Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on the Franchise. We can't beat good teams. Are we the definition of average? EDIT: Kickers are coming back to loud stadiums

Frenchy789

2020, we lose to all the teams that made the playoffs during the regular season minus VGreenBay thanks to the fumble. This year is just more of the same. 

Since the beginning of Frank Reich's tenure, I've noticed how calm he is no matter what is going on. I don't want Vic Fangio levels of explosive blabbering but what coach on the sidelines is giving the players motivation? 

This leads to the possibility of fired up players like Darius Leonard and Jonathan Taylor having to pick up all the slack and that leads to 4th quarter collapses like 2020 @Steelers and tonight @Baltimore. The Defense also comes out clutch at the goal line but this EXTREME bending (remember the 2 games vs the Texans last year?) where we let the opposition run down the field in 3 huge plays and then a miracle fumble/turnover at the goal line saves the day for us. 

We should have won that Steelers game and we've seemed to fix our red-zone issues, Carson Wentz is coming back into the player he was. 

Both games came down to us leading by multiple scores and then our D getting injured and gassed and just giving up TD's in 3-5 plays. @Baltimore, a blocked field goal would have won us the game. Rodrigo is a 2nd year player, this was the first time he had 70k Raven fans yelling at him and the kick is blocked.

We've had ridiculous injuries and came close to beating the Rams and SHOULD HAVE beaten the Ravens tonight..

In regards to kicking, the "nightmare week for kickers" can largely be attributed to kickers (which is such a mental game) got used to nearly silent stadiums and now our rookie has to kick potential game-winners whilst injured.

What can we do? 

• Frenchy789 changed the title to Thoughts on the Franchise. We can't beat good teams. Are we the definition of average? EDIT: Kickers are coming back to loud stadiums
4 minutes ago, Frenchy789 said:

2020, we lose to all the teams that made the playoffs during the regular season minus VGreenBay thanks to the fumble. This year is just more of the same. 

Since the beginning of Frank Reich's tenure, I've noticed how calm he is no matter what is going on. I don't want Vic Fangio levels of explosive blabbering but what coach on the sidelines is giving the players motivation? 

This leads to the possibility of fired up players like Darius Leonard and Jonathan Taylor having to pick up all the slack and that leads to 4th quarter collapses like 2020 @Steelers and tonight @Baltimore. The Defense also comes out clutch at the goal line but this EXTREME bending (remember the 2 games vs the Texans last year?) where we let the opposition run down the field in 3 huge plays and then a miracle fumble/turnover at the goal line saves the day for us. 

We should have won that Steelers game and we've seemed to fix our red-zone issues, Carson Wentz is coming back into the player he was. 

Both games came down to us leading by multiple scores and then our D getting injured and gassed and just giving up TD's in 3-5 plays. @Baltimore, a blocked field goal would have won us the game. Rodrigo is a 2nd year player, this was the first time he had 70k Raven fans yelling at him and the kick is blocked.

We've had ridiculous injuries and came close to beating the Rams and SHOULD HAVE beaten the Ravens tonight..

In regards to kicking, the "nightmare week for kickers" can largely be attributed to kickers (which is such a mental game) got used to nearly silent stadiums and now our rookie has to kick potential game-winners whilst injured.

What can we do? 

They also beat the Titans last year but that game is forgotten.

The Colts simply don’t have enough star players and when you don’t have a Peyton Manning at QB (don’t get me wrong Wentz has been very good but he’s not Manning) it’s hard to overcome that.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

They also beat the Titans last year but that game is forgotten.

The Colts simply don’t have enough star players and when you don’t have a Peyton Manning at QB (don’t get me wrong Wentz has been very good but he’s not Manning) it’s hard to overcome that.

Especially with Eberflus doing his best Larry Coyer impression. 

I 100% agree, that 44-26 win if I remember was due to a blocked field goal return and a pick-six/fumble returned for 6? 

