Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blackmon received death threats after loss

coltsfeva

As fans, we know losing hurts. Some fans remain optimistic, some look to blame somebody and some, unfortunately, take things way to far.

So when our beloved Colts lose a game like they did Monday night, how do you handle it? Snap at your significant other? Kick the dog? Punch the wall? Or do you do something as *ic as the poster below did (threaten a player)? Disgusting!

I find coming to the forum to find like-minded optimists the only thing that helps, (that and a few days to recover). This fan base is divided between the “glass half empty” and “glass half full” camps.

I just hope this poster is not part of this forum.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/12/colts-julian-blackmon-death-threats-ravens/

My good Lord, seriously?! I was * Monday night, not gonna lie. But the most "angry" thing I did was turn the TV off as soon as Brown caught the ball in the endzone.. I walked up the stairs in silence since my girls were sleeping. Got in bed quietly, didn't mention anything about the game to my wife, and watched a bit of her show with her.. That's how I coped. And like you said coming onto the forum and grieving with ya'll helps alot too.

But come on.. these dudes are everyday people. I believe Julian Blackmon's family has been on michael pittmans youtube channel. They are just regular people, and some fans cant separate that, and put them on a pedestal .. that's horrible

That’s the age of social media. People can say whatever they want with no repercussions. Unfortunate people take it that far.

He will be okay though. He makes millions to lose a game. There are plenty of other jobs that get worse threats and deal with worse daily not on social media that get paid a lot less.

1 hour ago, coltsfeva said:

As fans, we know losing hurts. Some fans remain optimistic, some look to blame somebody and some, unfortunately, take things way to far.

So when our beloved Colts lose a game like they did Monday night, how do you handle it? Snap at your significant other? Kick the dog? Punch the wall? Or do you do something as *ic as the poster below did (threaten a player)? Disgusting!

I find coming to the forum to find like-minded optimists the only thing that helps, (that and a few days to recover). This fan base is divided between the “glass half empty” and “glass half full” camps.

I just hope this poster is not part of this forum.

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/12/colts-julian-blackmon-death-threats-ravens/

I like to joke and poke fun at my own team from time to time, but that's ridiculous...hopefully Law Enforcement is notified...

8 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I like to joke and poke fun at my own team from time to time, but that's ridiculous...hopefully Law Enforcement is notified...

Agreed. They need to have a "3 strikes and you're out" policy for this. First offense, 5 years in prison with no chance of parole. Second offense, 10 years in prison with no chance of parole. Third offense, rest of your life in prison with no chance of parole.

Sounds harsh, but it's very easy not to threaten someone's life. Also, when you do, if that player read it, he would have no idea if that person was serious, so it could have psychological effects on that athlete and his family.

Nip it in the bud and lock these people up!

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Drinking and twitter is nearly as bad as drinking and driving.

I'm glad he has the right attitude and sees that the people who make those kinds of threats aren't very well balanced and may need help.

54 minutes ago, bravo4460 said:

That’s the age of social media. People can say whatever they want with no repercussions. Unfortunate people take it that far.

These kinds of death threats have been around well before social media/Twitter. Baseball fans have heard of Bill Buckner, Hank Aaron and many others who received death threats. And those threats did not only come when people were drunk.

It is shameful. :facepalm: 

15 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

These kinds of death threats have been around well before social media/Twitter. Baseball fans have heard of Bill Buckner, Hank Aaron and many others who received death threats. And those threats did not only come when people were drunk.

Maybe I'm crazy.. I mean i would never threaten anyone's life for anything. But wouldn't it make more sense to at least threaten the other team? Like not your own!! I mean I could see being so mad you might want to egg Lamar's house or something ( I don't encourage that) but what sense does it make to threaten someone on your own team!

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

My good Lord, seriously?! I was * Monday night, not gonna lie. But the most "angry" thing I did was turn the TV off as soon as Brown caught the ball in the endzone.. I walked up the stairs in silence since my girls were sleeping. Got in bed quietly, didn't mention anything about the game to my wife, and watched a bit of her show with her.. That's how I coped. And like you said coming onto the forum and grieving with ya'll helps alot too.

But come on.. these dudes are everyday people. I believe Julian Blackmon's family has been on michael pittmans youtube channel. They are just regular people, and some fans cant separate that, and put them on a pedestal .. that's horrible

Responding like an adult?  That's just silly!

56 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. They need to have a "3 strikes and you're out" policy for this. First offense, 5 years in prison with no chance of parole. Second offense, 10 years in prison with no chance of parole. Third offense, rest of your life in prison with no chance of parole.

Sounds harsh, but it's very easy not to threaten someone's life. Also, when you do, if that player read it, he would have no idea if that person was serious, so it could have psychological effects on that athlete and his family.

