Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack and Colts mutually agree to seek trade (Merge)

JediXMan

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He popped his ACL, just because it's technically healed doesn't mean Mack is the same runner yet- if anything, if he's going to be the same guy again, it probably happens next year (generic timeline that's been observed). For his sake, given that his injury really did cost him more cash than most of us can even begin to imagine- lets hope he gets it back, but I'm sorta confused why we're missing this part of the story.

I don't see this as a terribly relevant part of the Colts mellow drama right now. Get a pick, let him walk, give him carries- the macro situation isn't changing. 

He tore his Achilles not his ACL.

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, The Fish said:

He popped his ACL, just because it's technically healed doesn't mean Mack is the same runner yet- if anything, if he's going to be the same guy again, it probably happens next year (generic timeline that's been observed). For his sake, given that his injury really did cost him more cash than most of us can even begin to imagine- lets hope he gets it back, but I'm sorta confused why we're missing this part of the story.

I don't see this as a terribly relevant part of the Colts mellow drama right now. Get a pick, let him walk, give him carries- the macro situation isn't changing. 

is our drama right now really all that mellow?

:banana:

6 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Been bothered by this.  I really like Mack.  He played well when healthy, and was a team guy when we brought in Taylor.  
  I guess it comes down to the facts.  Taylor is #1 and not going anywhere.  NH just got paid and makes things happen.  I guess it makes sense that Mack and Wilkins wont be here after this year.  Mack should get a better offer than we can justify and some team may value Wilkins.  We just cant spend there.  What worries me is if JT goes down for a little, i’m not as enthused about Hines and Wilkins.

I understand the other factors, but its money “spent” and we have some serious depth.  With the injuries at WR and OL, and a hobbled QB, i’d think that is pretty darn important.

Ask NE how they feel about trading a RB (similar situation) a week after they did it.

Now, if someone is deep at CB, and has one that can help us, then i’m all for that.  But a 6th rd pick to lose that depth at possibly your biggest position of strength, at a position you really need to count on?  
  It just feels like a bad move.

(and i get Mack may wanna leave, but he’s signed, and the Colts had his back thru injuries.  He’ll get paid soon enuff.)

I would much rather trade Mack for a player than a late pick.  We have issues at CB and a few other positions where that player could help us this year and maybe going forward.  Sometimes players don’t fit their current teams systems.  Coaches are moving around all the time.  There are a lot of good reasons where a change of scenery could be the answer for a lot of players.  I would prefer that route first if at all possible.

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

I would much rather trade Mack for a player than a late pick.  We have issues at CB and a few other positions where that player could help us this year and maybe going forward.  Sometimes players don’t fit their current teams systems.  Coaches are moving around all the time.  There are a lot of good reasons where a change of scenery could be the answer for a lot of players.  I would prefer that route first if at all possible.

I think i would too.  I must value 6th rd picks less than some.

Also, Mack is certainly starter material , so i would think a player capable of seeing the field is warranted i think.  Not some scrub.

Looks like Mack was a healthy scratch on Sunday and that is what led to the trade request. He wanted to contribute to the team but was not given the opportunity. Mack talked to the team about being traded after Sunday.

I initially thought they had spoken with Mack and he requested a trade, and that's why they sat him on Sunday, to preserve his health. Turns out, that was not the case.

3 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Looks like Mack was a healthy scratch on Sunday and that is what led to the trade request. He wanted to contribute to the team but was not given the opportunity.

That's funny, because I wanted JT to contribute more than 10 touches on Sunday (And I'm sure JT did too), so he shouldn't have felt too bad... :grumpy2:

21 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Looks like Mack was a healthy scratch on Sunday and that is what led to the trade request. He wanted to contribute to the team but was not given the opportunity. Mack talked to the team about being traded after Sunday.

I initially thought they had spoken with Mack and he requested a trade, and that's why they sat him on Sunday, to preserve his health. Turns out, that was not the case.

I like that guy and will root for him wherever he goes.

honestly marlon leaving is sad.

i haven't felt that way about a colt in a while.

maybe we can trade all of our running backs and sign some practice squad elligibile backs since we don't run anyways. 

13 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

honestly marlon leaving is sad.

i haven't felt that way about a colt in a while.

maybe we can trade all of our running backs and sign some practice squad elligibile backs since we don't run anyways. 

I was watching player pressers today and they were talking about him and I cried. Never thought I would feel that way about a player. He is such a good human. Something about his soft spoken nature.

The logical trade partner is the Ravens.

They lost their #1 RB J.K. Dobbins in preseason.

Their leading rusher is their QB.

And they have a HUGE plethora of draft picks in 2022, including 2 third round picks and 5 fourth round picks.

