Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kicker Try outs

Restinpeacesweetchloe

i am off the hod rod bandwagon we need a kicker with a strong leg .  If we get the season turned around we are gonna need to be almost perfect one bad kick with ruin the season .   We are lucky to be getting a very easy schedule the next two games with 49ers beat up and having a horrible offense .  if we can get to 3-4  the titans game could be played for first in the division .  titans have the bills and chiefs next could be 3-4 going into the colts game .

17 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i am off the hod rod bandwagon we need a kicker with a strong leg .  If we get the season turned around we are gonna need to be almost perfect one bad kick with ruin the season .   We are lucky to be getting a very easy schedule the next two games with 49ers beat up and having a horrible offense .  if we can get to 3-4  the titans game could be played for first in the division .  titans have the bills and chiefs next could be 3-4 going into the colts game .

Rods legs are week he was kicking from 60 in practice

20 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Rods legs are week he was kicking from 60 in practice

kickers hit 70 yarders in practice all the time . there is a difference in a game when rod tries for long kicks he sends the kick to the side . he has to put so much into it because of his size he ends up pulling it left or right . 

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I could see him hitting some longer FG that hot Rod hasnt and a tough decision has to be made. He has a big leg I believe. Teams should keep a kicker on the PS with the new rules.

Not too much longer, I would imagine - when he was with the Chargers he didn't hit too many long ones, and struggled getting touchbacks on his kickoffs, many were caught inside the 5 and returned.

Gotta be honest.  I'm sitting here pretty amused.

Hot Rod needs to be replaced because he's "not a long term solution" at kicker?

How many kickers have there ever been that were "long term solutions"?

Certainly not Dean Biasucci.  Nor Martin Grammatica.  Nor Mike Vanderjagt.  Not Kevin Butler.  What about Olindo Mare?  Or Sebastian Janikowski?  Cary Blanchard?  Raul Allegre?

There have only been 4 hall of fame kickers.

Not everyone is a a Morten Anderson.  Or a Jan Stenerud.  Or an Adam Vinatieri.

I like Hot Rod.  He's reliable enough to make the kicks.  He's quirky.  He's good enough.  For now.  I don't need him to be All World.  I just want him to make kickoffs into the endzone and most of his FG attempts.  And he's only in his second year.

Besides, I like his attitude.  I loved his t-shirt when he came to camp this offseason.

"Walk On Mentality"  Yeah.  I can get behind that.

I hope he retains his job when his injury is done.

But if he doesn't, well, that's the life of a kicker in the NFL.

3 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Gotta be honest.  I'm sitting here pretty amused.

Hot Rod needs to be replaced because he's "not a long term solution" at kicker?

How many kickers have there ever been that were "long term solutions"?

Certainly not Dean Biasucci.  Nor Martin Grammatica.  Nor Mike Vanderjagt.  Not Kevin Butler.  What about Olindo Mare?  Or Sebastian Janikowski?  Cary Blanchard?  Raul Allegre?

There have only been 4 hall of fame kickers.

Not everyone is a a Morten Anderson.  Or a Jan Stenerud.  Or an Adam Vinatieri.

I like Hot Rod.  He's reliable enough to make the kicks.  He's quirky.  He's good enough.  For now.  I don't need him to be All World.  I just want him to make kickoffs into the endzone and most of his FG attempts.  And he's only in his second year.

Besides, I like his attitude.  I loved his t-shirt when he came to camp this offseason.

"Walk On Mentality"  Yeah.  I can get behind that.

I hope he retains his job when his injury is done.

But if he doesn't, well, that's the life of a kicker in the NFL.

Justin Tucker is the fifth

8 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

so you think they faked an injury? 

Not one word was brought up til he missed the PAT. Rumor is it flared up pregame... no diagnosis or results given. He is just gonna kick through mystery pain and hope for the best...

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Not one word was brought up til he missed the PAT. Rumor is it flared up pregame... no diagnosis or results given. He is just gonna kick through mystery pain and hope for the best...

Either it's an excuse or we are dumb for not resting him awhile...

17 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Either it's an excuse or we are dumb for not resting him awhile...

Huh?

Not one word was brought up because nobody new.    It either happened pre-game or on the sidelines warming up. 

No diagnosis has been given because nothing will be shared until we figure out what we’re doing.   Are we putting Rod on IR or is he playing?   Are we signing another kicker or not.  

The pain may be a mystery to you, but it’s not to the Colts.   They’ll keep it private until they have to reveal info. 

Excuse?   Or Dumb?    wth?!?    

Just because you don’t know doesn’t mean the Colts don’t know.  

28 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Huh?

Not one word was brought up because nobody new.    It either happened pre-game or on the sidelines warming up. 

No diagnosis has been given because nothing will be shared until we figure out what we’re doing.   Are we putting Rod on IR or is he playing?   Are we signing another kicker or not.  

The pain may be a mystery to you, but it’s not to the Colts.   They’ll keep it private until they have to reveal info. 

Excuse?   Or Dumb?    wth?!?    

Just because you don’t know doesn’t mean the Colts don’t know.  

I'm pretty sure I heard one of the announcers say that he did something while warming up to come in for a kick. I don't think they meant pregame, but I am not 100% sure. 

26 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I'm pretty sure I heard one of the announcers say that he did something while warming up to come in for a kick. I don't think they meant pregame, but I am not 100% sure. 

