Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed and Q/Move Q TO LT (MERGE)

ruf

I have been back and forth with leave Q at LG or pay him and make him our LT I have now decided that is what we should do and what is best for the team going forward.

think of the rb's having some space to run off the left side.

so the OL would look something like

Q - CR - Kelly - Upgrade at RG -and B Smith

what are your thoughts on this? I know it has been talked about before but what is different is that it looks like Cris Reed can play at a high level

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ruf said:

I have been back and forth with leave Q at LG or pay him and make him our LT I have now decided that is what we should do and what is best for the team going forward.

what are your thoughts on this? I know it has been talked about before but what is different is that it looks like Cris Reed can play at a high level

How about?

LT (draft or FA) - Q - Kelly - CR - Smith

Unless their is a coaching change I don’t think Q is going to LT.  Reich has been pretty clear they don’t have interest in that.  I think fans are just going to have to accept he’s going to get paid a boat load of money to play guard.  

I do think the Colts really like Reed and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s in the mix to move to right guard to replace Glow next year if he keeps performing well.  Let’s also remember it’s been a game and half and teams are just starting to get tape on Reed in the Colts offense and figuring out how to attack him.

If Q hadn’t been injured in training camp I would have had no problem playing him at LT with Reed at G until Fisher was ready.  Nelson & Reed is better than Davenport & Nelson.  Davenport is a liability that can’t be hidden.  Also, when   Q returns I’m starting Reed over Glow. 

42 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Unless their is a coaching change I don’t think Q is going to LT.  Reich has been pretty clear they don’t have interest in that.  I think fans are just going to have to accept he’s going to get paid a boat load of money to play guard.  

I do think the Colts really like Reed and I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s in the mix to move to right guard to replace Glow next year if he keeps performing well.  Let’s also remember it’s been a game and half and teams are just starting to get tape on Reed in the Colts offense and figuring out how to attack him.

Reed isn’t that young but could come down to how much glow wants.

6 minutes ago, Andrew_Luck said:

This is the only way that would make sense.

another thought would be LT-Q -LG Cris Reed-C Kelly- RG Branden Smith - RT E Fisher

I do think when all healed up Q would make a great LT and work well with Reed on the left side and Eric Fisher would make a very solid RT and Smith going back to G could be a really great OL

2 minutes ago, ruf said:

another thought would be LT-Q -LG Cris Reed-C Kelly- RG Branden Smith - RT E Fisher

I do think when all healed up Q would make a great LT and work well with Reed on the left side and Eric Fisher would make a very solid RT and Smith going back to G could be a really great OL

Why would you switch Braden Smith from RT to RG? He plays at a Pro Bowl level 95% of the time and is one of the best in the league at RT. Q, Smith and Kelly should NEVER switch positions. If it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

2 hours ago, Zoltan said:

It’s never gonna happen.  The only valid arguments I think would be if he transitioned to LT he would have to lose some weight so he could be more agile which would help his back problem.

I'm hoping with this time off for the ankles it helps his back to and he'll be a beast when he comes back. 

3 hours ago, ruf said:

To me it's almost the only way that would make some sort of sense from a team building perspective but it isn't going to happen.

The problem that we're going to end up with though is that we'll either have to find a hidden gem at LT or be prepared to have a second (or third) tier player at that crucial position when it's easier to find one who plays competently such as Reed or Glow at guard.

If we have the top paid left guard, 3rd highest paid center and 5th highest paid right guard then we're going to have to scrimp somewhere to share the resourced around. Are we better off doing that at guard or tackle? 

1 hour ago, Andrew_Luck said:

Why would you switch Braden Smith from RT to RG? He plays at a Pro Bowl level 95% of the time and is one of the best in the league at RT. Q, Smith and Kelly should NEVER switch positions. If it's not broke, don't try and fix it.

but it is broke and thats the problem i'm sure the only way to fix it is to put our best lineman at the LT position. we can leave Smith at RT but what i'm seeing is that we can then with Reed playing well at LG the only weak spot would be RG and maybe even Glo would be servicable

53 minutes ago, chrisbeldridge said:

Q either needs to play LT or being willing to take less money.  We should not spend a ton of money on a LG.  I’d let him walk before I’d pay a ton for him to play LG.

