Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Way Too Early Mock Draft Simulations

I used PFN's Mock Draft Simulator and guess shouldn't been surprised to see a lot of good college players not even ranked towards the top 100.

image.png.89fe0d450d5044061cac18150b278510.pngimage.png.b9a02665d1ba7edf25a80ad5ffa4ff0f.png

Had to forfeit all Round 1 for future draft picks assuming we will only have our Round 2 pick.  Computer prompted me for all trade requests directly from other teams and I couldn't be happier.

50. via CIN + 2023 3rd for IND 2023 5th

131. via DAL (131, 142, 172) for IND 105, 255

142. via DAL

170. via BUF-NE (BUF 117 – NE gets 128, 170,246) (NE gets 149, IND receives 170, 202, 246)

172. via DAL

202. via NE

246. via NE

OT Kellen Diesch as the last pick obviously no way he lasts until final round but somehow he only ranked out near 1000th had to search his name directly like a few others on my own draft board.

5 hours ago, Stephen said:

Draft best wr  on board

WR Drake London was my top target but he went two picks prior so I traded back.

There are a few WR's am hoping we can target in the draft:

WR Drake London

WR David Bell

WR Jahan Dotson

WR Romeo Doubs

WR Dontay Demus

WR Treylon Burks

WR Justyn Ross

WR Jalen Tolbert

WR John Metchei III

Wouldn't be surprised to see a big shakeup of the Colts WR group after this season.  Hilton and Pascal both am projecting to be gone.  I wouldn't mind going after Amari Cooper depending on how Dallas manages their cap situation.  As for FA targets I would try to acquire Courtland Sutton or Christian Kirk.

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Ballard HAS to come out of this draft with help at CB, LT, and potentially WR. Then we need to hope both Paye and Dayo show why they were drafted early. Buckner can't do it all himself.

My big board CBs are:

CB Roger McCreary

CB Trent McDuffie

CB Ahmad Gardner

CB Kyler Gordon

CB Martin Emerson

CB Matt Hankins

CB Derion Kendrick

CB Tre'Vius Hodges-Tomlinson

CB Mykael Wright

For LTs continue to keep tabs on LT Kellen Diesch.  Diesch at one point was the 10th highest graded run blocker in the nation and 5th among OTs.  Am not sure what Diesch current PFF grade is now but he did have a 90.6 grade earlier this season.  He also earned PFF TOW honors in Week 6.  The other player is RT Max Mitchell.  Mitchell has played LT, LG and recently RT.  Last year Mitchell earned second-team all-Sun Belt recognition.  PFF had a season grade of 91.3 for Max and he has earned PFF TOW 3 honors along with his whole team earning honors in both Weeks 3 and 5.  Other notable OL  are Charles Cross, Darian Kinnard and Nocholas Petit-Frere.  Ikem Ekwonu has also been playing well this season and PFF had a season grade of 93.8 and he earned TOW honors in Week 2.

Tight-end is also going to be an issue I fear after this season.  However, we should have 3 targets on our minds already with Mike Gesicki, Dallas Goedert and Will Dissly.  As for the NFL Draft the only TE that I want badly is Isaiah Likely who has earned a PFF grade of 95.9 this season and earned PFF Weeks 5 and 6 TOW honors.  Expect Likely to be drafted in Round 2.

17 hours ago, Stephen said:

Draft best wr  on board

I'm certainly not opposed to a WR but I think it could also be a TE. 

The WR group is obvious more unstable. We can't rely on Campbell to stay healthy, could use a more dynamic player than Pascal, and it's likely Hilton's last year in Indy.

However, i'd be equally pleased if the Colts could land a dynamic receiving TE. I suspect this could be Doyle's last year. I really like MAC and don't want to write off Kylen Granson either. I just think a dynamic TE would help this offense as much, maybe even more so, than another WR.

There are other needs too I agree with that BProland85 mentioned. Another playmaker stands out to me which I think can be a WR or a TE. (though I think CB is VERY close behind)

On 10/13/2021 at 7:26 AM, BProland85 said:

Ballard HAS to come out of this draft with help at CB, LT, and potentially WR. Then we need to hope both Paye and Dayo show why they were drafted early. Buckner can't do it all himself.

