Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed

JediXMan

Unless I am missing something, but according to PFF Glowisnki is currently ranked as a Top-5 Guard.  If so would be very hard to replace him in FA or the Draft.  Right now seems our weakest OL is our Center and Kelly should only get better grades once Nelson is healthy.  Bottom line for me is the Colts should retain Glowinski for the rest of his career.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Unless I am missing something, but according to PFF Glowisnki is currently ranked as a Top-5 Guard.  If so would be very hard to replace him in FA or the Draft.  Right now seems our weakest OL is our Center and Kelly should only get better grades once Nelson is healthy.  Bottom line for me is the Colts should retain Glowinski for the rest of his career.

Good example of why PFF isn't always the God of stats. I say that because I haven't seen 1 person post in here that he has played great, top 5 is great. By the eye test he has been average at best IMO. 

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Good example of why PFF isn't always the God of stats. I say that because I haven't seen 1 person post in here that he has played great, top 5 is great. By the eye test he has been average at best IMO. 

I see the error of my ways now.  The PFF list isn't exactly in order from best to worst but is all mixed.  Have to click on each player to open and expand to see better stat ranking and yes a lot of my initial assessments are way off.

I yield the floor...

I see the error of my ways now.  The PFF list isn't exactly in order from best to worst but is all mixed.  Have to click on each player to open and expand to see better stat ranking and yes a lot of my initial assessments are way off.

I yield the floor...

Does PFF actually rank him Top 5, I really don't know. I was just really joking. If they do that is odd because there has been times where he has been ran over.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Does PFF actually rank him Top 5, I really don't know. I was just really joking. If they do that is odd because there has been times where he has been ran over.

List I saw had 1, 2, 3 and Glowinski down two more spot so naturally I assumed he was 5th until you actually clicked on each individual's names to load more detailed information can see how badly he has played this season. 

Hopefully we have his replacement already on the roster because haven't been able to find an expiring contract nor many options in the draft other than potentially RG/C Ben Brown from Ole Miss.  Brown is a Team Captain and very reliable making his 37th or 38th consecutive start now.  In Week 2 Brown recorded a grade of 76.8 while the entire team's OL ranked 3rd FBS.

33 minutes ago, Andrew_Luck said:

Him playing well makes me feel more optimistic with moving forward next season once Glowinski moves on. I feel Reed or Pinter will fill in at RG.

Do like Pinter as well but wouldn't mind targeting upcoming FA's RG Wyatt Teller (Browns) or RG Austin Corbett (Rams).  Both guards are on teams with limited available cap space as it stands now and are playing at a much higher level after the past three weeks. 

Either one would seem to solve one problem on our OL but still leaves me wondering about our LT long-term.  Hoping to see what Tevi could provide but it looks more and more likely that we draft a LT.

The future LT needs to be addressed early in the 2022 NFL Draft or in free agency. I would love to have Fisher come back for one more year and be a mentor. I'm all for drafting or signing more offensive linemen, but I have a feeling the initial plan is to have Pinter start at RG in 2022. Of course injuries and surprise retirements always come into play, but either way, the tackle spot is one of this teams biggest priorities.

On 9/29/2021 at 11:09 PM, OhioColt said:

I yield the floor...

Yeah man Glow has a pff grade this year of 43.  That’s pretty much as bad as it gets.

3 hours ago, Nickster said:

Yeah man Glow has a pff grade this year of 43.  That’s pretty much as bad as it gets.

Hopefully we can acquire either RG Wyatt Teller (Browns) or RG Austin Corbett (Rams) in FA.  Both have been playing really well to start the season.  After the Stafford trade the Rams might not be able afford to resign Corbett.

2 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Hopefully we can acquire either RG Wyatt Teller (Browns) or RG Austin Corbett (Rams) in FA.  Both have been playing really well to start the season.  After the Stafford trade the Rams might not be able afford to resign Corbett.

We can't afford any more OLINE money man.  Not with Nelson coming due.  Reed might be good enough. 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:19 PM, Nickster said:

We can't afford any more OLINE money man.  Not with Nelson coming due.  Reed might be good enough. 

Probably so but am kind of expecting it to be a wash on cap space either person could potential target with Teller or Corbett.  However I can see a team ponying up a 4-year deal worth 11m-12m APY.  Before Nelson went on IR even considered trading Nelson to the Packers to secure their young Elgton Jenkins to start as our LT and have Reed as our new starting LG.

