Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Week 6 Practice/Injury Report (Texans)

EastStreet

10 minutes ago, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I believe so

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Their oline is kind of a mess if that is a serious injury. If we don’t get pressure this week something is wrong.

Bolded are starters. I would expect Tunsil to start even with the "thumb".

Their D is clean except for 2nd string KGH. 

DNP: C Justin Britt (knee), TE Pharaoh Brown (shoulder), LT Laremy Tunsil (thumb), Deshaun Watson (non-injury)

Limited: WR Danny Amendola (thigh), RB Rex Burkhead (hip), LB Kamu Grugier-Hill (hip)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Bolded are starters. I would expect Tunsil to start even with the "thumb".

Their D is clean except for 2nd string KGH. 

DNP: C Justin Britt (knee), TE Pharaoh Brown (shoulder), LT Laremy Tunsil (thumb), Deshaun Watson (non-injury)

Limited: WR Danny Amendola (thigh), RB Rex Burkhead (hip), LB Kamu Grugier-Hill (hip)

Tunsil is having surgery. He is out a month.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just watching highlights from that Patriots Texans game. Mills looked pretty good. Lots of big plays that were wide open. Is the Patriots defense that bad? 

Patriots have been killed with injuries. 

Worse than us and all over the place.

• Like 1

Just now, Wentzszn said:

Thanks, yup, I googled after I replied. Just yesterday and the day before they wrote this.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/10/11/laremy-tunsil-will-try-to-play-through-torn-ucl-in-thumb/

That leaves Geron Christian who isn't awful, but hasn't played a lot. He did start 6 games last year, and gave up 6 sacks, but graded in the 60s overall. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Patriots have been killed with injuries. 

Worse than us and all over the place.

Some of those throws Mills threw were really good. I could see him taking advantage of our bad defense. He was pretty good throwing on the run too. But I think he is a guy we can get pressure on and with two backup tackles hopefully we can. Hopefully Buck can get more pressure too.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Some of those throws Mills threw were really good. I could see him taking advantage of our bad defense. He was pretty good throwing on the run too. But I think he is a guy we can get pressure on and with two backup tackles hopefully we can. Hopefully Buck can get more pressure too.

He's got a plus arm. Just not that mobile. 

I think he'll eat our pass D alive regardless. 

Another personal best type of situation. 

Maybe we get pressure this game.... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

He's got a plus arm. Just not that mobile. 

I think he'll eat our pass D alive regardless. 

Another personal best type of situation. 

Maybe we get pressure this game.... 

If there was ever a time to play more man and closer to the line of scrimmage this is the game. Press the WRs and dare Mills to be accurate enough with the deep ball or wait long enough for someone to get open. We theoretically should be able to sack him at least a couple of times by doing this. 

18 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

If there was ever a time to play more man and closer to the line of scrimmage this is the game. Press the WRs and dare Mills to be accurate enough with the deep ball or wait long enough for someone to get open. We theoretically should be able to sack him at least a couple of times by doing this. 

I think your right. From the looks of those highlights he was eating up the zone coverage.

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Deep balls are historically a strength of his, so not sure I want to temp him to air it out a bunch. Our base D already does that, but just shallow to intermediate. 

Cooks and Conley are both 4.3x's guys. I don't really like the thought of them toasting our DBs. If we played press a bunch, and had guys that could be effective pressing, I'd agree somewhat. But we really don't. And you can probably bet one of the guys will be in motion, meaning it will be hard to press him.

26 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Deep balls are historically a strength of his, so not sure I want to temp him to air it out a bunch. Our base D already does that, but just shallow to intermediate. 

Cooks and Conley are both 4.3x's guys. I don't really like the thought of them toasting our DBs. If we played press a bunch, and had guys that could be effective pressing, I'd agree somewhat. But we really don't. And you can probably bet one of the guys will be in motion, meaning it will be hard to press him.

True. Then perhaps disguised blitzes are the way to go? We can’t let him get into a rhythm on Sunday. Haven’t really followed the Texans much this year, is their run game a threat?

9 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

True. Then perhaps disguised blitzes are the way to go? We can’t let him get into a rhythm on Sunday. Haven’t really followed the Texans much this year, is their run game a threat?

I heard a Texans guy on with DD today he mentioned the run game has struggled. 

I wonder where their run defense ranks. What was impressive about their offense when I was watching that video was how much they spread things out.  Mills arm looks really good. This could be a interesting matchup with how bad our secondary has been playing.

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

I heard a Texans guy on with DD today he mentioned the run game has struggled. 

I wonder where their run defense ranks. What was impressive about their offense when I was watching that video was how much they spread things out.  Mills arm looks really good. This could be a interesting matchup with how bad our secondary has been playing.

Yes. I think our best shot at this is by swarming Mills and just not giving him time to throw (obviously this should be the key every game…), and Wentz and the offense need to have those extremely long drives like Monday night.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Their run game is not good at all. IIRC, Mills is a big play action guy, so not having much of a run attack threat probably hurts him big time.

