Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I’ll be the optimist: in 5 Weeks…

NewColtsFan

• NewColtsFan changed the title to I’ll be the optimist: in 5 Weeks…

We will struggle to win any games as long as we continue to play triple vanilla, soft zone, retreat and surrender defense. You have to mix up the coverages and stop dropping linebackers 15 yards downfield from the line of scrimmage. The Colts made it so easy for the ravens last night it was shameful. No other way to describe it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

… I believe the Colts will be 6-4.    I think we will win our next five games. 

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

I believe we win them all.    You’re free to disagree. 

Thank you.  I'm usually very optimistic but last night was rough.  This was nice to see.

Look I'm definitely an optimist too..

But does it matter if we can't beat teams like the Ravens come playoffs?

I agree, I think this team can still win 10 games. I am however, pretty concerned about the upcoming offeseason. Also, someone else mentioned that we have no CB depth. This is so obvious.

I don't personally have any solutions to this, but I hope the people that are getting paid millions can figure it out asap. Watching the ravens pushover our secondary was sad. Reminds me of when we played them with Rivers. Shut them out nearly in the first half, and then come out in the second half and give them the game. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

I hope you are right NCF

If we get our OL healthy and our LT starts to remember how to play like he used to...... it could happen

And......  SOMEONE of the many DEs gets more pressure.....

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I hope you are right NCF

If we get our OL healthy and our LT starts to remember how to play like he used to...... it could happen

And......  SOMEONE of the many DEs gets more pressure.....

you think we are losing because of pressure? Are you judging this off the 22 unanswered points? How long do you expect lineman to be able to run past lineman. You could see they were visibly gassed. That's what happens when your offense doesn't score, and all of your cornerbacks are injured. 

Hilarious. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

I agree, but I don’t think any game in the NFL is a gimme.  

Kevin Bowen was saying someone has to be held accountable for the collapse last night, and everything that led to it.  Draft picks, head coach play calling, and the D scheme.  

Im not sure what “accountable” actually means TBH.  We aren’t fining Chris or Frank any time soon.  maybe Fluse needs to look at the scheme that routinely lets good teams set record.  I’ve always hated his D but I understand he’s dealing with the tools available.  

But bottom line (and sorry for the long post) everything stems from injuries and lack of practice.  Who can be accountable for that?

47 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I agree, but I don’t think any game in the NFL is a gimme.  

Kevin Bowen was saying someone has to be held accountable for the collapse last night, and everything that led to it.  Draft picks, head coach play calling, and the D scheme.  

Im not sure what “accountable” actually means TBH.  We aren’t fining Chris or Frank any time soon.  maybe Fluse needs to look at the scheme that routinely lets good teams set record.  I’ve always hated his D but I understand he’s dealing with the tools available.  

But bottom line (and sorry for the long post) everything stems from injuries and lack of practice.  Who can be accountable for that?

Appreciate the post.    

And what does “held accountable” actually mean?!?   I don’t see us making in-season changes with our coaches.   I like Kevin, but he’s made some strange comments this season.   This weird season has brought out the worst in many of us. 

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

Davis mills will set some record against us

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Look I'm definitely an optimist too..

But does it matter if we can't beat teams like the Ravens come playoffs?

I agree, I think this team can still win 10 games. I am however, pretty concerned about the upcoming offeseason. Also, someone else mentioned that we have no CB depth. This is so obvious.

I don't personally have any solutions to this, but I hope the people that are getting paid millions can figure it out asap. Watching the ravens pushover our secondary was sad. Reminds me of when we played them with Rivers. Shut them out nearly in the first half, and then come out in the second half and give them the game. 

They have to develop into that tho, and that might take longer than 5 weeks.

They have a new QB, injury problems and a young roster. I think its not that surprising they arent ready to close out a team like the Ravens on the road on MNF just yet.

