Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pass-rush stats

stitches

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

We suck at blitzing. I dont know how much they work on it but they just arent very good at it. 

I was watching the Ravens last night and was so envious at how good they are at disguising the blitz.

I don't think we're necessarily bad at blitzing. We just don't blitz much at all. Not saying we're good when we do it, but we had a few guys that he decent success rates last year. I did thread or post last year at the end of the season with some stats. IIRC, Leonard, Moore, and Willis had pretty good pressure/blitz rates, while guys like Oke were pretty horrible. Haven't looked at it this year though. 

Overall, we're just way too vanilla. We vary coverages a lot (probably too much, and mostly conservative) but up front we're about as bland as bland can be.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think we're necessarily bad at blitzing. We just don't blitz much at all. Not saying we're good when we do it, but we had a few guys that he decent success rates last year. I did thread or post last year at the end of the season with some stats. IIRC, Leonard, Moore, and Willis had pretty good pressure/blitz rates, while guys like Oke were pretty horrible. Haven't looked at it this year though. 

Overall, we're just way too vanilla. We vary coverages a lot (probably too much, and mostly conservative) but up front we're about as bland as bland can be.

Yeah I think teams have figured out our 3 blitzes lol

• Like 1

Buckner gets doubled up a lot. Muhammad, Turay and Lewis look to be getting hits but not sacks. Paye been injured/missing time. Dayo is a question mark. I almost feel like unless we grab someone in FA that’s established, we’re just going to have to roll with who we have and hope for progression. Or get more DB help to slow things down so the pass rushers get there. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yeah I think teams have figured out our 3 blitzes lol

I'm envious our their blitzing too. Baltimore is either blitzing, or their faking that they're blitzing most of the time. But their coming 35-40% of the time, vs our 12ish% of the time.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Buckner gets doubled up a lot. Muhammad, Turay and Lewis look to be getting hits but not sacks. Paye been injured/missing time. Dayo is a question mark. I almost feel like unless we grab someone in FA that’s established, we’re just going to have to roll with who we have and hope for progression. Or get more DB help to slow things down so the pass rushers get there. 

They just dont seem to have any top end guys except Buck. Grover is a very good NT IMO, but not a guy that can be a gamewrecker like a Vita Vea type. Turay is a pretty good situational rusher, who struggles against the run sometimes. Lewis is a top shelf rotational guy IMO, but he is not a top end starter. Muammed is, again, a solid backup who should never be starting. Paye has only played 3 games and actually been descent, but has yet to grab a sack. Banogu has veen dissapointing especially after the pre season he had.

I dont understand this narrative that Ballard has brought in horrible players. He has brought in good players. But he hasnt landed the elite guy we need, yet. Hopefully Paye and Dayo can be those guys.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

It's an indictment of Chris Ballard, and the defensive coaching staff.

However, this is exactly what we expected it'd be. We lost our top two rushers, didnt bring in, or were unable to secure cheap replacements. So here we are. It'll continue to be a struggle through the 1st two quarters of this season. The offense has to become a more prolific unit to balance things out.

Denico Autry, 31 yo: 3 sacks, PFF 51.3.

Justin Houston, 32 yo: 2 sacks, PFF 61.6.

Tyquan Lewis, 26 yo: 2 sacks, PFF 76.2.

Al-Quadin Muhammad, 26 yo: 3 sacks, PFF 65.0.

Kwity Paye, 22 yo: 0 sacks, PFF 74.2.

Kemoko Turay, 26 yo: 2 sacks, PFF 55.3.

Looks like Ballard actually got better and younger players for less money. And how many DEs should we keep?

• Like 5

9 hours ago, stitches said:

This is what Ballard has been saying since the start is main priority and cornerstone to what his teams should be built around. This is horrendous. And it cannot and should not be waved away with "Luck retired 2 weeks before the season 2 years ago, give it time". We are 5 years into Ballard's tenure and this has been the focus of Ballard and the FO. He has spent tons of resources on it. And we are dead last. 

Let’s tap the breaks a bit….

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I count 5 top 100 picks, not 6.

17 — Basham 

18 — Turay, Lewis

19 — Banogu

20 — N/A

21 — Paye  (He says he’s excluding Dayo)

I count 5.

As for Buckner, he was signed to an $84 million dollar contract, not $100 mill.   He’s playing below his standards this year.  But isn’t everyone?

some interesting numbers:

- Colts are tied for 20th in pass-rush win rate

- AQM is definitely as some mentioned one of the most double-teamed edge players. but that kills his win rate and he has not overcome it. no surprise since he isnt known as an elite pass rusher

- AQM is still a top-10 run-stop win rate

AQM  has done his part. We just need to have guys that win their matchups more. Hopefully Paye helps that. And Dayo whenever we get a look at him.

Just some fun little tidbits. 

• Like 1

Unless we change DC and/or become more aggressive our DL isn't going to change much.  Next year I figure Lewis and AQM should get resigned and partner up with Paye and Odeyingbo.  Bucker and Stewart will remain starters but at some point we will need to replace Stewart in the near future.

The draft class does have some very good IDL players with either Davis (Jordan/Tyler), Travis Jones, Logan Hall and Matthew Butler.  Very little options in FA but a couple backups am interested in like Harrison Phillips and Tim Settle.

Continuing with the draft and potential Round 2 selections at Edge could be Kinglsey Enagbare, Adam Anderson, Drake Jackson, Nik Bonitto, Mitchell Agude.   Other Edge players to keep an eye on are Jordan Strachan, Arnold Ebiketi, and Zachary Carter.

