Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts pass-rush stats

stitches

Big yikes. They continue to refuse to sign FA DL pass rushers. (Autry was the only one seeming to work, but then we refused to re sign him)

Buckner is good but has not been playing like a $100M DL..

This team has a lot more holes than just DL though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

This is what Ballard has been saying since the start is main priority and cornerstone to what his teams should be built around. This is horrendous. 

Absolutely.  And the Def. Coordinator is a joke.  Ballard is not as good as the press want us to believe.  He has a losing record since he has been here and so does Reich.  Grigson and Pagano never had a losing season, but these 2 are supposed to be awesome.  It's a joke.  This team is a train wreck.  They are not good at all.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jchandler7 said:

Ballard is trying ill give him that but... wow!!

I was going to say - Grigson tried to fix the OL too, but failed... but that's not exactly the case. The highest pick Grigson spent on an OL player is a second round pick on Mewhort who was pick 59. 

Ballard has truly tried hard. But does it make a difference whether you've tried or not if the results are such that I would actually have preferred if he didn't try and had spent all those resources on other positions. 

• Like 4

Just now, IrsaysArmy said:

Is it just me or has Buckner been pretty quiet so far. 

He’s getting double and triple teamed almost every play. They’re not afraid to leave everyone else 1 on 1 so why not put the focus on the guy you don’t want to leave 1 on 1?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

I was going to say - Grigson tried to fix the OL too, but failed... but that's not exactly the case. The highest pick Grigson spent on an OL player is a second round pick on Mewhort who was pick 59. 

Ballard has truly tried hard. But does it make a difference whether you've tried or not if the results are such that I would actually have preferred if he didn't try and had spent all those resources on other positions. 

Agree with points made, but wanted to add Ryan Kelly drafted 1st round by Grigson.

• Like 1

It's an indictment of Chris Ballard, and the defensive coaching staff.

However, this is exactly what we expected it'd be. We lost our top two rushers, didnt bring in, or were unable to secure cheap replacements. So here we are. It'll continue to be a struggle through the 1st two quarters of this season. The offense has to become a more prolific unit to balance things out.

5 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Agree with points made, but wanted to add Ryan Kelly drafted 1st round by Grigson.

Good correction... for some reason I've erased the last year of Grigson's time with the Colts from my mind.  

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Grigson did draft Ryan Kelly on his way out but acknowledged he went against his gut (thank goodness).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stitches said:

Yea, i agree. I'm not saying he's been great, just stating that he has tried. He seems to have a better eye for O talent than he does for Defensive players. People are down on the O-line he's assembled this yr but imo, minus a couple games our O-line has played pretty well if you factor in all the injuries we've had (minus Davenport). His trade for Pryor seems to be working out and Chris Reed has been a very solid pickup. 

I'd really like to see Reich get his guy at DC after this season. I can't stand Eberflus' bend but don't break, cover 2 crap. It's ok if you have a pass rush BUT WE DON'T! Best games we've played has been when we've came out and played aggressive. Im holding out hopes that Paye, Dayo & Turay can start creating some rush mid to late season. But we still need to pickup, trade or draft a true #1 corner, another solid LB (i was * we let Walker leave for peanuts) and a stud SS before our D will be able to be legit.

I hate to start being one of those guys, but I am warming up to the idea of moving on from Eberflus, I just don't think he is maximizing the talent we have, For example Lewis hasn't gotten much utilization before Paye's injury but to me he has been playing better the more he gets used. Also we have seen plenty of old and young DCs be able to maximize the talent on defense an easy example is Dan Quinn with the cowboys.

Overall Eberflus seat is getting warm and I think Ballard/Reich should look at what DCs are available at the end of the season if he can't start getting more from the defense as they get healthy.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I hate to start being one of those guys, but I am warming up to the idea of moving on from Eberflus, I just don't think he is maximizing the talent we have, For example Lewis hasn't gotten much utilization before Paye's injury but to me he has been playing better the more he gets used. Also we have seen plenty of old and young DCs be able to maximize the talent on defense an easy example is Dan Quinn with the cowboys.

Overall Eberflus seat is getting warm and I think Ballard/Reich should look at what DCs are available at the end of the season if he can't start getting more from the defense as they get healthy.

Lots of questionable calls and blitz's last night leaving the middle of the field wide open.

