Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

4th and 1

Mighty Blue

I watched Coach Reich’s post game interview 

and I would like to ask Colts fans a question…

But first, Coach Reich’s first year was aggressive on 4th and 1 and I liked that. He had full confidence in our offense…and decision making.

Several years now and I don’t see that aggressiveness much… but I could be wrong.

I have not seen a game since the season started. But I will be able to see the game on Monday night!

But what I have seen in other teams are QBs scrambling for first downs and/or scoring touchdowns…and winning games.

Our QBs have been severely limited in that capacity and results…( ideas for next year’s draft?)

Last year he put in Brissett for short runs for a first down…what is that called ? Oh yeah, the “Wildcat Formation!”

Coach was asked about a 4th and 1 decision but it was not the Wildcat.

You remember The Fridge with Da Bears?…so, should he consider that more often, the Wildcat?

With the Wildcat, it saves wear and tear on Mr Wentz( thank you John for mentioning that) and if successful, keeps their defense out on the field longer…and we possibly win more games…but we know this already.

Which one of our guys is about the size of a bulldozer or runs like a wildcat that can get that first down or more?

I know I am not crazy… my mother had me tested!

The Wildcat Formation…I am a Carson Wentz fan and I approve this message!

Go, Colts!

8 minutes ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

But first, Coach Reich’s first year was aggressive on 4th and 1 and I liked that. He had full confidence in our offense…and decision making.

Several years now and I don’t see that aggressiveness much… but I could be wrong.

I have not seen a game since the season started. But I will be able to see the game on Monday night!

But what I have seen in other teams are QBs scrambling for first downs and/or scoring touchdowns…and winning games.

Our QBs have been severely limited in that capacity and results…( ideas for next year’s draft?)

Last year he put in Brissett for short runs for a first down…what is that called ? Oh yeah, the “Wildcat Formation!”

You remember The Fridge with Da Bears?…so, should he consider that more often, the Wildcat?

With the Wildcat, it saves wear and tear on Mr Wentz( thank you John for mentioning that) and if successful, keeps their defense out on the field longer…and we possibly win more games…but we know this already.

Which one of our guys is about the size of a bulldozer or runs like a wildcat that can get that first down or more?

Go, Colts!

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

I dont like it, at all.

Everyone loves it when it works. But you should never risk it if failing means the other team scores points as a result. It was too deep in thier own end. One missed block becomes catastrophic.

Another ignorant move by a coach who makes them routinely.

:grumpy2:

10 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

That 4th down call this game was terrible even though they converted. The risk outweighed the reward so far it was lunacy to go for it. 

Its like gambling $5000 to win $10. Just because you win and now have $5010 doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible decision.

:cash::grumpy2:

27 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

That 4th down call this game was terrible even though they converted. The risk outweighed the reward so far it was lunacy to go for it. 

Its like gambling $5000 to win $10. Just because you win and now have $5010 doesn't change the fact that it was a terrible decision.

Hey, ten bucks is ten buck.

(I bet no one is in a Rush to get where that quote came from)

2 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

With the Wildcat, it saves wear and tear on Mr Wentz( thank you John for mentialso oning that) and if successful, keeps their defense out on the field longer…and we possibly win more games…but we know this already.

Go, Colts!

I think we should do what you suggest on 3rd and short. also there is a guy in the 22 draft that would be great to have that could be a 7th rd pick a FB but could play the blocking back role he goes 270lbs can't think of his name but it would be good to have Wentz under center and have Hines/JT and this guy in the backfield together maybe put Hines in motion

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

You're a hoser

I must have quoted that line from Geddy Lee a thousand times, it’s always appropriate.  That and “I’m a professional!”   

Glad I’m not the only one who remembers the McKenzie Brothers.

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

It was 4th down and 1 inch maybe 2. You should never put in that situation. The objective is to keep the ball. What most people do not understand is a punt is a turnover.  Sometimes you have to punt but there are multiple studies that show that punting the ball is one of the worst decisions in football. Now the play calling is a differnent story. I certainly do not like the plays we chose in the 4th and short situations. That needs to be improved. But punting the ball away when the odds of converting are over 80% is foolish in the long run. 

I didn’t like that call.  The Colts had the lead and momentum going into halftime and they were going to get the ball.  If they failed it just let’s Miami back into the game and hands them momentum.  Add in the fact they just milled around after they converted I thought that made it look worse.

5 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I didn’t like that call.  The Colts had the lead and momentum going into halftime and they were going to get the ball.  If they failed it just let’s Miami back into the game and hands them momentum.  Add in the fact they just milled around after they converted I thought that made it look worse.

He did it because he knows the QB on the other side was probably at most only going to get 3 pts.  Reich said they had some shots dialed up but dolphins defense prevented if. 

Fans have horrible intuitions about decisions that are heavily mathematically influenced, especially when they've seen the game played one way for 100 years and now some nerds who have never played a minute of football come along and tell them a lot of the things they've done all their lives are wrong(or more accurately - not optimal). People would be shocked to see just how much MORE than what Frank has gone for on 4th down, he needs to go for purely mathematically, and Frank has actually been one of the better coaches in the NFL with his 4th down decisions(go vs no go, not his playcalls on those 4th down).

