Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That's MY QB


bsteves
 Share

Recommended Posts

its weird people are so hard on wentz in here the guy had zero training camp got hurt like the second practice .  he has been badly injured every single game just had his first week of full practice last week .  what you saw monday night will soon be the norm with wentz here putting up 300 plus yards multiple touchdowns , book it .   if wentz never got hurt and had training camp we would of beat the rams and titans no doubt about it . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

It's a function of our "anyone can produce (content) society"  anyone can throw up tiktoks, Instagram b.s., become a Twitter "journalist" make twitch streams.... It's all basically what used to be amateur content, but people have decided they'll consume it since a large, large portion of it is "free". The "creator" or the platform charge advertising fees, income is generated, and the masses don't care how shoddy or underdeveloped the product is, because for them.....the price(little to nothing in most cases) is right...

 

And this, STARS are born who have little to no talent, or developed skill....as writers, journalists, musicians, actors....simply because people consume the crap they produce,and money is being made.  

 

These sports "writers" are no different. With the previous, or really any different, business model ...you'd never hear of these people.

 

 

 

Has anyone claimed that WIlson is a "star" and his "talent" means his opinion carries more weight?

 

I don't understand why some people are attempting to turn this into a debate about Wilson personally based on the type of website he wrote for and the way it's monetized.

 

I'm pretty sure Wilson isn't writing for SB any longer. I think he stopped awhile ago. He obviously still tweets about the Colts but it's really no different from those of us on here sharing our opinion. 

 

It's fine to disagree with what he tweeted or push back on whatever point he was attempting to make. I myself think 5 games is premature to put stock into the numbers one way or the other. It's really too small of a sample size and anyone can put whatever spin on them they want to push the preferred narrative.

 

I just don't understand the mindset to personally attack him just because you disagree with him. I don't even follow the guy on Twitter but some of the reactions from those who disagree with him have been overblown.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

its weird people are so hard on wentz in here the guy had zero training camp got hurt like the second practice .  he has been badly injured every single game just had his first week of full practice last week .  what you saw monday night will soon be the norm with wentz here putting up 300 plus yards multiple touchdowns , book it .   if wentz never got hurt and had training camp we would of beat the rams and titans no doubt about it . 

It’s crazy to me that last week was his first week of full practice. He was off the injury report today also. I always felt the offense would eventually get it together and they are improving each week. Not a coincidence that last week was his first full week and his next game.

 

The more I listen to him in pressers and interviews I am like he is so likeable. How did eagle fans hate him so much.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s crazy to me that last week was his first week of full practice. He was off the injury report today also. I always felt the offense would eventually get it together and they are improving each week. Not a coincidence that last week was his first full week and his next game.

 

The more I listen to him in pressers and interviews I am like he is so likeable. How did eagle fans hate him so much.

people here forget luck went 8-8 and missed the playoffs when he played every game in 2016 .fans made injury excuses for luck but for wentz they want him to be a mvp while injured .   as the season goes on he will get red hot like taylor did last year and shut up the haters .  next year will be even better i bet money he is top 5 in stats next year .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't care about Josh Wilson's opinions, he posted stats and this is what I've posted here too. I agree with all the caveats but you can still evaluate what Wentz is doing even in the presence in all those mitigating factors around him(questionable playcalling, OL issues, etc.). I agree he's improved a lot compared to last year. I don't agree we can say he's the guy based on what we've seen so far. I just need to see more games like yesterday and less games like the first 3 games, in which I want to point out - he wasn't really the problem, but he wasn't the solution either.  

 

My reaction was primary to JW's lazy efforts. 

I agree Wentz still has a lot to prove, and it's still early.

 

I will say this though, I wasn't a big fan of the trade when it happened. I warmed up after deep diving what happened last year with his OL and pass catchers last year in Philly (RBs and D also took steps back too though). When our OL took a nose dive, and TY went on IR, I expected a performance similar to Philly last year. And that has not happened.

 

In short, the expectations I've set for him given the situation, have easily been surpassed thus far. And if he's performing average to better than average in most stats under the current situation, then I'm very encouraged, and can logically assume better performance as our OL comes together and he gels with pass catchers. Not to mention our running game getting it going finally.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, EastStreet said:

 

 

Seattle and Miami games had decent mixes of passes too. 

I don’t remember too many deep passes in those games. Bur doesn’t mean there wasn’t. What was nice about the ravens game was the variety and it kept the ravens off balance. It wasn’t predictable for once.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t remember too many deep passes in those games. Bur doesn’t mean there wasn’t. What was nice about the ravens game was the variety and it kept the ravens off balance. It wasn’t predictable for once.

I was going to link those Nextgen charts, but Sinclair had another tweet with all 4.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Stephen said:

With Hilton returning the deep game will return. Still would like to see Campbell step up deep

Got to have deep play calls and routes to go deep. We've done it a little, but think we'll still be very frugal with deep looks. 

TY last year was more perimeter back shoulder / comeback guy.

Hoping both he and Campbell get at least 3-4 go routes or deep slants per game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Got to have deep play calls and routes to go deep. We've done it a little, but think we'll still be very frugal with deep looks. 

