL tear though. I always look back and wonder what kind of career Edgerrin would of had if he never suffered a significant injury.

JT is special though and if he can stay healthy for the first few years, it's going to be interesting how people compare the two a few years down the line.

It's too early to say. BUT, if Taylor continues to play like this year for several more years, then as much as I love Edge, I'd have to go with Taylor. He has a rare combination of elite speed and power. And he has great vision (as did Edge). Edge had the benefit of playing with a truly elite quarterback, which helped set up the run (and vice versa). Whereas, Taylor is doing it without this same benefit. He's doing it even though the competition knows it's coming, and is trying to stop it. He has a way of breaking through.

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm going with the folks that say pre ACL Edge was hands down better.

He came in those first 2 years like a maniac.

I won't go that far Taylor is doing things edge hasn't done. The key to being better is doing it for a while

3 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Based on what metric? 

Edge was a great pass blocker and  good receiver, while leading the league in rushing.  im not mad at anyone for thinking he was more versatile.

JTs pass protection needs work and while he can certainly catch it and run with it, there isnt a lot of nuance to his receiving game.

Edge might have been a better fit for the team he was on

24 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm going with the folks that say pre ACL Edge was hands down better.

He came in those first 2 years like a maniac.

So is Taylor.  In fact Taylor’s year this year is the best year any Colts running back has ever had.  He’s the only running back in franchise history with 1500 yards and 15 TDs in a single season.  He’s also doing it without the benefit of having Peyton Manning as the main focus of other teams defenses.  I love Edge and haven’t forgotten how good he was but Taylor is showing he’s on his level.  The one thing Taylor has left to do is sustain it like Edge did, even post injury.  If Taylor can do that he will join Edge in the Hall of Fame and probably go down as the best running back the Colts have ever had which is saying something when you remember they had Moore, Carr, Dickerson, Faulk, and Edge.

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Edge was a great pass blocker and  good receiver, while leading the league in rushing.  im not mad at anyone for thinking he was more versatile.

JTs pass protection needs work and while he can certainly catch it and run with it, there isnt a lot of nuance to his receiving game.

JT needs longevity, that is it, so Edge gets the Edge lol. Last night Taylor threw an excellent block allowing Wentz best throw of the night.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So is Taylor.  In fact Taylor’s year this year is the best year any Colts running back has ever had.  He’s the only running back in franchise history with 1500 yards and 15 TDs in a single season.  He’s also doing it without the benefit of having Peyton Manning as the main focus of other teams defenses.  I love Edge and haven’t forgotten how good he was but Taylor is showing he’s on his level.  The one thing Taylor has left to do is sustain it like Edge did, even post injury.  If Taylor can do that he will join Edge in the Hall of Fame and probably go down as the best running back the Colts have ever had which is saying something when you remember they had Moore, Carr, Dickerson, Faulk, and Edge.

I'm not knocking him honestly. Edge to me was just better. People were questioning JT half way into his rookie year. He's growing into a great RB. All I was saying is Edge came in and just kicked down the door.

14 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Based on what metric? 

My eyes honestly. Not saying JT is a bumb.

First 2 years to me it's not close.

17 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I agree that Edge was probably a better fit for that particular incarnation of the Colts. Things like "nuance" can be hard to quantify and tend to be relegated to the realm of opinion versus fact. I can tell you that this season, Taylor is basically comparable to where Edge was as a receiver in year 2. He's averaging 9.3 yards per reception, versus 9.4 for Edge. But let's grant, for sake of argument, that Edge was better at pass-blocking (you're probably right). And let's grant that he was more nuanced as a receiver. But given that Taylor is breaking Franchise records, can it really be said that Edge was better "hands-down"? Does it really rise to the level of a no-brainer? I think a lot of people would disagree with that.

9 minutes ago, IinD said:

I'm not knocking him honestly. Edge to me was just better. People were questioning JT half way into his rookie year. He's growing into a great RB. All I was saying is Edge came in and just kicked down the door.

My eyes honestly. Not saying JT is a bumb.

First 2 years to me it's not close.

Jonathan Taylor came into the lead during a covid season and had to learn how to run behind new blocking scheme

4 minutes ago, masterlock said:

I agree that Edge was probably a better fit for that particular incarnation of the Colts. Things like "nuance" can be hard to quantify and tend to be relegated to the realm of opinion versus fact. I can tell you that this season, Taylor is basically comparable to where Edge was as a receiver in year 2. He's averaging 9.3 yards per reception, versus 9.4 for Edge. But let's grant, for sake of argument, that Edge was better at pass-blocking (you're probably right). And let's grant that he was more nuanced as a receiver. But given that Taylor is breaking Franchise records, can it really be said that Edge was better "hands-down"? Does it really rise to the level of a no-brainer? I think a lot of people would disagree with that.