An aging T.Y Hilton being our "biggest threat" is not a good sign. We could of had Sammy Watkins, thank God Mo-Alie Cox is coming in clutch and we're actually using him but what about putting Hines in the slot? 

The Colts just get so damn predictable in late-game scenarios. Like on the last 3rd and 8, Ravens stack the box and we try and cram it down the middle for an extra 2 yards and the kick is blocked.

Losing Luck has put our team back by a couple years as we've had to readjust our drafting/FA to get a QB. 

Yeah situational football is the worst. 

I think that's one of the negatives of over-using analytics. Everyone has access to the same situation 3rd 8 already in field goal range but kicker is injured so need more yardage, RB is a stud so maybe he gets the first but we want to run the clock and kick the field goal)

So we predictably run it, get stuffed and gain a yard or two, then our exhausted O-Linemen (was it Smith or Glowinski?) get torched by Calais Campbell. 

I just don't see us going to a big game for the next couple of years with how bad our secondary is. 

This franchise is average. On most days they can beat below 500 teams, but they can't beat playoff teams. No real superstars, just a guard and linebacker who the colts treat like superstars. All around just a boring franchise to watch. When you watch games like bills vs chiefs you quickly realize the colts are JV. 

1 minute ago, Ratking said:

This franchise is average. On most days they can beat below 500 teams, but they can't beat playoff teams. No real superstars, just a guard and linebacker who the colts treat like superstars. All around just a boring franchise to watch. When you watch games like bills vs chiefs you quickly realize the colts are JV. 

Ii disagree we are getting close, but have to play 4 quarters

Talk about beating "good teams" since manning left we can probably count on one hand our "big game" wins against the top teams.

I don't remember the last time we've beaten the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots... The Rams own us. Seattle has taken us out. Saints havent' even had 10 incompletions the last 4 times we've played! 

Green Bay folds to us.. am i wrong?

49 minutes ago, Ratking said:

If Taylor isnt a superstar not sure who is, kid is a total beast who runs over or by people in both run and pass game. Pittman is fast approaching the status as well, that td was a thing of beauty. ALL Pro Guard isnt a superstar ? Umm ok

14 years Colt's had Peyton Manning and as great as he was we won only 1 ring.That is just totally unacceptable,period.  I don't think this franchise wins another one. Not sure what it is but,every year we all hear how much better and how great we will be NEXT  Season ,And then,same ol same ol.  Laid another stink bomb. Another terrible and bad loss.  It goes on and on.   

8 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

If Taylor isnt a superstar not sure who is, kid is a total beast who runs over or by people in both run and pass game. Pittman is fast approaching the status as well, that td was a thing of beauty. ALL Pro Guard isnt a superstar ? Umm ok

In today's NFL a rb and guard don't have the effect of a qb, de, wideout. I do like Taylor though. I will give you that. 

2 minutes ago, Ratking said:

In today's NFL a rb and guard don't have the effect of a qb, de, wideout. I do like Taylor though. I will give you that. 

No one arguing a RB or Guard has the effect a QB,DE or Wideout if that were the case Tenn wouldnt be losing to bottom feeders like the Jets but we do have Superstars and we have a quality young WR who gets better by the game (Also our QB is playing lights out).

57 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Talk about beating "good teams" since manning left we can probably count on one hand our "big game" wins against the top teams.

I don't remember the last time we've beaten the Ravens, Steelers, Patriots... The Rams own us. Seattle has taken us out. Saints havent' even had 10 incompletions the last 4 times we've played! 

Green Bay folds to us.. am i wrong?

Kansas city win, where mahomes got hurt, is one of the few games I remember the colts got a win against a top contender. 

I’ve been saying we were an average fringe playoff team for the last 4-5yrs. We are 4 players and competent coaching away from being considered favorites to win the division.  Sadly, we are entering the beginning of the decline of the OL and no skill players outside of JT to carry the team. This roster isn’t deep, they just don’t suck and lack game changers.  

