Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reich Grievances (Merge)

indyagent17

• Shive changed the title to Reich Grievances (Merge)
23 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Wow

This may sound like a crazy idea but just maybe the head coach who is at the practices everyday knows more about his players than the fans in the stands

And that coach who is at the practices everyday has as many wins this year as the fans in the stands. Food for thought.

23 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I would say that it is hard to find good QBs in the league and that QB1 at 70% is better than QB2 for most teams in the league, people just don't understand how big the gap is. When you get names like Chad Kelly or now Eason people want them to be great and think they have QB1 ability if they get the chance but in reality they haven't shown anything in practice and it's only hype.

Personally I don't care who is number 2 on the depth chart(because they aren't playing), we know our OL is bad and Reich saw that he most likely put Hundley 2nd because he didn't believe Eason was mobile enough to succeed behind that line and didn't want to set him up for failure. For the argument of then why is Eason on the roster and Hundley on PS, it's because they don't want another team to claim Eason and don't have to worry about Hundley getting snagged.

I have to disagree a bit here. I agree that the delta is larger than most think, but what happened was a cluster. I understand why they wanted to keep JE and SE on the 53 for development, but it was straight up clown to basically demote JE over the PS guy. Not sure how much more they needed to see from JE the curtain was pulled back. I took SE being drafted as a pretty good indicator things weren't as good as folks thought. 

And not that I think Kelly is, or ever would be great. But I do think he'd perform at a rate higher than JE or SE. Perhaps Hundley too. I actually said Hundley may not have the highest ceiling, but was the most ready now before the season started. I got snark... 

I don't really care about QB2 either. I don't want to pay a guy 15M a year to sneak the ball, and maybe play .500 ball if the starter is out long term. But just the way things went down were comical. 

47 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

And that coach who is at the practices everyday has as many wins this year as the fans in the stands. Food for thought.

Who has 25+ years in the NFL. The fact that, that is your argument gives great evidence to my above point and shows the ignorance of fans thinking that they know as much as a head coach

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I have to disagree a bit here. I agree that the delta is larger than most think, but what happened was a cluster. I understand why they wanted to keep JE and SE on the 53 for development, but it was straight up clown to basically demote JE over the PS guy. Not sure how much more they needed to see from JE the curtain was pulled back. I took SE being drafted as a pretty good indicator things weren't as good as folks thought. 

And not that I think Kelly is, or ever would be great. But I do think he'd perform at a rate higher than JE or SE. Perhaps Hundley too. I actually said Hundley may not have the highest ceiling, but was the most ready now before the season started. I got snark... 

I don't really care about QB2 either. I don't want to pay a guy 15M a year to sneak the ball, and maybe play .500 ball if the starter is out long term. But just the way things went down were comical. 

Honestly I think the whole backup thing is overblown. I don't think it was a cluster or a clown show, I think most people are using it just to be mad and point fingers when in reality it didn't affect anything.

24 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Honestly I think the whole backup thing is overblown. I don't think it was a cluster or a clown show, I think most people are using it just to be mad and point fingers when in reality it didn't affect anything.

Like I said, I was not surprised. I thought Hundley was like the most ready now QB anyway. But demoting your #2 and bringing up your #4 is just bad optics. If Eason had any confidence, it was probably crushed... 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Like I said, I was not surprised. I thought Hundley was like the most ready now QB anyway. But demoting your #2 and bringing up your #4 is just bad optics. If Eason had any confidence, it was probably crushed... 

I would imagine that it wasn't a shock to Eason, and if his confidence is that easily destroyed. Do you really want him playing?

6 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I would imagine that it wasn't a shock to Eason, and if his confidence is that easily destroyed. Do you really want him playing?

I mean what is a depth chart, if it's really not a depth chart lol.... 

If Hudley is the best option, he's the best option. Just don't play the shell game and set fake status or false expectation.

46 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Who has 25+ years in the NFL. The fact that, that is your argument gives great evidence to my above point and shows the ignorance of fans thinking that they know as much as a head coach

I'm not claiming I know as much as a head coach in the NFL, I'm claiming this "Head Coach" is as qualified as fans in the stands who root for an NFL team. That's for a myriad of reasons, not just the current record of the Colts.

50 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not claiming I know as much as a head coach in the NFL, I'm claiming this "Head Coach" is as qualified as fans in the stands who root for an NFL team. That's for a myriad of reasons, not just the current record of the Colts.

Yes and that is an extremely ignorant and foolish claim, that a fan believes that they know as much as someone who played 13 years in the league and has coached roughly 13 years.

and I'm not trying to make this a personal attack against you, that's why I have been trying to use they, and lumping fans as a group, because even I fall into that group sometimes.

First of all, let me qualify that I have been a Colts fan since Bert Jones was their QB.  I spend at least an hour a day watching Colts film or reading about the Colts.

Where Reich is starting to lose me is in two areas.  First of all, he claims to be very transparent and straightforward.  Yet, he will stand up there and say the team has full confidence in Jacob Eason and they will do fine if he has to start.  Then less than a week later, drop Eason to third string behind a guy who has already shown he isn't a very good NFL QB who was on the practice squad.  How is that straightforward or transparent?  And what signal does that give to Eason? I thought this team was all about competition and earning your spot.  So Eason earned it, but then has it taken away by a failed, backup QB?  Nice signal to send to the team there Frank.