Really don't know how much more we can add to our DL to make them improve other than a coaching/tactic change to a more aggressive attack.  Sadly its one of the negatives I have had about the Colts over the past few years where we don't hurry and pressure other teams.  We have the talent just not fully utilizing the players to their full potential. 

20 hours ago, bravo4460 said:

Big yikes. They continue to refuse to sign FA DL pass rushers. (Autry was the only one seeming to work, but then we refused to re sign him)

Buckner is good but has not been playing like a $100M DL..

This team has a lot more holes than just DL though.

The Buckner trade was a bad Ballard decision. He's a solid DT, above average but he's not a game changer and I agree, he's not worth 100M, that's just insane.

Ballard keeps hoping that some of these average pass rushers will somehow all of a sudden become great, it's not going to happen and play vanilla Cover 2 isn't going to help with the pass rush.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'm envious our their blitzing too. Baltimore is either blitzing, or their faking that they're blitzing most of the time. But their coming 35-40% of the time, vs our 12ish% of the time.

They aren't playing vanilla Cover 2 like the Colts.

17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

This is a pretty good summary of our defense and our current issues.

I would be curious where we rank in the league over the past 2-3 years in % of times we play a press-man aggressive coverage all around(if any entity has kept track of that). My suspicion is that similar to blitz rates, we would be in the bottom 5 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ryta1203 said:

The Buckner trade was a bad Ballard decision. He's a solid DT, above average but he's not a game changer and I agree, he's not worth 100M, that's just insane.

Ballard keeps hoping that some of these average pass rushers will somehow all of a sudden become great, it's not going to happen and play vanilla Cover 2 isn't going to help with the pass rush.

Yeah a 2 time All Pro DT isn’t game changer. The 3rd best interior lineman is above average is funny. It was the correct trade 100 percent of the time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Let’s tap the breaks a bit….

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I count 5 top 100 picks, not 6.

17 — Basham 

18 — Turay, Lewis

19 — Banogu

20 — N/A

21 — Paye  (He says he’s excluding Dayo)

I count 5.

As for Buckner, he was signed to an $84 million dollar contract, not $100 mill.   He’s playing below his standards this year.  But isn’t everyone?

I think the 1st we gave up for Buckner is included. 

49 minutes ago, stitches said:

I think the 1st we gave up for Buckner is included. 

That’s not the way his tweet is written. 

He writes we’ve spent 6 top-100 draft picks on the DL (then he goes on to say) AND traded a 1st round pick for Buckner.   His key word is AND.    The way it’s written, he’s implying we spent 7 top-100 picks.  

It’s a badly constructed tweet.   

By the way, who is Sam Sinclair?   He’s not affiliated with any media.   He’s not a journalist.   His own Twitter account calls him an Indiana graduate.   But that’s it.   So he’s just a fan.   

7 hours ago, ryta1203 said:

They aren't playing vanilla Cover 2 like the Colts.

We're not really playing vanilla C2 all the time at all.

Here's a summary of our 2020 scheme from PFF.

2020 Defensive Pass Efficiency Rank: 13
2020 Defensive Rush Efficiency Rank: 11
2020 Base Coverage: Cover 3
2020 Third-Down Mentality: Sit back in quarters
(which is more or less prevent)

Though they do base out of Cover 3, with 28% of their snaps coming in that coverage, defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus mixes his coverages a lot. He doesn’t rank in the top 15 in usage rate for any coverage except for quarter-quarter-half; he likes to sit in a one-gap four-down front style without blitzing, hoping to use those four linemen to get pressure.

That hasn’t worked well even with the addition of DeForest Buckner. The Colts' defensive linemen ranked just 23rd in pressure rate, and they finished 12th league-wide last season in EPA allowed per play.

And we're currently near the bottom in terms of pressures last I looked.

And just FYI, quarter-quarter-half (referenced above) is also known as Cover 6 (below)

1920px-Cover_6.svg.png

6 hours ago, SR711 said:

This is a pretty good summary of our defense and our current issues.

I would be curious where we rank in the league over the past 2-3 years in % of times we play a press-man aggressive coverage all around(if any entity has kept track of that). My suspicion is that similar to blitz rates, we would be in the bottom 5 

Yup. Not sure anyone that tracks that. I see time to time a few tweets that talk about press %s, but never can find good data.

But I do agree. We rarely play press. Sometimes when a guy is burning us, we might step up a little bit and try to get a pop, but it seems pretty rare. I thought we'd do it more when we drafted Rock, as I believe he pressed a lot in college. But nope... But there's really no reason not to pop a small speedster within 5 yards to knock him off his route and disrupt timing. Instead we give them cushion and enough space to build up speed or take an easy underneath catch lol. 

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Not sure anyone that tracks that. I see time to time a few tweets that talk about press %s, but never can find good data.

But I do agree. We rarely play press. Sometimes when a guy is burning us, we might step up a little bit and try to get a pop, but it seems pretty rare. I thought we'd do it more when we drafted Rock, as I believe he pressed a lot in college. But nope... But there's really no reason not to pop a small speedster within 5 yards to knock him off his route and disrupt timing. Instead we give them cushion and enough space to build up speed or take an easy underneath catch lol. 

I’m telling you, watching that Bills vs Chiefs game, it sure felt like the Bills were smothering the Chiefs’ WRs andcTEs and it worked quite well.  I wish we could do that.  Need pressure from that front four though.

• Like 1