Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Eason a healthy scratch

John Hammonds

Something has to be going on behind closed doors that we are not privy to.  

I do agree that, at this point, it would be an absolute shocker if he is on the roster in 2022.  

Still makes you wonder why they penciled him as the number 2 all throughout OTAs, training camp, etc. 

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

Would anybody blame him if he asked to be traded or released?

I would think it certainly would seem to him that the team will start anyone ahead of him.  Wentz, Hundley, Ehrlinger, the guy in section 317, row 10, seat 12.  Anyone.

What leverage does he have?

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I would think it certainly would seem to him that the team will start anyone ahead of him.  Wentz, Hundley, Ehrlinger, the guy in section 317, row 10, seat 12.  Anyone.

Released sure.  I don’t think he has any trade value right now.  Teams aren’t going to be lining up for a guy who couldn’t beat out a sixth round pick and Hundley for the backup job.

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm just glad he's healthy.

He was a 4th round pick who has been benched for Hundley. I don’t think there’s any trade value there. And they were so impressed with what they saw out of him last year that they…

Drafted another rookie QB in the 6th round just 12 months later. 

Sure looks like another spare parts Ballard pick…

As soon as Ehlinger is healthy and able to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle Eason probably is gone. I don’t see many (or any) teams beating the door down to bring him in, so he likely flames out on our practice squad from here on out. 

2 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

He was a 4th round pick who has been benched for Hundley. I don’t think there’s any trade value there. And they were so impressed with what they saw out of him last year that they…

Drafted another rookie QB in the 6th round just 12 months later. 

Sure looks like another spare parts Ballard pick…

As soon as Ehlinger is healthy and able to play 2nd or 3rd fiddle Eason probably is gone. I don’t see many (or any) teams beating the door down to bring him in, so he likely flames out on our practice squad from here on out. 

I’d also add if there is a team interested in him I doubt they are going to be interested enough to give up a draft pick for him.  They will just roll the dice and see if they can get him once released.  If not they will just move on and not sweat it.

7 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Id blame him.   And I’d say it loudly.   We haven’t screwed the kid.  Eason hasn’t performed up to the job.   He doesn’t get to wuss out because he got demoted.  He’s got to man-up, keep his head down and his mouth zipped tight and work to get better, no matter how long it takes.   We invested in Eason, so he needs to be professional.  Crying about tough times when the team is struggling is the exact wrong thing to do. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Id blame him.   And I’d say it loudly.   We haven’t screwed the kid.  Eason hasn’t performed up to the job.   He doesn’t get to wuss out because he got demoted.  He’s got to man-up, keep his head down and his mouth zipped tight and work to get better, no matter how long it takes.   We invested in Eason, so he needs to be professional.  Crying about tough times when the team is struggling is the exact wrong thing to do. 

Interesting take.  And glad you said it.

"We gave you a chance, and you just didn't perform well enough."

I'm not yet certain that I agree, and we'll see how it plays out.  But definitely a good take.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For the record, I don't think he's done these things, yet. Has he? 

I think its way more of an indication of how much Reich utilizes a QB's mobility as a crutch rather then Eason's ability. Sure Rivers wasnt mobile but he had a quick release and years of experience reading coverages which IMHO made Reich look better then he is. Hundly can do only 1 thing and thats to scramble. Eason is a pocket passer. If you have faith in your O-Line and your receivers ability to get open then you start Eason 10/10. If you don't think your O-Line will hold up and you need time for coverage to break down so your receivers will get open you start Hundly. 

That being said I personally think Reich has it out for Eason. I felt that way back during training camp and preseason. Even down to the plays he would call for Ehlinger vs Eason. 

4 minutes ago, twfish said:

I think its way more of an indication of how much Reich utilizes a QB's mobility as a crutch rather then Eason's ability. Sure Rivers wasnt mobile but he had a quick release and years of experience reading coverages which IMHO made Reich look better then he is. Hundly can do only 1 thing and thats to scramble. Eason is a pocket passer. If you have faith in your O-Line and your receivers ability to get open then you start Eason 10/10. If you don't think your O-Line will hold up and you need time for coverage to break down so your receivers will get open you start Hundly. 

