Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Greg Cosell on Dan Dakich show

stitches

One thing I cannot deny Dakich is - he gets some of the best guests on Indy radio and Greg Cosell is arguably my favorite NFL analyst. The interview starts at about 58 minute mark of the file:

Here are some highlights on the Colts specifically:

- one of the things through 3 games, I don't think they've ever gotten into a rhythm running the ball and last year Jonathan Taylor was the foundation of the Colts offensive game down the stretch

- run game is a patience thing... you have to stay with it

- On Wentz: "At one point [in the past] I thought Wentz is going to be phenomenal and it hasn't quite played out like that. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons I don't know about because I wasn't in the locker room and meeting rooms in Philly. Watching Wentz at this point - I think there are certain things that are problematic. He leaves some throws on the field. There are times he waits too long for routes to develop, other times he just doesn't turn the ball loose when the throws are there. The result is that he gets stuck in the pocket and he takes too many hits and sacks. I think he's gotta work through that. At his core, I'm not sure if he's a truly rhythic player, he might be more of a big play QB, but you can't sit in the pocket and wait for things, not in the NFL. " Wentz has been better this year than last 2 years in Philly so he might be on the right track. Wentz needs constant coaching with his mechanics because he has tendency to lose his mechanics, tendency to overstride, which leads to scattershot throws.

51 minutes ago, stitches said:

He leaves some throws on the field. There are times he waits too long for routes to develop, other times he just doesn't turn the ball loose when the throws are there. The result is that he gets stuck in the pocket and he takes too many hits and sacks. I think he's gotta work through that.

This is what I’ve been seeing and think is happening.  

something profound (perhaps) is that he said he has that wide stance (at times) and it messes all of his throwing mechanics up (causing the ball to sail).  And that the coaching staff should stay on him about the mechanics constantly.  You'd think this far along in his career he would have that down pat.

7 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

something profound (perhaps) is that he said he has that wide stance (at times) and it messes all of his throwing mechanics up (causing the ball to sail).  And that the coaching staff should stay on him about the mechanics constantly.  You'd think this far along in his career he would have that down pat.

Wentz has mentioned he will be keeping in touch with 3D academy all year to make sure he stays on top of his mechanics.  At this point we don’t know anything about him or what he can be. We may not find out until the second half of the season and this oline gets healthy. Wentz is way down on the list of issues right now. They have been moving the ball just fine. Just a few more red zone conversions  and we have 2 wins and are 2-1. 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

IMO it's a fools errand to try and put a microscope on Wentz while the OL is a mess and he's driving two bad wheels. 

It's like trying to time an Indy car with 2 flats on gravel. 

What makes it sad we may have to sit him to preserve that pick next season when he and the oline is healthy and should be building chemistry for next season. 

Just now, Wentzszn said:

What makes it sad we may have to sit him to preserve that pick next season when he and the oline is healthy and should be building chemistry for next season. 

Sitting him just to preserve the pick isn't happening.

If they find a convenient ankle clean up operation that's required, and will keep him out a chunk of the season, then sure... 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Sitting him just to preserve the pick isn't happening.

If they find a convenient ankle clean up operation that's required, and will keep him out a chunk of the season, then sure... 

Well if it ended up a top five pick they have no choice. Yeah they will find something so it doesnt look bad. But that should be time to be building for next year so they can hit the ground running.

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Well if it ended up a top five pick they have no choice. Yeah they will find something so it doesnt look bad. But that should be time to be building for next year so they can hit the ground running.

Top 15, top 10, top 5, doesn't matter.

If the season is out of reach, and they were willing to do an end around, they should do it as early as possible. Then he comes back and gets some time at the end of the season. He seems to be getting better, so just doubt it happens regardless of draft position. 

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He would need to sit 5 games.  Unless he is truly injured,  it isn't happening

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Top 15, top 10, top 5, doesn't matter.

If the season is out of reach, and they were willing to do an end around, they should do it as early as possible. Then he comes back and gets some time at the end of the season. He seems to be getting better, so just doubt it happens regardless of draft position. 

I agree that is what will happen. I just think it is sad when that time could of been used to build for next year. 

It seems the football Gods have decreed that Wentz be under a magnifying glass and criticized or question every move he makes or doesn't make. This while having horrible protection and playing hurt because his backups give the team zero chance of winning if they played instead. 

Better Wentz be scrutinized than Reich and Ballard. 

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I agree that is what will happen. I just think it is sad when that time could of been used to build for next year. 

Wentz was brought in to win it this year.  They think Wentz is the answer at QB.  I don't think anything changes unless we are eliminated early or, heaven forbid, he get's injured again and it's a bad one. 

8 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Wentz was brought in to win it this year.  They think Wentz is the answer at QB.  I don't think anything changes unless we are eliminated early or, heaven forbid, he get's injured again and it's a bad one. 

We're sitting at about a 2% chance based on 23 years of data (at 0-3).

At 0-4, we'd have a 1% probability of the playoffs. At 0-5, 0%. 

That's all based on a 16 game season. Conservatively add a point (which is likely more than fair) if you'd like.

So really, Miami is a must win given a win over the Ravens isn't likely. Heck, we're dogs to Miami.