I hope you’re prepared to be very disappointed.    If your only two choices are playing LT or letting him walk out the door,  then I think you’ll end up unhappy. 

4 hours ago, Andrew_Luck said:

God I hate that expression.  That's called complacency. Does your car have wheels made of wood? 

Just because something isn't broken doesn't mean you shouldn't still always be looking for ways to make it better.  

2 minutes ago, J@son said:

God I hate that expression.  That's called complacency. Does your car have wheels made of wood? 

Just because something isn't broken doesn't mean you shouldn't still always be looking for ways to make it better.  

Deciding to play musical chairs with 4 out of the 5 offensive line positions is just downright stupidity.  Why would you move guys like Smith and Nelson from their positions? Nelson is the best LG in football and a three time Pro Bowler. Braden Smith doesn't get the credit he deserves and has been playing at a Pro Bowl level the past two seasons. Why would you completely switch their positions? They clearly aren't the issue and moving them anywhere else on the line would be suicide. Having Reed take over for Glowinski makes sense. Right now that would be an upgrade with the way Reed's been playing. Once Nelson and Smith come back the offensive line will look 10x better as long as they can stay healthy.

12 minutes ago, Andrew_Luck said:

Deciding to play musical chairs with 4 out of the 5 offensive line positions is just downright stupidity.  Why would you move guys like Smith and Nelson from their positions? Nelson is the best LG in football and a three time Pro Bowler. Braden Smith doesn't get the credit he deserves and has been playing at a Pro Bowl level the past two seasons. Why would you completely switch their positions? They clearly aren't the issue and moving them anywhere else on the line would be suicide. Having Reed take over for Glowinski makes sense. Right now that would be an upgrade with the way Reed's been playing. Once Nelson and Smith come back the offensive line will look 10x better as long as they can stay healthy.

First, I never said.  The only part of your post I was directly speaking to is the portion  I bolded. :)

Second, while I do agree with you to a degree, it's also obvious that there are problems.  Injuries are a huge part of that obviously.  However, I'll also say that I'm starting to warm to the idea of Nelson at OT.  I agree with those who have said that OGs are easier to find than OTs.  I'd be okay with Nelson being the highest paid OG in the league, but if there's any talk of him a high-end OT salary, then I would have to consider moving him to OT.  If he's even 85% as good at OT as he is at OG then he's still one of the best OTs in the league.  If that doesn't work out then I still most likely keep him.

As for Smith...I agree, he has played very well at OT, which was a very pleasant surprise.  Remember though, he was OG in college and he was good enough to get selected in the 2nd round.  They said very clearly when he was drafted that he was drafted to play OG, but injuries and need forced them to move him to OT where he has also excelled. 

However, we also have Fisher, who's future is still in question as he continues to return to form after injury.  If Fisher is able to return to his pre-injury form, then and only then is when I start to consider some major shuffling, but I also wait until the offseason to do so.  I will say that I am very intrigued at what the ceiling would be for a group consisting of Fisher/Nelson at OT, Kelly at C and OGs of Smith and the best of Reed/Glo/someone_else.

24 minutes ago, J@son said:

First, I never said.  The only part of your post I was directly speaking to is the portion  I bolded. :)

Second, while I do agree with you to a degree, it's also obvious that there are problems.  Injuries are a huge part of that obviously.  However, I'll also say that I'm starting to warm to the idea of Nelson at OT.  I agree with those who have said that OGs are easier to find than OTs.  I'd be okay with Nelson being the highest paid OG in the league, but if there's any talk of him a high-end OT salary, then I would have to consider moving him to OT.  If he's even 85% as good at OT as he is at OG then he's still one of the best OTs in the league.  If that doesn't work out then I still most likely keep him.

As for Smith...I agree, he has played very well at OT, which was a very pleasant surprise.  Remember though, he was OG in college and he was good enough to get selected in the 2nd round.  They said very clearly when he was drafted that he was drafted to play OG, but injuries and need forced them to move him to OT where he has also excelled. 