12 hours ago, OhioColt said:

Probably so but am kind of expecting it to be a wash on cap space either person could potential target with Teller or Corbett.  However I can see a team ponying up a 4-year deal worth 11m-12m APY.  Before Nelson went on IR even considered trading Nelson to the Packers to secure their young Elgton Jenkins to start as our LT and have Reed as our new starting LG.

I'd trade Nelson for a decent 1st rounder.  His contract is going to really hurt the teams' chances IMO. 

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

I'd trade Nelson for a decent 1st rounder.  His contract is going to really hurt the teams' chances IMO. 

Wow!    If you post this thought a thousand or more times, you might someday get close to Moosejaw who is in a league of his own on this subject!   

On 10/1/2021 at 7:06 AM, OhioColt said:

Both of those will be way, way too expensive. Poster @DougDew has the answer in a post in this thread.  

On 10/1/2021 at 12:50 AM, BillCoslosky24 said:

The future LT needs to be addressed early in the 2022 NFL Draft or in free agency. I would love to have Fisher come back for one more year and be a mentor. I'm all for drafting or signing more offensive linemen, but I have a feeling the initial plan is to have Pinter start at RG in 2022. Of course injuries and surprise retirements always come into play, but either way, the tackle spot is one of this teams biggest priorities.

We’re highly unlikely to have a first round pick next year.    And if we couldn’t find a quality left tackle with our second pick this past draft we’re likely not going to find a OT in the 2022 draft.    I’m not sure why you won’t think our future LT won’t be Fisher.    We didn’t sign him to be our guy for one year.   We want to re-sign him.   And barring injury, we will. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Wow!    If you post this thought a thousand or more times, you might someday get close to Moosejaw who is in a league of his own on this subject!   

It's not that guy isn't great he is, but if you look at our running game since he left, it's actually been better Reed came in.  I don't think Nelson's absence causes that, but I do think it shows what is pretty obvious.  LG is a position that can be manned by an average NFL G and you will not see a huge loss in effectiveness.  Now tackle on the other hand, we have had good players go out and the results are near disastrous.  

Nelson is a stud and I like him a lot, but it just doesn't seem that he adds much enough value to be paid like a LT.  Not at all.  No way.  NO how.  Nope.   

People like to cite that he transformed the line from terrible to good.  He had a part in it.  But we also added Smith and Glow.  He didn't singlehandedly improve this from the LG position as the narrative goes.  We added a great player, a very good player, and an adequate player to replace 3 incompetent players. This to go along with an already very good LT and  very good C.  

And then we have the back issue.

If I could get a 1st rounder that I thought would be a top 15 or so pick I'd do it in a heartbeat.  When Nelson gets paid like a LT his added value to the team plummets IMO.  

On 10/5/2021 at 12:30 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Both of those will be way, way too expensive. Poster @DougDew has the answer in a post in this thread.  

Guess will need to find Doug's thread but my initial asset and target would be RG Austin Corbett with a 4-year deal around $40 million which isn't much more than what Glowinski is making now ~$2.5 million more-ish.

Guess will need to find Doug's thread but my initial asset and target would be RG Austin Corbett with a 4-year deal around $40 million which isn't much more than what Glowinski is making now ~$2.5 million more-ish.

I think we no longer wish to spend big on all five OL.    And we can do that if Reed replaces Glow.    Of course, this is my gut feeling and not based on any specific comment or move we’ve made.   

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think we no longer wish to spend big on all five OL.    And we can do that if Reed replaces Glow.    Of course, this is my gut feeling and not based on any specific comment or move we’ve made.   

Unfortunately, we are not the only Club having issues fielding a healthy to competent offensive line.  Think the sad reality is colleges are not full preparing lineman for the NFL the way they used to do.  At the end of the season a lot of teams will be shopping for upgrades and looking to the draft including the Colts.  Problem with the Colts we have too many other areas of need and will more likely target depth OL later in the draft.  OT Max Mitchell (Louisiana Laffayette), RG/C Ben Brown (Ole Miss), or LG/C Mike Caliendo are currently on my watch list.

Outside of our Center Ryan Kelly and RT Braden Smith do we have a solid starters.  LG Chris Reed proving himself as a potential starting replacement for Nelson.  Finding a trade partner for a future LT and taking over their contract on a cheap is an option allowing us to sign someone like RG Corbet would still keep our OL salary cap within limits.

48 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

Unfortunately, we are not the only Club having issues fielding a healthy to competent offensive line.  Think the sad reality is colleges are not full preparing lineman for the NFL the way they used to do.  At the end of the season a lot of teams will be shopping for upgrades and looking to the draft including the Colts.  Problem with the Colts we have too many other areas of need and will more likely target depth OL later in the draft.  OT Max Mitchell (Louisiana Laffayette), RG/C Ben Brown (Ole Miss), or LG/C Mike Caliendo are currently on my watch list.

