• SS Terrell Edmunds (Steelers)
  • SS Ronnie Harrison (Browns)
  • SS Armani Watts (Chiefs)

Cornerbacks

• LCB D.J. Reed Jr. (Seahawks)
  • LCB Taron Johnson (Bills)
  • RCB Isaiah Oliver (Falcons)
  • RCB Chris Westry (Ravens)

From what I can tell all the above players continue to prove they belong in the NFL.  I do realize we can't target all of them but do believe some very good talent worth monitoring and worth exploring to improve the Colts team.  

As the season continues on some new names should prove to be worthy target additions as well and some of these will downgrade but always open to suggestions of your favorites. 

On 9/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, OhioColt said:

Wide Receivers

• Courtland Sutton (Broncos)
  • Christian Kirk (Cardinals)
  • KhaDarel Hodge (Lions)
  • Cameron Batson (Titans)
  • Cedrick Wilson Jr. (Cowboys)

Tight Ends

• Mike Gesicki (Dolphins)
  • Dallas Goedert (Eagles)
  • Will Dissly (Seahawks)

Offensive Lineman

• LG Lucas Patrick (Packers) 
  • RG Wyatt Teller (Browns)
  • RG Austin Corbett (Rams)
  • RG Alex Cappa (TB Bucs)
  • RT Geron Christian Sr. (Texans)

Defensive Lineman

• LDT Folorunso Fatukasi (NY Jets)
  • LDT Tim Settle (Washington)
  • LDT Harrison Phillips (Bills)
  • RDT Malik McDowell (Browns)

Linebackers

• Frankie Luvu (Panthers) 
  • Marcell Harris (49ers)

Safeties

• FS Jessie Bates (Bengals)
  • FS Marcus Williams (Saints)

Cornerbacks

From what I can tell all the above players continue to prove they belong in the NFL.  I do realize we can't target all of them but do believe some very good talent worth monitoring and worth exploring to improve the Colts team.  

As the season continues on some new names should prove to be worthy target additions as well and some of these will downgrade but always open to suggestions of your favorites. 

No disrepect, but what exactly do you like about these guys enough to target? All of the bolded are guys who are just as proven, if not less proven then guys we currently have on our roster or practice squad.

On 10/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, NorthernColt said:

No disrepect, but what exactly do you like about these guys enough to target? All of the bolded are guys who are just as proven, if not less proven then guys we currently have on our roster or practice squad.

All three of these wide receivers’ contracts expire after this season J.J. Nelson, Ashton Dulin, and Quartney Davis.  Right now, Nelson and Davis are on IR.  With Davis realize he is somewhat unproven in real game situations with no stat line.  Nelson is an older player that has shown some game play a few years ago to go on but with both Hodge and Batson they are two players who have displayed enough to warrant a closer look over the past few years as solid replacements.  Batson is a smaller slot receiver that had limited action but 100% catch rate and No drops last season.  Hodge is a younger better version of Nelson.  After this season odds of Hilton coming back expect to be very low leaving us with Pittman as our main starter.  Expect us to resign Dulin but not sure if we can resign Pascal or even wish to.  If Doyle retires have an eerie feeling that our receiving corps going to need an upgrade of proven players that we can rotate in the lineups over what we currently have.

After the first few weeks Khari Willis is struggling and we signed a solid veteran in Andrew Sendejo which shows how badly we are with DB depth.  Honestly don't think SS Terrell Edmunds (Steelers) would be a target for the Colts but he could be an upgrade just again don't see it happening.  Just like our wide receiver depth we got a few DBs contract expiring as well with Nick Nelson, T.J. Carrie, and George Odum.  Nelson hasn't done much and with SS Armani Watts he has some game experience to work with would be an upgrade I think.  Much like our issues at SS or RCB also will need depth to starter help very soon.  Rhodes is also going to be a FA and RCB Chris Westry has flashed potential as a backup/starter.  