I think if you’re hoping for a LT, you’re likely going to be disappointed.    If we couldn’t find one last year, on a very good class of tackles,  then the odds of finding one in 22 when we won’t have our 1st round pick have to be incredibly small. 

I also think Fisher will eventually return to form.   There’s no reason to think he won’t get better at some point. 

I'm feeling better about our WR group.  It looks like Campbell can play and stay healthy.  It looks like Pittman can play X or the slot.  And there is always another year for Strachan to take the next step. 

I think TY and Pascal are probably going to be replaced by signing a vet FA.  Sign a vet with their money.  You want to sprinkle the corps with a mix of youth and experience, and adding a rookie to the PC, PItt, and Strach grouping is too much youth, IMO.  Add Patmon too.

And it looks like Wentz can find the receiver well enough.

I think we really need to draft a TE, and they can be gotten in rounds 2 and 3, maybe even round 4.

Zone corners can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

Zone safeties can be had in rounds 2 or 3.

LT is a problem if Fisher doesn't work out.

On 10/14/2021 at 3:20 PM, DougDew said:

I'm feeling better about our WR group.  It looks like Campbell can play and stay healthy.  It looks like Pittman can play X or the slot.  And there is always another year for Strachan to take the next step. 

I think TY and Pascal are probably going to be replaced by signing a vet FA.  Sign a vet with their money.  You want to sprinkle the corps with a mix of youth and experience, and adding a rookie to the PC, PItt, and Strach grouping is too much youth, IMO.  Add Patmon too.

And it looks like Wentz can find the receiver well enough.

I think we really need to draft a TE, and they can be gotten in rounds 2 and 3, maybe even round 4.

Zone corners can be had in rounds 2 and 3.

Zone safeties can be had in rounds 2 or 3.

LT is a problem if Fisher doesn't work out.

If you're just looking for a vet WR, why not just keep TY and Pascal? Unless you mean like a legit #1 vet.

• 1 month later...

I used PFN's mock simulator, and this was my draft results...

I had an offer of giving up Indy's 2nd, and in return got back the Chargers 2023 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, plus LA's 162nd pick in 2022.

Rasheed Walker

OT Penn State

(Would love getting a LT prospect like Walker for Indy. He has plenty of experience at LT, and is good athleticism.)

Martin Emerson

CB Mississippi State

(Comparable to a Cameron Dantzler, he would be a quality long corner needed to help replace Rhodes.)

Coby Bryant

CB Cincinnati

(Can never have too much depth at CB for Indy.)

Dontario Drummond

WR Mississippi

(Underrated WR with SEC experience.)

Tre' Williams

EDGE Arkansas

(Can never have enough pass rush, and I don't believe we resign Turay or Banogu longterm.)

2023 LAC 2nd

2023 LAC 3rd

2023 LAC 4th

On 10/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, NorthernColt said:

If you're just looking for a vet WR, why not just keep TY and Pascal? Unless you mean like a legit #1 vet.

With TY, his issues are one….   Can he stay healthy for 17 games?   And how much money would he be want?   Right now the answers look like “no” and more than we’d like to pay him.    I’d guess we’d offer him roughly half of what he made this year with the rest incentive based.

Pascal had had a dreadful year.  Key drops, fumbles, can’t get open.  Not sure what we’d offer?   

@Ohio Colt I am surprised Kyler Gordon lasted that long, not realistic, IMO. 

I do think getting someone like Christian Kirk or Zach Ertz would fill the WR / TE void reducing the need for 1 skill position and like we signed Eric Ebron for 2 years, I can see us signing Ertz to pair him up with Wentz, though my preference is Christian Kirk who might be a bigger need since he will fit the TY void to a tee, quick productive slot that can also burn deep. Both the above will fit our offense, IMO.

This is a PFN mock I did recently:

On 10/17/2021 at 6:23 PM, NorthernColt said:

Missed this quote. 

