Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Stephon Gilmore Cut/Traded to Carolina ((MERGE))

Wow!!! This guy is definitely better than Sherman that the Bucs signed. I am sure Tom Brady is trying to get Gilmore on the Bucs with all their secondary injuries. 

He was on PUP and was eligible to play soon but Belichick felt his current secondary has enough depth and the cost savings was significant enough, I guess. He is definitely an upgrade over Rhodes, 100%, and I am sure he will have plenty of suitors to choose from. Heck, even the Chiefs might go after him because Spags, just like Todd Bowles, plays plenty of man coverage.

• Shive changed the title to Stephon Gilmore Released (Merge)
18 minutes ago, bleed blue 4 life said:

go get him . he will make a huge difference. thoughts?

He would be a huge addition to our team. I feel like the Colts are not very aggressive compared to other teams in these kind of situations. Maybe its because we are often not the sexy choice. Why play for the Colts when you could play for the Chiefs, Bucs, etc.

6 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Smith would be more affordable, hopefully Rhodes  gets back to form...that TY signing is looking shaking now...

Even if Rhodes get to form the difference between all pro and an above average starter is a huge need for the defense

These types of releases indicate to me that the player wants to go to a playoff team with a chance of winning the SB.  I doubt that a long term contract is even in the serious talks until after the season.

NE knew they were moving on after the season, so free him up and save money in the process, if they can.

He wouldn't want to come to the Colts, IMO.

13 minutes ago, philba101 said:

He would be a huge addition to our team. I feel like the Colts are not very aggressive compared to other teams in these kind of situations. Maybe its because we are often not the sexy choice. Why play for the Colts when you could play for the Chiefs, Bucs, etc.

We are low on cap space right now according to spotrac.  Colts probably cant afford him without making a bunch of moves and hes likely eyeing better teams anyway 

11 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

We are low on cap space right now according to spotrac.  Colts probably cant afford him without making a bunch of moves and hes likely eyeing better teams anyway 

I don't feel we could get Gilmore, but Jaylon Smith is a possibility IMO. Could probably restructure a contract or two to get him signed.

23 minutes ago, DougDew said:

These types of releases indicate to me that the player wants to go to a playoff team with a chance of winning the SB.  I doubt that a long term contract is even in the serious talks until after the season.

NE knew they were moving on after the season, so free him up and save money in the process, if they can.

He wouldn't want to come to the Colts, IMO.

On top of that coming off PUP...IDK. You could say this city could be renamed Rehabpolis...

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Wow!!! This guy is definitely better than Sherman that the Bucs signed. I am sure Tom Brady is trying to get Gilmore on the Bucs with all their secondary injuries. 

He was on PUP and was eligible to play soon but Belichick felt his current secondary has enough depth and the cost savings was significant enough, I guess. He is definitely an upgrade over Rhodes, 100%, and I am sure he will have plenty of suitors to choose from. Heck, even the Chiefs might go after him because Spags, just like Todd Bowles, plays plenty of man coverage.

How do the Bucs have any money left to be able to afford Gilmore? I would say the Colts need to be players considering Rhodes has looked rough, and we still can't count on Rock. I'm so sick of the Bucs landing all these players. Might as well hand them the Super Bowl since apparently the salary cap has no effect on them.

• Shive changed the title to Stephon Gilmore Cut ((MERGE))

Good luck in Tampa Gilmore..

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

How do the Bucs have any money left to be able to afford Gilmore? I would say the Colts need to be players considering Rhodes has looked rough, and we still can't count on Rock. I'm so sick of the Bucs landing all these players. Might as well hand them the Super Bowl since apparently the salary cap has no effect on them.

I feel you 1,000 percent

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Mike Evans restructured his contract is the reason why. Plus Brady isn’t signed to like a 40M a year deal

39 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Yep, I feel the same thing as you, bro. It is like players taking pay cuts to play for the Patriots during the early years of their dynasty.

23 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Mike Evans restructured his contract is the reason why. Plus Brady isn’t signed to like a 40M a year deal

True. They push the salary to the future making an assumption he will play till 47 or 48. Then, when he does retire, they don't care, they had all those glory years with him, they can afford a few tanking years with a huge dead cap hit because of Brady, will gladly take it in the chin with gratitude. :) 

Teams like the Chiefs can afford to do that too, push Mahomes' salary to the future more increasing their cap hit later. However, the Bucs are more willing to take the risk for "win now" given Brady's age than the Chiefs.

Hasn't Gilmore been primarily a 'man' CB throughout his career ?

Can he play well in off coverage/a zone scheme ?

Guys like Nnamdi  Asomugha and Vontae Davis come to mind. Both were studs in 

man, but way less effective playing off/zone.

I don't think we'll pursue Gilmore. The cost is too high and we know Ballard is not a big spender.

However, even if we do, it wouldn't work. Essentially, we would be taking a stud man cover corner and ask him to play zone, taking away his greatest strength. Yes, we do play man defense at times, but overall, he would not be the right fit. It would be a waste of his talent.

• Shive changed the title to Stephon Gilmore Cut/Traded to Carolina ((MERGE))

Archived