Bottom line is I don't see what these guys do in practice nor on our practice squad to make real-time business decisions.  However, I can see what what these other team's players have done in real game situations to come in and help improve the Colts team next off-season.  So bigger question is it easier to reign current active players or try to upgrade the team in FA?  Other consideration is what are we targeting in the draft after we have to forfeit either a first or second round draft pick?  At some point have to think our key additions will have to be WR, TE, LT, RG just on offense.  Might have to add a backup RB capable starter if Mack leaves as well.  Then on defense also need to determine futures on RCB and SS if Willis continues to have issues and potentially MLB if the Okereke experiment this year fails which I am hoping not.  Forward thinking we do have a lot of turnover am forecasting at the end of this season and cap space will be limited.  

14 hours ago, OhioColt said:

All three of these wide receivers’ contracts expire after this season J.J. Nelson, Ashton Dulin, and Quartney Davis.  Right now, Nelson and Davis are on IR.  With Davis realize he is somewhat unproven in real game situations with no stat line.  Nelson is an older player that has shown some game play a few years ago to go on but with both Hodge and Batson they are two players who have displayed enough to warrant a closer look over the past few years as solid replacements.  Batson is a smaller slot receiver that had limited action but 100% catch rate and No drops last season.  Hodge is a younger better version of Nelson.  After this season odds of Hilton coming back expect to be very low leaving us with Pittman as our main starter.  Expect us to resign Dulin but not sure if we can resign Pascal or even wish to.  If Doyle retires have an eerie feeling that our receiving corps going to need an upgrade of proven players that we can rotate in the lineups over what we currently have.

After the first few weeks Khari Willis is struggling and we signed a solid veteran in Andrew Sendejo which shows how badly we are with DB depth.  Honestly don't think SS Terrell Edmunds (Steelers) would be a target for the Colts but he could be an upgrade just again don't see it happening.  Just like our wide receiver depth we got a few DBs contract expiring as well with Nick Nelson, T.J. Carrie, and George Odum.  Nelson hasn't done much and with SS Armani Watts he has some game experience to work with would be an upgrade I think.  Much like our issues at SS or RCB also will need depth to starter help very soon.  Rhodes is also going to be a FA and RCB Chris Westry has flashed potential as a backup/starter.  

Bottom line is I don't see what these guys do in practice nor on our practice squad to make real-time business decisions.  However, I can see what what these other team's players have done in real game situations to come in and help improve the Colts team next off-season.  So bigger question is it easier to reign current active players or try to upgrade the team in FA?  Other consideration is what are we targeting in the draft after we have to forfeit either a first or second round draft pick?  At some point have to think our key additions will have to be WR, TE, LT, RG just on offense.  Might have to add a backup RB capable starter if Mack leaves as well.  Then on defense also need to determine futures on RCB and SS if Willis continues to have issues and potentially MLB if the Okereke experiment this year fails which I am hoping not.  Forward thinking we do have a lot of turnover am forecasting at the end of this season and cap space will be limited.  

Fair points. Yeah I don't mind these if we're talking depth replacing depth. I just think personally at those positions, I think I'd have my sights set higher imo.

On 9/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, OhioColt said:

Wide Receivers

• Courtland Sutton (Broncos)
  • Christian Kirk (Cardinals)
  • KhaDarel Hodge (Lions)
  • Cameron Batson (Titans)
  • Cedrick Wilson Jr. (Cowboys)

Tight Ends

• Mike Gesicki (Dolphins)
  • Dallas Goedert (Eagles)
  • Will Dissly (Seahawks)

Offensive Lineman

• LG Lucas Patrick (Packers) 
  • RG Wyatt Teller (Browns)
  • RG Austin Corbett (Rams)
  • RG Alex Cappa (TB Bucs)
  • RT Geron Christian Sr. (Texans)

Defensive Lineman

• LDT Folorunso Fatukasi (NY Jets)
  • LDT Tim Settle (Washington)
  • LDT Harrison Phillips (Bills)
  • RDT Malik McDowell (Browns)

Linebackers

• Frankie Luvu (Panthers) 
  • Marcell Harris (49ers)

Safeties

• FS Jessie Bates (Bengals)
  • FS Marcus Williams (Saints)

Cornerbacks

Let's not rush to sign players for next year or 2023, 2024,2025.

