Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor versus Edgerrin James who do you think was better

Stephen

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

JT almost always wins the extra battle for extra yards he fights for inches, I love it...

In the open field JT is a pile mover but isn't very good at it at all at the LOS.  He doesn't excel at fighting for inches IMO.  He's not a very good short yardage back.  

Just now, Nickster said:

In the open field JT is a pile mover but isn't very good at it at all at the LOS.  He doesn't excel at fighting for inches IMO.  He's not a very good short yardage back.  People complain about Hines taking short yardage carries, but one of the reasons he does it is because JT isn't great at it.  Indecisive and needs momentum to get downhill. 

JT doesn’t get the usage to truly compare to Edge as of now.  I noticed upthread that some said Edge had the advantage of “playing with the MVP” and playing in a system where we “passed to set up the run”.  Maybe later in his career but it was the exact opposite early in his career.  

The first 2 years, Edge was our offensive MVP not Peyton.  Edge took the pressure off of a super talented but turnover prone young Peyton and allowed the game to slow down for him by giving him a running game that he could lean on most weeks.  Not to mention pass protection and receiving.  Edge was the complete package and undeniably a top 3 back in the NFL from day one until his knee injury.

Taylor has the “potential” to be that and more because of his size and home run speed but as of now it’s mostly still potential.  If he’d have been given the workload that Edge was given in his first 2 years, I think this debate/race would be much closer.  Taylor has the advantage of playing with a supposed top 5 O Line and in an era where the running game is mostly set up by the passing game.

The passing to set up the run may have been a disadvantage for Taylor with Rivers at QB last year because Rivers seemed much more willing to replace pounding the rock with the quick passing game and I think Taylor left potentially hundreds of yards out on the field because of it.  

Sure using Taylor in a timeshare may help him have a longer career but it’s also limiting the level of early success he could potentially be achieving like Edge was able to attain.  Time will tell if JT can catch Edge when it’s all said and done but as of now Edge was the better back their first 2 respective seasons in the league. 

JT can make up some ground though if he can deliver a Dickerson like performance vs the Titans on Halloween.  Let Henry, the biggest baddest back in the league, know that he’s got serious competition for the top spot right here in the AFC South.  Snatch the King’s Crown.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

As others have said, I think EJ was more elusive and had better balance, making him a bit tougher to tackle, IMO.  He could gain yards with more defenders around him.  He was sort of a poor man's Barry Sanders.

Taylor definitely has home run speed, and seems to move the pile better, but more of a straight line runner.  He is a bigger and better Donald Brown.

I like RBs with EJs talents more than a RB with JT's talents.

EJs rookie year highlights:

Edge’s vision and balance in that video is all time great stuff.  And he was only a rookie…. Talk about being a natural.  My goodness.  No offense to JT, but Edge was just different…. To be fair though, JT is a different breed too because of his speed and power. But those are the only things he’s got over Edge.  

Balance, Vision, Elusiveness, Receiving, Pass Pro all go to Edge.  Too bad Luck didn’t have an Edge or JT to take some pressure off like Peyton & Carson had/have as Colts.  Because it’s looking like Carson & JT are gonna be a problem for the league or the next few years. 

Threads like this make me wonder if some of you guys were even alive to watch Edge.

Pure running talent....Edge.  His first 2 years and 6 games into his 3rd year he dominated the league in almost every category except for Faulk in St. Louis during their crazy offensive shows.

Pass catching.....Edge without blinking.  Dude was like having a slot WR on those wheel routes.

Pass blocking....Edge by a mile.  The guy stoned LB's and Safety's running full speed at him.

I'm blown away how people can think to compare the 2 at this point.  Edge only came off the field when the game was a blow out...just to give the other guys some good stats.  I think the only category at this point that JT can win over Edge easily is straight line speed for a long duration.

• 3 weeks later...

Taylor has more burst but he has to play like this for around 5 years before I say he is better than Edge. Edge is a Hall of Famer so Edge gets the Edge haha . Like with Mahomes, everyone was saying he was even in the GOAT discussion after his first 3 seasons but now he is struggling, longevity is key in these type of discussions. Mahomes for example has a long way to go before he is better than Brady or Peyton or Montana.

59 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I've been around long enough to have seen Edge, Addai, and Taylor. Taylor is the best.

image.png.f0163648104f962b46ca78cb3daa7c4f.png

Dude, I love Taylor and what he is shaping up to be.... but no. This is only his 2nd year and he has ripped off a few LONG runs this year which are inflating his numbers and YPC. That is generally not sustainable.

