Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What is going on with Strachan?

bleed blue4life

Honest opinion... he was a 7th round pick... and most 7th round picks are guys who never make it in the NFL at all... a skill position like WR, if you fall to the 7th round, you're PROBABLY not as good as our fanbase thinks that you are.  He has the size, but to play WR at a high level in the NFL, you need more than just being at a good size/athleticism etc.    I'm not saying he will never make it in the NFL...but i'd be very surprised if he is ever a real impact player.

There are a reason that most WRs go in the top 3 rounds (other than pure slot guys)

He’s not good enough yet as a WR, and he’s not a contributor on Special Teams.   If you can’t contribute much in either, your chances of seeing much action, especially as a rookie, are small.   

No need to worry, he still has a bright future.  Those making fun of him are the Usual Suspects.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not good enough yet as a WR, and he’s not a contributor on Special Teams.   If you can’t contribute much in either, your chances of seeing much action, especially as a rookie, are small.   

No need to worry, he still has a bright future.  Those making fun of him are the Usual Suspects.

Exactly right.  And I couldn't agree more.

He's waaaaaay back on the WR depth chart.  Behind TY, behind Pittman, behind Pascal, behind Campbell, behind Dulin...  And he doesn't play on special teams.  And being in that situation, you run the risk of not dressing for the game, depending on other team needs.

So, what does the guy do?  He practices.  Hard.  Beat the guy in front of you.  Have a better practice than Dulin.  And take advantage of your opportunities.  If Campbell goes down, then you may get a chance.  Play well when you get that chance.  You've got a max 4 years on your rookie contract to make that impression.  Keep working.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hmm..:scratch:..so your saying we will get DELAYED GRATIFICATION from him. :D

Cool. Hope your right.

And for the record no one is making fun of him. I haven't even seen him yet. What we was sorta poking fun of the some here that thought because of his measurables & good practices that he was going to be the next Calvin Johnson immediately...and as a 7th rd. pick! He has the tools to be a good one but we will have to wait and see. We need a star playmaker desperately at WR. I've been wanting one, opposite  TY for years.

:thmup:

15 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Cool. Hope your right.

We all hope Strachan ends up developing into something. The reality at the moment, is he’s a 7th Rd pick from a small school, who showed a few flashes. Why the confusion he’s not playing, is confusing. 

14 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

What we was sorta poking fun of the some here that thought because of his measurables & good practices that he was going to be the next Calvin Johnson immediately...and as a 7th rd. pick!

*raises hand*  That was me.  I kept calling him Harold Carmichael 2.0.  I still hope he achieves that.  But, yeah, I was premature.

Just now, John Hammonds said:

*raises hand*  That was me.  I kept calling him Harold Carmichael 2.0.  I still hope he achieves that.  But, yeah, I was premature.

Were fans and we often think & wish with our hearts and nothing wrong with that. I'm guilty of that too lol.

But I'm hoping for Calvin Johnson 2.0 but will settle for Carmichael. :D

40 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Cool. Hope your right.

And for the record no one is making fun of him. I haven't even seen him yet. What we was sorta poking fun of the some here that thought because of his measurables & good practices that he was going to be the next Calvin Johnson immediately...and as a 7th rd. pick! He has the tools to be a good one but we will have to wait and see. We need a star playmaker desperately at WR. I've been wanting one, opposite  TY for years.

I was trying to use less inflammatory language….    But someone in this thread called him a JAG.    I’m confident that’s not a compliment.  

As to more and better WRs….    I think two are on the team right know….   Pittman and Campbell.   Neither is a star, but I think both have lots of potential. 

50 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Hurt his foot I believe. Campbell is so frustrating, because he has it all to be very, very good. Almost feel sorry for the guy. 

I feel sorry for him too.  I know some have been critical of Ballard bc of the receivers picked after him.  I think he has all the talent to be a star player, too bad injuries are looking to derail his career. If healthy I really think he could be better than TY but we may never know.  

Just now, AwesomeAustin said:

I feel sorry for him too.  I know some have been critical of Ballard bc of the receivers picked after him.  I think he has all the talent to be a star player, too bad injuries are looking to derail his career. If healthy I really think he could be better than TY but we may never know.  

Campbell would be an elite WR, if he could just stay healthy. 

It really shouldn't be a surprise Strachan isn't in the rotation. He's an X, and we have Pittman as a young growing X. And we have Pascal who is a small X/bully slot. Just not enough snaps.

I am a little surprised we haven't seen him in RZ packages, but at the same time, we rarely use MAC in the RZ, who has been extremely productive when called on.

All in all, it would likely take an injury to Pittman to see major snaps.

He’s a late round pick berried on the depth chart.  He also hasn’t done much when he has gotten chances unlike a guy like Duhlin who has taken advantage of the chances he’s gotten.  Not really sure why people are shocked?  Depending on the injury situation with TY and Campbell he might get a chance again in the next couple of weeks.  It will be up to him to take advantage of it.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Exactly right.  And I couldn't agree more.

He's waaaaaay back on the WR depth chart.  Behind TY, behind Pittman, behind Pascal, behind Campbell, behind Dulin...  And he doesn't play on special teams.  And being in that situation, you run the risk of not dressing for the game, depending on other team needs.

So, what does the guy do?  He practices.  Hard.  Beat the guy in front of you.  Have a better practice than Dulin.  And take advantage of your opportunities.  If Campbell goes down, then you may get a chance.  Play well when you get that chance.  You've got a max 4 years on your rookie contract to make that impression.  Keep working.

1 hour ago, CanuckColt said:

He is deep into learning mode...playbook...route-running...blocking assignments...etc.

Good takes by both of you. This guy making the team was a serious long shot. The fact that he did speaks of how highly the Colts brass thinks of him. He needs time to hone his craft but the raw skills are there. Give him time. He might just surprise everyone and turn out to be something special. 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The thing about Strachan is he might never get a real chance. Colts will probably get another WR high in the draft which will put him on the outside. Patmon it sounds like is healthy so we might even see Strachan get cut and Patmon activated.

Strachan is an X. 

We won't be drafting another X while we have Pittman.

If we draft any WR, it'll most likely be a Z/slot type.

Archived