2 hours ago, stitches said:

The result is that he gets stuck in the pocket and he takes too many hits and sacks. I think he's gotta work through that. At his core, I'm not sure if he's a truly rhythmic player, he might be more of a big play QB, but you can't sit in the pocket and wait for things, not in the NFL.

Agreed.

50 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We're sitting at about a 2% chance based on 23 years of data (at 0-3).

At 0-4, we'd have a 1% probability of the playoffs. At 0-5, 0%. 

That's all based on a 16 game season. Conservatively add a point (which is likely more than fair) if you'd like.

So really, Miami is a must win given a win over the Ravens isn't likely. Heck, we're dogs to Miami.

Exactly because of the extra game, I think there's still a shot at the playoffs, the OL and the DB's need to play better and the offense has to be better in the red zone. I also think the defense & OL has looked a little SOFT early this year! Better in the 2nd half against Tenn though. I think the team has to win both of the next games to have a shot at the playoffs. I figured Colts go 3-2 in the first 5 games if you are 2-3 only a game off that pace ok, but you gotta start winning some games now!!

1 hour ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It seems the football Gods have decreed that Wentz be under a magnifying glass and criticized or question every move he makes or doesn't make. This while having horrible protection and playing hurt because his backups give the team zero chance of winning if they played instead. 

Obviously they are all being scrutinized at this point.   Wentz is the one with the least amount of blame at this point.    We will see how it plays out

14 minutes ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

Exactly because of the extra game, I think there's still a shot at the playoffs, the OL and the DB's need to play better and the offense has to be better in the red zone. I also think the defense & OL has looked a little SOFT early this year! Better in the 2nd half against Tenn though. I think the team has to win both of the next games to have a shot at the playoffs. I figured Colts go 3-2 in the first 5 games if you are 2-3 only a game off that pace ok, but you gotta start winning some games now!!

We have winnable games coming up, but got to win this week. Can't lose any games like Miami, Houston, Jax, or Jets this year. No room for bad losses at all. 

12 hours ago, Horse Shoe Heaven said:

PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS? YOU KIDDING ME WE'D BE LUCKY TO WIN A GAME. 

13 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Yep, three games in the season and Wentz is being made the eventual scapegoat. 

The guy who had zero preseason and has showed he’ll play hurt and IMO isn’t the problem. Sad

18 hours ago, stitches said:

Wentz needs constant coaching with his mechanics because he has tendency to lose his mechanics, tendency to overstride, which leads to scattershot throws.

Mechanics start with footwork. Wentz had a foot surgery during camp, and now has two busted ankles. It's completely undermined his mechanics, which sucks. Even before the ankles, we've seen plenty of throws under pressure where he doesn't use his feet properly, his bottom half is out of sync with his top, etc., which has led to missed throws. Hopefully he continues to tune himself up as the season goes on, but these injuries aren't helping.

Unlike last season, he's been careful with the ball, not taking as many chances. Last year through three games he had six interceptions, on pace for 32 for the season. This year, he's on pace for six (probably not a sustainable pace, but obviously much better), and the one pick he has wasn't his fault. He's also holding the ball too long at times, so this isn't entirely great news. He needs to be more decisive. Better play calling would help.

Using rewind I actually timed his releases in the TN game. Removing the spikes under pressure, they averaged 3 seconds with a couple in the 4-5 second range. You can't expect an OL to hold up that long as a matter of course.

As for the mechanics, i.e., the top and bottom halves not in sync, and not planting and relying on arm strength, isn't that supposedly one of JE's issue?

I don’t give Wentz a pass just because the line is struggling.  If Wentz had just been a little sharper on 3rd downs and in the red zone, this team could be easily 3-0 despite the injuries and subpar play.  He’s gotta become a better game manager.  He’s injured. We don’t need him to be Superman.  Just be clutch when it’s needed most.  The throws have been there.  

17 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I don’t give Wentz a pass just because the line is struggling.  If Wentz had just been a little sharper on 3rd downs and in the red zone, this team could be easily 3-0 despite the injuries and subpar play.  He’s gotta become a better game manager.  He’s injured. We don’t need him to be Superman.  Just be clutch when it’s needed most.  The throws have been there.  

His misses are high and a little off target.
 The guy is throwing some beautiful stuff too, but you have to lead your receivers and keep the ball down a lot to be successful.

1 hour ago, FRW said:

Using rewind I actually timed his releases in the TN game. Removing the spikes under pressure, they averaged 3 seconds with a couple in the 4-5 second range. You can't expect an OL to hold up that long as a matter of course.

As for the mechanics, i.e., the top and bottom halves not in sync, and not planting and relying on arm strength, isn't that supposedly one of JE's issue?

His Time to throw was actually 2.7 which is league average.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/9/27/22695918/carson-wentz-stat-tracker-week-3

9 hours ago, Zoltan said:

His Time to throw was actually 2.7 which is league average.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/9/27/22695918/carson-wentz-stat-tracker-week-3

I like that data and everything, just find it lazy that they go through so much trouble getting detail on Wentz, but fail to mention some other key context items like...

• has had a new starting OL lineup every week
  • is only a few pts off being the most pressured (%) QB in the league, and is the most hit QB in the league
  • His under pressure % is 3pts higher than it was last year in Philly, yet his performance grades are better comparatively
  • His low IAY last week was pretty obvious a function of play calling 

Archived