Let's give our own time to shine.....you know, the "Delayed Gratification" thing. 

:funny:

On 10/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, bertjones7 said:

CB - JC Jackson - I'm sure Pats will try to keep him as his emergence allowed them to trade Gilmore

TE - I would rather go with high upside guys that are not utilized like David Njoku or OJ Howard.

Isn’t OJ often injured? 

8 hours ago, krunk said:

Whitney Mercilus released

Adding another DE seems be low priority for the Colts.  The Colts are getting good results from Paye and Lewis.  Even Rochell had another really strong game with limited snaps.  While AQM and Banogu both been playing somewhat decent.  Time will tell how well Dayo can perform.

Our DB group not sure what is happening this year but everyone seems down except RYS.  Keyes had another terrible outing and we probably should be rotating in Chesley instead.  Willis looked good watching the game but still some issues he needs to clean up.  Even Blackmon allowing too many passes.  Our depth at safety is already an area of concern.  After 6 weeks, some off-season FA targets to add are:

SS Jaquiski Tartt (49ers)

SS Jayron Kearse (Cowboys)

FS Marcus Williams (Saints)

FS Xavier Woods (Vikings)

FS Jessie Bates III (Cincy)

FS Erik Harris ( Falcons)

I think people counting on a high priced free agent in '22 are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Start with $60 mill then start subtracting for Nelson and a Left Tackle.

We'll need every last dollar to sign the rest of the roster.     I don't see room for another free agent that will cost $10 Mill plus per year.

I'd love to be wrong,  but I don't see it.

RDT Malik McDowell (Browns)

WR Christian Kirk (Cardinals)

SS Jaquiski Tartt

All of these will fit our offense and defense very well. Like Ballard brought in Trey Burton for a year, I am with @bertjones7 to get Njoku or Howard on a 1 year deal that Ballard likes to do. Most likely, it will be Howard because I don't see Njoku without the injury history of Howard, doing a 1 year deal. Maybe a 2 year deal like he did with Ebron would fit Njoku, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/20/2021 at 2:15 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think people counting on a high priced free agent in '22 are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Start with $60 mill then start subtracting for Nelson and a Left Tackle.

We'll need every last dollar to sign the rest of the roster.     I don't see room for another free agent that will cost $10 Mill plus per year.

I'd love to be wrong,  but I don't see it.

Cut Doyle and Banogu and it’s close to 7M extra in cap space. 

Just watching Tim Patrick play for the Broncos there versus the Cowboys. Over 6'4, runs in the 4.4s, plays on the perimeter and makes plays down field. He is a FA next year. Would be cool for Carson to have too big paymaking WRs either side.

I just wonder will Denver be willing to pay him, along with Sutton and they already have Jeudy and Hamler.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:00 PM, Colt Overseas said:

Just watching Tim Patrick play for the Broncos there versus the Cowboys. Over 6'4, runs in the 4.4s, plays on the perimeter and makes plays down field. He is a FA next year. Would be cool for Carson to have too big paymaking WRs either side.

I just wonder will Denver be willing to pay him, along with Sutton and they already have Jeudy and Hamler.

Patrick would be an immediate upgrade over Pascal. Broncos might be low on cap space if they have to pay a premium for QB Bridgewater the way he has been playing.  Wouldn't be surprised to see Sutton or Patrick shop the FA market.

Another WR I like to target is Noah Brown (Cowboys) that would be an upgrade and probably could get on a fairly cheap deal.