Taking a step back and looking at this data, these are the things that come to mind:

1. Is it possible that with the same exact players but a different DC, could we generate more pressure/pass rush?

2. It's a numbers game. We mainly have 1 person for opposing teams to focus on, on our D-line, (D. Buckner). They can double team him and go man-to-man against the other D-lineman, who can't win their 1-on-1 matchups. With Houston and Autry gone, this has been a major issue this year, and that's why D. Buckner has been relatively quiet.

3. We do play different coverages on defense aside from just Cover-2 soft zone defense; however, that's our base defense. That means that most of the time we are banking on our 4-down lineman to get to the QB. And they haven't. 

4. Should we look at other ways to generate more pressure? Blitzes by the LBs? Blitzes by DBs? I've seen a very vanilla defense. One that consistently allows for opponents to have career days.

5. What changes need to be made by our defensive scouting department? Give less weight to RAS scores and go by actual college production?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hooksalot said:

Absolutely.  And the Def. Coordinator is a joke.  Ballard is not as good as the press want us to believe.  He has a losing record since he has been here and so does Reich.  Grigson and Pagano never had a losing season, but these 2 are supposed to be awesome.  It's a joke.  This team is a train wreck.  They are not good at all.

Grigson had Andrew luck

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He’s getting double and triple teamed almost every play. They’re not afraid to leave everyone else 1 on 1 so why not put the focus on the guy you don’t want to leave 1 on 1?

Damn. Goes to show you how weak our pass rush is. 

8 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Taking a step back and looking at this data, these are the things that come to mind:

1. Is it possible that with the same exact players but a different DC, could we generate more pressure/pass rush?

2. It's a numbers game. We mainly have 1 person for opposing teams to focus on, on our D-line, (D. Buckner). They can double team him and go man-to-man against the other D-lineman, who can't win their 1-on-1 matchups. With Houston and Autry gone, this has been a major issue this year, and that's why D. Buckner has been relatively quiet.

3. We do play different coverages on defense aside from just Cover-2 soft zone defense; however, that's our base defense. That means that most of the time we are banking on our 4-down lineman to get to the QB. And they haven't. 

4. Should we look at other ways to generate more pressure? Blitzes by the LBs? Blitzes by DBs? I've seen a very vanilla defense. One that consistently allows for opponents to have career days.

5. What changes need to be made by our defensive scouting department? Give less weight to RAS scores and go by actual college production?

Paye just needs to get healthy Dayo to. The DC should be fired

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Buckner is good but has not been playing like a $100M DL..

In working out with Banogu during the offseason, we were hoping Buckner would rub off on him.  Maybe it worked the other way around and Banogu rubbed off on Buckner.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, #12. said:

In working out with Banogu during the offseason, we were hoping Buckner would rub off on him.  Maybe it worked the other way around and Banogu rubbed off on Buckner.  

Bustnogu

52 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I don’t care for Eberflus either, but without a pass rush no defensive coordinator will be much good. 

45 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Possible, but doubt it. Pass-rush is one of the most individual skills in football. Sure, things like blitz packages play some part in it on team level, but to a huge degree it is dependent on the talent you have on the DL

I read some stat that was insane in my eyes - AQM was among the players most frequently doubled in the league. This does NOT speak well for this DL either. 

Yep, that scheme is one of the least blitz heavy ones in the league. 

I don't mind RAS/athleticism measurements. They actually correlate relatively well with success in the league for pass-rushers. What I'm not sure correlates super well with success is "high character" which seems to be something Ballard is emphasizing. Now, that doesn't mean completely ignore it, but use it more as elimination factor for some complete nutcases rather than as an important factor. 

• Like 2

Horrific.

For someone who supposedly wants to dominate in the trenches Ballard hasn’t found the top class players at DE for that to happen.

Buckner simply isn’t enough. Paye is still young and could be that guy, but this position continues to be an issue. Ballard deserves criticism here. 

Offensive line when healthy is a unit I’ve been thoroughly impressed with up until this season, so I’ll give Ballard credit here. They’ve been so good but unfortunately they’ve been banged up, which influenced their play negatively this season.

1 hour ago, twfish said:

Lots of questionable calls and blitz's last night leaving the middle of the field wide open.

It's the blitzing that has been driving me crazy (specifically corner blitzes) because they have largely been ineffective at putting any pressure on the QB and have allowed some easy dump off passes for big plays/conversions.

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

As for answers:

1. I'm starting to think the answer is yes

2. As for DL I'm taking some of the 4th quarter out of it because they were gassed going against the hurry up and we weren't able to rotate well. I thought Lewis had a good game making some great tackles against the run and he had 1.5 sacks.

