Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jonathan Taylor versus Edgerrin James who do you think was better

Stephen

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's easily the best back we've had since him. I dont think he has the same elusiveness or the ability to make guys miss like Edge did. I do think he has the possibility to have a longer career but I dont think he is as special as Edge was.

I think E. James was more well rounded than JT is currently. Edge was definitely a better receiver and blocker.  JT is definitely more of a home run threat with the ball than James was IMO.

Edge is my all time favorite Colt, and If I had to choose, it would definitely be Edge. 

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Do you think Jonathan Taylor is as good as Ed James  or would you rank him below him

I just asked my Dad, who is Ed James? Then immediately after was like, ohhh ok. I’ve never heard him referred to as Ed.

Their different backs. JT is quicker and stronger. Edge was smoother.

Yes, they were different backs. If you throw it to JT in the flat and expect him to be elusive enough to pick up 2 critical yards against a good D, more often than not, he won't while Edge had that lateral elusiveness. However, once you gave both of them a hole, JT is faster after he hits the hole and more powerful in space. Edge was more patient waiting for his blocks to materialize while JT is still learning it. Blitz blocker, Edge definitely had the edge. :) 

Just now, chad72 said:

Yes, they were different backs. If you throw it to JT in the flat and expect him to be elusive enough to pick up 2 critical yards against a good D, more often than not, he won't while Edge had that lateral elusiveness. However, once you gave both of them a hole, JT is faster after he hits the hole and more powerful in space. Edge was more patient waiting for his blocks to materialize while JT is still learning it. 

Edge always fell forward which resulted in extra yards after contact and very few negative plays. 

Edge had that fast Howard Mudd trained line that blocked the stretch play at a high level. And he was exceptional reading it and bursting through an instantly developed crack for 6-7 yards. No back in the league was close to his numbers for 6-7 yard gains.
 It might have helped a little having the MVP threatening with his passing attack. And Edge was superior picking up blitzes. 
 Taylor right now is a great athlete that is a pretty good football player.
He can improve and will i am sure, and hopefully have a healthy line so he can be all he can be as a runner. 

• Nadine changed the title to Jonathan Taylor versus Edgerrin James who do you think was better

For me it’s going to come down to how long JT avoids major injuries that affect the way he plays plus being able to maintain/improve his play, peak Edge was incredible and better than anything we’ve really seen from JT so far but unfortunately it only lasted 2 and a bit seasons until he did his knee. Not that he was a bad player afterwards but he certainly wasn’t the same player that he was pre-injury. 
Pretty good question OP.

Well, one is a HOF and another is a 2nd year player. Hard to tell.

Although I would take EDGE. Taylor honestly hasn’t had a good year so far, if it wasn’t for his 80+ yard run last game he wouldn’t have even been over 100.

Although Frank doesn’t seem to want to use Taylor too much.

Taylor will have more long rushes than edge did. Taylor will literally run over a guy vs edge who would go around him or spin past. Edge was more talented imo. 

At the end of the day it will be about rushing yards and if Taylor passes edge all time then and only then will he be the better RB. 

17 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm just glad they are/were both Colts! 

Colts picked Edge back then instead of Ricky Waters thank God

JT is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches it. 

Still surprised Chiefs picked E.C.H. over him just imagine him in that offense

It's apples to oranges, really.  With Edge, they passed to set up the run.  With Taylor, it's been mostly the opposite.  If healthy, Edge rarely came off the field.  He got every carry.  Taylor has shared time.  You spent a top 5 pick on Edge while Taylor was a second rounder.

They're different, but If you just look at overall talent, it's pretty close.  Everything being equal, I might take Taylor, honestly.

So far, JT hasn't proven much against good teams.  He struggles to find yds without clear running lanes.

I don't remember enough specifically about EJ to remember how he looked to start off, but IIRC he took the league by storm from the start in all facets of the game.  I don't think JT is near EJ.  

And I don't see JT ever being as good as EJ.  Too many limitations in his game IMO.  He's poor in pass pro.  He gets lost running laterally.  He runs up blockers' backs sometimes. 

He's definitely more explosive than I remember EJ being in the open field, although EJ could break one.

That is JT's best attribute is his speed in open space.  It's getting to that open space that I think JT has not show much of to this point against good teams.  Until I see a few good performances against good teams in a row, I am going to remain skeptical of JT as a great back, especially running.  His best game IMO was v. GB last year, but even then, looking at his numbers, they don't stand out.  But I remember him being quicker and more decisive that game.

I pretty much dismiss games like yesterday and the JAX game last year.  Those teams are terrible.  Once JT gets to the 3rd level, he's as good as there is out there.  He's more like a small guy, but he does finish in the open field. There is a lot of open space v. Hou and wasn't much more JT running the ball v. Balt and the like. 

6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

So far, JT hasn't proven much against good teams.  He struggles to find yds without clear running lanes.

Well, everything looks better in hindsight.  In reality, Edge wasn't great at getting the tough yards..  If Edge gets one yard vs. the Patriots in 2003 and/or doesn't fumble on the goal line in 2004, we probably have another Super Bowl or two.

5 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't remember enough specifically about EJ to remember how he looked to start off, but IIRC he took the league by storm from the start in all facets of the game.  I don't think JT is near EJ.  

And I don't see JT ever being as good as EJ.  Too many limitations in his game IMO.  He's poor in pass pro.  He gets lost running laterally.  He runs up blockers' backs sometimes. 

He's definitely more explosive than I remember EJ being in the open field, although EJ could break one.