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Fans have horrible intuitions about decisions that are heavily mathematically influenced, especially when they've seen the game played one way for 100 years and now some nerds who have never played a minute of football come along and tell them a lot of the things they've done all their lives are wrong(or more accurately - not optimal). People would be shocked to see just how much MORE than what Frank has gone for on 4th down, he needs to go for purely mathematically, and Frank has actually been one of the better coaches in the NFL with his 4th down decisions(go vs no go, not his playcalls on those 4th down).

What is funny is, I was in here when Chuck was coach and he never went for it. I remember several people complaining that he never went for it. Frank does and yet people still complain. Which is it I ask? 

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is funny is, I was in here when Chuck was coach and he never went for it. I remember several people complaining that he never went for it. Frank does and yet people still complain. Which is it I ask? 

The vast majority of Frank’s go for it I agree with.  I didn’t agree with this one and I didn’t agree with the one vs the Rams on the goal-line because of what was happening in the game.  Also there is a difference about people complaining about one or two decisions vs people always complaining when he goes for it.  The later is not happening so it’s not really the counter of the situation as you stated when Chuck would hardly ever go for it which is what frustrated people.  If people were saying Frank should never go for it then you would have a point.

54 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It might be different people complaining but yeah... 

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

The vast majority of Frank’s go for it I agree with.  I didn’t agree with this one and I didn’t agree with the one vs the Rams on the goal-line because of what was happening in the game.  Also there is a difference about people complaining about one or two decisions vs people always complaining when he goes for it.  The later is not happening so it’s not really the counter of the situation as you stated when Chuck would hardly ever go for it which is what frustrated people.  If people were saying Frank should never go for it then you would have a point.

See I agree'd with both and there were a lot of complaining about Chuck not going for it. You were here before me so I know you remember. Yeah I will say, there are certain times you shouldn't go for it like if you are down 3 and have the ball at the 30 yard line or closer in the 4th Qtr. Of course you take the tie there so I am smart in that aspect. Going for it is always a gamble, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it back fires. 

I really don't know this but I wonder what Frank's % is getting it when he does go for it on 4th? I bet it is at least 50%. @EastStreetmight know.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yup.  I like the aggressiveness.   It stresses me out at times but I’d rather that then being passive.  Play to win instead of not to lose 

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

See I agree'd with both and there were a lot of complaining about Chuck not going for it. You were here before me so I know you remember. Yeah I will say, there are certain times you shouldn't go for it like if you are down 3 and have the ball at the 30 yard line or closer in the 4th Qtr. Of course you take the tie there so I am smart in that aspect. Going for it is always a gamble, sometimes it pays off, sometimes it back fires. 

I really don't know this but I wonder what Frank's % is getting it when he does go for it on 4th? I bet it is at least 50%. @EastStreetmight know.

Looks like 3 of 7

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/play-selection---success-rate--off-.html

23 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

His aggressiveness might have cost him a game or two this season. He has been too aggressive at times already this year.

It's hard to predict a hypothetical based upon the final score of a game.

During the Ballard era, the defense has never been able to stop a good offense from needing a FG when they needed it.  So if Frank settles for a FG, that simply requires the opponent to press the gas peddle more than they would if they had the lead, and the Colts D really can't stop good offenses from doing that.

If Frank went for FGs, the Colts would likely lose the game just the same.

21 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Good Day

Ooh u ku ku ku Ku ku KUUUU.  (sic)  No idea how you spell that. 

Me and my brother thought that drowning in beer would be like heaven.  But this ain't heaven.  This sucks.

Anyone gave that a watch in the last 20 years?  Is it funny looking at it again or just painfully cheesy and not very funny in reality?

BTW.  Thanks on the billions.  Wife and I are enjoying it.  I think the end of Bosch leaves open the possiblity of a spin off.  and I hope so.  I think the show is excellent.  

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Ooh u ku ku ku Ku ku KUUUU.  (sic)  No idea how you spell that. 

Me and my brother thought that drowning in beer would be like heaven.  But this ain't heaven.  This sucks.

Anyone gave that a watch in the last 20 years?  Is it funny looking at it again or just painfully cheesy and not very funny in reality?

BTW.  Thanks on the billions.  Wife and I are enjoying it.  I think the end of Bosch leaves open the possiblity of a spin off.  and I hope so.  I think the show is excellent.  

Yup, Billions is just so good on so many levels. How do you like Wags? Both leads are tremendous. Since you like it, definitely give Succession a try.

Bosch is definitely back a spin off. He and Money will be working together. Most of the same cast from what I read, just kind of a Bosch unchained (from being a cop).

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, Billions is just so good on so many levels. How do you like Wags? Both leads are tremendous. Since you like it, definitely give Succession a try.

Bosch is definitely back a spin off. He and Money will be working together. Most of the same cast from what I read, just kind of a Bosch unchained (from being a cop).

I hope they keep the jazz.  Big jazz man myself.  

Wags is ate up, but the thing that gets me is Captain Winters with a mouth you wouldn't kiss your mother with.  

15 hours ago, BillCoslosky24 said:

Frank being overly aggressive on 4th downs and not being able to convert when you could have taken the field goal or put the defense backs against the wall when you give the other team the ball at mid field or on their side of the 50.

What was the complete thought here?

7 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I hope they keep the jazz.  Big jazz man myself.  

Wags is ate up, but the thing that gets me is Captain Winters with a mouth you wouldn't kiss your mother with.  

As long as Titus is there, so will jazz. I dabble myself, but I pretty much listen to everything. 

Lewis is incredible, but so is Giamatti. 

Archived