Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Texans at Colts: Postgame thoughts

EastStreet

7 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

1) I hope Ya Sin is ok, but Rodgers had a heckuva play on that INT 

2) This defense needs some pass rush BAD (not named Buckner) 

3) Reed is impressive taking over for Big Q 

4) I'm glad Reich listened to whoever had a talk with him about opening up the play book 

5) Excellent to see Wentz airing it out 

6) How the heck did Campbell get hurt? That dude's health is extremely concerning 

7) Okereke had career high tackles, but man did he get spun around a few times 

8) Good win - now string some together! 

9) KEEP THROWING TO MO ALLIE!!! 

I am still confused as how Campbell got hurt. Didn’t look he came down on it and he ran off the field after the play. I hope he isn’t getting soft where he is scared to play on a little soreness. Maybe that Achilles acted up again. It’s just all very weird.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I am still confused as how Campbell got hurt. Didn’t look he came down on it and he ran off the field after the play. I hope he isn’t getting soft where he is scared to play on a little soreness. Maybe that Achilles acted up again. It’s just all very weird.

Maybe he's Italian 

a-christmas-story-fragile.gif

5 minutes ago, philba101 said:

Is it just me or is Taylor deadly in the open field? I think Reich needs to throw a few screen passes his way every game. He doesn't look blazing fast on the screen but he sure makes our opponents pay.

The RB coach said getting Taylor more involved in the passing game was a major emphasis in camp.

2 hours ago, Fluke_33 said:

That’s such a strange thing to say.  Do you also not care that Hendrix is black?  You still like him?

Why is it strange? I said it because unfortunately some people did when I was growing up with the AIDS pandemic going on, etc.. I grew up in a time when it was different, the 80's. I think you are looking too much in to what I posted. 

Yesterday was the blueprint. We saw what this team can do. What they can be. Now do more of it. Do it regularly. 

Taylor is a beast. He needs to be getting 15 carries a game right now. Bare minimum. Make defenses stop him. Because when they commit to stopping him, you’re going to be able to hit those big throws we saw yesterday. Don’t pull Taylor and leave him on the sidelines for Hines or Mack for a drive. In fact, like I’ve said for weeks now, forget about Mack. That horse has left the barn. Great starter for us there for a couple years. It was a fun run, many thanks, best of luck in your future endeavors, but it’s over. It’s time to move on. If we signed him for depth then let him sit until depth is needed. We don’t need depth right now. We’re just working against ourselves taking Taylor off the field. 

Hines has his uses. But use him with Taylor. Not instead of. Don’t just put him in and call the same plays that you would for Taylor. They’re different players, and they have different strengths. The majority of Hines snaps should come with Taylor also on the field because that’s going to open up even more opportunities for both of those guys. Someone on the defense is gonna have to account for each of them, so you’ve got one less set of eyes and hands on whoever does get ball. Hines can be used and create an advantage for us. If we start doing that in conjunction with those things we did well yesterday this is a much more potent offense.

I just hope we see more of it moving forward. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Why is it strange? I said it because unfortunately some people did when I was growing up with the AIDS pandemic going on, etc.. I grew up in a time when it was different, the 80's. I think you are looking too much in to what I posted. 

It’s strange because the 80s were 40 years ago. No one here is going to question or care about your sexuality.  This forum is a safe place buddy!  

In my opinion, the only defensive stats that truly matter are turnovers, sacks and PPG. 

With that in mind, I wanted to point out that despite the lack of consistent pass rush, injuries to the secondary and playing 3 top 10 offenses in our first 6 games, this single good performance brought us all the way up to 11th in points allowed on defense. We are only a mere 1.6 PPG from being as high #6, and they are a mere 2.6 PPG from being even higher at number 2. We are 4th in takeaways and differential. We are in like a multiway tie at 19th in sacks. 

Sometimes I think people dont realize this is just the new NFL. The 2nd best defense in the league is allowing 18+ points allowed per game. Teams are spreading you out and attacking thru the air now, and the league also took away the ability to be physical, so defenses are at a severe disadvantage.

If the Colts pass rush can improve as the season goes on, and if our secondary can stay reasonably healthy, we could have a very good defense, by NFL standards.

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

In my opinion, the only defensive stats that truly matter are turnovers, sacks and PPG. 

With that in mind, I wanted to point out that despite the lack of consistent pass rush, injuries to the secondary and playing 3 top 10 offenses in our first 6 games, this single good performance brought us all the way up to 11th in points allowed on defense. We are only a mere 1.6 PPG from being as high #6, and they are a mere 2.6 PPG from being even higher at number 2. We are 4th in takeaways and differential. We are in like a multiway tie at 19th in sacks. 