However, we also have Fisher, who's future is still in question as he continues to return to form after injury.  If Fisher is able to return to his pre-injury form, then and only then is when I start to consider some major shuffling, but I also wait until the offseason to do so.  I will say that I am very intrigued at what the ceiling would be for a group consisting of Fisher/Nelson at OT, Kelly at C and OGs of Smith and the best of Reed/Glo/someone_else.

I apologize for the miscommunication. I didn't realize you were a different person than the guy who created this forum. I remember Braden coming out of college as a Guard and because of injuries he and Glowinski ended up in the starting lineup and the Colts never looked back. I don't think anyone saw Braden turning out to be as good as he is, but luckily for the Colts they struck gold not only by drafting him, but suffering injuries to Joe Haeg and Matt Slauson (If I remember correctly) and being able to pick up Glowinski off the waiver wire (Correct me if I'm wrong. lol.) things just kinda fell into place since they already had Castanzo, Kelly, and Nelson.

You're right about exploring the idea of Q playing LT should wait until the off-season but I am praying Eric Fisher balls out and comes back in 2022 while Chris Ballard signs or drafts his eventual replacement. The Colts need to find their LT for the next decade and reliable insurance depth at Tackle. Bringing back Reed and plugging him in at RG would be an upgrade over Glowinski. A healthy offensive line in 2022 would be nasty and fun to watch.

PS. Love the Jason Voorhees avatar! Huge horror fan! Michael Audrey Myers is my dude though!

1 hour ago, BillCoslosky24 said:

I apologize for the miscommunication. I didn't realize you were a different person than the guy who created this forum. I remember Braden coming out of college as a Guard and because of injuries he and Glowinski ended up in the starting lineup and the Colts never looked back. I don't think anyone saw Braden turning out to be as good as he is, but luckily for the Colts they struck gold not only by drafting him, but suffering injuries to Joe Haeg and Matt Slauson (If I remember correctly) and being able to pick up Glowinski off the waiver wire (Correct me if I'm wrong. lol.) things just kinda fell into place since they already had Castanzo, Kelly, and Nelson.

You're right about exploring the idea of Q playing LT should wait until the off-season but I am praying Eric Fisher balls out and comes back in 2022 while Chris Ballard signs or drafts his eventual replacement. The Colts need to find their LT for the next decade and reliable insurance depth at Tackle. Bringing back Reed and plugging him in at RG would be an upgrade over Glowinski. A healthy offensive line in 2022 would be nasty and fun to watch.

PS. Love the Jason Voorhees avatar! Huge horror fan! Michael Audrey Myers is my dude though!

Actually me too, but my name really is Jason.  i'm looking forward to Halloween Kills but screw them for taking away the brother/sister angle lol

12 minutes ago, J@son said:

Actually me too, but my name really is Jason.  i'm looking forward to Halloween Kills but screw them for taking away the brother/sister angle lol

I never liked the whole brother/sister angle. I love the idea behind him randomly choosing her as a complete stranger in the original film when she dropped the key off at he Myers house only for him to see her for the first time and decide to stalk her. In Halloween 2018 he doesn't have a set agenda for when he escapes and he's randomly going around killing whoever is unfortunate enough to get in his way. I expected him to go straight after Laurie the second he sees her, but he completely ignores her and walks the other way even after she shoots him. I thought it was cool how they had Laurie and Michael reverse roles by making Laurie the one who is stalking Michael while he hides and waits for her to come to him.

Halloween Kills is going to be brutal. I seriously can't wait a few more weeks for it to come out. I have a strong feeling it's gonna go down as my favorite Halloween film.

I would trade Q before I would move him to OT and shuffle the rest of the line. These guys(with castonzo) played 20 straight games together and no one complained. They were consistently ranked in the top 5 and the strength of the team.

Someone mentioned complacency.  Here is another C word: continuity.  That is the number one thing OLs try to have.  They require the most time together bc they have to work as a unit.  Wanting to switch 4 of 5 positions of a group that has been top 5 is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.  The OL is hurt. Give them time to heal and it will fix itself. 