We need better pass rush, thats for sure. We came into this season in transition here, because we let Houston and Autry walk and replaced them with 2 rookies in Paye and Dayo. Neither guy played last night. Its kind of hard to gauge how good the rush is gonna be because these two young fellas are looked at as a major part  of it, and they arent available. 

We need to get healthy. Last night we were missing Hilton, Nelson, Smith, Ya Sin, Paye.....thats 5 starters.....then we lost Rhodes and Willis during the game and Blackmon for a stretch also. No excuses.......but thats tough.

What is frustrating for me, as an optimist, is that nobody expected us to be contenders this year anyways. Nobody was picking us as SB contenders. They would say we had too many question marks, too many holes. 

But when the season gets here they are judged thru a SB contender lens.

Its not an unacceptable loss last night, unless you were expecting BIG things from this team, this year.

Being 1-4 is only unacceptable if you were expecting big things, this year.

In fact a lot of people predicted this. I heard people predicting 0-5. They looked at our schedule and assumed the worst.

I was optimistic, I thought we would be 3-2 at this point. And you know what.....we should be. I blame the coach for that. I think he lost us the Rams game and I think we hold on last night if he just doesnt take unnecessary risks. 

Its a fine line between dissapointment and surprise.

3 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

It’s a possibility. I see us losing to Tennessee again, though. But definitely higher chance on building wins now that we’re out of the “gauntlet” games. 

Tennessee is trash. They have looked worse than us the last few weeks. And Tannehill is an average QB. 

4 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

you think we are losing because of pressure? Are you judging this off the 22 unanswered points? How long do you expect lineman to be able to run past lineman. You could see they were visibly gassed. That's what happens when your offense doesn't score, and all of your cornerbacks are injured. 

Hilarious. 

Of course you could actually READ the whole post....  or just quote part of it.....

We are short 2 excellent run blocking OL that can actually help the running game......

A great running game takes time off the clock....  which equates to less time on the field for the defense.....

your DL isnt gassed at the end of the game

And being able to run the ball effectively allows a balanced offense, which almost always equates to scoring more points 

AND (my final point).... when needed, the DEs needed to put some additional pass rush on the Ravens QB

They didnt

12 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Tennessee is trash. They have looked worse than us the last few weeks. And Tannehill is an average QB. 

Tannehill can make some nice throws and run. Plus, division games are always played tougher in my opinion. 

17 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

Of course you could actually READ the whole post....  or just quote part of it.....

We are short 2 excellent run blocking OL that can actually help the running game......

A great running game takes time off the clock....  which equates to less time on the field for the defense.....

your DL isnt gassed at the end of the game

And being able to run the ball effectively allows a balanced offense, which almost always equates to scoring more points 

AND (my final point).... when needed, the DEs needed to put some additional pass rush on the Ravens QB

They didnt

Well I responded to the part I disagreed with. I definitely read the entirety of posts unless its a troll. 

On 10/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

They are gonna lose to San Francisco and Tennessee, plus one of bottom feeders in that list. Bottom 3 defense giving up record numbers to Qbs, and a broke ankle 100 million linebacker ain't gonna get them many wins. Either is the world's most expensive injured  reserve offensive line. 

3 minutes ago, Ratking said:

They are gonna lose to San Francisco and Tennessee, plus one of bottom feeders in that list. Bottom 3 defense giving up record numbers to Qbs, and a broke ankle 100 million linebacker ain't gonna get them many wins. Either is the world's most expensive injured  reserve offensive line. 

Why are you here?

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Why are you here?

Sorry... I meant to say everything is great and we are superbowl bound. Nelson is my favorite player cause he does keg stand celebrations. We are the best team in the NFL... Just lots of injuries... 

Homer 

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Appreciate the post.    

And what does “held accountable” actually mean?!?   I don’t see us making in-season changes with our coaches.   I like Kevin, but he’s made some strange comments this season.   This weird season has brought out the worst in many of us. 

Yeah Bowen has been talking about needing accountability from Reich and i've wondered exactly what he means.