Outside of our Center Ryan Kelly and RT Braden Smith do we have a solid starters.  LG Chris Reed proving himself as a potential starting replacement for Nelson.  Finding a trade partner for a future LT and taking over their contract on a cheap is an option allowing us to sign someone like RG Corbet would still keep our OL salary cap within limits.

A different perspective…..

I believe next season our starting OL will be …

Fisher.   Nelson.   Kelly.   Reed.  Smith.  

I think guys like Pinter, Davenport, Pryor will be the primary backups.   I think we’ll shop for more veteran depth on the FA market.   I don’t see us using good draft picks on rookies who are unlikely to be able to contribute in their first season. 

I think our draft would possibly be Corner, TE,  WR with our 2, 3 and 4.   That would leave our 5 for an OL,  but I’m not sure I see us spending higher than that on a rookie OL. 

Clearly I’m only spit balling for now.   We’re going to have money for Fisher and Nelson, so I don’t see major changes up front,  just RG. 

Obviously hoping that by the time we reach mid-season we have a better feel for how the season looks and how key players are progressing….    Or not.      :peek:

On 10/5/2021 at 12:36 PM, Nickster said:

It's not that guy isn't great he is, but if you look at our running game since he left, it's actually been better Reed came in.  I don't think Nelson's absence causes that, but I do think it shows what is pretty obvious.  LG is a position that can be manned by an average NFL G and you will not see a huge loss in effectiveness.  Now tackle on the other hand, we have had good players go out and the results are near disastrous.  

Nelson is a stud and I like him a lot, but it just doesn't seem that he adds much enough value to be paid like a LT.  Not at all.  No way.  NO how.  Nope.   

People like to cite that he transformed the line from terrible to good.  He had a part in it.  But we also added Smith and Glow.  He didn't singlehandedly improve this from the LG position as the narrative goes.  We added a great player, a very good player, and an adequate player to replace 3 incompetent players. This to go along with an already very good LT and  very good C.  

I don't disagree with this as a concept.  Yes, When we added Nelson, we added two other good players too.  So for people to attribute our highly ranked oline on the appearance of an elite LG is cherry picking the facts, IMO.

Yes, the oline plays much better depending upon the quality of the LT.  That position and RT seems to impact our o line more...duh, to some of us.

But, I don't think that you can say that because the oline performed well vs MIA, that Nelson's presence is replaceable.  Is a healthy Reed just as good or better than a naggingly injured Nelson?  Probably.  But that's not a fair comparison, IMO, to say that we could replace Nelson and not have a drop off in oline play.

You said not a HUGE dropoff in the play of the entire oline.  I tend to agree, but seeing what we saw in MIA is not a good sample with which to use as evidence of that, IMO.  And how HUGE is huge?

I assume that Reed is destined to take over for Glow or be the first backup, depending upon his contract demands this spring.

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think guys like Pinter, Davenport, Pryor will be the primary backups.   I think we’ll shop for more veteran depth on the FA market.   I don’t see us using good draft picks on rookies who are unlikely to be able to contribute in their first season. 

I think our draft would possibly be Corner, TE,  WR with our 2, 3 and 4.   That would leave our 5 for an OL,  but I’m not sure I see us spending higher than that on a rookie OL. 

Clearly I’m only spit balling for now.   We’re going to have money for Fisher and Nelson, so I don’t see major changes up front,  just RG. 

Obviously hoping that by the time we reach mid-season we have a better feel for how the season looks and how key players are progressing….    Or not.      :peek:

I could see Ballard trading down in the second to pick up another 3rd (which is doable depending upon how high the 2nd is).  Along with the comp picks we get for Autry and Walker (4th an 5th?...or just a 4th for both?) we could then have a low 2nd, two 3rds and two 4ths (or 2 fifths depending upon comp pick).

We need zone corner. zone safety, ILB, and TE, which are positions where good talent can be found in those rounds.  We won't be in position to get a #1WR or LT (if needed), but the other positions needing upgrade can be gotten even though we may be giving up a fairly high 1 for Wentz.

2 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

I don’t want a drafted corner. I want him to spend the money in FA and go get a good young  corner. I don’t trust any corners he drafts right now unless we had a good first round pick. I would use my highest pick on a WR. Offenses win in this league.

I would not be surprised to see Ballard do both. 

Draft a corner, and sign a FA corner.   

