Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Texans at Colts: Postgame thoughts

EastStreet

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

That’s assuming four teams the Colts have played this year make the playoffs this year.  If you still think the Colts are going to the playoffs the Titans probably aren’t because I think the South will be a one birth division this year. As good as the NFC west is I don’t think you can say the Rams or the Seahawks (especially with Wilson out) are locks.  

I think the main point is the argument can be made the colts very often do not beat above average teams. 

Although arguing what a playoff team means would be interesting. 

I wish the colts whole season was just the jags, jets, and Houston. Well Houston without Watson. 

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ratking said:

I think the main point is the argument can be made the colts very often do not beat above average teams. 

Although arguing what a playoff team means would be interesting. 

I wish the colts whole season was just the jags, jets, and Houston. Well Houston without Watson. 

We do struggle against very good teams or great teams but most teams do. We usually beat at least 1 or 2 every year though and beat the average to bad teams like last year. 

10 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Won’t disagree there just saying they have lost seven straight to playoff teams is a little misleading because it doesn’t mean they will make the playoffs this year.

I mean if the Colts beat the 49ers this week that could very well break that streak but we won’t know until the year is over.

I also think it's misleading to think beating Houston without Watson, the jets, and the jags means the colts are an above average team. At this point they have nearly half a season worth of games of losing to other above average teams. 

I am still optimistic about the playoffs because the titans i believe are overrated and due for a down year .   However the colts need to still prove they are a good team by beating good teams . I just hope every game they start to get better and improve .  if we beat the 49ers and titans the colts are back but still have to hit a winning streak and beat at least two playoff teams down the road .

2 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

I am still optimistic about the playoffs because the titans i believe are overrated and due for a down year .   However the colts need to still prove they are a good team by beating good teams . I just hope every game they start to get better and improve .  if we beat the 49ers and titans the colts are back but still have to hit a winning streak and beat at least two playoff teams down the road .

If we win the rematch it anyone's division, most important game of the season in 2 weeks.

1.  Good job of taking care of business against a bad team.  Solid job on both offense and defense.  It was especially good to see that they didn't just get by and finished the game strong. Lets keep it going next week against a better opponent.  

2.  It has been said before, but it bears repeating that the O-line specifically the run game continues to do a good job despite missing Q.  Front office really has to wonder if it is worth to pay high $$ for a position that may not impact an entire unit, game so much.  I am tending agree that best most efficient use of cap space for Nelson's talents in the future may be to put him out at LT.  

3.  Watching Houston really underscores how quickly any promise, a path for a championship can evaporate.  It was only in January 2020, these guys had a 24-0 lead in a divisional playoff game, a young QB who had to be considered top 5 in the league and now, less than a season and a half later, the team looks like they are starting over...again.  Absolutely crazy how things can be altered so drastically in such a short period of time.  

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win the rematch it anyone's division, most important game of the season in 2 weeks.

yea but going into the game with the same record and beating them could seal it early .  We need to handle business next week no matter what . we have a tougher schedule after the titans game going against 3 elite teams plus the raiders who look good .  After the saints game the titans schedule gets super easy . We need to win out the next two weeks and hope the titans lose out to have a chance .

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

looking at the titans schedule even they lose to us the chiefs bill and rams that is only 6 losses .  we need to win next week to have a real chance unless the titans just fall apart and lose to the saints and steelers also

1 minute ago, coming on strong said:

yea but going into the game with the same record and beating them could seal it early .  We need to handle business next week no matter what . we have a tougher schedule after the titans game going against 3 elite teams plus the raiders who look good .  After the saints game the titans schedule gets super easy . We need to win out the next two weeks and hope the titans lose out to have a chance .

I hope going in we are 3-4 and they are 3-4, if we beat them we are in the drivers seat if that plays out. Even if they are 4-3 and we are 3-4 and we beat them I will take both teams being 4-4 at that point. We play the Jets and Jags after that.

looking at the titans schedule even they lose to us the chiefs bill and rams that is only 6 losses .  we need to win next week to have a real chance unless the titans just fall apart and lose to the saints and steelers also

Saints and Steelers both could beat them, that won't be easy.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Saints and Steelers both could beat them, that won't be easy.

yea but my point is if the colts lose next week we still have bills bucs , cardinals raiders  so having 5 losses already going against 4 good teams plus the patriots is not good .  it makes it so much easier if we handle business and can beat one of the big three elite teams .

6 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

They still have the Saints at the end of this stretch too. 

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I’d just say be careful what people are wishing for in Lance.  We might get what we want and while he’s not there yet consistently clearly the 49ers and hoping he can be like Jackson and if he flashes like that Sunday, like rookies can do, well we saw what happened Monday.