I think PC becomes the deep threat.  Get a vet that can play the role part time.  If that's TY, fine, but I think he's not reliable.  Maybe Coutee should be PCs back up.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, OhioColt said:

WR John Metchie III

Yep.

On 10/14/2021 at 12:12 AM, OhioColt said:

CB Roger McCreary

CB Kyler Gordon

Yep.

John Ridgeway.  NT, Arkansas. 6'6" 320.  Beast but might be had in the 3rd or 4th.  Now that we have a LDE in Dayo and maybe Lewis, and a RDE in Paye, I want somebody next to Defo that might command a double team.  A NT that needs double team would free up a lot of penetrators.

I think Ballard sticks with Willis and Blackmon as safeties and looks later in the draft for backup S like last year.  

2nd Rnd, CBs Gordon or McCreary.

3rd round Ridgeway

4th round, back end FS.  Palo from USC would be great, IMO.

Comp pick should be 4th or 5th.  Development OT.

These draft simulations are notoriously unreliable and not the least bit logical in rankings or especially trade values, at least in the early going. 

A 2 is getting traded for a 2, 3, and a 4?   I don’t believe I’ve ever seen that happen in my lifetime. 

They slowly get better the closer we get to the draft once more information is known. 

On 12/4/2021 at 3:53 PM, Wentzszn said:

Is there any way David Bell lasts until the colts pick?

Right now, what I’m reading is that Bell is ranked somewhere between 20-40.    With our first pick likely being around 50, it’s not likely he’ll be there for us… 

That said….   From what I’ve read, Bell is more like Michael Pittman than a burner like Campbell or Hilton.   And we have Strachan and Patmon backing up Pittman.   Odds are we’re looking for a different type of wide receiver.  More speed based than size based. 

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Right now, what I’m reading is that Bell is ranked somewhere between 20-40.    With our first pick likely being around 50, it’s not likely he’ll be there for us… 

That said….   From what I’ve read, Bell is more like Michael Pittman than a burner like Campbell or Hilton.   And we have Strachan and Patmon backing up Pittman.   Odds are we’re looking for a different type of wide receiver.  More speed based than size based. 

I certainly see the logic in going for more speed over size but i'm not so sure that is what Ballard/Reich will do. I think they value WRs with size who can run block and be in there on run plays. For what the offense does in terms of speed I think they might be ok with a depth guy or two (like Dulin, Coutee) to incorporate into the game. 

I'm not throwing this out there based on something specific Ballard/Reich have said though. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ran another simulation on PFN:

image.png.6fc1e742c1c17bc6b8f6bbc9e08f1492.png

54. Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

85. John Metchie III, WR, Alabama

122. Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State

165. Coby Bryant, CB, Cincinnati

178. Cole Turner, TE, Nevada

232. Peyton Hendershot, TE, Indiana

241. Deslin Alexandre, DT, Pittsburgh

255. Kana'i Mauga, LB, USC

Here’s what I got off of Fanspeak.

55: R2 P23 TE Jake Ferguson - Wisconsin

87: R3 P23 CB Derion Kendrick - Georgia

125: R4 P23 WR Reggie Roberson Jr. - SMU

165: R5 P23 OT Myron Cunningham - Arkansas

178: R5 P36 WR Charleston Rambo - Miami

232: R7 P13 LB Amari Gainer - Florida State

242: R7 P23 S Nolan Turner - Clemson

254: R7 P35 CB Alontae Taylor - Tennessee

Actually satisfied with this. I think Nolan Turner would be a special teams ace tbh. 

• 3 weeks later...

Another one, just for kicks :) 

image.png.434fd5e277af8ecb16a816cda4023b77.png

image.png.6cef8a292980d15876746e74e65dc7d0.png

Trade with Bucs moving back from No.47

No. 62 - Kyler Gordon, CB, Washington

No. 82 - Wan'Dale Robinson, WR, Kentucky

No. 94 - Verone McKinley, FS, Oregon

No. 119 - Zachary Carter, DT, Florida, interior pass rusher

No. 158 - Cole Turner, TE, Nevada

No. 178 - Matt Waletzko, OT, North Dakota

No. 238 - Eric Gray, RB, Oklahoma

No. 239 - Mario Goodrich, CB, Clemson

No. 255 - Kana'i Mauga, LB, USC

A reminder….

