Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moncrief

Would You Take A Safety At 34th

If Mark Barron or Harrison Smith were there at our selection in the second round, would you take one of them? I realize we signed Zbikowski

Mark Barron will likely not be there, but if he is, I say take him, he is a playmaker and a top 15 talent

I said safety so I had to give the people more than 1 choice. I understand Barron is a top 20 talent. I wanted him in the second earlier in the year

I said safety so I had to give the people more than 1 choice. I understand Barron is a top 20 talent. I wanted him in the second earlier in the year

I would only take Barron

Only Barron because it would be a great steal. Otherwise no way - we have greater needs and everybody else would bee a reach.

Well the reason I asked was even though we have more pressing needs would you

Even though I'm a fan of Best Pick Available, Safety is one of those positions I'd make an exception for. I'm sure someone just as talented and we need more will be there.

I wouldn't take Harrison Smith at 34. We have bigger needs.

There are talented wide receivers at 34 such as Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, and Stephen Hill. Reuben Randle will be there but I find him extremely overrated.

Mods, please change the title of the thread to "Would You Waste The 34th Pick?" in other words, why would we?

if jenkins,fleener,hill,barron all fell to us i would still take mark barron. barron would fill the void left by bob sanders that we need. i dont think he'll make it past the bengals.

Yes on Barron. I would like him there... Maybe run some D with 3 safeties in to help with defending against 2 TE sets.

if jenkins,fleener,hill,barron all fell to us i would still take mark barron. barron would fill the void left by bob sanders that we need. i dont think he'll make it past the bengals.

Zbikowski?

Hey man why don't you just answer the question in a manner that isn't so rude

Zbikowski?

zbikowski is a godd ss but barron is much better and a big hitter. barron is the best ss prospect since seantaylor.he has the speed of a cb but he's also as big as some lb's. zbikowski 5'11 205lbs 4.8 40, barron 6'3 220lbs 4.47 40.

zbikowski is a godd ss but barron is much better and a big hitter. barron is the best ss prospect since seantaylor.he has the speed of a cb but he's also as big as some lb's. zbikowski 5'11 205lbs 4.8 40, barron 6'3 220lbs 4.47 40.

I doubt he is the best player available, but it's possible. And Barron is hardly the best S prospect since Taylor. Earl Thomas, Eric Berry? Early first rounders. I think it's a waste to draft a S at all this year.

Zbikowski?

i like tom z, but he has been a career backup. this reminds me of last year when people got excited about tommy harris

i like tom z, but he has been a career backup. this reminds me of last year when people got excited about tommy harris

He's played a lot of FS behind Reed, and got pushed out of SS by pollard. If he sucks, we can draft/sign a S next year.

the colts do need a safety but its not a top priority. Our top needs go (assuming we draft Luck) CB, TE, WR, O-Line, RB. Pagano could make Barron into a star but to me, the colts should go with Fleener (if he's there), Josh Norman, Stephen Hill, or Reuben Randle.

No, we have Zib, and it would be silly if we signed him just for him to backup. It's not a need if you ask me. There are some players that are great and they fill a need like Fleener or some CBs.

I'd take Barron in a heartbeat. Safety is a need and Harrison Smith is good, but there will be more value at #34 at CB and WR, IMO. If there were another DOMINANT safety available I might be tempted to take him if Jenkins, Fleener, Hill, and Jeffery all went in the 1st.

Mods, please change the title of the thread to "Would You Waste The 34th Pick?" in other words, why would we?

Because Barron has the potential to be a play maker in the secondary which would give us the best safety tandem in the league. Which could go a long way in improving the defense. Also the fact that we are 3 years away from being real SB contenders so its best now to pick up on superstar talent even if it isnt the biggest need, since we cant cover all the needs this draft anyways... But besides that, nothing i suppose.

Barron will likely not make it out of the 1st round. Besides, as several fellow posters have already pointed out, the Colts have more pressing needs than safety. The Colts should be ok with Bethea and Zibikowski for this season. Zibikowski already knows the new defensive system the Colts D will run, so that will help out the other DBs. Colts need to go WR; Stephen Hill or Mohamed Sanu (unless CB Stephon Gilmore is avaliable)...

Yes to Barron, won't be there, so moot point. I also would take Trent Richardson, but he won't be there, so also moot. Point is, there is no point in including Barron.

By need....TE, CB, OG.

By draft depth....WR, 4/3 DE

Best player available or trade down? That is the question.

No, but I think Harrison Smith and Mark Barron will be great NFL players one day. We have bigger needs, I just hope someone picks them up before the Patriots do.

I have my doubts about Barron. I don't watch film or anything like that, but his size reminds me of Taylor Mays who a lot of people were enamoured with. He has been nothing but a bust. You want your Safeties to have range in the passing game, an ability to play one half of the field in the deep zone. If you're going to draft him to play in the box, that tells me your front 7 isn't doing its job.

Im asking because its not out of the realm of possibility. Safeties don't typically get taken in the 1st. I realize Barron will, the guy has to much potential. I just wanted to ask because given all our needs would you take a Mark Barron in the second.