3. As for the different coverages we play a lot of different schemes to the point I think last year we played cover 3 for the majority of the season but we only used it 28% of the time, indicating we switch it up alot. This makes me think our defense is to complicated and that's why we see alot of missed assignment plays and it's harder for corners to come in and play well. Here's PFF take on our defensive scheme in 2020:

Though they do base out of Cover 3, with 28% of their snaps coming in that coverage, defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus mixes his coverages a lot. He doesn’t rank in the top 15 in usage rate for any coverage except for quarter-quarter-half; he likes to sit in a one-gap four-down front style without blitzing, hoping to use those four linemen to get pressure. 

That hasn’t worked well even with the addition of DeForest Buckner. The Colts' defensive linemen ranked just 23rd in pressure rate, and they finished 12th league-wide last season in EPA allowed per play

Look at the cowboys last year, they had a very complex defense and they looked terrible now with Quinn and largely the same players they have looked way better.

4. please no more CB blitzes it has burnt us and allowed big gains more than help create a blitz

5. I think you can see where I'm going with this from my previous responses, where I think we have the talent we just need to use it better. Does that mean simplifying the defense idk

2 hours ago, runthepost said:

Well we drafted 4 second round pass rushers and they have all been big time bust players so I’m not shocked.

I agree with Turay and Bangou but Lewis has been solid (unspectacular but solid) and Dayo hasn’t even played yet. We have no idea how good or bad he will be.

Who are the 6 top 100 picks on the DL?

I got Lewis, Basham, Turay, Banogu, Paye, plus Dayo.

Thats 6 including Dayo.

Basham got cut and we were playing a different system when he was here. So Im not sure why he even matters. So only 3 draft picks since 2017 actually played last night, and 2 of those guys actually played pretty well. I like Paye and think hes gonna be good. And Dayo is a mystery. But they didnt play last night. So why are they in the conversation? To skew these stats a little?

Most likely.

The people parading as "media" these days are just dipsticks with twitter accounts 9 times out of 10. These criticisms are silly most of the time.

3 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

I agree with Turay and Bangou but Lewis has been solid (unspectacular but solid) and Dayo hasn’t even played yet. We have no idea how good or bad he will be.

Turay hasnt been a bust. He had 2 sacks last week and made a couple really nice plays last night as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

Who are the 6 top 100 picks on the DL?

I got Lewis, Basham, Turay, Banogu, Paye, plus Dayo.

Thats 6 including Dayo.

Basham got cut and we were playing a different system when he was here. So Im not sure why he even matters. So only 3 draft picks since 2017 actually played last night, and 2 of those guys actually played pretty well. I like Paye and think hes gonna be good. And Dayo is a mystery. But they didnt play last night. So why are they in the conversation? To skew these stats a little?

Most likely.

The people parading as "media" these days are just dipsticks with twitter accounts 9 times out of 10. These criticisms are silly most of the time.

Turay hasnt been a bust. He had 2 sacks last week and made a couple really nice plays last night as well.

Ill give you that on Turay but he just seems to disappear for games at a time. He hadn’t really done anything this season until last week. We will see if the good play continues.

Keep in mind that our woes are partly products of scheme. We're a 4-3 who rarely blitzes. IIRC bottom 5 in blitz % at only about 12-13%. And even in the 4-3, we don't stunt a lot or move guys around a lot to try and create chaos.

Why does this matter? Because OL's can settle in and get comfortable. They don't have to worry much about a LB or DB crashing the party, and when we do send someone, it's normally on obvious pass downs and we're pretty obvious about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, GoHorse1992 said:

Ill give you that on Turay but he just seems to disappear for games at a time. He hadn’t really done anything this season until last week. We will see if the good play continues.

I think we are lacking valuable depth rn. And these are problems Paye and Dayo can hopefully help remedy. But obviously that doesnt help RN.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind that our woes are partly products of scheme. We're a 4-3 who rarely blitzes. IIRC bottom 5 in blitz % at only about 12-13%. And even in the 4-3, we don't stunt a lot or move guys around a lot to try and create chaos.

Why does this matter? Because OL's can settle in and get comfortable. They don't have to worry much about a LB or DB crashing the party, and when we do send someone, it's normally on obvious pass downs and we're pretty obvious about it.

We suck at blitzing. I dont know how much they work on it but they just arent very good at it. 

I was watching the Ravens last night and was so envious at how good they are at disguising the blitz.

• Like 1