Just hoping the Colts in the offseason heavily pursue DBs in FA.  As a backup LCB Chavarius Ward (Chiefs) paired with another backup RCB Brandon Facyson (Raiders) then add either starting RCB Bryce Callahan (Broncos) a bit of an age risk/reward or better yet RCB Steven Nelson (Eagles).

On 10/20/2021 at 12:48 AM, OhioColt said:

Adding another DE seems be low priority for the Colts.  The Colts are getting good results from Paye and Lewis.  Even Rochell had another really strong game with limited snaps.  While AQM and Banogu both been playing somewhat decent.  Time will tell how well Dayo can perform.

Our DB group not sure what is happening this year but everyone seems down except RYS.  Keyes had another terrible outing and we probably should be rotating in Chesley instead.  Willis looked good watching the game but still some issues he needs to clean up.  Even Blackmon allowing too many passes.  Our depth at safety is already an area of concern.  After 6 weeks, some off-season FA targets to add are:

SS Jaquiski Tartt (49ers)

SS Jayron Kearse (Cowboys)

FS Marcus Williams (Saints)

FS Xavier Woods (Vikings)

FS Jessie Bates III (Cincy)

FS Erik Harris ( Falcons)

First Off ..... O-H

You may be right about what the Colts think, (I have no idea) 

but I myself, would VERY much seek a 1-B pass rusher

(Not an 20M guy, but someone that could be that guy that could get a legitimate 6-8 sacks and pressures)

This defense is predicated on getting a pass rush. Its the ONE place that I would invest SOME FA dollars in the off season

A rotational guy that could play at LDE or RDE would seem to be a fit..... 

I think we may be able to fill in the holes that we have at FS / CB in the draft

If our defense could cover and rush the passer, (even 10% better) we would be a legitimate 7-2 instead of 4-5 

We had the Ravens, Rams, and Titans against the wall, and let them up

Our offense is coming around

We need some health , some development at TE, and maybe a jitterbug type WR.

The defense is clear

Need a better pass rush and we need a FS that can make plays

(And a CB or two to develop)

Our defense has some obvious holes 

On your list of FA’s you left off Eric Fisher and WR Davonte Adams.  I fully expect us to resign Fisher to a long term deal unless he gets a serious injury again or his play regresses.  I don’t see the need to rush out and sign Nelson to a long term deal this off season.  That’s why the league created the 5th year option.  With TY, Doyle, Banogu, and Rhodes most likely gone I would go hard after Adams and get the best deep threat in the league for our offense.  It’s a passing league.  I would give Reich another big time weapon to use to take advantage of Wentz’s big arm. I could see Ballard signing another corner and bringing back Blackmon and Willis at safety.  JMO.

On 11/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, richard pallo said:

On your list of FA’s you left off Eric Fisher and WR Davonte Adams.  I fully expect us to resign Fisher to a long term deal unless he gets a serious injury again or his play regresses.  I don’t see the need to rush out and sign Nelson to a long term deal this off season.  That’s why the league created the 5th year option.  With TY, Doyle, Banogu, and Rhodes most likely gone I would go hard after Adams and get the best deep threat in the league for our offense.  It’s a passing league.  I would give Reich another big time weapon to use to take advantage of Wentz’s big arm. I could see Ballard signing another corner and bringing back Blackmon and Willis at safety.  JMO.

I agree with some of what your posted, but I would respectfully disagree with a few of your points

Eric Fisher is allowing WAY too many QB hits per game

Wentz will be in the hospital soon, if Fisher doesnt step it up

Im trying to determine if the poor pass blocking is a lingering effect of the injury healing. He can run block well, but sheeze the guy has whiffed badly on some average DEs

I agree that we try to resign him, but there is NO WAY, I am paying the guy 18 - 20M per year like the top FA LTs

He isnt a top 15 LT in the game.... why pay him that way?

We DO need a future rookie that MIGHT have a chance to developing at LT (Its a long shot where we draft, of course)

IMHO

I think you have to sign Nelson to the long term deal in this coming offseason.  When healthy, he is simply the best player we have on the team. 

