Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A thread for obvious opinions and headscratchers?

Indeee

1) Why is Marlon Mack on this team? 

The usage in game 2 to me was weird. Almost forced just to get him some snaps. Unnecessary. Mack's resigning to me wasn't needed and he should be traded before deadline IMHO. Wilkins can hold fort if Taylor were to be hurt.

2) Why is Doyle still on this team? 

Outside of his one catch yesterday for 10 yards, maybe two per game norm, and potential blocking need, why is he still here? Doyle is terrible. I mean why was there a designed play call to Doyle on the goal line? Is this guy Kelse? I mean if it was to fool everybody then it worked because it fooled me and probably fooled the defense too. Unfortunately it also fooled Doyle's feet as they were not even expecting to move, so they didn't and the rest of him tumbled to the ground. Trade Doyle even if it's for a 2035 7th. 

3) Where is Granson?

???? Is he hurt and I'm just not aware of it? This guy needs to be on the field 80% of the time at minimum. Let him grow through actually playing, not just periodic scheming. Headscratcher for sure. I seriously was hoping for an H-back type, move TE in the mold of maybe Coolie. This guy IMHO has to be included in the game plan.

4) Strachan not active?

Another headscratcher, even though it could be for providing room for another needed position on gameday, but come on? **See Doyle above. Sit Doyle in favor of Strachan. Again, Strachan needs to grow by playing consistently.

5) Parris Campbell.

I'm sorry, can we just stop here. Another trade deadline candidate. See package deal with Doyle???

6) Hines needs to be on field 80% or more of the time.

Maybe one of the only true playmakers the Colts have right now. Can anybody say 2 back sets? Put him in the slot? More bubble screens/wheel routes? Something. Get this guy the ball MORE PLEASE!!

I will stop here and allow room for others to add on if they feel the want or need as there are a great deal left to go.

Without bashing Ballard or Reich as there is plenty of that going on right now, I'm just trying to figure out what it is they (Colts decision makers) are seeing that I personally am not. Whatever this has been for the first three weeks now just doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

Have at it....

49 minutes ago, Indeee said:

The usage in game 2 to me was weird. Almost forced just to get him some snaps. Unnecessary. Mack's resigning to me wasn't needed and he should be traded before deadline IMHO. Wilkins can hold fort if Taylor were to be hurt.

Outside of his one catch yesterday for 10 yards, maybe two per game norm, and potential blocking need, why is he still here? Doyle is terrible. I mean why was there a designed play call to Doyle on the goal line? Is this guy Kelse? I mean if it was to fool everybody then it worked because it fooled me and probably fooled the defense too. Unfortunately it also fooled Doyle's feet as they were not even expecting to move, so they didn't and the rest of him tumbled to the ground. Trade Doyle even if it's for a 2035 7th. 

3) Where is Granson?

???? Is he hurt and I'm just not aware of it? This guy needs to be on the field 80% of the time at minimum. Let him grow through actually playing, not just periodic scheming. Headscratcher for sure. I seriously was hoping for an H-back type, move TE in the mold of maybe Coolie. This guy IMHO has to be included in the game plan.

4) Strachan not active?

Another headscratcher, even though it could be for providing room for another needed position on gameday, but come on? **See Doyle above. Sit Doyle in favor of Strachan. Again, Strachan needs to grow by playing consistently.

5) Parris Campbell.

I'm sorry, can we just stop here. Another trade deadline candidate. See package deal with Doyle???

Maybe one of the only true playmakers the Colts have right now. Can anybody say 2 back sets? Put him in the slot? More bubble screens/wheel routes? Something. Get this guy the ball MORE PLEASE!!

I will stop here and allow room for others to add on if they feel the want or need as there are a great deal left to go.

Without bashing Ballard or Reich as there is plenty of that going on right now, I'm just trying to figure out what it is they (Colts decision makers) are seeing that I personally am not. Whatever this has been for the first three weeks now just doesn't make any sense. I'm sorry, it just doesn't.

Have at it....

My complaint is we aren't winning a game playing safe. At one point Wentz was averaging 3.7 yards a pass that is not going to cut it at the NFL level. Need to go down the field more. While the defense has issues they played well enough to will if the offense could score.

I think that the biggest head scratcher is the the Colts continue to obtain players with obvious flaws and then are surprised that they play to the level of those flaws. Normally (a few exceptions) a players performance and history remain constant.

We picked up backup tackles that were not very good and they are still not very good.

We draft players with poor college performance and injury history and then we are surprised when they cannot perform or our constantly injured. We invest great Captial in a QB with a history of injury which is related to his holding on the ball too long and then we are shocked that he is injured. 