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I don't disagree with this as a concept.  Yes, When we added Nelson, we added two other good players too.  So for people to attribute our highly ranked oline on the appearance of an elite LG is cherry picking the facts, IMO.

Yes, the oline plays much better depending upon the quality of the LT.  That position and RT seems to impact our o line more...duh, to some of us.

But, I don't think that you can say that because the oline performed well vs MIA, that Nelson's presence is replaceable.  Is a healthy Reed just as good or better than a naggingly injured Nelson?  Probably.  But that's not a fair comparison, IMO, to say that we could replace Nelson and not have a drop off in oline play.

You said not a HUGE dropoff in the play of the entire oline.  I tend to agree, but seeing what we saw in MIA is not a good sample with which to use as evidence of that, IMO.  And how HUGE is huge?

I assume that Reed is destined to take over for Glow or be the first backup, depending upon his contract demands this spring.

I said I don’t think Nelson’s absence causes the better rushing.  We are better with Nelson no doubt.   At his current salary. I don’t think we are better off org wise when he gets LT money.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I would not be surprised to see Ballard do both. 

Draft a corner, and sign a FA corner.   

Agree. An upgrade is clearly needed there. CB has become the Achilles heel position for the Colts. And they could sure use a true FS. 

16 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Agree. An upgrade is clearly needed there. CB has become the Achilles heel position for the Colts. And they could sure use a true FS. 

I think Ballard is still very high on Blackman.  I don’t see him making a change after two years.    That’s not his way to move on so quickly.    Turay, Lewis, Banogu, Wilson.   He’ll give young players three years to show what they can do…. 

2 hours ago, Nickster said:

I said I don’t think Nelson’s absence causes the better rushing.  We are better with Nelson no doubt.   At his current salary. I don’t think we are better off org wise when he gets LT money.

There is a term in economics to explain the concept.  I think its called "The point of diminishing returns."  The beneficial impact of adding dollars sort of peaks, and the amount of dollars you add after the peak has little impact relative to the same level of dollars added before the peak.

On 10/5/2021 at 10:45 AM, DougDew said:

Reed, Pinter, Fries, or a drafted rookie will take over for Glow next year, IMO. 

Yes definitely, the next replacement on the OL needs to be on the their first contract. The team is in real need of a true longterm #1 WR and  # 1 Cornerback

13 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Unless Fisher REALLY comes around there's no way he's back. We might as well keep Davenport, he's on the same level. 

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think Ballard is still very high on Blackman.  I don’t see him making a change after two years.    That’s not his way to move on so quickly.    Turay, Lewis, Banogu, Wilson.   He’ll give young players three years to show what they can do…. 

Honestly, I could see Blackman at SS. And Willis on the bench. 

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Unless Fisher REALLY comes around there's no way he's back. We might as well keep Davenport, he's on the same level. 

Classic fan response.   Decide after FOUR  WEEKS of an 18 game season.  

Fans do this.   Good general managers do not.    We could’ve had Leno.   We wanted Fisher.    He’ll get better over the course if the season and he’ll be even better next year.   The long view is how things like this are often handled. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 5:43 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Classic fan response.   Decide after FOUR  WEEKS of an 18 game season.  

Fans do this.   Good general managers do not.    We could’ve had Leno.   We wanted Fisher.    He’ll get better over the course if the season and he’ll be even better next year.   The long view is how things like this are often handled. 

No, it's watching him get destroyed when ever he's in there, which means our QB, RB and play gets destroyed. Putting in Davenport is lounge and cheek, I have no idea why he's still here. But Fisher is getting paid like a dominate OT, he's barely a speedbump.

20 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

No, it's watching him get destroyed when ever he's in there, which means our QB, RB and play gets destroyed. Putting in Davenport is lounge and cheek, I have no idea why he's still here. But Fisher is getting paid like a dominate OT, he's barely a speedbump.

Because without Davenport they would only have three tackles on the roster and one of them is injured and not playing.  I doubt the Colts are hiding someone better than Davenport on their PS so he’s the best of what they have depth wise.  

58 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

First, pay is mostly irrelevant.   And he’s NOT getting paid like a dominant LT.   If he plays the whole year, I think he makes about $7 mill.   That’s a long way from dominant money.   Castonzo was making about $16 mill.   That’s dominant money.  Coming off a terrible injury Fisher wasn’t going to get dominant money from anyone, especially the Colts.  

And he’s struggling because he came back fast to help the team.   There’s no reason to think he won’t get better as the season goes on.   We just have to hope he gets better sooner. 

Archived