TY last year was more perimeter back shoulder / comeback guy.

Hoping both he and Campbell get at least 3-4 go routes or deep slants per game.

Opening play, Wentz to TY for 75 TD lmao . Wouldn't that be cool though.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, coming on strong said:

people here forget luck went 8-8 and missed the playoffs when he played every game in 2016 .fans made injury excuses for luck but for wentz they want him to be a mvp while injured .   as the season goes on he will get red hot like taylor did last year and shut up the haters .  next year will be even better i bet money he is top 5 in stats next year .

Well the expectations are high for Wentz, fair or not, because of the cost of acquiring him. A $21M cap hit, plus a 3rd round and (probably) 1st round pick. You also have the pressure cooker situation of the # of snaps that kick in the 1st round pick that will bring up the question of "do you sit him" from the fanbase after every time the team loses. It's probably not fair but that's the situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, coming on strong said:

people here forget luck went 8-8 and missed the playoffs when he played every game in 2016 .fans made injury excuses for luck but for wentz they want him to be a mvp while injured .   as the season goes on he will get red hot like taylor did last year and shut up the haters .  next year will be even better i bet money he is top 5 in stats next year .

Not to get nitpicky but Luck was actually 8-7 that season, he missed a game but I get your point. I think Wentz has a better team around him in 2021 than what Luck had in 2016.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 5:38 PM, Wentzszn said:

It’s crazy to me that last week was his first week of full practice. He was off the injury report today also. I always felt the offense would eventually get it together and they are improving each week. Not a coincidence that last week was his first full week and his next game.

 

The more I listen to him in pressers and interviews I am like he is so likeable. How did eagle fans hate him so much.

They hate everyone.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2021 at 5:22 PM, ar7 said:

 

Has anyone claimed that WIlson is a "star" and his "talent" means his opinion carries more weight?

 

I don't understand why some people are attempting to turn this into a debate about Wilson personally based on the type of website he wrote for and the way it's monetized.

 

I'm pretty sure Wilson isn't writing for SB any longer. I think he stopped awhile ago. He obviously still tweets about the Colts but it's really no different from those of us on here sharing our opinion. 

 

It's fine to disagree with what he tweeted or push back on whatever point he was attempting to make. I myself think 5 games is premature to put stock into the numbers one way or the other. It's really too small of a sample size and anyone can put whatever spin on them they want to push the preferred narrative.

 

I just don't understand the mindset to personally attack him just because you disagree with him. I don't even follow the guy on Twitter but some of the reactions from those who disagree with him have been overblown.

 

 

Well here is the problem with rankings......

 

Everyone doesnt face the same obstacles or opponents. And different people are asked to do different things.

 

So just taking his numbers and comparing them to everyone around the league and just making a claim like "hes been average" is just lazy and has no context.

 

Carson has played a tough schedule, injured, with little practice time, and also has been held back a little by his coach, who didnt take the reigns off until last week. 

 

And his team has had some injury problems as well. 

 

Look Carson isnt in the MVP conversation or anything, but I think what hes done so far has been very very impressive. He has answered a lot of the questions people had about him despite all of this adversity. And last week he showed he can still be a weapon at QB.

 

He has really been great at balancing being aggressive while still protecting the ball. And its not like hes been sitting back in the pocket with all the time in the world and throwing short passes all game. Hes been under constant pressure, playing hurt, and from behind on the scoreboard. Those are usually factors that fuel turnovers. 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not to get nitpicky but Luck was actually 8-7 that season, he missed a game but I get your point. I think Wentz has a better team around him in 2021 than what Luck had in 2016.

yea but luck had a easier schedule not having to go against 5 teams that last year had winning records 4 of them playoff teams .  plus luck was in indy for 4 years at that point wentz had zero training camp with a new team . 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, coming on strong said:

yea but luck had a easier schedule not having to go against 5 teams that last year had winning records 4 of them playoff teams .  plus luck was in indy for 4 years at that point wentz had zero training camp with a new team . 

Luck was the better QB but having said that I like Wentz, they are similar. Wentz showed me a lot on Monday to gain my confidence to the point, I think he could pull a Luck and win the the next 5 games looking at our schedule.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Well here is the problem with rankings......

 

Everyone doesnt face the same obstacles or opponents. And different people are asked to do different things.

 

So just taking his numbers and comparing them to everyone around the league and just making a claim like "hes been average" is just lazy and has no context.

 

Carson has played a tough schedule, injured, with little practice time, and also has been held back a little by his coach, who didnt take the reigns off until last week. 

 

And his team has had some injury problems as well. 

 

Look Carson isnt in the MVP conversation or anything, but I think what hes done so far has been very very impressive. He has answered a lot of the questions people had about him despite all of this adversity. And last week he showed he can still be a weapon at QB.

 

He has really been great at balancing being aggressive while still protecting the ball. And its not like hes been sitting back in the pocket with all the time in the world and throwing short passes all game. Hes been under constant pressure, playing hurt, and from behind on the scoreboard. Those are usually factors that fuel turnovers. 

