Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

did we not even attempt to

48 minutes ago, ruf said:

sign Gilmore or J Smith?

Gilmore got traded to Carolina.   

Smith picked Green Bay.   

It’s not even clear we had the money to acquire either.    Neither are playing at a very high level.    They have big names, but not the performance or the health to helps us. 

9 hours ago, dew5150 said:

Do people not understand the concept of a salary cap? We have $1m left.

We could have signed Jaylon Smith right? He was cut so I assume he'll just get a vet minimum from whoever picks him up. I'm not sure how much that is though...

11 hours ago, dew5150 said:

TBH, I did not realize that.  We have a lot of very high paid guys who are not playing or not playing like they're getting paid right now.  

All that being said, there are always ways to manipulate the cap.

2 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

With what money?  And why would those guys look at this team vs. GB or Car and say oh yeah, that's where I wanna be....

If the bolded is true, then that's a Reich and Ballard problem after 4 and 5 years of being here and not being able to attract FAs. I do agree we don't have the money though. However, we never even really know how hard he goes after guys like these that get released throughout the year, and that makes me question Ballard even more than I have been lately. We have sufficient evidence that he is conservative in FA and likes to build through the draft, so I'd need to see a report or two seeing he has tried to sign a marquee FA or two and failed to believe otherwise that he is making a real attempt at getting guys like Jaylon Smith and Stephon Gilmore.

31 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

No idea whether we did or didn't.... thread is started anyway. That is because it is not intended to ask the question, it is intended to show disappointment that they were not signed. Amiright?

I would agree.   Currently this Colts team is not a preferred destination for a free agent.  I don't expect any free agents to seek to sign with the Colts until the team is securely in the playoff hunt.     

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

No idea whether we did or didn't.... thread is started anyway. That is because it is not intended to ask the question, it is intended to show disappointment that they were not signed. Amiright?

no your wrong. it was intended to ask if there was some talk even a little out there anywhere that could have indicated that the colts seemed interested in two players that could have helped us.

with that said we do have serious issues with cb going forward all that we have signed for next year is Rock with any playing experience.

if we don't hit FA soon for cb's this team will be in the same shape next year. the way we are now i really don't think we will beat the jaguars Lawrence will look like manning.

19 hours ago, dew5150 said:

We have 1.3 or 1.7 depending on which service you look at.

To add him, we'd have to cut someone, likely a LB, which would give us around 0.9M back.

That would bring us to 2.2 or 2.6M.

Smith's 7M is guaranteed from the Cowboys, so he's likely looking for a spot to revitalize his career on a cheap one year deal. A place that is a good scheme match, and a path for play time. It's likely less about the money. 

So I'd suspect his contract with GB was under 3M. And even if it wasn't, all you have to do is use voidable years to push the hit out a year or two. So it's not something hard to accomplish. 

23 minutes ago, ruf said:

no your wrong. it was intended to ask if there was some talk even a little out there anywhere that could have indicated that the colts seemed interested in two players that could have helped us.

with that said we do have serious issues with cb going forward all that we have signed for next year is Rock with any playing experience.

if we don't hit FA soon for cb's this team will be in the same shape next year. the way we are now i really don't think we will beat the jaguars Lawrence will look like manning.

I have been clamoring it seems like forever that the Colts need a high talent on the backend. Sorry about misjudging your post. 

40 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I have been clamoring it seems like forever that the Colts need a high talent on the backend. Sorry about misjudging your post. 

no problem it did appear that way. you are right about the backend talent though (maybe should have kept Hooker) not sure how he is doing in Dallas. I'm thinking our draft pick next year should be cb or S which ever is best when we draft most likely in the 2nd rd.

21 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

If the bolded is true, then that's a Reich and Ballard problem after 4 and 5 years of being here and not being able to attract FAs. I do agree we don't have the money though. However, we never even really know how hard he goes after guys like these that get released throughout the year, and that makes me question Ballard even more than I have been lately. We have sufficient evidence that he is conservative in FA and likes to build through the draft, so I'd need to see a report or two seeing he has tried to sign a marquee FA or two and failed to believe otherwise that he is making a real attempt at getting guys like Jaylon Smith and Stephon Gilmore.

Maybe we will get to see some of these inside secrets when the Colts go on Hard Knocks....hope it doesn't reveal incompetency!

On 10/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, ruf said:

sign Gilmore or J Smith?

He went to the team with a former Notre Dame coach that he built a great relationship with and is sliding right into a starting role. That plays a huge factor.

Do you honestly think they would just drop him in at WLB or MIKE day 1? He likely would be the SAM for us that doesn't play as many snaps. Is he better than Okereke, absolutely in my mind he is. Would I prefer Leonard and Smith as starters with Okereke subbing for both as needed, heck yeah.

But alas, it did not happen!

Archived