Well Taylor is averaging more yards per carry than edge so I'll say he is probably a little more explosive than edge

Just now, Stephen said:

Jonathan Taylor came into the lead during a covid season and had to learn how to run behind new blocking scheme

I hear ya, I'm not discounting him. Just saying Edge was the guy I'd pick if we're just going on what we have so far (2 years).

He'd be #2 in rushing if Henry was still around. I'm glad we have JT, no knocking him.

I'd say JT probably has a better line than 99-00 ' Edge also.

11 minutes ago, masterlock said:

Things like "nuance" can be hard to quantify

running routes, catching and turning up field quickly, things like that.  I think edge was better at these things.  hines is good at them too

JT is dangerous on a catch and run, but its usually just a pitch to him when no one is around 

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Last night Taylor threw an excellent block allowing Wentz best throw of the night.

he is probably getting better as he goes, hes had some wiffs this year too.  edge was very good at that from almost day one.  

i dont have strong feelings on who is better overall, that is a tough one.  I'll say id take edge on the manning team and Taylor now 

3 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

he is probably getting better as he goes, hes had some wiffs this year too.  edge was very good at that from almost day one.  

i dont have strong feelings on who is better overall, that is a tough one.  I'll say id take edge on the manning team and Taylor now 

Edge is better because of longevity but Taylor is a rare talent, I am not saying he is Henry but it is close. The combo of power, speed, and reading his gaps is fun to watch.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Edge is better because of longevity but Taylor is a rare talent, I am not saying he is Henry but it is close. The combo of power, speed, and reading his gaps is fun to watch.

he is a blast to watch, his big run last night was my favorite play in quite a while

there were some whispers that it might have been better to take a knee and run out the clock at the 1 but i say screw that.  That TD got the fans hyped like we have not seen in  years.  i doubt Jim would have wanted him to do that

7 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

he is a blast to watch, his big run last night was my favorite play in quite a while

there were some whispers that it might have been better to take a knee and run out the clock at the 1 but i say screw that.  That TD got the fans hyped like we have not seen in  years.  i doubt Jim would have wanted him to do that

Yeah if JT slides down at the 5 for example, we just take a knee and win. Hey look at it like this we rubbed it in which BB has done many times in his career. Either way we weren't going to lose, Pats didn't have enough time to score twice with 2 minutes left and no timeouts. 

As stated earlier.  Edge, and its not even close.  Edge had lateral explosion, the ability to take an inside run and turn it into an outside run and succeed. 

I have not seen JT make his own outside run when he has nothing inside.

The only thing JT has over EJ is the homerun speed that EJ did not have.  Edge got caught from behind a lot, even before the ACL.

8 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

Edge was a good receiver

That's a question I was pondering last night.  Why aren't they using Taylor more as a receiver?  He hasn't been targeted in the past two games.  Throw the dude a screen occasionally.  Dump it off to him now and then.  

20 hours ago, IinD said:

I hear ya, I'm not discounting him. Just saying Edge was the guy I'd pick if we're just going on what we have so far (2 years).

He'd be #2 in rushing if Henry was still around. I'm glad we have JT, no knocking him.

I'd say JT probably has a better line than 99-00 ' Edge also.

Because Henry would have like 120 more carries than JT lol if I'm a RB I think I'd rather play with an elite QB instead of an elite OL. Teams won't stack the box against Peyton. Edge had a better rookie year but he also had 369 carries compared to Taylor's 232. 

Interesting fact, Edge never once averaged 5ypc for a season in his career. Taylor averaged 5.0 as a rookie, and 5.6 this year. Even tho teams are stacking the box and know what we want to do.

10 hours ago, Stoney said:

Because Henry would have like 120 more carries than JT lol if I'm a RB I think I'd rather play with an elite QB instead of an elite OL. Teams won't stack the box against Peyton. Edge had a better rookie year but he also had 369 carries compared to Taylor's 232. 

Interesting fact, Edge never once averaged 5ypc for a season in his career. Taylor averaged 5.0 as a rookie, and 5.6 this year. Even tho teams are stacking the box and know what we want to do.

They are like Goku and Vegeta both great in different ways

Archived