Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay: we will win 2 superbowls in next 10 years

Happy2BeHere

One of the things I appreciate about Irsay is (I believe) he genuinely wants to win. Of course making money is important too but for some owners that's all they care about. I think Irsay cares about winning as well. I wish I believed the same for an owner of a different professional sports team.

But I don't know if right now is the time to talk about how you are going to win X number of Superbowls in this decade. The team is 1-4. While I think the record will improve from a percentage standpoint by the end of this season I also think what we have is a borderline wild card team. There is still work to be done before this team can be considered a serious contender. The season thus far has confirmed that to me.

Superbowl?  Two?  Ballard and Frank have basically turned into Grigson and Chuck   It's 2015 again.  Your QB looks good enough, but you have a garbage defense and an O-line which has tried mightily to end Wentz's career.  Also, as in the Chuck era, you can't beat a playoff team to save your lives.

2 hours ago, ar7 said:

One of the things I appreciate about Irsay is (I believe) he genuinely wants to win. Of course making money is important too but for some owners that's all they care about. I think Irsay cares about winning as well. I wish I believed the same for an owner of a different professional sports team.

But I don't know if right now is the time to talk about how you are going to win X number of Superbowls in this decade. The team is 1-4. While I think the record will improve from a percentage standpoint by the end of this season I also think what we have is a borderline wild card team. There is still work to be done before this team can be considered a serious contender. The season thus far has confirmed that to me.

I love me some Irsay, but to come out and say that after such a monumental collapse and the fact that you have such a horrible record with no means with which to immediately improve it (strapped for cash, and losing your first draft pick this next year in all probability) just doesn’t seem to sit right with me.

how…how are you going to win 2 in 10 years. This coach I don’t think can get it done, and Ballard has not proven he can put together a complete team. He has been unable to improve enough to make it a legitimate contender 

5 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/jim-irsay-predicts-colts-will-win-at-least-two-super-bowls-this-decade

yea that is unlikely IMO. Your team gets whooped and you say we will get 2 superbowls in 10 years.

It's unlikely that any team wins two in ten years. So what?  It's no less likely than any other team strikes gold, gets hot and wins a couple.

3 hours ago, #12. said:

Superbowl?  Two?  Ballard and Frank have basically turned into Grigson and Chuck   It's 2015 again.  Your QB looks good enough, but you have a garbage defense and an O-line which has tried mightily to end Wentz's career.  Also, as in the Chuck era, you can't beat a playoff team to save your lives.

Funny how a loss affects people. That game was close and they dominated Baltimore until they started losing secondary players.

If Blankenship makes the winning field goal, no one is talking about not being able to beat a playoff team. 

3 hours ago, #12. said:

The OL is looking much better... You didn't see that Monday?  Back to form? Not hardly.....but they did the job well enough for sure.

28 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

The OL is looking much better... You didn't see that Monday?  Back to form? Not hardly.....but they did the job well enough for sure.

The problem is who was contributing for that o-line on Monday? (Not the guys the Colts are looking to sink a fortune into)

Nelson and Smith were out. 

Nelson was replaced by a U.D.F.A, without much notice, and has chronic back issues.

Smith just got a big contract he hasn't lived up to.

And Fisher, who played badly, may move on to another team for more money if he regains his pre injury form...or gets cut if he continues to play poorly for the rest of the season. 

Also, the o-line's core (Nelson, Kelly, Smith) so called "elite" period can be called into question by the lack of quality teams in their schedule the last couple of years. (look it up) 

1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

Aren’t we still owed “multiple” Lombardis from Pagano? 

I think the only way Frank gets to a Super Bowl is in his memories, but at least Irsay is setting the bar high. 

Funny you mention that. McAfee has Pagano on his show on Wednesdays. When he was asked about that he joked how it was 3 when he was there so Irsay has lowered it.

As a general note, I never thought i'd say this but that segment McAfee does with Pagano is really good. It's great to hear him speak without being limited by the boundaries of being a head coach.

Last week everyone had a great laugh when in preseason Jimbo said they would kick Bama's *....every show was saying what a joke it turned out to be with Aggies being destroyed by Arkansas and losing to Miss State after being preseason top 6 and the quote didnt age well at ALL...then they went and kicked Bama's * .....

Weirder things than 2 Super Bowls in 10 years have happened

1 hour ago, ar7 said:

Funny you mention that. McAfee has Pagano on his show on Wednesdays. When he was asked about that he joked how it was 3 when he was there so Irsay has lowered it.

As a general note, I never thought i'd say this but that segment McAfee does with Pagano is really good. It's great to hear him speak without being limited by the boundaries of being a head coach.

Is he still chopping wood?

3 hours ago, Ratking said:

The problem is who was contributing for that o-line on Monday? (Not the guys the Colts are looking to sink a fortune into)

Nelson and Smith were out. 

Nelson was replaced by a U.D.F.A, without much notice, and has chronic back issues.

Smith just got a big contract he hasn't lived up to.

And Fisher, who played badly, may move on to another team for more money if he regains his pre injury form...or gets cut if he continues to play poorly for the rest of the season. 

Also, the o-line's core (Nelson, Kelly, Smith) so called "elite" period can be called into question by the lack of quality teams in their schedule the last couple of years. (look it up) 

How did Nelson perform against Aaron Donald?

The optimism is fine and all, but don't like the "believe and it will happen" piece. Like fan belief will impact things lol.. 

Sounded to me like "please ignore the awful collapse, and keep buying gear and tix"

If you're going to make bold guarantees like that, how about free tickets, TV packages (for the out of staters), and gear to everyone if we don't have 2 SBs by 2030. Or how about just refunds lol. 

I am all for the owner being about winning Lombardis, but instead of coming off as a clown with tweets that seem as "pie in the sky" as ever at the current time, I would rather he privately set these goals and then in a rational, measured manner hold Ballard, Reich, etc accountable for the franchise trending towards that mark.  

Here is a piece of information that most people on this board already know: 2 SBs in the next 10 years is not happening unless the defense improves its ranking in categories like opponent complexion %,, pressures, sacks to the be in the top 10

Archived