We say that we are going to rely on our running game then abandon the running game. 

We take one of best players such as Hines and use him one week and then the next week he does not touch the ball.

• Like 2

Marlon Mack is a good RB, which is why he's on the team.  JT is just better, but should he go down, it's still good to have a guy like Mack in reserve.

Doyle and Wilkins are decent, but the guys above Wilkins on the depth chart are all pretty good too, you can only dress so many of them.  I mean trade Mack or don't, but you could make a case for trading Wilkins as well.  Doyle on the other hand is the best TE on the roster, and I dont' really think there's an argument to the contrary.  MAC should probably be involved in the passing game more, but it's not like he's getting a ton of targets when he does.  Has run over half the routes as Doyle but has a third of the targets.  

Not sure the deal on Granson, but it's clear that what we heard about him in camp was mostly coach speak.  If he was ready and better than his competition, he'd be out there.  But he's clearly not there yet.

Agree on Hines, we just need to get both he and JT the ball more in general.

Don't know if it's Wentz or the scheme, but the guy holds the ball forever. I did the rewind to count seconds on every hit and in every case he held the ball for more than 3 seconds. Once he held it for 5. You can't expect any OL to keep a good DL out of the backfield for that long. I think Rivers, last years statue, got rid of the ball in under two. Give the OL a two second window and they become all pro.

I agree with the earlier comment about acquiring people with history and then expecting them to not play up or down to that history. Wentz has been injury prone much of his pro career. To expect him to come here and have a different outcome is insane. If we lose to Miami, which will be a huge embarrassment considering who'll be under center, then we should put Eason out there and sink or swim for the rest of the season. Let Wentz heal. If Eason is not the answer we need to know. If he isn't then we'll get a great pick and we shouldn't give that away in return for a gimpy, oft injured QB that can't give us 100%, 100% of the time. A high number one should net you a SB caliber QB. 

Hmmm.  So JB never threw downfield.  Rivers did not throw downfield.  And we are criticizing Wentz for not throwing down field.  

So, either Frank does not like to throw down field (but he did as a QB), or, all three QBs didn't think there will be anybody open downfield when they are expecting them to be open.  Or nobody was open.

Mack is a backup to JT. Period.  He runs the in-the-middle runs that he always had (remember, back when folks thought he was near-elite?).  He has no other useful talent as a ball carrier.  (he can block as a RB)

Doyle is in the game because no other TE is better.

Granson?  Apparently not good enough, or maybe showing juggles in practice.

Strachan apparently cant run block, play ST, or run a decent array of patterns, possibly not getting sufficient separation.  He is been all about making sure handed and contested catches.  But that is not enough to get on the field in the NFL.  He was a 7th round pick because he is a developmental player.

If Parris is healthy and on the field, then he should be making plays if he is the player we think that he should be.

Can't use Hines every play.  He could be on the field more with JT, but then that would take away from the two TE set or the 3 WR set.

20 minutes ago, FRW said:

Don't know if it's Wentz or the scheme, but the guy holds the ball forever. I did the rewind to count seconds on every hit and in every case he held the ball for more than 3 seconds. Once he held it for 5. You can't expect any OL to keep a good DL out of the backfield for that long. I think Rivers, last years statue, got rid of the ball in under two. Give the OL a two second window and they become all pro.

As did Luck.  I noticed the similarity in the first two games, despite the O line playing poorly.

Its a sign of a QB that looks for down the field chunk plays because he has the arm to convert them.  Rivers did not throw down the field that much....see the difference?

Also, injuries happen to QBs who extend plays waiting for something down the field to open up.

Luck had TY and Ebron, so it worked for him and the offense.  Wentz has nobody down the field to throw to with any consistency.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Indeee said:

3) Where is Granson?

4) Strachan not active?

5) Parris Campbell.

Have at it....

Marlon Mack being on roster is not the teams problem.  If JT goes down, then we still have a quality back to fill in.

Doyle is still probably the best TE we have, which is sad because he's not near the player he once was.

If Granson was ready I'm  sure we would see him. He's  a mid round draft pick and will take time.

Strachan, see above on Granson except he's a 7th round rookie. 

Paris Campbell is a Bust..

I agree on Hines. I'd like to see him in 2 back formations and more creative ways to line him up and get the ball to him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indeee said:

3) Where is Granson?

4) Strachan not active?

5) Parris Campbell.

Have at it....

1) Mack is on this team because Ballard didn't give an extension after year 3, drafted his replacement and then he got hurt. Ballard brought him back so he can rehab with the org and hopefully put some good tape on film later in the year. Plus, he's better depth than Wilkins.

