Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 1Q Report/Grades: Offensive Line

EastStreet

2021 1Q Report/Grades: Offensive Line  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Overall OL Grade (please read OP before voting)

2. 2. If Fisher does not improve in the next couple games, what would you do?

• Make a trade before the Nov-2 deadline (if so, say who you'd want, and what Colt you'd trade)
    • Move Q out to LT and let Reed play LG
    • Move Smith over to LT and let Pryor play RT
    • Try Pryor out at LT
    • Do nothing, roll with a struggling Fisher
    • Sign a FA (please say who)
    • Other (please post what you'd do)
  3. 3. Who is the biggest surprise (good) or bright spot

4. 4. What are you most unhappy with about our OL?

• Q being out
    • Smith being out
    • Fisher not playing well
    • Kelly not playing well
    • Taking Fisher in the first place instead of Leno (or another option)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/23/2021 at 04:22 AM

Going to try and do 6 or 7 (OL, QB, WR/TE, RB, DL, LB, DBs) breakouts the next few nights. Starting with OL

• OL General 
    • Key Stats
      • Pass Pro
        •  Allowed the most QB hits in the league (30)
        • Allowed the 5th most pressures (56) in the league, and only 1 pressure off 2nd most. 
        • 11th most sacks allowed, so I'd say Wentz is doing a decent job getting rid of the ball given the numbers above. Wentz is 7th in throwaways.
      • Run Blocking
        • 10th best YBC (2.7 yards before contact) as a team, but JT and Hines are only 2.4.
          • Our AVG is a bit skewed due to Mack's 2.9 (speaks to his skill running zone). 
          • 2.4 would be ranked 18th FWIW
        • Our interior is AVGing 2.9-3.1-3.9 this year compared to 4.5-4.5-3.2 last year (LT/LG - C/G - RG/RT)
        • Our outside running (which is less about OL) is AVGing 5.1-8.8-4.2-6.8, compared to last year's 5.7-6.1-5.3-4.3 (wide left - outside LT - outside RT - wide right)
          • Keep in mind you have pulling guards, TEs, etc blocking on exterior runs. Mack's outside runs are also skewing up this year's numbers. 
  • Position Grades - Overall OL Grade "C-" 
    • LT - F
      • Eric Fisher (F) - Traditionally better in pass pro than run blocking, he's been pretty bad at both so far. 4 sacks and 3 penalties in 4 games, and ranked as one of the 10th worst in run blocking. Either he was rushed back too fast and is still not fully recovered, is taking longer than expected to shake off the rust, or he's just not going to return to form.
      • Davenport (F) - we all saw it, so I don't need to right about it lol.... bad at both LT and RT so I'm not going to add him to RT grades.
      • General - It's clearer now than ever that Leno was the better option. He's #3 in pass block win rate, and is grading in the 70s, allowing only 1 sack so far. So bad choice IMO by Ballard, and even worse choice of not securing better depth.
      • What's next - if we don't see significant improvement from Fisher in the next couple of weeks, one has to thing changes will be required. Trade before the Nov-2 deadline is hard to imagine right now. Smith moving over is an option with Pryor playing decent at RT. Q moving out is also an option with Reed playing decent.  
    • LG - B+
      • Nelson (A) - Was/is #1 in pass block win rate, and was top 10 in run block win rate (aged off now). All that while playing hurt. 
      • Reed (B) - His performance is a B, but if you want to give him a + or even an A for doing well while being an unheralded backup, I won't mind. His performance gives us options for Q once he returns healthy. 
      • General - Folks acting like this is a reason to jettison Q are a bit hot-take-ish, but nonetheless it does reinforce arguments about OL building strategy. Personally I think it gives us options (like bumping Q out to LT). 
    • OC - C
      • Kelly (C) - worst year by far for Kelly. 2 sacks, 2 penalties, 50s grade, and our worst interior AVG in years. I gave him the benefit of the doubt early when he was injured coming in, but as time goes on and we're not seeing a lot of improvement, it's very fair to questions things.
      • General - he was made the highest paid OC in the league, and is now 3rd. He's not playing close to top 5 IMO. Not sure if he's ever graded above mid 70s. IMO that's not a top 3 guys, and 50s certainly isn't. If he's still hurt, I get it. If not, simply underperforming. I get that's he's also had Reed subbing in to his left, but Reed has been pretty decent.
    • RG - C+
      • Glow (C+) - He's the least paid starter by far, and people like to criticize him, but he's been solid and consistent. Only one sack and he's likely responsible for the best interior AVG in his gap. He's always been a better run blocker than pass pro, but he's been pretty decent in both areas. Can't complain much given his pay. I've said several times, he's one of the better weak links in the NFL. 
    • RT - C+ (when Davenport has not played)
      • Smith (C) - only played one game but gave up a sack.
      • Pryor (B) - has been solid every game with increasing snaps week over week. No sacks. 
      • General - Doubt Smith be bad when he returns, so having a solid Pryor + Smith gives us flexibility like having Q + Reed. Somebody in that mix might deserve a look for LT.
  • PFF Grades
    • E Fisher LT - a bit better grade over last week, but still poor, and another sack. 
      • NA / 73% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 
      • NA / 62.0 (1) / 54.1 (3) / 41.8 (3) / 46.5 (4) / 
    • B Smith RT - When he comes back, do you give him a shot at LT with Pryor playing well at RT and Fisher struggling? 
      • 100% / NA / NA / NA / NA / 
      • 60.8 (1) / NA / NA / NA / NA / 
    • J Davenport T - shelved
      • 100% / 100% / 72% / 58% / NA / 
      • 59.8 (2) / 43.0 (2) / 47.4 (2) / 47.2 (3) / NA / 
    • M Glowinski G - led all players this week with an 85.5 grade and a nice jump.
      • 100% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 100% / 
      • 50.7 / 45.3 / 43.4 (1) / 47.6 (1) / 57.7 (1) / 
    • Q Nelson G - 
      • 100% / 100% / 21% / NA / NA / 
      • 72.7 / 63.9 / 69.3 / NA / NA / 
    • R Kelly C - still struggling
      • 100% / 100% / 100% / 96% / 99% / 
      • 67.9 / 68.8 (1) / 68.2 (1) / 55.2 (2) / 52.8 (2) / 
    • M Pryor OT - great week, and great grade taking over 100% of RT snaps 
      • NA / 27% / 28% / 42% / 100% / 
      • NA / 62.3 / 66.5 / 64.0 / 71.2 / 
    • C Reed OG - great week and second highest grade this week 78.3. 
      • NA / NA / 79% / 100% / 100% / 
      • NA / NA / 68.6 / 58.7 / 67.7 / 
    • D Pinter G/C - 
      • NA / NA / NA / 14% / 3% / 
      • NA / NA / NA / 77.0 / 76.0 / 

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

The oline is starting to come together. All the playing time together now is starting get chemistry. We should have Smith  and Nelson back for SF.

I wouldn't go that far. Last game Wentz was still hit 7 times, and Baltimore had 7 TFLs. JT also had a very low YBC. The Ravens have zero players in the top 10 pass rush or run stop win rates. 

I agree better, but LT is still a huge concern. We just lucked out with Reed and Pryor. Too bad it took us so long to find an alternative to Davenport. 

Not so confident in return timelines for Q and Smith. Regardless, I think Fisher was get eaten alive by SF if he doesn't step it up. 

Archived