I'm sure CB would like one of those 3rd's, but it would probably be a 4th.

2 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

And they have a HUGE plethora of draft picks in 2022, including 2 third round picks and 5 fourth round picks.

If we can get a 3rd out of Mack I would do that. I think we definitely can get a 5th.

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

I wonder if they would agree on a deal now but wait until after the Ravens game to complete it.

Just now, richard pallo said:

I wonder if they would agree on a deal now but wait until after the Ravens game to complete it.

If they're scared to face Mack, why is he not being used? What if we let Mack run the plays where hines goes up the middle? Bro im so confused. What is happening to this team. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we can get a 3rd out of Mack I would do that. I think we definitely can get a 5th.

Another possibility would be the Jaguars, who have 2 fifth round and 3 sixth round picks.

It's possible that Mack would love to go home, near to USF (go Bulls!), but probably couldn't get onto the Bucs.  Jags may have to do.

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

If they're scared to face Mack, why is he not being used? What if we let Mack run the plays where hines goes up the middle? Bro im so confused. What is happening to this team. 

They don’t want to lose to the Ravens.  He could help them. They would be stronger with him.  No need to do that.

Just now, richard pallo said:

They don’t want to lose to the Ravens.  He could help them. They would be stronger with him.  No need to do that.

We aren't beating the ravens either way. Unless we change our offense considerably. 

How many times did we run last week? 

I already posted this suggestion in another thread but would improve our team.

Marlon Mack is already asking to be traded and I would target the Falcons and make a trade for RCB Isaiah Oliver who after 3 Weeks has already proven he is ready for a contract extension.  

Outside of RYS our DBs have really stunk this year.  We got two older, injured players in Carrier and Rhodes that need to be replaced in the near future.  After 3 Weeks Oliver is having a solid showing and the Falcons need a starting caliber RB like Mack.

Hopefully our front office can make this happen but really hate to see Mack go.

11 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why can't we just run the ball more and use him? 

If they wanted to make it work they could. We had the same rotation last year if Mack didnt get hurt. 15 carries for Taylor and everybody else 10 or so.  Those numbers can vary based on the hot hand. They are all unselfish guys so i dont see what the problem is. Im not buying the Wilkins plays special teams excuse bc again we had this same lineup last year. Played out just fine against the Jags. They all were getting carries up until Mack got hurt. For some reason now they all of a sudden dont know how to spread the love. If the return isnt going to be very much and it likely isnt, then there is much more upside in keeping him. Hes going to be gone next year regardless. Might as well use him.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

If they wanted to make it work they could. We had the same rotation last year if Mack didnt get hurt. 15 carries for Taylor and everybody else 10 or so.  Those numbers can vary based on the hot hand. They are all unselfish guys so i dont see what the problem is. Im not buying the Wilkins plays special teams excuse bc again we had this same lineup last year. Played out just fine against the Jags. They all were getting carries up until Mack got hurt. For some reason now they all of a sudden dont know how to spread the love. If the return isnt going to be very much and it likely isnt, then there is much more upside in keeping him. Hes going to be gone next year regardless. Might as well use him.

I agree with this. Why not just let the dude get his snaps. Longest season in the history of NFL. 

Like I have said multiple times, if Taylor gets injured, and Mack is successful somewhere else, there is going to be a flash mob for Ballard. 

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Maybe they don’t want to look bad if it turns out to be better than the guy they drafted so high and the guy we paid 10 mill to?  Asking for a friend.  He said Marlon was a top tier pass protector too.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

Except Taylor was a rookie. So bringing him on slowly was always the plan. Not have him the starter game 2. 

19 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Maybe they don’t want to look bad if it turns out to be better than the guy they drafted so high and the guy we paid 10 mill to?  Asking for a friend.  He said Marlon was a top tier pass protector too.

I detect no lies! Corect

8 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Except Taylor was a rookie. So bringing him on slowly was always the plan. Not have him the starter game 2. 

Is he Bo Jackson now? Michael Turner was in a time share for years. I dont think Taylor is any better than Turner. They can let him take over next year. Did they not see this coming?  What was the point in resigning Mack? Did they not have any clue as to how they wanted the rotation to work?

Not sure if they are afraid to look bad. 

I just think they are vested in their high draft pick, and simply were never going to spend on a high dollar extension for a RB.

Also Reich's view on JT/HInes being interchangeable (which I disagree with) likely plays into it. 

But yes, stupid to part with Mack if your concerned about JT's durability. Hines is not a bell cow. 

If we can get a 5th round pick though, I'd be happy.

16 minutes ago, krunk said:

Im just sayin take advantage of a luxury situation while youve got it. Let something actually be wrong with Taylors knee. Wouldnt you rather hand the keys to Mack and Hines instead of Wilkins and Hines?