I can't tell if you're joking. I absolutely agree that they should be kicked off twitter though. 

How was that loss Blackmon’s fault? The dude balled out until he was injured late in the game. Really I blame that loss entirely on bad injury luck and poor coaching by Reich and Flus. I think al of our players played at least adequately except for those third string DBs, and I mean it’s not their fault they suck, that’s why they’re third string.

51 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In my mind, those threats to Buckner and Aaron were even worse.  In those days, people had to write down their threats and send them in. 

Today, it's only takes a minute to send out a threat.  You don't wait until your emotions or common sense settle in. 

It's more of a knee jerk reaction...done by jerks (and that's being kind).

32 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

In my mind, those threats to Buckner and Aaron were even worse.  In those days, people had to write down their threats and send them in. 

Today, it's only takes a minute to send out a threat.  You don't wait until your emotions or common sense settle in. 

Yes, they were worse, but what I mean is that sending death threats to players has existed for a long time. I sometimes read comments on different forums and wonder if those posting the comments are among those making these threats. Some comments seem so over the top. 

3 hours ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

I  threw a remote and then made some posts on here but I would certainly never threaten anyone's life.  The team is garbage and an embarassment, one of the worst in the league but that does not justify threatening anyone's life.  

They are not garbage or an embarrassment. They played well. I recall someone here who wrote that the Colts were going to get "trounced" by the Ravens. (I believe that is the word that was used.) Hahaha. The Colts played a very competitive game. Fans around the country were impressed despite the loss. For Colts fans, the loss hurt but saying the Colts were an "embarrassment" is not even close to accurate.

My :2c: on a rare week day off. 

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

I did nearly the same thing. Went to the bedroom, hugged the kids and then joined the wife watching British Bakeoff. She always knows the Colts are doing bad because I go quiet. 

People sending threats like that aren't fans. They're just trolls and sick-minded individuals waiting for a reason to attack someone. 

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

I did nearly the same thing. Went to the bedroom, hugged the kids and then joined the wife watching British Bakeoff. She always knows the Colts are doing bad because I go quiet. 

Same, I'm not very loud anyways, but I'll def do like a "lets go!" oh I got excited when Pitt scored. but I make absolutely no noise when losing. just sit in disbelief and vent on here lol 

52 minutes ago, ColtsFan_98 said:

I  threw a remote and then made some posts on here but I would certainly never threaten anyone's life.  The team is garbage and an embarassment, one of the worst in the league but that does not justify threatening anyone's life.  

It’s one thing to vent frustrations on here about their performance but when people threaten peoples lives that’s going way too far.  I honestly hate social media (although I do use it to consume news) because it’s just given people a way to say stuff they would never say in real life to people.

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

People sending threats like that aren't fans. They're just trolls and sick-minded individuals waiting for a reason to attack someone. 

Yeah I’ve always said if the worst thing in your life is your football team you should be very happy because you have a great life.  I get frustrated during a game like anyone else but almost as soon as the game is over I let it go because it’s just a game I watch for enjoyment and it has no real barring on my life.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah I’ve always said if the worst thing in your life is your football team you should be very happy because you have a great life.  I get frustrated during a game like anyone else but almost as soon as the game is over I let it go because it’s just a game I watch for enjoyment and it has no real barring on my life.

Very true. I've got a lot of things happening in my life, that this forum and the Colts in general offer a brief escape from the continued  "bad news" I seem to get on a daily basis.  

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

You my friend really see the issue. Instant reactions are bad but having the illness in your mind to write hate down and look up the address to send it in is despicable. 

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I agree there should be some kind of legal repercussions for threatening someone's life, but 5 years in prison for the first offense? How about a restraining order, ankle bracelet, mandatory psych evaluation and/or anger management? 

1 hour ago, masterlock said:

I agree there should be some kind of legal repercussions for threatening someone's life, but 5 years in prison for the first offense? How about a restraining order, ankle bracelet, mandatory psych evaluation and/or anger management? 

I would also add to possible punishment, first offense he's forced to be a Lions fan! :funny:

Holy Cow... Death threats over a kids hobby / activity to gamble over/ entertainment is pretty nuts. People need to learn to exercise those colts fan demons on the forums. Colts get their throats slashed by the Ravens... I come here and rant.... Like the stupid fanatical fan I am. 

15 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Such a threat speaks of mental illness. And IMO delusional.
 Blackmon was in the right spot, and laying licks, better than any game i recall. It was nice progress.
And he is a smart, classy young man to listen to. I was proud of his efforts.

I think it is more about people gambling and losing lots of money.

I was reading an article about Sloan Stevens the tennis player.  She lost a tennis match in the US Open and she was the favorite.

In her instagram comments were several people threatening to kill her.

True it could be mentally ill people, but I believe 95% is due to gambling losses and anger over it.

Archived