These mock simulation draft sites aren’t the least bit realistic.  Not in their player rankings or in the trades they propose.   

They only begin to get somewhat realistic come April when much more is known.   Been that way since the beginning.   To be fair, they’ve gotten better, but they’re still not very credible. 

On 1/11/2022 at 1:46 PM, stitches said:

PYoih9T.jpg

Oh well... Like I said in another thread - I want us to go heavy offense this year. 

Id be VERY happy with that draft

I think WanDale will turn a 4.35 40 time, and be a mid 2nd......

I would love it if he slid to us, AND we have a OT to develop

Did this one on TDN's Mock Draft Simulator:

47. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State - Potential TE1. TE's usually take a while to make an impact, so it may be a year or 2 until we see any impact. Not sure I love going TE here, but I think he'll be really good in a few years so it could be worth it.

82. Wan'Dale Robinson WR, Kentucky - Explosive WR that would give us a weapon out of the slot. Love his contact balance as well. I honestly don't think he falls this far.

118. Cam Taylor-Britt CB, Nebraska - Not sure what our defensive scheme will look like next season, but this guy is a perfect fit in our current zone-heavy scheme. Really physical guy that reminds me a lot of Rock. Really good in zone coverage and is a tackling machine for a CB. A CB that hits like a SS.

157. Jesse Luketa LB, Penn State - Run stopping LB that has good length, violent hands, and solid blitzing ability as well. He's a high motor, high energy guy that has been a captain throughout HS and multiple years at Penn State. Checks a lot of boxes, but gives us a compliment to DL. Not the best in coverage, but can cover the shallow zones.

177. Isaiah Pola-Mao S, USC - Rangy FS that could be a playmaker in our safety rotation. Some tackling issues, but can be coached up there.

216. Robert Cooper IDL, Florida State - Absolute space eater NT that isn't going to be a threat to rush the passer, but he's a monster in the run game. Stout against double teams and uses leverage very well.

235. Luke Tenuta OT, Virginia Tech - Swing tackle. He's 6'9", so there's leverage issues.

236. Stanley Berryhill III WR, Arizona - I honestly had to leave and panic picked him. Probably would've taken someone else here, although it is the 7th round, so it's no big deal at this point.

Common theme in the NFL right now - quick twitch separation and/or speed kills. When Deebo Samuel put the Senior Bowl CBs on skates, a lot of us were enamored with him. Everyone is looking for the next Deebo, Kupp, Tyreek Hill now. 

However if the last few drafts have shown anything, you get what you pay for with WRs. Tee Higgins, Pittman, Claypool from Round 2 WRs; and then Ridley, Lamb, Jefferson, Chase in Round 1, pass catcher talent in the first 2 rounds have been rewarding for most teams unless you’re the Eagles and get Raegor over Jefferson :)

On 10/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, ar7 said:

I'm certainly not opposed to a WR but I think it could also be a TE. 

The WR group is obvious more unstable. We can't rely on Campbell to stay healthy, could use a more dynamic player than Pascal, and it's likely Hilton's last year in Indy.

However, i'd be equally pleased if the Colts could land a dynamic receiving TE. I suspect this could be Doyle's last year. I really like MAC and don't want to write off Kylen Granson either. I just think a dynamic TE would help this offense as much, maybe even more so, than another WR.

There are other needs too I agree with that BProland85 mentioned. Another playmaker stands out to me which I think can be a WR or a TE. (though I think CB is VERY close behind)

We will get  a TE  next year in 1st rd, Michael Mayer.:rock:

On 1/24/2022 at 10:08 PM, chad72 said:

Common theme in the NFL right now - quick twitch separation and/or speed kills. When Deebo Samuel put the Senior Bowl CBs on skates, a lot of us were enamored with him. Everyone is looking for the next Deebo, Kupp, Tyreek Hill now. 

