Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Reed

JediXMan

3 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

He looked pretty good filling in for Nelson. Maybe when Nelson gets healthy he can take Glow spot on the OL. 

That’s what I was gonna say. I think glow is gone next year so maybe reed takes over full time on the right next year

• Like 3

We actually ran the ball better when this dude came in.  Correlation doesn't equal causation, but the fact of the matter is we ran better, which suggests that the dude can run block and maybe should take Glow's spot after Nelson returns considering how bad Glow has been and he's been really bad so far.

Now no we aren't going to be fine without Nelson. That's just dumb. 

To some degree Chris Reed is exactly the problem we have with our team building. He's a million miles behind Nelson in pure talent terms but could he competently play left guard for 20% of the price? Absolutely.  We would barely even notice the difference on 90% of snaps.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, GoHorse1992 said:

I’m all for Reed replacing Glow once Nelson comes back. Glow has sadly regressed this year and doesn’t even have an injury excuse to fall back on. Chris Reed may have been the best move from a value perspective this offseason. 

Not having smith on that side probably hurts him even more.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Perfectly fine filling in for Nelson?  He came to the NFL as an UDFA.  No way can he fill in for Nelson.  Glow maybe, but not Nelson.   How can anybody think that a UDFA could fill in for pick #6 Nelson?  

It goes back to is a guard that important to the success of a team to pay him what we are going to pay him. And also goes to is a guard worth taking at 6? You do have to look at whether building a roster and paying a guard that much is worth it. Could you go get a DE for that much money instead. One could argue a DE is more important then a guard.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It goes back to is a guard that important to the success of a team to pay him what we are going to pay him. And also goes to is a guard worth taking at 6? You do have to look at whether building a roster and paying a guard that much is worth it. Could you go get a DE for that much money instead. One could argue a DE is more important then a guard.

I hope that Reed does well and that the oline plays well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonColt said:

To some degree Chris Reed is exactly the problem we have with our team building. He's a million miles behind Nelson in pure talent terms but could he competently play left guard for 20% of the price? Absolutely.  We would barely even notice the difference on 90% of snaps.

We might need to have a top 10 LT and a healthy C, but that's okay.

I was pleased with the signing, as I was surprised that he was available so late in Free Agency, and he is a solid player.  For those who want him to eventually take over for Glow, he would have to re-sign after the season, as he is a Free Agent after this year.

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

I agree with your point of view. I don't think Nelson is bad. But NO WAY is he worth the kind of money it is gonna take to resign him. A skill player or a DE just has more impact on the game with the way the rules are currently set.

When you replace a so called "generational talent" with a udfa and you don't really notice much of a difference.....that's a problem! Plus Nelson has a bad back. And those don't just go away. Last thing the Colts need is another high priced player who is a shell of himself due to injury. Lame "100 million" Darius already has that role covered up. (Relax old heads who are ok with losing every year, aka @jvan1973.... I said lame as in hurt) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Perfectly fine filling in for Nelson?  He came to the NFL as an UDFA.  No way can he fill in for Nelson.  Glow maybe, but not Nelson.   How can anybody think that a UDFA could fill in for pick #6 Nelson?  

Maybe the same way a 6th round pick became arguably  the  best QB of all time.

How could a 6th round pick (Brady) EVER fill in for a “blue chip” Bledsoe?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We drafted Nelson that high, because we had Andrew Luck...who had been beaten to a pulp so far in his career at that point...and we wanted to make it a priority to protect him so that he could play another 10 years... Luck, like so many QBs, mask the many other holes on a team, by the huge difference that they make...

Nelson is one of my favorite players on the team and is the best OG in the NFL... but had we not already had Luck, we would have most definitely not used that pick on a OG...    I love Nelson and i love Leonard... and to an extent, you have to show that you're willing to pay your own guys... but do we really want $40-$50 million locked up in a OG and WLB?   I know we already paid Leonard...and we will probably make Nelson the highest paid offensive lineman in NFL history... but i cant help but think how much Luck being here at the time, changed our decision making.

How would we have drafted differently, if we knew he was retiring and we had Jacoby as our QB1 at that time...  We have had a major need for a top playmaking WR for a while and we have had just as much a need for pass rushers...   i know with $40-$50 million, we could fill those holes...and how much worse would we be, if we had a top 15 o line instead of top 5 (which we arent playing like, this year, anyhow)...

At least the salary cap will be going up in a major way, over the next few years.

It will be interesting to see how the left side does without Q.  We may see if there is enuff difference in play to warrant a 20 millionish contract for Q.

Q is a stud, no question, but a $20 million pass rusher, cb, or wr may make a bigger impact on the team.

• Like 3

I think there is a large group who think we are going to sign Nelson and make him the highest paid guard or maybe lineman next year.  Folks need to slow down.  Long way to go with a possible tag in play as well.  His back is unfortunately a big red flag.