31 minutes ago, BillCoslosky24 said:

I never liked the whole brother/sister angle. I love the idea behind him randomly choosing her as a complete stranger in the original film when she dropped the key off at he Myers house only for him to see her for the first time and decide to stalk her. In Halloween 2018 he doesn't have a set agenda for when he escapes and he's randomly going around killing whoever is unfortunate enough to get in his way. I expected him to go straight after Laurie the second he sees her, but he completely ignores her and walks the other way even after she shoots him. I thought it was cool how they had Laurie and Michael reverse roles by making Laurie the one who is stalking Michael while he hides and waits for her to come to him.

Halloween Kills is going to be brutal. I seriously can't wait a few more weeks for it to come out. I have a strong feeling it's gonna go down as my favorite Halloween film.

well it was the combination of removing the brother/sister angle and ignoring all of the sequels that made Laurie's actions in Halloween 2018 make no sense.  Based on what she knows, Michael is just some rando that went on a killing spree one night who got a handful of victims.  They even ignore part 2 where he follows her to the hospital.  He then gets caught and locked up.  yes, that is a traumatic event don't get me wrong, but for her to obsess as hard as she did to the point she became some sort of survivalist, cutting off most of the outside world and she ruined the relationship she had with her daughter.  There's absolutely no reason for her to be so paranoid that he's going to escape and come after her again.

It may have made the story a little more believable, but they transformed Laurie Strode from a heroine to a mostly unsympathetic whack job.  I do like the theory that she was the one that caused the bus to crash thus freeing Michael.

Back to the colts though lol (maybe there should be a thread in misc. disc about halloween and michael :D ) Fisher is only 30...if he does wind up balling out and returning to his previous form, he could be the LT for the next few years, giving us plenty of time to find and groom his replacement.  

26 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I would trade Q before I would move him to OT and shuffle the rest of the line. These guys(with castonzo) played 20 straight games togetherbut and no one complained. They were consistently ranked in the top 5 and the strength of the team.

Uh, well yeah but Castonzo is gone and Nelson was playing on his rookie contract....what was there to complain about? lol  

Someone mentioned complacency.  Here is another C word: continuity.  That is the number one thing OLs try to have.  They require the most time together bc they have to work as a unit.  Wanting to switch 4 of 5 positions of a group that has been top 5 is nothing more than a knee jerk reaction.  The OL is hurt. Give them time to heal and it will fix itself. 

Continuity is very important, of course.  But it's best to find the right combination first, then put them together and let them start building that continuity.  

Just to make sure I'm 100% clear because I know how this works, I am NOT saying we should start shuffling chairs RIGHT NOW.  I'm simply saying I'm warming up to the idea of tinkering with different combinations during the offseason when hopefully all our guys are healthy.  I don't think it's as ridiculous an idea as some are making it out to be.

51 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

These guys(with castonzo) played 20 straight games together and no one complained. They were consistently ranked in the top 5 and the strength of the team

This is completely fair but it's missing the limitation of how you spend your resources. 

Back in 2019 the whole line cost us less than $25m. Assuming we sign Q for the reported ~$20m per year we'll be spending 66% more than that on just the three contracted players. How do we fill RG and the crucial poition of LT without having a disproportionate amount of the cap tied up just in one area? We can probably fill the guard positions with players like Reed who don't blow the bank but can we fill the LT position?

8 hours ago, BillCoslosky24 said:

Oh it's broke.  It's broke as hell.  Now, if we could just find that ace wrap and super glue....  It's not broke beyond repair by any means, but it's gonna take some time for the glue to set.

5 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

This is completely fair but it's missing the limitation of how you spend your resources. 

Back in 2019 the whole line cost us less than $25m. Assuming we sign Q for the reported ~$20m per year we'll be spending 66% more than that on just the three contracted players. How do we fill RG and the crucial poition of LT without having a disproportionate amount of the cap tied up just in one area? We can probably fill the guard positions with players like Reed who don't blow the bank but can we fill the LT position?