9 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

No one arguing a RB or Guard has the effect a QB,DE or Wideout if that were the case Tenn wouldnt be losing to bottom feeders like the Jets but we do have Superstars and we have a quality young WR who gets better by the game (Also our QB is playing lights out).

Lamar has more individual yards than most teams combined offenses. Look it up. That's a superstar. 

15 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

As soon as Isaiah Rodgers went out, our defense got shredded. We had a 4th stringer in there. With this many injuries to the team, it's a tall task to beat a significant opponent on the road. Injuries shouldn't be an excuse, but here we are... 

Rodgers was back in on the next series.

If we're being objective...

Did anyone at any point say; "This game would be 100% different if Nelson was out there?"

I mean that was against a top 10 sack producing unit this year and our RBs had their best game of the season. I love Nelson too but the fact he was adequately replaced by an undrafted free agent...

54 minutes ago, holeymoley99 said:

Taylor isn’t a superstar he’s in the very good player category. He isn’t a superstar yet. 

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

Did anyone at any point say; "This game would be 100% different if Nelson was out there?"

I mean that was against a top 10 sack producing unit this year and our RBs had their best game of the season. I love Nelson too but the fact he was adequately replaced by an undrafted free agent...

I totally agree with you. Nelson is a very good player, but he isn't game changing. I hope the colts consider that and his bad back when it comes time to resign him. I would rather let him walk and use that money plus some to sign a top free agent wideout or DE. 

1 hour ago, RollerColt said:

I missed that. Was it Rhodes that was out the rest of the game then? 

Rhodes came back in and then left again with the head injury doctor.

Still the Colts were getting killed with a tightend most of the night that they were covering with linebackers and ends on some plays so the injury thing only goes so far.

8 hours ago, Frenchy789 said:

I think that's one of the negatives of over-using analytics. Everyone has access to the same situation 3rd 8 already in field goal range but kicker is injured so need more yardage, RB is a stud so maybe he gets the first but we want to run the clock and kick the field goal)

So we predictably run it, get stuffed and gain a yard or two, then our exhausted O-Linemen (was it Smith or Glowinski?) get torched by Calais Campbell. 

I just don't see us going to a big game for the next couple of years with how bad our secondary is. 

Glowinski didn't get torched. He laid down. His foot got caught or something. Blankenship missed an extra point!!!! He has been amazing, kicking most everything right down the middle. Oh well!

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

We're in such a weird situation here with Q. He's an absolute monster. We all know that and there's no denying it.

But he plays guard. And as good as he is (all-Pro, potential Hall of Famer by the end of his career), he really can't have too much of an impact on the game. Reed has stepped in and we haven't skipped a beat.

It'll be interesting to see what we do. I'm sure he'll be signed by the Colts for mega bucks, and he'll earn it. But what affect will that have on the team's overall ability to field a competitive unit at other positions that have far more impact on the game?

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rodgers was back in on the next series.

They threw a bomb over some Lost clowns head.

8 hours ago, Frenchy789 said:

Good thinking. We have a young inexperienced roster. They RARELY play in big games. You can't have that many back seven that can't cover, make plays on the ball, and stop the pass.  Flus probably won't be the DC when we play Championship caliber D. JMO

23 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Yet Fisher played well JUST last night. You children!

Im not that young, just think its a bad move to give so much money to a guard.  We are fine with reed there 

I think fisher was a bad move too, season will be lost before hes healthy 

1 hour ago, Mitch Connors said:

Fisher got absolutely worked on the strip sack of Wentz where the defender was essentially untouched to Wentz.

We have different views on playing well apparently.

On that play specifically, the guy jumped offsides...it just wasn't called.

16 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

I have it on replay. Looks like offsides to me.

Since they don't have an official staring down the line of scrimmage anymore it's hard to tell - oh wait, maybe he just missed it.  It's easy not see a really big guy moving when everyone else is still.

Archived