I am not saying Jimmy G is a better option frankly I think this is going to be a very hard game for a lot of reasons but when you start 1-4 this is the kind of game you have to find a way to win if you are going to make a run.

Absolutely have to win it. We’re right back in it with a win. 

Just now, coming on strong said:

yea but my point is if the colts lose next week we still have bills bucs , cardinals raiders  so having 5 losses already going against 4 good teams plus the patriots is not good .  it makes it so much easier if we handle business and can beat one of the big three elite teams .

We are better than the Raiders and Pats, the other 3 games have me worried.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We are better than the Raiders and Pats, the other 3 games have me worried.

anything can happen in one game we need to beat all the teams we need to beat plus beat some good teams . its a uphill battle still , it makes me nervous banking on the titans choking away so many games . they beat the bills by 30 points last year i hope they go on a losing streak .  it sucks having to rely on teams losing to stay a float .

anything can happen in one game we need to beat all the teams we need to beat plus beat some good teams . its a uphill battle still , it makes me nervous banking on the titans choking away so many games . they beat the bills by 30 points last year i hope they go on a losing streak .  it sucks having to rely on teams losing to stay a float .

Bills will remember that, law of averages are on our side. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

What I just said that like twice in this thread when everyone is focused on what we have ahead. What the hell you talking  about. Come on man. I was just making a point because that game was left off.

I was being sarcastic because you're telling everyone to take it one game at a time. Then talk about future games lol. 

That's what you tell a team/players. Not a fanbase. 

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

If people don’t pick up on the fact it’s a joke it’s not funny its not really a joke.

Or, they just missed it, or didn't get the sarcasm......

Don't you remember... you missed my sarcasm once before, and thought I missed out on a joke....

oh the irony lol... 

Happy for the win.  It should not have been that close at halftime which is concerning.  Rushing yardage and time if possession at halftime were bad.  My concern is that this type of play loses against good teams.

Just sloppy play in all areas.  Someone needs to explain just how valuable EVERY SINGLE play is.  Every one.  ANY play at any time can break a game, or change momentum. I font know, i’d just like to see a lil more discipline.  Also thought pkay calling took a slight step back.

Defense played better.  Offense looked great for most part.  But there were moments that need ironed out.

I think a good team is in there.  We saw it for three quarters last week as well.  But we need to polish up some rough spots when we hurt ourselves.

I’d like to see more discipline and far more urgency and focus.... on EVERY play.  Because that will be necessary later on if we are in the running, and if we hope to gave any chance of a run.

There is time, i have notice steady improvement.  But we are still a long way off from where we need to be. I’m kinda optimist though.  That’s the way i roll.

I wanted to rewatch the game before I posted anything on this because I came away with the feeling we didn't do much outside of a handfull of big plays on offense and the same on defense.

So, final thoughts...

Offense

• Good to see some explosive plays!! But...
  • Outside of the 2 big plays to Campbell and Hilton, Wentz didn't have a good day at the office. 11/20, 223 yards, 2 TDs to 9/18, 120 yards, 1 TD without those plays.  Of course if we didn't have to do all that much outside of those big plays. Also, we're still seeing examples of him holding the ball too long.
  • Taylor is a beast and I just don't get the idea of only getting him 14 carries. He's averaging 14,5 carries per game with a low of 10 and a+ high of 17. It's ridiculous.
  • Seemed like Hines was only in the game to tire the defense and set them up for Taylor. That's a shame I think. He's one of our a biggest playmakers in my opinion.
  • It was great to see Hilton out there again! I honestly had written him off as done, with last years performance and his injury this year, but he proved me wrong.
  • Campbell is a bust. That has been my opinion for some time now, but I really thought he was going to prove me wrong with that 51 yard TD. Then he got injured... again. Best ability is availability. He isn't.
  • Mo had a good TD catch, but should've had another. His second drop I blame Wentz for - bad placement. Had a great block on Taylor's 2nd TD.
  • Pittman had 2 solid grabs and a few good blocks down the field but not much outside of that.
  • Fisher sucks. He's not far removed from an achilles injury, but he still has a long way to go. Hoping he'll improve because right now it's looking like Ballard crapped the bed on this one - Leno is doing great.
  • The rest of the Oline is putting in solid work right now and it's hopefully only going to get better with Q and Smith returning... even if Smith didn't play his best up until his injury.