Cap explodes in a year or so, we'll be fine....as long as they keep up the top end productivity

15 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Cap explodes in a year or so, we'll be fine....as long as they keep up the top end productivity

We're still going to end up with 25% - 30% of our cap just tied up in those 5 players if we resign Q the money he deserved and get an above average LT. Its a lot and I can't think of any successful teams who have won with resources allocated like that. There has to be a couple of "Chris Reeds" on the line somewhere.

20 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

I dont see people moving guards to tackle in madden, that isnt a thing there.  This thread is about problem with the real colts 

You should be asking yourself why no actual, real world, paid-to-do-this NFL personnel people seem to agree with you.

It's a fun thing to talk about -- kinda like imagining what kind of superstar Chad Kelly or Jacob Eason could be...if they only got their shot.  But it's not an option for anything but a desperate situation.

Everybody knows how great of a lineman Quenton Nelson is.  And, yeah, we're aware that he's played the Tackle position in the past.  But he shined as a guard -- and it's a different position with a different skillset.  They aren't all that interchangeable.  I mean...it's more plausible than putting, say, Mo Alie-Cox in at LT.  But it's still a reach.

2 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Oh it's broke.  It's broke as hell.  Now, if we could just find that ace wrap and super glue....  It's not broke beyond repair by any means, but it's gonna take some time for the glue to set.

I'm willing to wait until we have the starters back healthy to make that determination.

Injuries suck.  But they're a part of the game -- a part that we've been blessed to largely avoid on our offensive line the past couple seasons.  But it's hit us now and the consequences of that are plain to see -- but (hopefully) temporary.

The good news is that we've found a good player in Reed.  He started 14 games for Carolina last year and looks competent enough -- especially for the price.  And, as somebody said above, we're getting into a situation where we're going to have to let go some of the higher priced guys.  And that means we'll need to find competent players who aren't expensive.

7 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like Q himself was reluctant to move to LT so... seems like this is dead in the water as an idea unless Quenton is at the very least willing to try.

It's there as an emergency option, which is all it should be -- about like whoever gets the tag as the emergency QB.  Nelson isn't moving to a regular LT.

I posted this in the other Nelson thread but maybe here is more appropriate

This shipped sailed in 2018.  You pay your good players, and he is a LG.  Any consequences of that need to be worked around, and any consequences about salary structure should have been considered at the time of the draft. 

I doubt that Ballard or Reich have any issues with paying their LG top dollar, or else they would not have made the pick in the first place.  Unless, they simply wanted to get Luck immediate help for the next season or two and were willing to kick the consequences down the road until  they had to face them.  Chances are, they are just fine with paying him.

37 minutes ago, stitches said:

seems like this is dead in the water as an idea unless Quenton is at the very least willing to try.

He said teams asked him about that before the draft and he answered he was fine with moving to LT.  He thinks he can play any position on the line

There were teams that wanted to put him there but he was gone by their pick 

10 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

He said teams asked him about that before the draft and he answered he was fine with moving to LT.  He thinks he can play any position on the line

I'd rather put him at C than LT and let Kelly walk at some point.  

37 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

That was 3 years ago. Reports this year were that Q being reluctant to make the move was one of the reasons it wasn't tried. 

4 hours ago, J@son said:

Uh, well yeah but Castonzo is gone and Nelson was playing on his rookie contract....what was there to complain about? lol  

Continuity is very important, of course.  But it's best to find the right combination first, then put them together and let them start building that continuity.  

Just to make sure I'm 100% clear because I know how this works, I am NOT saying we should start shuffling chairs RIGHT NOW.  I'm simply saying I'm warming up to the idea of tinkering with different combinations during the offseason when hopefully all our guys are healthy.  I don't think it's as ridiculous an idea as some are making it out to be.

I get the line is getting expensive.  That’s how it goes when you put together a talented bunch.  The issue is they need to get healthy.  If the line was playing at their previous top 5 form no one would be considering shuffling positions and salary cap ramifications would be justified by most.  Most concerns will all go away once they are healthy.  RG will be filled with either a cheaper FA or player already on rookie contract and LT will be eventually filled thru the draft.  Once those players are ready for their second contracts I expect we will move on from Kelly, Smith and or Nelson and the cycle will continue. This is all temporary and it will work itself out 

Archived