 

 

 

 

 

I thought that I was pretty clear when I stated that I thought that we should wait to put any stock into the numbers.

 

My last post was really in regards to the personal attacks on Wilson. Some acted like people were indicated that his opinion carries weight because at one time he wrote for Stampede Blue. Who cares if he wrote for a blog? It is ok to disagree with someone without making it personal. 

 

And it's interesting that people take issue with Wilson using stats to push a narrative that Wentz is average but yet some people have used stats to put a positive spin on Wentz and that's ok. Just seems hypocritical.

 

Look, I agree that there is context that should be considered but that context goes both ways. I'm not going to dismiss Wentz based on how he played at the start with such limited practice but i'm also not going to crown him based on his play vs a crappy Dolphins team or having 400 yards agains the Ravens. It's great that he did that but it seems unreasonable to expect that out of him on a regular basis.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, ar7 said:

 

I thought that I was pretty clear when I stated that I thought that we should wait to put any stock into the numbers.

 

My last post was really in regards to the personal attacks on Wilson. Some acted like people were indicated that his opinion carries weight because at one time he wrote for Stampede Blue. Who cares if he wrote for a blog? It is ok to disagree with someone without making it personal. 

 

And it's interesting that people take issue with Wilson using stats to push a narrative that Wentz is average but yet some people have used stats to put a positive spin on Wentz and that's ok. Just seems hypocritical.

 

Look, I agree that there is context that should be considered but that context goes both ways. I'm not going to dismiss Wentz based on how he played at the start with such limited practice but i'm also not going to crown him based on his play vs a crappy Dolphins team or having 400 yards agains the Ravens. It's great that he did that but it seems unreasonable to expect that out of him on a regular basis.

Stats are best used to support an opinion rooted in experience, education or preferrably both.

 

But too many people use them to form an opinion altogether, and thats too lazy. Thats all Im saying.

 

And that not directed at you. It was directed mostly at Wilson, who was trying to diminish what Carson has done so far, probably because of a previous take he threw out there criticizing the addition of Carson. And I think people always get annoyed at that kind of coverage in sports, because its rampant nowadays. People are just dying to throw an opinion out there before they could possibly have enough info to form that opinion and tend to double down and defend that opinion for awhile, before they will admit it was just wrong. 

 

In regards to your last paragraph, I think thats a fine perspective, one that I happen to share. Im not criticizing you in anyway. Your post just made me feel like it was an opportunity to offer my perspective on what he posted. 

 

I just dont see how anyone could watch the games we have played and not think hes been one of the few brightspots. You can play very well and be statistically average. The rankings arent meant to be seen as a ranking. And I think thats how he views the list.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wentz isn't the first QB I'd choose in a redraft of the NFL's signal callers, but he's not among the bottom guys either.  The team can win with him going forward.

 

I'm not distressed by this team by any means.  They simply didn't have it all together, it happens, but the pieces are there at a lot of positions.  I am interested in seeing how they respond the rest of the way.  Just go week to week, start a win streak going, and maybe they can find a way to get in the playoffs.

 

If not, well, that's where having a good GM helps and they'll be picking high each round.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Stats are best used to support an opinion rooted in experience, education or preferrably both.

 

But too many people use them to form an opinion altogether, and thats too lazy. Thats all Im saying.

 

And that not directed at you. It was directed mostly at Wilson, who was trying to diminish what Carson has done so far, probably because of a previous take he threw out there criticizing the addition of Carson. And I think people always get annoyed at that kind of coverage in sports, because its rampant nowadays. People are just dying to throw an opinion out there before they could possibly have enough info to form that opinion and tend to double down and defend that opinion for awhile, before they will admit it was just wrong. 

 

In regards to your last paragraph, I think thats a fine perspective, one that I happen to share. Im not criticizing you in anyway. Your post just made me feel like it was an opportunity to offer my perspective on what he posted. 

 

I just dont see how anyone could watch the games we have played and not think hes been one of the few brightspots. You can play very well and be statistically average. The rankings arent meant to be seen as a ranking. And I think thats how he views the list.

 

That's fair and all good. My only points were I thought some of the comments from others were overblown about Wilson. He is just a fan tweeting about the Colts like we get on this board to post about them but others brought up him writing for SB which I didn't find relevant.

 

My other point was I think some people are critical of Wilson for using stats to say Wentz is average are silent about anyone who has thrown out stats to make a different point. I don't necessary disagree with the laziness part but I think that laziness goes both ways regardless if you are trying to say he is average or great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Carson is our franchise QB. It was a great trade...like it or not...hes better than Luck. 

He’s no where near better then luck. Luck was clearly better then Wentz 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Carson is our franchise QB. It was a great trade...like it or not...hes better than Luck. 


Wouldn’t say he is better than Luck.

 

But in 2017 Wentz was in MVP discussion - something Luck never achieved.

 

Wentz has huge potential.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Patrick Miller said:

The whole team is looking better as we go. You can see the cohesion. You can see wentz getting comfortable with his receivers. In my opinion the wentz trade was worth it.

If he stays healthy we can reach my goal/prediction of 11-6. That is doable, I like Wentz.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...