Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mack and Colts mutually agree to seek trade (Merge)

JediXMan

• Replies 356
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • JediXMan changed the title to Mack and Colts mutually agree to seek trade.

Probably not a real good market for him honestly. He’s on a 1 year deal, coming off an Achilles injury, and has shown next to nothing. And to be quite honest we’re not in a position where we should be shoehorning him into games to help his value and facilitate a trade. 

Whether this was the plan for his return or not the whole thing has been * poorly executed. 

I think  this is a mistake because I think JT and Mack complement each other's skill sets.  Mack is also good in pass pro, and we need that.

JT is decent, but he's far from a star right now.  

Of course I think the season is probably lost so it probably doesn't matter. 

13 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Probably not a real good market for him honestly. He’s on a 1 year deal, coming off an Achilles injury, and has shown next to nothing. And to be quite honest we’re not in a position where we should be shoehorning him into games to help his value and facilitate a trade. 

Whether this was the plan for his return or not the whole thing has been * poorly executed. 

Executed poorly? No, this was a win for both parties. The fella got to rehab and got a deal (small but considering how many other FA RBs with bigger profiles have fared, he made out brilliantly). The Colts are going to get a draft pick and/or player for him, that's a W.

As for his value, we saw the burst in some preseason, and in week 1. Enough to get teams biting. The report is that there're already interested parties, with the way the media works there is every chance that is nonsense. BUT if there indeed are multiple interested parties then putting this news out will up the stakes and Ballard makes out better than he would have before. I cannot knock anything about this.

2 minutes ago, boo2202 said:

San Fran 

If he goes to SF, he's going to be a HIT

21 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

And to be quite honest we’re not in a position where we should be shoehorning him into games to help his value and facilitate a trade. 

He was inactive last week. That's the literal opposite of shoehorning him into games to help his value and facilitate a trade.

We re-signed him for cheap, allowed him to rehab and play in preseason/week 1, and could end up getting an extra pick for just that. How is that poorly executed?

• Shive changed the title to Mack and Colts mutually agree to seek trade (Merge)
21 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Never thought it was a good signing but if it nets us any kind of pick it was worth it. 

It was a cheap deal. Low risk, high reward.   It was a great signing.  

If we get a 5th or 6th round draft pick, it was only paying $2 million for the pick.  If I didn't think the season was a loss, I'd want to keep him.    

Would have preferred to see a 1-2 of JT and Mack running it, and Hines used mostly as APB. 

Mack has been the better zone runner, and JT better power. Hines the better edge. 

Oh well. Goes back to questionable rotation / usage.

I don't blame Mack for asking if he's not going to be used. 

Can we get MIKE or FS for Mack is my question. 

Just now, Myles said:

It was a cheap deal. Low risk, high reward.   It was a great signing.  

If we get a 5th or 6th round draft pick, it was only paying $2 million for the pick.  If I didn't think the season was a loss, I'd want to keep him.    

I have not given up on the season yet and i'm fine with this. JT and Hines are getting the bulk of the work. Wilkins is still here and he's a very good backup. Plus there's Deon Jackson (on PS) who folks were calling a clone of Marlon Mack. 

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Would have preferred to see a 1-2 of JT and Mack running it, and Hines used mostly as APB. 

Mack has been the better zone runner, and JT better power. Hines the better edge. 

Oh well. Goes back to questionable rotation / usage.

I don't blame Mack for asking if he's not going to be used. 

Can we get MIKE or FS for Mack is my question. 

But Ballard has to be on board with the usage.  He and Frank must be on the same page if the Colts are willing to trade.  I agree, we should keep him as a breather for JT.  Hines should never sniff the plays JT runs, IMO.

Just now, The Fish said:

We're not getting anything of equal value back (if he gets back to form), but whatever, the whole situation was handled like a charity case.

Fish, think about it a little more deeply. Charity case? How??

Equal value? ANYTHING >>> Mack sitting inactive.

It's Ballard-hunting season I know, but if he gets anything better than a 7th for this, you have to give him his flowers.

1 minute ago, Colt.45 said:

Fish, think about it a little more deeply. Charity case? How??

Equal value? ANYTHING >>> Mack sitting inactive.

It's Ballard-hunting season I know, but if he gets anything better than a 7th for this, you have to give him his flowers.

Colt.45, I thought about it when I made the post, that's what I do.

Charity case ie. no reason to pay to bring him back after that injury unless the brass felt bad for him (they said as much).

36 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I think  this is a mistake because I think JT and Mack complement each other's skill sets.  Mack is also good in pass pro, and we need that.

JT is decent, but he's far from a star right now.  

Of course I think the season is probably lost so it probably doesn't matter. 

When are you playing Mack though?  

Just now, The Fish said:

Colt.45, I thought about it when I made the post, that's what I do.

Charity case ie. no reason to pay to bring him back after that injury unless the brass felt bad for him (they said as much).

They said but but they're also not running a charity. If they'd let him go before as you seem to have wanted, then they get zilch. Now, they let the guy rehab (nothing wrong with that kind of class and kindness) AND they potentially get a player/pick for him. How is that bad?

Just now, Colt.45 said:

They said but but they're also not running a charity. If they'd let him go before as you seem to have wanted, then they get zilch. Now, they let the guy rehab (nothing wrong with that kind of class and kindness) AND they potentially get a player/pick for him. How is that bad?

Tell them that? We've seen some of this with the Vinny situation too. 

They also don't get zilch if he's not resigned, they would of had a roster spot and the money they gave him.. 

I dunno. I have doubts that he actually gets traded to anyone. A release is more likely.

Archived