I heard the announcer too.  

I was responding to the poster who seems completely confused and appears to be trying to build a case that the Colts are either lying or not telling the truth or simply incompetent.    All anti-Colts.   His was a confusing post. 

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I heard the announcer too.  

I was responding to the poster who seems completely confused and appears to be trying to build a case that the Colts are either lying or not telling the truth or simply incompetent.    All anti-Colts.   His was a confusing post. 

Yeah he must be trolling at this point. If a kicker misses he misses. Never seen a coach and entire organization lie to cover up a kicker's pride. 

On 10/13/2021 at 3:47 PM, PuntersArePeopleToo said:

I would say not unusual though, Pat did it too. Normally they only get a handful so if the scenario on Monday happens. But you dont want your punter doing both or else major issue would arise if he gets hurt or leg worn out. Plus his holding is a key piece.

As other has said, injured only reason, and as someone else has said that blocked FG is on Davenport for being terrible. Even over 50 there are maybe 5 players in the league I would trust to hit that, most will not (Prater, Tucker, McMahon are the 3 for sure I would). 

Hey I got a fist bump from him back when he was with us!

I would trust Butker with KC, he’s pretty good

On 10/13/2021 at 12:31 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Do posters in this thread understand Rod  is hurt?

We’re not doing a tryout because we don’t like him or he’s not good.   We’re doing a tryout because he’s hurt and likely can’t kick for us for a game or more.    

I missed the pregame stuff, any mention of his injury then?

2 hours ago, Mr.NotSoCreative said:

I missed the pregame stuff, any mention of his injury then?

No.    None.   I think the first mention came in the first half.    We got down close, lined up for a FG,  and our punter came out to attempt the kick which he missed.   Everyone was stunned.   The Ravens had a penalty and we tried the kick again, this time Blank came out and I think he missed.   

The sideline reporter later said she was told Blank got hurt in warmups, made it sound like pregame.   Later,  someone said Blank got hurt warming up in the sidelines as the team was driving.   Lots of confusion. 

Strange night. 

4 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Reich did say yesterday they expect it to be short term. But Keefer said he will probably not play the next two games.

I'd get Eddie back regardless, and just keep him on the PS. Not sure why we didn't grab him for the PS back when he was waived.

Just now, EastStreet said:

I'd get Eddie back regardless, and just keep him on the PS. Not sure why we didn't grab him for the PS back when he was waived.

Every team should keep one on the PS. With the new rules and 16 players it’s the smart thing to do. Especially when covid could take out your kicker at the last minute or any kind of injury.

This is what I found so *ic about Coach Reich on Monday. It’s second down from there 16. Coach knows that our kicker is hurt it has gotten worse is the game got along. I know this is controversial but what I would’ve thought he would’ve done or should have done was try to get a first down for two reasons make it a shorter kick and drain more time off the clock. Coach said he probably would’ve done that differently but In my humble opinion his 20/20 hindsight doesn’t help us. Coach is a smart guy but he makes some of the most boneheaded mistakes and I don’t think he is listening to reason 

9 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

This is what I found so *ic about Coach Reich on Monday. It’s second down from there 16. Coach knows that our kicker is hurt it has gotten worse is the game got along. I know this is controversial but what I would’ve thought he would’ve done or should have done was try to get a first down for two reasons make it a shorter kick and drain more time off the clock. Coach said he probably would’ve done that differently but In my humble opinion his 20/20 hindsight doesn’t help us. Coach is a smart guy but he makes some of the most boneheaded mistakes and I don’t think he is listening to reason 

This is what everyone has said. He looses the feel of the game. Almost like he has to much on his plate. It’s not play calling or his coaching.

On 10/13/2021 at 12:20 PM, chickenMan said:

I’m gonna be honest, 30/30 under 40 is nice, but how often do you see under 40 kicks? Maybe 50% of the time, max?

You are right, it is close to 50%

If you score TDs, 100% of the time :D

1 hour ago, indyagent17 said:

He needs Sirianni back and Sirianni might end up coming back next year, who knows with the Eagles??

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He needs Sirianni back and Sirianni might end up coming back next year, who knows with the Eagles??

He had the same issues with Nick. Reich is a good coach and knows how to call plays. He has to much going on and he loses the feel of the game. He needs someone in his ear to to help him with that. The game feel is where Reich has trouble. It could free him up if he wasn’t calling plays to have a better feel of what’s going on in the game. Or someone in his ear telling him these things.

26 minutes ago, chad72 said:

In the Colts system the OC designs the plays.  That hasn’t been the issue.  If you watch the plays the design is solid for the most part.  It’s the plays being called that’s the problem, mostly in the redzone.  That goes on the play caller and that’s Frank.

Next time we have a choice at training camp, and Blankenship is tied with the other guy... go with the other guy. First year, Blakenship missed the critical kick in Buffalo. First MNF at a critical game to ice it for us, he gets hurt. (Not his fault for getting hurt but the guy is just snake bitten). We really miss GOAT, Adam badly. 

On 10/14/2021 at 12:35 AM, WoolMagnet said:

They outta have fan tryouts like Chicago did that year.

Chug a beer, spin around 10 revolutions with your head on a bat, and kick a 35 yarder while being pelted  with eggs.  If you can handle that.... you’re an instant improvement over our current situation.

Or get the Tony Danza made for TV movie garbage man becomes kicker for the Eagles...lol!

Archived