I'm just not sure what to do lol.... last week we had a S in the box early begging Jackson to throw. And he did lol..... 

This might be a week to play more Dime to be honest. Just go 6 DBs on 2nd and 5+ or 3rd and 3+. 

Can't be much worse than Oke's coverage last week. Oke missed 2 Ts again this week, allowed a 100% completions rate, and gave up both a TD and a 2pt conversion. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I was just watching highlights from that Patriots Texans game. Mills looked pretty good. Lots of big plays that were wide open. Is the Patriots defense that bad? 

The week before Bills limited Texans to 109 total yards (8 yards in the 1st half) and only 6 first downs....if Colts defense doesn't dominate this week, we have some major issues.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bertjones7 said:

The week before Bills limited Texans to 109 total yards (8 yards in the 1st half) and only 6 first downs....if Colts defense doesn't dominate this week, we have some major issues.

I mean we "should", but do you really expect them too?

If I was in Vegas, I'd definitely put a prop bet on Mills having a personal best type of day.

A

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I mean we "should", but do you really expect them too?

If I was in Vegas, I'd definitely put a prop bet on Mills having a personal best type of day.

Not sure that I expect them to due to how badly we have played, but this is the week.  2 starting OL are out, rookie QB on the road who only had 1 good game in his career, & our defense getting crushed by media and fans.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bertjones7 said:

A

Not sure that I expect them to due to how badly we have played, but this is the week.  2 starting OL are out, rookie QB on the road who only had 1 good game in his career, & our defense getting crushed by media and fans.

Houston (with Watson) has probably averaged 350 yards passing per game on us lol. 

So their O I think knows our D coverage weaknesses.

And I know it was Watson, not Mills, but we also let Minshew have a career high QBR/PR against us IIRC. He only had like 170ish yards, but had 3 TDs and a 95% completion rate lol... 

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We should really consider kicking Buck around the line a bit like Darnold does...

40 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Houston (with Watson) has probably averaged 350 yards passing per game on us lol. 

So their O I think knows our D coverage weaknesses.

And I know it was Watson, not Mills, but we also let Minshew have a career high QBR/PR against us IIRC. He only had like 170ish yards, but had 3 TDs and a 95% completion rate lol... 

Our D has been the same for years now and most teams know how to expose its weaknesses now...Matt has yet developed a counter...

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Our D has been the same for years now and most teams know how to expose its weaknesses now...Matt has yet developed a counter...

Yup. Our ranks last you were inflated due to schedule vs weak teams. And teams that have done due diligence on our film have found areas and individuals to pick on. Willis in C2, Okereke in general (Baltimore really picked on him), and even Moore in verts. None of those are "injury" related defensive failures. Simply scheme and individuals. 

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Our ranks last you were inflated due to schedule vs weak teams. And teams that have done due diligence on our film have found areas and individuals to pick on. Willis in C2, Okereke in general (Baltimore really picked on him), and even Moore in verts. None of those are "injury" related defensive failures. Simply scheme and individuals. 

We have weak coverage from safetys and LBers and it's killing us, Okereke has been awful I thought he was supposed to be good in coverage...it's seems like all our safetys love to stop the run and short pass and that's it...we have played 2 SS so to speak all year lol...hopefully we get the Old Willis soon. I wish we never let Chachere go he would be a key piece playing CB and S both at a avg to good level...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We have weak coverage from safetys and LBers and it's killing us, Okereke has been awful I thought he was supposed to be good in coverage...it's seems like all our safetys love to stop the run and short pass and that's it...we have played 2 SS so to speak all year lol...hopefully we get the Old Willis soon. I wish we never let Chachere go he would be a key piece playing CB and S both at a avg to good level...

I definitely agree that we should have kept Chachere but does anyone know if he’s been making an impact in Philly?

Eeesh, our Injury Report hurts to read...

Leonard still injury plagued, Rhodes still out, Smith still out, Turray out, Paye still out,, Ya-Sin still out. (and this is with Nelson on IR already...)
And our starting kicker is hurt for a while, potentially gonna land on IR...

Good thing we are playing the Texans this week......

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

I saw him at DE a few times against BAL too.

Hmm. That’s crazy. Was it second half?  If it was that is bad we still couldn’t get pressure. Maybe he needs to stick at 3t. Or maybe it is just because of injuries to Paye.

Just now, Chucklez said:

Eeesh, our Injury Report hurts to read...

Leonard still injury plagued, Rhodes still out, Smith still out, Turray out, Paye still out,, Ya-Sin still out. (and this is with Nelson on IR already...)
And our starting kicker is hurt for a while, potentially gonna land on IR...

Good thing we are playing the Texans this week......

Leonard is going to be off a lot this season. Then he will play Sunday. Turay played with that injury against the ravens. Rock is the one we need back because Rhodes probably won’t clear protocol in time. That leaves Moore and Rogers at corner. Mills can pass that ball so Ir could be bad.

• Like 1