Sometimes I think people dont realize this is just the new NFL. The 2nd best defense in the league is allowing 18+ points allowed per game. Teams are spreading you out and attacking thru the air now, and the league also took away the ability to be physical, so defenses are at a severe disadvantage.

If the Colts pass rush can improve as the season goes on, and if our secondary can stay reasonably healthy, we could have a very good defense, by NFL standards.

I think you have to look at things in a variety of ways. I do agree points allowed is very important, but think you have to look deeper. When you call out we played 3 top 10 Os, you should also point out that we played two bottom 5 offenses as well. 

I also think pressures are as important as sacks, but neither matter a lot if certain other things aren't in line, like passer rating allowed.

So looking deeper at PPG allowed, 

We've played 6-7-8-18-29-31 offenses in PPG. Average, 16.5, so pretty, well, average.... 

I like to look how are defense performed against the opponents AVG.

Seattle 23.3 - We gave up 28, 4.7 over their average (home game)

Rams 29.8 - We gave up 27, 2.8 under their average (home game)

Titans 26.4 - We gave up 25, 1.4 under their average

Dolphins 16.4 - We gave up 17, 0.6 over their average (with a back up QB)

Baltimore 28.3 - We gave up 31, 2.7 over their average

Houston 15.3 - We gave up 3, 12.3 under their average (with a back up / rook QB)

So 3 over and 3 under. Our best under performance was by far against Houston with a rook 3rd rounder, and it's skewed our average by a couple points. I'd say the Rams game was probably our best game even though we gave up 27. 

But overall, we're pretty average, and IMO our PPG allowed is highly impacted by two games vs 2 backup or rook caliber QBs.

What's most troublesome to me is that even with two games vs super bad offenses/QBs, we're still 31st (up from 32nd last week) in passer rating allowed at 111.2. That's just plain bad however you want to look at it. IMO, stands by itself. 

Also, we're 18th in sacks (not to horrible), but we're dead last 32nd in pressure %, and that's scary too.

2 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes points will be scored. But allowing 350 yards in a half and not giving any resistance is unacceptable. Our pass rush won’t improve because Eberflus scheme is not allowing it to shine. 

20 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I think you have to look at things in a variety of ways. I do agree points allowed is very important, but think you have to look deeper. When you call out we played 3 top 10 Os, you should also point out that we played two bottom 5 offenses as well. 

I also think pressures are as important as sacks, but neither matter a lot if certain other things aren't in line, like passer rating allowed.

So looking deeper at PPG allowed, 

We've played 6-7-8-18-29-31 offenses in PPG. Average, 16.5, so pretty, well, average.... 

I like to look how are defense performed against the opponents AVG.

Seattle 23.3 - We gave up 28, 4.7 over their average (home game)

Rams 29.8 - We gave up 27, 2.8 under their average (home game)

Titans 26.4 - We gave up 25, 1.4 under their average

Dolphins 16.4 - We gave up 17, 0.6 over their average (with a back up QB)

Baltimore 28.3 - We gave up 31, 2.7 over their average

Houston 15.3 - We gave up 3, 12.3 under their average (with a back up / rook QB)

So 3 over and 3 under. Our best under performance was by far against Houston with a rook 3rd rounder, and it's skewed our average by a couple points. I'd say the Rams game was probably our best game even though we gave up 27. 

But overall, we're pretty average, and IMO our PPG allowed is highly impacted by two games vs 2 backup or rook caliber QBs.

What's most troublesome to me is that even with two games vs super bad offenses/QBs, we're still 31st (up from 32nd last week) in passer rating allowed at 111.2. That's just plain bad however you want to look at it. IMO, stands by itself. 

Also, we're 18th in sacks (not to horrible), but we're dead last 32nd in pressure %, and that's scary too.

Well thats usually how schedules work East. No team plays moatly top tier offenses. There arent enough of them to make that possible.

Buffalo is number 1 and they have also played Miami and Houston, they shut out both teams heavily skewing their ranking. But they havent played as many top 10 offenses as us. They played 1 tonight and gave up a lot of points. These things even out over time.

At the end of the day what matters most is points allowed. I never said we were great, just that nobody really is anymore. Buffalo was in 1st by a lot and looked pretty bad tonight getting gashed on the ground all night long. And we might not be as bad as people are making us out to be. 

