Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nelson to IR

indyagent17

2 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

They could have made it work if they wanted it to be a priority.  Teams usually make moves to keep good LTs, rather than let them walk over cap space.  He wanted to stay too

Well, sure.  But the cap forces teams to make hard decisions.

Let me put it this way:  if their online communities were any indication, the general attitude of Chiefs fans when Fisher left was neither exuberance nor outrage....it was more like regretful understanding.  They saw how the league's best offense looked without him and, well, they didn't like what they saw.  But, kinda like when Manning left here, the fans understood -- keeping him wasn't a realistic option.  He was worth more in Free Agency than the Chiefs were going to be able to pay him.

Did the injury factor into that?  Yeah.  But they'd still have had a difficult choice to make even if he hadn't have been injured.  And given the contract they signed Mahomes to, that fun is just getting started for the Chiefs.

In fact, their biggest near-term problem wasn't Mahomes...it was Clark and Mathieu.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO paying Nelson is a no brainer. I don't think it's the best way to spend 20M, but I also think it will be hard finding better ways to spend it on a single player simply because players of that quality at more valuable positions rarely hit FA and when they do they usually won't choose the Colts. 

I've said it before and I will say it again - the biggest mistake GMs make is paying bad/mediocre players big money. Paying big money to elite talent is very rarely if ever a mistake and Nelson is as elite as you can get in the league. 

This shipped sailed in 2018.  You pay your good players, and he is a LG.  Any consequences of that need to be worked around, and any consequences about salary structure should have been considered at the time of the draft. 

I doubt that Ballard or Reich have any issues with paying their LG top dollar, or else they would not have made the pick in the first place.  Unless, they simply wanted to get Luck immediate help for the next season or two and were willing to kick the consequences down the road until  they had to face them.  Chances are, they are just fine with paying him.

21 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Fisher should have taken the year off imo

Thank God he didn’t or we would have Davenport out there.  He’s recovering faster than I expected.  I’m expecting him to fully recover and be our LT for many years.  I think he’s only 31.  His signing will work out great for us long term and I think Reed will as well.

9 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I’m expecting him to fully recover

Everyone seems to be saying that here.  I think the chiefs would have brought him back if they were that optimistic about this season.  idk about the future either hes only signed for this year

1 hour ago, BlackTiger said:

Everyone seems to be saying that here.  I think the chiefs would have brought him back if they were that optimistic about this season.  idk about the future either hes only signed for this year

If I remember correctly the Chiefs were dealing with a number of issues with their OL when the season ended.  They just didn’t want to take the chance on him.  We did and so far so good.  No GM was going to sign him long term with that injury.  So now we have the inside opportunity if he has a good recovery.  Great for us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, throwing BBZ said:

GEE, maybe we see a guy that might be one of the best LT's, one that could actually earn LT $$$,  knowing that good guards are findable and cost MUCH LESS $$$, AND we would be playing with a VERY GOOD combo for much less $$$.  

Q  $20M

F $ 14M

or Q $20M

Pitner $1M

And $13M for more talent - very simple really

Man lol , after watching another game of fisher playing LT Q can’t be any worst throw the big guy out there lol 

On 10/4/2021 at 11:01 AM, BlackTiger said:

I think he's spent...he'll what's up with the amount of penalties on top of blown blocks... I truly believe Pryor could do better. Hope Smith is back soon. I wouldn't mind Q at Tackle if he will do it Reed is a beast. When Q comes back Glow is getting replaced..

Archived