That being said I personally think Reich has it out for Eason. I felt that way back during training camp and preseason. Even down to the plays he would call for Ehlinger vs Eason. 

He cant read nfl defenses, and please you actually think Frank super religious guy has it out for Eason thats why he is not seeing the field. Comical

29 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

He cant read nfl defenses, and please you actually think Frank super religious guy has it out for Eason thats why he is not seeing the field. Comical

How can you tell if he can read NFL defenses or not? The only regular season snaps hes played he got thrown out to play hero ball against one of the better secondary's in the league. Just because someone is religious doesnt mean they cant have something against someone gtfoh with that idea haha 

13 minutes ago, twfish said:

How can you tell if he can read NFL defenses or not? The only regular season snaps hes played he got thrown out to play hero ball against one of the better secondary's in the league. Just because someone is religious doesnt mean they cant have something against someone gtfoh with that idea haha 

I think he has been bad in practice. You have to perform in practice to see the field, obviously he is not showing anything. haha and your right about the religion thing but I just really doubt Frank is letting anything other than his feelings about how NFL ready he is dictate his decisions. 

40 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I think he has been bad in practice. You have to perform in practice to see the field, obviously he is not showing anything. haha and your right about the religion thing but I just really doubt Frank is letting anything other than his feelings about how NFL ready he is dictate his decisions. 

Give Eason a chance in a game then it will be clear. Frank is failing as a coach with his in game decisions yet he still has a job. 

13 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Give Eason a chance in a game then it will be clear. Frank is failing as a coach with his in game decisions yet he still has a job. 

nah ill trust that Franks knows better than the crazy Eason fans on this forum. Maybe he goes somewhere else and has a resurgence and at that point ill eat crow but Frank just got extended Eason wont be on the team much longer.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

nah ill trust that Franks knows better than the crazy Eason fans on this forum. Maybe he goes somewhere else and has a resurgence and at that point ill eat crow but Frank just got extended Eason wont be on the team much longer.

Frank has been failing for awhile yet he gets an extension. They must think he will get better. Frank admitted he was to conservative in the 4th quarter Monday. When will his mistakes end?

On 10/12/2021 at 4:06 PM, Blueblood23 said:

Frank has been failing for awhile yet he gets an extension. They must think he will get better. Frank admitted he was to conservative in the 4th quarter Monday. When will his mistakes end?

Dear God……     :facepalm:

You could have stopped after the first sentence….. 

Get better?   Yes, they think he’ll get better…. But contrary to your view that “Frank has been failing for a while”  the Colts think he’s been very good since he arrived.  

He had two years to go in his his original contract.   They added four more years for a total of six.   Most coaches don’t get six years.   Do you think Irsay would’ve publicly said he believes the team will win two Super Bowls in the next 10 years if they didn’t believe in Frank?  

You might want to consider your view of Frank is 180 degrees opposite of reality.  It not.   Your call. 

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Dear God……     :facepalm:

You could have stopped after the first sentence….. 

Get better?   Yes, they think he’ll get better…. But contrary to your view that “Frank has been failing for a while”  the Colts think he’s been very good since he arrived.  

He had two years to go in his his original contract.   They added four more years for a total of six.   Most coaches don’t get six years.   Do you think Irsay would’ve publicly said he believes the team will win two Super Bowls in the next 10 years if they didn’t believe in Frank?  

You might want to consider your view of Frank is 180 degrees opposite of reality.  It not.   Your call. 

Colts ain’t winning no SuperBowls with Frank making in game decisions like he has been. I will stick by my beliefs and say Frank isn’t it. 

28 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

Colts ain’t winning no SuperBowls with Frank making in game decisions like he has been. I will stick by my beliefs and say Frank isn’t it. 