Defense

• Loved Leonards reaction after the first play being a false start on Houston. :funny:
  • I hate this defensive scheme with a passion. We gave up a 67% completion rate and 243 yards to a rookie and 124 yards rushing. That's concerning in my book. Still, we showed up and made some important turnovers, because without them it could have gotten ugly. 
  • Happy to see Paye on the field again and with an interception of all things - I'm not accepting anything else, that call getting turned over was a joke even if it ultimately benefitted us.
  • Still not nearly enough pressure from our Dline - they didn't have Tunsil on the field. I needed to see some sacks from our DEs.
  • Ya-Sin is having a good season so far. Good for him and us!
  • Willis had a good game, I think, as did Leonard, Moore and Okereke.
  • Fantastic interception by Rodgers late in the game.

Overall a lot of good things and something to build on. Now we just need to do it against the good teams and especially against the Titans.

Lastly, we beat one of the worst teams in football, comfortably, and we should have if we want to get to the playoffs. We have to beat the good/great teams if we want to get anywhere IN the playoffs and we haven't been able to for some time now. We had a good game against the Ravens up until we collapsed in the 4th quarter, and they just manhandled the Chargers. That's encouraging and heartbreaking all at the same time. I would like to see us beat at least one of either the Bills, Bucs or Cardinals this year, but we still have a long way to go to be one of the elite teams.

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I act like I am climbing Everest because we always have 7 or 8 people that act like we stink and falling off a cliff and Troll. As Karl Malone once said, "can't take the heat get out of the kitchen".

I'm more than happy when people point out the good we're doing. I'm not good with people using it to discount the bad and making excuses.

I'm generally a perfectionist and look for flaws to correct them, because that's how you get better in sports, business and life in general.

You're saying because I'm not satisfied with us being 2-4 that I should just leave. Sorry, not sorry - not going anywhere. I'm on the Irsay bandwagon here - I want titles. If you're just waiting for the NFL to start handing out participation awards you're in the wrong place.

15 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Welcome back TY (hope he’s not hurt too bad)

Taylor is a beast.

Wentz cooled off in the second half but Taylor got going.  Wentz has proven to be the answer at QB.  Frank has clearly made an impact with him.  Good marriage between the two.

Leonard is playing like an all pro on a bad wheel.

Still concerned about the lack of pass rush up front.  It was better today but the Texans were also really beat up on the line.

Bad day for Fisher.  I still don’t think he’s the long term answer at LT

Badgley made all his kicks so all you could ask for from him.  I thought the announcers made too big of a deal about him not doing kickoffs as Ridgo does that even with a healthy Hot Rod.

The secondary was better but the Texans are a bad team so I am still concerned about them.

Was good that Pascal came back in after he got hurt.

Campbell finally got his deep bomb and then got hurt sigh.

Then your thinking You Know Fishers is 100% and this is all you get.
 Get over yourself, he can improve, and next year he should be closer to 100%. Wherever he is playing.

The Texans are not very good and did what others have been doing to us, they just finished drives poorly, it's what they are now.
 The best part was the long ball game we have with CW. We all want this in our O. Taylor is a winner, and conserving his rush attempts is wise. Hines being used this way is bothersome, it is like Frank doesn't want to show ALL he has planned for when we need it to beat the best. I hope anyway!!
 Tom Landry usually called a conservative first half and sprung a more wide open 2nd half. He made the playoffs 20 strt8 years.
 Our best days start next year. Its a learning season with all these young defenders, and CW must be sharper to beat the best.

1) I hope Ya Sin is ok, but Rodgers had a heckuva play on that INT 

2) This defense needs some pass rush BAD (not named Buckner) 

3) Reed is impressive taking over for Big Q 

4) I'm glad Reich listened to whoever had a talk with him about opening up the play book 

5) Excellent to see Wentz airing it out 

6) How the heck did Campbell get hurt? That dude's health is extremely concerning 

7) Okereke had career high tackles, but man did he get spun around a few times 

8) Good win - now string some together! 

9) KEEP THROWING TO MO ALLIE!!! 

17 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was wrong about TY. He was ready to go. That was unbelievable how him and Wentz had that much chemistry already.

Because T.Y. runs such crisp routes. he is the one receiver we have who can constantly get open. ZP is a highly under-rated route runner IMO too. 

Good game yesterday I unfornunalty didn't get to see if all because of daughters dance recital, so I cant comment on the game as much.. but I will say. Since I started following the Colts in 2003 I haven't seen as many big runs as Jonathan Taylor has provided in a year and a half. We always used to be so methodical running the football. 5 yards 8 yards the occasional 15 yard burst. Buy my oh my Jonathan shows no mercy it's exciting! 

Archived