Yup. We should absolutely be using Mack.

The median RB attempts per game in the NFL is around 25 (the average last year was 27ish) . We've had 26 vs Seattle, 21 vs the Rams, and only 16 vs the Titans.

No excuse at all for the TN play calling / game plan. TN has a very mediocre or even poor AVG allowed (4.3). Miami has the same. 

You'd think we'd actually have more than 25 against teams that are bottom half of the league in that area.

In a perfect world, JT 13-17, Mack 8-12, Hines 3-7 carries. But go with the hot hand that emerges.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. We should absolutely be using Mack.

The median RB attempts per game in the NFL is around 25 (the average last year was 27ish) . We've had 26 vs Seattle, 21 vs the Rams, and only 16 vs the Titans.

No excuse at all for the TN play calling / game plan. TN has a very mediocre or even poor AVG allowed (4.3). Miami has the same. 

You'd think we'd actually have more than 25 against teams that are bottom half of the league in that area.

In a perfect world, JT 13-17, Mack 8-12, Hines 3-7 carries. But go with the hot hand that emerges.

To me unless Frank is selling Wolf Tickets, is this not the same guy who came in the door talking about wanting to be a top 5 to top ten rushing team? If thats the case then honestly i think we could up it to 30 to 35 carries a game for the committee. I just think they are tripping and its going to bite them. Wilkins has already proven hes no lead back.

And Hines while being very good, hes still got some size limitations if you want him to carry a larger load.  Maybe they like what they are seeing from Jackson on the PS as a wildcard. I have no idea. Once again i think they should just take advantage of a luxury situation while theyve got it.

I dont expect them to get decent compensation for Mack. The perception is likely to be Hes coming off an Achilles and you havent played him much so how do i know if hes still got it?  How am i going to give you a fifth round pick for that?

1 minute ago, krunk said:

To me unless Frank is selling Wolf Tickets, is this not the same guy who came in the door talking about wanting to be a top 5 to top ten rushing team? If thats the case then honestly i think we could up it to 30 to 35 carries a game for the committee. I just think they are tripping and its going to bite them. Wilkins has already proven hes no lead back. And Hines while being very good, hes still got some size limitations if you want him to carry a larger loaf.

Yup. I really don't get it. Top 10 rushing teams (that Reich claims he wants to be) are not bottom half ranked in attempts per game. And our attempts per game are even skewed because of all the Wentz scrambles lol...

Frank has had some highly questionable games in this areas. Several of times we've been very pass heavy vs bad rush D teams. Ironically, we did that vs Miami a few years ago with Hoyer... I'll never understand it.

Full disclosure, I don't want to be overly one way or another... just good balance. But 25-30 rushes is about the norm.

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. I really don't get it. Top 10 rushing teams (that Reich claims he wants to be) are not bottom half ranked in attempts per game. And our attempts per game are even skewed because of all the Wentz scrambles lol...

Frank has had some highly questionable games in this areas. Several of times we've been very pass heavy vs bad rush D teams. Ironically, we did that vs Miami a few years ago with Hoyer... I'll never understand it.

Full disclosure, I don't want to be overly one way or another... just good balance. But 25-30 rushes is about the norm.

Every game is different.   When you're behind it's tough to pound the rock.  This team needs to get the lead early and play good D.  We have done neither this season.   I'm more concerned with his red zone offense than the run/pads ratio

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Every game is different.   When you're behind it's tough to pound the rock.  This team needs to get the lead early and play good D.  We have done neither this season.   I'm more concerned with his red zone offense than the run/pads ratio

Last week the game was close. 

10-14 at half, 13-14 at the end of the 3rd.

Those are not scores that force you to abandon the run. Yet Taylor had only 10 rushes.

That's bad play calling and game planning. 

But yes, our RZ% sucks too lol. I'm concerned with that for sure, but for me, it's attributed to play calling too. 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:36 AM, dthss86 said:

I think we should trade for a quarterback but not many QBs are available for trade.  If the Colts trade for a draft pick,  we'll get something like a third or fourth round pick for him. By that time, the better quarterbacks will be taken. 

Wow

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure if they are afraid to look bad. 

I just think they are vested in their high draft pick, and simply were never going to spend on a high dollar extension for a RB.

Also Reich's view on JT/HInes being interchangeable (which I disagree with) likely plays into it. 

But yes, stupid to part with Mack if your concerned about JT's durability. Hines is not a bell cow. 

If we can get a 5th round pick though, I'd be happy.

Honestly, I always thought we were gonna trade Mack, when we resigned him I thought it was just the organization doing him a solid because no one was gonna sign a RB coming off an achilles when the RB market was already full of veteran RBs

Archived