Most NFL coaches ain’t winning no Super Bowls — period.    It’s not just Frank. 

Finding a good coach is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports.  You don’t throw one away because he’s not 100 of what you want.   Because almost no one is 100 percent. 

The Colts (Ballatd, Irsay, players) love Frank.  You might want to consider that.   Just food for thought. 

31 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Most NFL coaches ain’t winning no Super Bowls — period.    It’s not just Frank. 

Finding a good coach is one of the hardest things to do in all of sports.  You don’t throw one away because he’s not 100 of what you want.   Because almost no one is 100 percent. 

The Colts (Ballatd, Irsay, players) love Frank.  You might want to consider that.   Just food for thought. 

And how’s that working out so far?

11 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

And how’s that working out so far?

Really? 

First year: 10-6 coming off a 4-12 season.  Worked GREAT!!

Second year:  9-7 with a backup quarterback who took over two weeks before the season started.   Worked good.

Third year:  11-5 with a new veteran QB coming off his worst year and the franchise dealing with Covid.   Worked GREAT!

Fourth year:  2-4 so far working with 4th quarterback in 4 years.  New QB missed camp due to broken foot.  4 OL dealing with various injuries since camp.   Team has struggled at most every level but showing signs of rounding into form.  Work in progress, but I’m expecting a half step back season where we finish roughly 9-8 and miss the playoffs.   

On balance I’m very satisfied.    I’m confident you and others will disagree. 

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really? 

Second year:  9-7 with a backup quarterback who took over two weeks before the season started.   Worked good.

Third year:  11-5 with a new veteran QB coming off his worst year and the franchise dealing with Covid.   Worked GREAT!

Fourth year:  2-4 so far working with 4th quarterback in 4 years.  New QB missed camp due to broken foot.  4 OL dealing with various injuries since camp.   Team has struggled at most every level but showing signs of rounding into form.  Work in progress, but I’m expecting a half step back season where we finish roughly 9-8 and miss the playoffs.   

Folks will disparage a coach without coming up with their alternative. Why? That alternative is almost always worse. Belichick isnt safe from fan heat and he's the goat. It is what it is.

Lets bin the coach because he went aggressive on 4th down.

41 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Folks will disparage a coach without coming up with their alternative. Why? That alternative is almost always worse. Belichick isnt safe from fan heat and he's the goat. It is what it is.

Lets bin the coach because he went aggressive on 4th down.

Funny….  Most fans rip their HC for being too conservative.   Ours for being too aggressive.  

Appreciate your post, thanks! 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really? 

You think Frank is the answer and I don’t.  You and the owner believe he will lead the team to a Super Bowl or two and I don’t believe that. So we disagree and hope you are right and I’m wrong. We will all be happy should this result happen. 

Clicked into this thinking it was the other Eason waived / claim thread. 

Then realized it was just someone triggered over an 8 day old post about Reich complaints.

It's not just fans that have been critical. Local media has had knives out. Game commentators have questioned things. And statistical evidence has been supportive of a lot of the critical remarks. 

I find it interesting that folks are normally (not all times) pretty specific about what their complaint is all about (and normally that complaint is echoed by many). Yet people triggered can't really combat the specific complaints. They rely on things like "well he was extended" (true but lots of coaches get extended them let go before their contract is out), people love him (something that really can't be confirmed or measured), and my personal favorite, the old 4 QBs in 4 years excuse (of the 4 QBs, 3 were top 4 draft picks, and the 4th was assumed he'd be near a .500 QB behind our OL, which he was)... So not much of an excuse lol... Those are all weak non-specific responses to criticism. 

It would be nice to see anyone address the actual criticisms with a factual and statistical response, instead of deflecting with generalities or because "mom said" type of rhetoric. I can give plenty of specific situations, be it games, in-game situations, personnel usage, etc. if anyone would like talk specifics instead of generalities or sling box misdirection lol. 

Archived