I truly hope that we DONT bring back both safeties......  We need someone that actually makes some plays..... The glaring 2 holes on this defense is another DE pass rusher AND a play making FS. We need at least one CB to develop as well.

If we come away with a FS and CB in the draft (maybe 2nd and 3rd) I would be very happy....

1 hour ago, MikeCurtis said:

I agree with some of what your posted, but I would respectfully disagree with a few of your points

Eric Fisher is allowing WAY too many QB hits per game

Wentz will be in the hospital soon, if Fisher doesnt step it up

Im trying to determine if the poor pass blocking is a lingering effect of the injury healing. He can run block well, but sheeze the guy has whiffed badly on some average DEs

I agree that we try to resign him, but there is NO WAY, I am paying the guy 18 - 20M per year like the top FA LTs

He isnt a top 15 LT in the game.... why pay him that way?

We DO need a future rookie that MIGHT have a chance to developing at LT (Its a long shot where we draft, of course)

IMHO

I think you have to sign Nelson to the long term deal in this coming offseason.  When healthy, he is simply the best player we have on the team. 

I truly hope that we DONT bring back both safeties......  We need someone that actually makes some plays..... The glaring 2 holes on this defense is another DE pass rusher AND a play making FS. We need at least one CB to develop as well.

If we come away with a FS and CB in the draft (maybe 2nd and 3rd) I would be very happy....

I think Fisher is having trouble handling speed ER’s primarily.  I think that will improve as he continues to rebound from his injury.  I don’t know what Ballard is going to resign him for but I fully expect him to be back next year.  We don’t “have “ to sign Nelson this off season.  He is under contract and we have the 5th year option.  That’s why it’s there.  To help teams manage their roster and cap better.  No reason to jump the gun early.  The money can better be spent elsewhere.  No 1st rounder this year.  He should fill a hole in FA this year with a playmaker.  JMO 

I have not read the analysis of the current salary cap situation yet, but compared to this year:

Salaries that are rolling off:

TY, Glow, likely Turay and Ben (cut), Mack, Rhodes..... maybe Lewis...... possibly Doyle. 

Not sure how much money that adds up to, but all could be replaced with guys already on the roster or mid round draft picks, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

While it will not be easy I think the Colts have to find a way to make a couple savvy signings this offseason. There are too many needs to rely on a draft especially without a first round pick. Plus, some of the young guys just haven't shown enough this season to project them to fill needs going forward.

I think someone like Charles Harris could be a good fit. He might be playing out of the Colts price range though. If Harris can play some SAM he could fill a role the Colts originally envisioned for Banogu when they drafted him. (sort of a hybrid Bruce Irvin type of role) With Dayo's versatility and Ballard's emphasis on the dline this could be the type of move he looks to make. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/12/2021 at 8:38 AM, MikeCurtis said:

but I myself, would VERY much seek a 1-B pass rusher

(Not an 20M guy, but someone that could be that guy that could get a legitimate 6-8 sacks and pressures)

This defense is predicated on getting a pass rush. Its the ONE place that I would invest SOME FA dollars in the off season

A rotational guy that could play at LDE or RDE would seem to be a fit..... 

I am exaggerating here, but I do think that even if we had TJ Watt, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald and Buckner, Flus would tell them just to line up and go straight ahead, sending only a 4-man rush the entire game.

No stunts. No blitzes that the opposing O-line would have to account for.

Just over and over -- go straight ahead. So even with the fictional talented cast I've mentioned above, Flus would find a way to diminish their effectiveness. I truly think Flus is the biggest issue with our defense.

I think if we want to get better on defense, we get rid of Flus, get a new coach with an attacking philosophy and then build the personnel around that. Otherwise, we will be adding talent to a defense with the philosophy of bend but don't break. No thanks, I am over that "soft" philosophy. 

Archived