Most of our woes would be cured with a better pass rush. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Yes points will be scored. But allowing 350 yards in a half and not giving any resistance is unacceptable. Our pass rush won’t improve because Eberflus scheme is not allowing it to shine. 

I didnt say it was acceptable. 

I am saying it happens to every team now from time to time.

10 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Well thats usually how schedules work East. No team plays moatly top tier offenses. There arent enough of them to make that possible.

Buffalo is number 1 and they have also played Miami and Houston, they shut out both teams heavily skewing their ranking. But they havent played as many top 10 offenses as us. They played 1 tonight and gave up a lot of points. These things even out over time.

At the end of the day what matters most is points allowed. I never said we were great, just that nobody really is anymore. Buffalo was in 1st by a lot and looked pretty bad tonight getting gashed on the ground all night long. And we might not be as bad as people are making us out to be. 

Most of our woes would be cured with a better pass rush. 

I actually called the Bills D overrated yesterday due to their schedule. 

Also predicted tonight's game.

I get what you are saying, but I think there is plenty of other stuff to look at then simply PPGA. And a good D simply holds teams below their average more times than not, even good teams. I also think it's fair to say we are probably the most opposing-QB friendly team in the league lol.

8 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Yesterday was the blueprint. We saw what this team can do. What they can be. Now do more of it. Do it regularly. 

Taylor is a beast. He needs to be getting 15 carries a game right now. Bare minimum. Make defenses stop him. Because when they commit to stopping him, you’re going to be able to hit those big throws we saw yesterday. Don’t pull Taylor and leave him on the sidelines for Hines or Mack for a drive. In fact, like I’ve said for weeks now, forget about Mack. That horse has left the barn. Great starter for us there for a couple years. It was a fun run, many thanks, best of luck in your future endeavors, but it’s over. It’s time to move on. If we signed him for depth then let him sit until depth is needed. We don’t need depth right now. We’re just working against ourselves taking Taylor off the field. 

Hines has his uses. But use him with Taylor. Not instead of. Don’t just put him in and call the same plays that you would for Taylor. They’re different players, and they have different strengths. The majority of Hines snaps should come with Taylor also on the field because that’s going to open up even more opportunities for both of those guys. Someone on the defense is gonna have to account for each of them, so you’ve got one less set of eyes and hands on whoever does get ball. Hines can be used and create an advantage for us. If we start doing that in conjunction with those things we did well yesterday this is a much more potent offense.

I just hope we see more of it moving forward. 

I really don't mind seeing Mack on the field. It's more Hines that I have an issue with. I like Hines but seeing him run it up the gut is getting old. I fear that the ball is going to get knocked lose every time I see him tote the rock. Both JT and Mack are better ball carriers and blockers. Hines is a great pass catcher but JT and Mack can do that as well.

If we didn't give him that contract in the off-season the only time I would want to see him is like you suggested, when both he and Taylor are on the field together. I'm the backfield w Taylor, out wide, in motion, that is where I like him.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I actually called the Bills D overrated yesterday due to their schedule. 

Also predicted tonight's game.

I get what you are saying, but I think there is plenty of other stuff to look at then simply PPGA. And a good D simply holds teams below their average more times than not, even good teams. I also think it's fair to say we are probably the most opposing-QB friendly team in the league lol.

And we are 1 game away from that being a true statement East. If we hold San Fransisco below their average, it will be. 

We held the Titans and Rams below thier average. Those are top 10 offenses. We exceeded expectations, even in a losing effort. 

My point in making that post was just to show how quickly things change statistically, especially early in the year. And how fine the line is between slightly below average, average and good. Its a minute difference sometimes. 

Just now, GoatBeard said:

And we are 1 game away from that being a true statement East. If we hold San Fransisco below their average, it will be. 

We held the Titans and Rams below thier average. Those are top 10 offenses. We exceeded expectations, even in a losing effort. 

My point in making that post was just to show how quickly things change statistically, especially early in the year. And how fine the line is between slightly below average, average and good. Its a minute difference sometimes. 

Average PPG for offenses, really aren't "expectation". It's just their average against whatever teams they have played. Our performance against those teams are good to watch as the year goes along and the sample size or data set grows. 

I agree that some stats/ranks can change quickly, which is why I like to look deeper. But at the same time, we all saw our early top 5 pass D last year go from top 5, to top 10, to outside of the top 20....  And given we've played overall average teams (16.5), just not sure our passer rating allowed, or the fact we've given up the most passing TDs in the league, will change much. I hope it does. 

Archived