• Like 2

I always felt Chris was signed to replace Glow next season and if Glow struggled this season. He has improved every single season in the league and started 14 games last season, he could start many places but signed with us for the opportunity to play with our O line when the time arose and that time has come.

• Like 2

I think the conversation of replacing Q at guard because of cost effectiveness is fair. 20 mil for a guard is a crazy amount. I think the conversation of getting rid of Q is ridiculous. He is the best at what he does and deserves every penny. This is where we should be bringing up the conversation, once again, of moving big Q to tackle. We can then move Smith back to his original spot on the line. Imagine an oline combo of:

Fisher, Reed(or FA or draftee), Kelly, Smith, Nelson

Or for the price we will pay for Nelson will be steep for a RT as well. I wonder if Fisher would be down to swap sides.

Nelson, Reed, Kelly, Smith, Fisher 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ratking said:

I agree with your point of view. I don't think Nelson is bad. But NO WAY is he worth the kind of money it is gonna take to resign him. A skill player or a DE just has more impact on the game with the way the rules are currently set.

When you replace a so called "generational talent" with a udfa and you don't really notice much of a difference.....that's a problem! Plus Nelson has a bad back. And those don't just go away. Last thing the Colts need is another high priced player who is a shell of himself due to injury. Lame "100 million" Darius already has that role covered up. (Relax old heads who are ok with losing every year, aka @jvan1973.... I said lame as in hurt) 

this is the key to most of these discussions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bsteves said:

I think the conversation of replacing Q at guard because of cost effectiveness is fair. 20 mil for a guard is a crazy amount. I think the conversation of getting rid of Q is ridiculous. He is the best at what he does and deserves every penny. This is where we should be bringing up the conversation, once again, of moving big Q to tackle. We can then move Smith back to his original spot on the line. Imagine an oline combo of:

Or for the price we will pay for Nelson will be steep for a RT as well. I wonder if Fisher would be down to swap sides.

In theory, this looks great. But when asked about moving to tackle, Q has never seemed overly enthused. I get getting value for the pay he will get but you also don’t want a top player to turn sour toward the team. Maybe….and just throwing this out there….we can trade Q for at least a first round pick(and probably more) to re-coup the one we may lose to the Eagles…

2 hours ago, Ratking said:

I'm not ok about losing.   I just don't mess my pants about something I have no control over.   I have better more important things to worry about.   I don't second guess professionals doing their jobs.    I've been a fan since the mayflower trucks rolled into town.   I know ranting about things as a fan will have zero impact on what Jim Irsay wants to do.   Ultimately, for better or worse,  his opinion is the only one that matters. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

It will be interesting to see how the left side does without Q.  We may see if there is enuff difference in play to warrant a 20 millionish contract for Q.

Q is a stud, no question, but a $20 million pass rusher, cb, or wr may make a bigger impact on the team.

That is why we should have moved Q to left tackle.

I doubt anybody want to see him leave so push come to shove it might come down to this.   I'm curious though, when Guards move to Tackle in the NFL are they just as good as they were at their original position?  How about personally, do the former guards usually hate being their team's new LT/RT? or are they usually indifferent to being their teams RT/LT after they've played and spent some time at that position?  And why do you think that might be so?  Anybody know of any precedents of guys who switched positions in the league?

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm not ok about losing.   I just don't mess my pants about something I have no control over.   I have better more important things to worry about.   I don't second guess professionals doing their jobs.    I've been a fan since the mayflower trucks rolled into town.   I know ranting about things as a fan will have zero impact on what Jim Irsay wants to do.   Ultimately, for better or worse,  his opinion is the only one that matters. 

In all seriousness, I just like to troll.

I appreciate your educated opinion and posts (and the other mega posters like wentszen), and base my opinion around it. Just low class sarcasm here. 

1 minute ago, Ratking said:

In all seriousness, I just like to troll.

I appreciate your educated opinion and posts (and the other mega posters like wentszen), and base my opinion around it. Just low class sarcasm here.

I really do worry that Nelson is good, but with the way the league is setup now not as vital as a skill player or two for the same money. 

And I think Darius may be spent.... 

5 hours ago, bsteves said:

I would really like this lineup

8 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Look, I’m the biggest Nelson fan, but I was thinking about this today.  If we just had a good o-line, not elite, and had better talent else where (DE, safety,LB), we might be in a better spot. Of course I’m just an armchair GM, but the thought has crossed my mind.

58 minutes ago, Boss7894 said:

I doubt anybody want to see him leave so push come to shove it might come down to this.   I'm curious though, when Guards move to Tackle in the NFL are they just as good as they were at their original position?  How about personally, do the former guards usually hate being their team's new LT/RT? or are they usually indifferent to being their teams RT/LT after they've played and spent some time at that position?  And why do you think that might be so?  Anybody know of any precedents of guys who switched positions in the league?

Braden Smith, from Guard to Tackle.

• Like 1