If he continues to do this for another 3 years, and continues to every other game rip off 60 or 70 + yard runs consistently, then lets talk. 

But Edge was just different pre-injury - and not just in his running. His receiving and his pass pro were all pro level for a RB, from day 1.

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

image.png.f0163648104f962b46ca78cb3daa7c4f.png

Dude, I love Taylor and what he is shaping up to be.... but no. This is only his 2nd year and he has ripped off a few LONG runs this year which are inflating his numbers and YPC. That is generally not sustainable.

If he continues to do this for another 3 years, and continues to every other game rip off 60 or 70 + yard runs consistently, then lets talk. 

But Edge was just different pre-injury - and not just in his running. His receiving and his pass pro were all pro level for a RB, from day 1.

I tried to compare each player at the same time in their career experience. It's hard because each had different front o-lines and quarterbacks. Then again, it's just my opinion. 

The impressive thing about Edge is that he succeeded as two different players: He began his career with burst and elusiveness and breakaway speed, and post-injury he was slower but still effective as more of a power, plowing straight-ahead runner who always seemed to get positive yards. Most guys can’t make that switch. 

12 hours ago, CoachLite said:

I've been around long enough to have seen Edge, Addai, and Taylor. Taylor is the best.

Taylor is the most talented, there is a difference between being the best or more talented. Bo Jackson was the most talented RB in the history of the NFL but on nobody's top 10 all-time list. Longevity is huge. Dan Marino is more talented than Tom Brady but Tom is better because of intangibles. Edge for now gets the nod. I want to see Taylor play like this for 5 years at least than I may agree with you.

13 hours ago, CoachLite said:

The fact you brought up Addai and not Marshall makes me question you.   I think Taylor has the makings of being great.   He just has to keep don't it.   But until further notice,  EDGE is the best

On 10/18/2021 at 1:26 PM, Nickster said:

If you watch some of this vid and don't see JT, I'd be surprised.  Sproles was a one cut straight down hill attacker with elite speed.  Built just like JT too only a little shorter. 

Maybe, the worst comparison anyone has ever made, in the history of ever. It's like you looked for the most dissimilar back ever and compared him to JT.

BTW, Sproles was 5'6 180 on a good day. JT is 5'10 230. That's just build. Their play is different in every way too.

I'm just going to stop here because this is ridiculous.

... Mind blowing

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

The fact you brought up Addai and not Marshall makes me question you.   I think Taylor has the makings of being great.   He just has to keep don't it.   But until further notice,  EDGE is the best

He doesn't compare to Marshall because Marshall had about as many yards receiving as rushing

On 10/18/2021 at 4:53 PM, Smoke317 said:

JT doesn’t get the usage to truly compare to Edge as of now.  I noticed upthread that some said Edge had the advantage of “playing with the MVP” and playing in a system where we “passed to set up the run”.  Maybe later in his career but it was the exact opposite early in his career.  

The first 2 years, Edge was our offensive MVP not Peyton.  Edge took the pressure off of a super talented but turnover prone young Peyton and allowed the game to slow down for him by giving him a running game that he could lean on most weeks.  Not to mention pass protection and receiving.  Edge was the complete package and undeniably a top 3 back in the NFL from day one until his knee injury.

Taylor has the “potential” to be that and more because of his size and home run speed but as of now it’s mostly still potential.  If he’d have been given the workload that Edge was given in his first 2 years, I think this debate/race would be much closer.  Taylor has the advantage of playing with a supposed top 5 O Line and in an era where the running game is mostly set up by the passing game.

The passing to set up the run may have been a disadvantage for Taylor with Rivers at QB last year because Rivers seemed much more willing to replace pounding the rock with the quick passing game and I think Taylor left potentially hundreds of yards out on the field because of it.  

Sure using Taylor in a timeshare may help him have a longer career but it’s also limiting the level of early success he could potentially be achieving like Edge was able to attain.  Time will tell if JT can catch Edge when it’s all said and done but as of now Edge was the better back their first 2 respective seasons in the league. 

JT can make up some ground though if he can deliver a Dickerson like performance vs the Titans on Halloween.  Let Henry, the biggest baddest back in the league, know that he’s got serious competition for the top spot right here in the AFC South.  Snatch the King’s Crown.

Honestly with two game versus jags and 1 versus Texans wouldn't be surprised if Taylor gets over 500 yards rushing from those three. Would love to run all over Patriots as payback for what they did to us with Blount. Tampa may be the toughest to run against. Raiders and bills can be run on

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Marshall was great ... for St. Louis.

Archived