That is JT's best attribute is his speed in open space.  It's getting to that open space that I think JT has not show much of to this point against good teams.  Until I see a few good performances against good teams in a row, I am going to remain skeptical of JT as a great back, especially running.  His best game IMO was v. GB last year, but even then, looking at his numbers, they don't stand out.  But I remember him being quicker and more decisive that game.

I pretty much dismiss games like yesterday and the JAX game last year.  Those teams are terrible.  Once JT gets to the 3rd level, he's as good as there is out there.  He's more like a small guy, but he does finish in the open field. There is a lot of open space v. Hou and wasn't much more JT running the ball v. Balt and the like. 

I would say he is under used

Just now, #12. said:

Well, everything looks better in hindsight.  In reality, Edge wasn't great a getting the tough yards..  If Edge gets one yard vs. the Patriots in 2003 and/or doesn't fumble on the goal line in 2004, we probably have another Super Bowl or two.

Yeah I was looking at EDGE's game log from his rookie year, and he had a mixed bag rushing like anyone, but there really hasn't been a JT performance RUNNING (Balt game with the receiving and maybe other's last year) against a good team that makes me change my mind. 

It's hard to think like you did 20 years ago or even remember how you thought.   We shall see with Taylor.  I just don't see him improving much at the point of attack yet.  He looks the same to me, and I haven't been impressed with him as an elite rusher of the football since his first game.  And so far this year it seems the same. 

Everyone seems to think that JT is a grinder, but I don't see it at all.  He's more like Sproles than Earl Campbell.

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Yeah I was looking at EDGE's game log from his rookie year, and he had a mixed bag rushing like anyone, but there really hasn't been a JT performance RUNNING (Balt game with the receiving and maybe other's last year) against a good team that makes me change my mind. 

It's hard to think like you did 20 years ago or even remember how you thought.   We shall see with Taylor.  I just don't see him improving much at the point of attack yet.  He looks the same to me, and I haven't been impressed with him as an elite rusher of the football since his first game.  And so far this year it seems the same. 

Everyone seems to think that JT is a grinder, but I don't see it at all.  He's more like Sproles than Earl Campbell.

Wouldn't compare him to sproles nothing like him

18 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I would say he is under used

I just disagree for the most part.  JT has a lot of negative or very short runs and then a few really long runs. 

I would guess that JT's percentage of runs of say less than 3 yds is higher than most backs. So  a lot of times people say he's underused, you go back and look and we were in a lot of 3rd and longs and short drives trying to establish JT.

After the 1st month or so until the GB game, JT was not effective and they ran Hines or Wilkins who did better.  Yesterday is a great example of what I've been saying.  In today's game you use the PASS to establish the run, but many of the GeXers and Boomers on here are stuck in old thinking that hasn't evolved with the game. 

I don't think JT would make a good bell cow on an elite team.  Too many limitations.  Now the thing is is that  that bell cow era is over for now so this doesn't really matter.   He will be best IMO when he is not forced to do things he's not good at.

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I disagree.  I think he's actually a lot like him.  Hurts people in the passing game in the open field.  Both shifty but no terribly elusive.  Sproles was a down hill runner man.  I bet if you looked at his tape you might see what I'm talking about .

12 minutes ago, Stephen said:

If you watch some of this vid and don't see JT, I'd be surprised.  Sproles was a one cut straight down hill attacker with elite speed.  Built just like JT too only a little shorter. 

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s hard to compare someone who had a Hall of Fame career with someone who is not even a year and a half into his career.   Taylor’s needs a lot more of what he’s doing right now before I’d put him ahead of James. 

The edge goes to Edge.       :thmup:

Yup. On top of his great running ability, Edge was a phenomenal receiver and blocker. Before his injury, he was in rarefied air as a RB. As good as I’ve seen. 
I love JT. But it’s  just way, way too soon to compare him to the Edge. 

11 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Yup. On top of his great running ability, Edge was a phenomenal receiver and blocker. Before his injury, he was in rarefied air as a RB. As good as I’ve seen. 
I love JT. But it’s  just way, way too soon to compare him to the Edge. 

Yeah, I remember not being bummed by Faulk's departure for too long either. 

As others have said, I think EJ was more elusive and had better balance, making him a bit tougher to tackle, IMO.  He could gain yards with more defenders around him.  He was sort of a poor man's Barry Sanders.

Taylor definitely has home run speed, and seems to move the pile better, but more of a straight line runner.  He is a bigger and better Donald Brown.

I like RBs with EJs talents more than a RB with JT's talents.

EJs rookie year highlights:

Edge IMO. Taylor is great but Edge was considered an elite back by nearly everyone. Not sure JT is there yet.

Its worth noting that its a very different game then when Edge was a rookie. For reference, Edge had more touches in his first season than Taylor has had combined last year and this year even though last years Colts team had more rushing attempts (459) than the 1999 Colts of Edges rookie year (419). The days of a "bell cow" RB are over and I personally think Emmitt's records will never be broken because of it.

27 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As others have said, I think EJ was more elusive and had better balance, making him a bit tougher to tackle, IMO.  He could gain yards with more defenders around him.  He was sort of a poor man's Barry Sanders.

Taylor definitely has home run speed, and seems to move the pile better, but more of a straight line runner.  He is a bigger and better Donald Brown.

I like RBs with EJs talents more than a RB with JT's talents.

EJs rookie year highlights:

Yeah, Taylor isn't particular good at the point of attack either.  He's not a bruising runner until he gets to the 2nd or 3rd level, then he's a great pile mover.  But looking at the video, EJ was defintely a more powerful runner at the point of attack. 

Archived