Secondly, his play calling baffles me. It reminds me of the days of Pep Hamilton where there is no rhymn or reason for plays.  We will run 3 plays, pick up 24 yards, and then throw 4 times.  We have huge wide receivers and tight ends, but never throw a fade inside the red zone.  We have, what I think, one of the top running backs in the league in Taylor.  We supposed to have a good o-line. Why not do like Titans and just feed some Taylor?  Nope, instead it is a reverse on one play, Taylor inside handoff on next play, sack on next play, Hines draw on next play. It is like Reich is so smart he wants to get every single play in he can get, even though clearly certain things are working and others aren't.  You don't see that from Belichick.  If he can run the ball on you, you are getting that for 60 minutes.  If you can't stop a fade, you will see them all day.

And I still can't figout why, if you have a hurt or hobbled QB, you line up in empty backfield with little protection when the oline clearly isn't working right .

1 hour ago, JediXMan said:

He’s delusional if he believes this smh.

I mean, we lost by a little over a score so maybe he has confidence in that. That's unfortunate IMHO. We all saw what happened to Andrew Luck. Every one of us remembers him wincing at that tap from Hasselbeck. 

Sure, you might be able to win games like that but this isnt the fanbase to make that argument to, a base that's had a franchise QB walk away. 

And yes, Wentz will look better....hopefully before some d-lineman ends his season because he's flinching, can't move, and the line cant block. 

Here is a question I'm curious about.

Just a hypothetical , suppose on Sunday versus the Titans Carson Wentz could not play.  I know Brett was named the backup,

but lets just say Jacob Eason played.  He was able to utilize play action, and throw the ball to all points of the field.  And the offense just looked much better than the two home games with Wentz.   It has happened before when the backup comes in and obviously outperforms the starter.

Here is my question,

Is Frank Reich's job in jeopardy if Eason were to claim the starting role, and even savage the season.  Would ownership view that as a failure to evaluate players on the team, and the cost to get Carson.  Or it is just part of team building, and sometimes things don't pan out.

I guess my basic question is, will Frank get fired if Carson doesn't work out, or does he get a pass to try again?

15 hours ago, StartEason said:

Here is my question,

Is Frank Reich's job in jeopardy if Eason were to claim the starting role, and even savage the season.  Would ownership view that as a failure to evaluate players on the team, and the cost to get Carson.  Or it is just part of team building, and sometimes things don't pan out.

I guess my basic question is, will Frank get fired if Carson doesn't work out, or does he get a pass to try again?

There are many ways to understand your question. Should we fire Frank if he changes nothing and Carson is demonstrably the key problem in the Colts failures? IMO, we (including the Colts FO) probably doesn't know. Teams can be modeled as networks, and networks are usually robust against small individual failures. But there are tipping points when and where any network will fail. People do network analysis all the time. 

On 9/29/2021 at 1:47 PM, lennymoore24 said:

First of all, let me qualify that I have been a Colts fan since Bert Jones was their QB.  I spend at least an hour a day watching Colts film or reading about the Colts.

Where Reich is starting to lose me is in two areas.  First of all, he claims to be very transparent and straightforward.  Yet, he will stand up there and say the team has full confidence in Jacob Eason and they will do fine if he has to start.  Then less than a week later, drop Eason to third string behind a guy who has already shown he isn't a very good NFL QB who was on the practice squad.  How is that straightforward or transparent?  And what signal does that give to Eason? I thought this team was all about competition and earning your spot.  So Eason earned it, but then has it taken away by a failed, backup QB?  Nice signal to send to the team there Frank.

Secondly, his play calling baffles me. It reminds me of the days of Pep Hamilton where there is no rhymn or reason for plays.  We will run 3 plays, pick up 24 yards, and then throw 4 times.  We have huge wide receivers and tight ends, but never throw a fade inside the red zone.  We have, what I think, one of the top running backs in the league in Taylor.  We supposed to have a good o-line. Why not do like Titans and just feed some Taylor?  Nope, instead it is a reverse on one play, Taylor inside handoff on next play, sack on next play, Hines draw on next play. It is like Reich is so smart he wants to get every single play in he can get, even though clearly certain things are working and others aren't.  You don't see that from Belichick.  If he can run the ball on you, you are getting that for 60 minutes.  If you can't stop a fade, you will see them all day.

And I still can't figout why, if you have a hurt or hobbled QB, you line up in empty backfield with little protection when the oline clearly isn't working right .

This sort of stuff is largely why I blame Reich and not Ballard. I think we have some great players on this team but the usage of them is so head scratching..

This Eason thing is so overblown.  And I'm going to get this out of the way first, no, I'm not advocating leaving Wentz in, aggravating his injury or other wise playing him when he's incapable of being ineffective.  But players play hurt all the time and if the docs clear him to play and he's 75% and wants to play, can play and can be effective (read more effective than his backup).  Play him.

But as far as Eason goes, Eason being 3rd string tells me one of two things.  Either, Reich believed Eason's time in week 2 made him rethink where Eason was in his development or Hundley right now is more ready than Eason.  Big whoop.  We're still talking about Day 3 QBs.  Do we really want to just throw these guys out there "just to see" if he's good enough?  That's insane to me and I think framing the backup QB situation that way would lose you your job if you were coaching that way.  Part of me thinks that much of this narrative is just something that people say to hide the true motive of wanting to keep our first round next year and lose our way into a high draft pick.  

21 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

Or "Custer's last stance". He lost also. if I recall.:grumpy2:

Custer's last stand..... man that's a really old movie. Did you ever see They dies with their boots on with Errol Flynn ? Loved watching that when was a kid. The Indians as you say were the victorious ones.

Archived