However if the last few drafts have shown anything, you get what you pay for with WRs. Tee Higgins, Pittman, Claypool from Round 2 WRs; and then Ridley, Lamb, Jefferson, Chase in Round 1, pass catcher talent in the first 2 rounds have been rewarding for most teams unless you’re the Eagles and get Raegor over Jefferson :)

I think that WRs and OT talent is getting to be the safest talent to judge.  Less risk that the assessment of success will be off.  

Pass rusher assessment is still inaccurate way too much, as is Corner.

And then there's QB.  Actually, I think GMs get it right about them, they just draft them high hoping they are wrong.  Johnny Manziel comes to mind.

I like the mock.  Comments:

On 1/24/2022 at 9:23 PM, Shive said:

47. Trey McBride TE, Colorado State - Potential TE1. TE's usually take a while to make an impact, so it may be a year or 2 until we see any impact. Not sure I love going TE here, but I think he'll be really good in a few years so it could be worth it.

I share the non love with going TE here in a deep TE class.  What I don't understand is how our new young TE would blend with Granson.  Or how Frank/Ballard think about TEs to begin with.  I understand the fast TE and the blocking TE (MAC) in a two TE set.  If Granson's pass catching is going to take snaps away from the new young TE, I don't think they pick TE this high.

If we go receiver here, I like Jalen Tolbert, WR South Alabama. Has height, hands, and the long speed to get deep.  And then there is the potential for OT.

82. Wan'Dale Robinson WR, Kentucky - Explosive WR that would give us a weapon out of the slot. Love his contact balance as well. I honestly don't think he falls this far.

Good play maker candidate.  I could actually see going  Tolbert and WanDale doubled up 2nd and 3rd.  WanDale targeted for slot since he's got the lateral balance and moves.  But, other mocks show him going before 82.  Again, OT here?

118. Cam Taylor-Britt CB, Nebraska - Not sure what our defensive scheme will look like next season, but this guy is a perfect fit in our current zone-heavy scheme. Really physical guy that reminds me a lot of Rock. Really good in zone coverage and is a tackling machine for a CB. A CB that hits like a SS.

Great spot to pick a zone corner.  Got beat in man coverage at critical times against the Big 10 receivers, but seems like the perfect zone CB.  Has the size to maybe play FS if he has the ball skills and speed.

157. Jesse Luketa LB, Penn State - Run stopping LB that has good length, violent hands, and solid blitzing ability as well. He's a high motor, high energy guy that has been a captain throughout HS and multiple years at Penn State. Checks a lot of boxes, but gives us a compliment to DL. Not the best in coverage, but can cover the shallow zones.

I don't know the guy but I think I'm done with our dual light LBers that can't connect on blitzes.  As long as he has good instincts and play recognition, that can make up for a half a step slow on foot speed in covering the zone.  The other skills are needed on our defense, IMO.

177. Isaiah Pola-Mao S, USC - Rangy FS that could be a playmaker in our safety rotation. Some tackling issues, but can be coached up there.

Yep.  Every mock simulation I look to pick this guy in the 170s. He's got size and range.  Frankly, with the short supply of FS candidates in this years draft, I think he will go before the 170s, maybe even 130s given his potential ceiling.

216. Robert Cooper IDL, Florida State - Absolute space eater NT that isn't going to be a threat to rush the passer, but he's a monster in the run game. Stout against double teams and uses leverage very well.

We need a fat guy for nothing other than short yardage situations.  If Grover is the best we have for that, we need a guy like this.

No comment on the others.

Mine are coming out like this now:

2) Wan’Dale Robinson, Slot Rec., Kentucky

3) Obinna Eze, LT, TCU

4) Sevyn Banks, Boundary CB, Ohio St.

5) Sam Roberts, 3Tech, NE Missouri St.

5) Cordell Volson, OL, N. Dakota St.

6) Joshua Williams, DB, Fayetteville St.

7) Dominique Robinson, DE, Miami (Ohio)

7) Ty Chandler, RB, N. Carolina

Note: I’m seeing more and more sites predicting we get a 5th and a 6th round compensatory picks.  So I went with that.

Archived