He did mention on the Tuesday show how he was speaking with a former player who played mostly for Pagano. (I took it for Reich too) The player felt that accountability was an issue with Pagano and again with Reich. My impression is he is referring to Reich as a coach not holding players accountable though and not accountability in terms of his job status as the head coach.

On 10/12/2021 at 12:53 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Houston

San Fran

Tennessee

NYJ

Jags

I appreciate you saying we are free to disagree. Some people on this forum prefer a fascist thought free pro colts echo chamber.

18 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Disagree about Tannehill being an average QB. He had a bad Week 1 and has been solid since, outside of two fluky INTs in that Week 3 game. 

But it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t take much more than that to beat this defense. And last time they played, Tannehill scored on the Colts with guys nobody has ever heard of. If Julio and Brown are both back, that will be a problem. 

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Disagree about Tannehill being an average QB. He had a bad Week 1 and has been solid since, outside of two fluky INTs in that Week 3 game. 

But it doesn’t matter because it doesn’t take much more than that to beat this defense. And last time they played, Tannehill scored on the Colts with guys nobody has ever heard of. If Julio and Brown are both back, that will be a problem. 

My thoughts as well. I understand Wentz has played well and his ankle is getting better. But, I am not sure the colts have the same offense power as the Titans with Julio, brown, and Henry. And I think we all know the colts defense is questionable on their best day. So I'm kind of assuming the Titans will have a better day defensively. I don't see a win out of this. I would love to be wrong. 

3-2 over that spell looks most likely to me. Anything better than that and I'll be delighted especially if we managed to win the 3 division games along the way.

I can't for the life of me see how we're consistent enough to win 5 on the bounce either in terms of decision making or play. It would basically be like calling 5 coinflips in a row at the moment.

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

3-2 over that spell looks most likely to me. Anything better than that and I'll be delighted especially if we managed to win the 3 division games along the way.

I can't for the life of me see how we're consistent enough to win 5 on the bounce either in terms of decision making or play. It would basically be like calling 5 coinflips in a row at the moment.

Yeah. I can definitely see them beating HOU, JAC and NYJ. But it seems like one of those teams will show up. 

Beating SF on the road with them coming off their bye in a get right game for them on SNF…sounds daunting. 

And then there’s TEN, whom should be firing on all cylinders on offense that point.

3-2 seems about right. Even better if one comes against TEN. 

One road game and four home games. This stretch is setting up nicely. We will see if if they can take advantage of it. The SF game is winnable I just don’t like SF coming off the bye week. We will see if they can win that one. If they can we can win the next 5 and be 6-4 after ten games. That would put us in a nice position. We should have our oline back to full strength by the SF game. Then add TY coming back. That should make the offense even better. This should be a nice stretch to start getting healthy. We just can’t lose to the Texans, jets, or jags. Then beat the Titans and try to pull out that SF game. This defense fixing issues is the key.

• 2 weeks later...

Well….    It’s 10 days later and it doesn’t look like my prediction has aged well…

Yes, we won our game vs Houston, but that wasn’t hard to see coming. 

Here’s what else I didn’t see coming…..

That Hilton and Campbell would both have good games, yet both also got hurt.  Campbell is lost for the season, Hilton may or may not be lost for this game or more.  Plus Rock re-injured his ankle some so it’s not clear how much/little he’ll play?   And it’s not clear how much Rhodes can play.   And to top it all off, Blackmon tears his Achilles and is lost for the season.   Wow, I can’t remember a season with so many injuries in a secondary?!?   

So it doesn’t look good for the good guys Monday night.   But I’d add this….   Wentz looks more comfortable each week, and so does Taylor.   And that’s because the OL is also getting better and they make our engine go.  

Now factor in a very rainy night and who knows who might win.   This might be a very strange game and the underdogs might just surprise?!    Or not.   But it should be interesting to watch. 

Archived