2) Doyle is here because there is nobody else, well except for MAC (who is also not a viable TE1). The only move they have made to address TE since Ebron left was draft an H-back in the 4th round, who can't even get on the field. 

3) See #2. He can't block and is overmatched as a pass catcher. Thought he might end up getting cut out of camp.

4) Strachan is a JAG at this point, albeit a very tall one. He's still developing. Don't need two 6'5" possession slot WRs.

5) Because TY is hurt....and he's the only deep threat on this team.

6) Sure...if teams forgot that he is fast and can run to the edge fast. But something tells that is more of a TEN defense thing.

He's a good player. If JT gets hurt, what do you have as backup? Do you trust Hines as a full 3D back?

Blocking.

3) Where is Granson?

I tried to warn the forum about this when we drafted him. It takes most tightends a while to come into their own. I read the expectations and excitement in the forum and noted that our expectations were rather high. Granson will get his time but look at Kyle Pitts in Atlanta. How well is he doing? Folks, TEs don't just come into the NFL and make immediate splashes. That's rare.

4) Strachan not active?

Meh. He's JAG until proven otherwise. Even if he was Randy Moss, he wasn't helping us yesterday.

5) Parris Campbell.

We won't get to see what we have in him until we know what we have in Carson. Also, at this point it's about him staying healthy more than anything. I say that just from a human perspective. 

Hines is a good weapon and showed up as a playmaker yesterday but lets understand something. Darren Sproles was rarely a feature back with good reason. If you get defenses actively game planning for Hines as you seem to want, i'm not sure you'll see him as effective as he is when he's used as we have. I don't know this for a fact but i think we need to be careful what we ask for here.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stephen said:

My complaint is we aren't winning a game playing safe. At one point Wentz was averaging 3.7 yards a pass that is not going to cut it at the NFL level. Need to go down the field more. While the defense has issues they played well enough to will if the offense could score.

The line will not allow him to throw deep . Pff had a interesting stat about wentz only 2 percent of his pressures and sacks were his fault ranking number 2 in the nfl . Meaning the whole wentz holds on to the ball to long is bull . Wrs not getting open enough and constant pressure is killing us . 

Has Granson been targeted yet? Why was Strachan inactive? Teams will be loading the box until we can show we can stretch the field. Granson was supposed to be a fit for this offense. Our promising running game is going to get stuffed on lees we display a legitimate downfield threat, and the ability to stretch the field. Opposing teams have done this very thing to the Colts.

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

The line will not allow him to throw deep . Pff had a interesting stat about wentz only 2 percent of his pressures and sacks were his fault ranking number 2 in the nfl . Meaning the whole wentz holds on to the ball to long is bull . Wrs not getting open enough and constant pressure is killing us . 

i agree with this it is the OL. and if Q miss some time i think we should sit CW until the line is back to normal

• Like 1

Why, oh why, did we spend a 2nd round draft choice on a guy who was injured, was going to miss at least half the season, will not have practiced at all with the team once he's off the list, and could very well have a chance of never playing up to expectations due to the nature of his injury?  When we could have chosen an offensive playmaker that could have helped us immediately?

image.png.0156f9dfa44f91ef8c6aef5179332c6c.png

Campbell was about to take flight with Rivers last year.  6 catches on 9 targets for 71 yards in game 1.  This kid needs 9-10 targets/touches a game.  He needs more first read opportunities.  Wentz has seen him late on a couple plays and gotten him 2 kill shot hits that usually end his season.  But he hung in both games.  So reward the kid.  Make him and Pittman your co number ones and they both will shine.  

Give him 3 straight weeks of 10 legitimate targets and I bet that we’d have a new clear number 1 receiver.  At worse we’d have a legitimate number 2 to Pittman or it would be clear he’s a bust.  But not giving the guy any targets is criminally misusing Campbell’s talents.  Use him while you got him.  

Go back and watch our first drive of the game.  3rd and 8.  Campbell is coming on the quick crosser.  Maybe he gets the first or maybe they tackle him short?  But put it on him and give him the chance.  Plus you get the connection between QB & receiver started early.  Wentz starts the play looking to his left (I’m assuming to look off the safeties and backers) where Campbell is coming from on the crosser.  

Only problem was there wasn’t any Colts player on that entire side of the field…  So he wasn’t faking anybody out.  Just get the ball out to Campbell quickly…  Where was Wentz looking and why?  Threw the timing off on the play and then had the audacity to throw it to Campbell late foreshadowing the later kill shot hit.  Guess he was nice enough to skip that one in though so the defender couldn’t blow up Campbell on the first series….  

Wentz just looks so dang lost on my rewatches. And it won’t be long before Campbell is lost for the season from injury if he doesn’t become a Wentz primary target.  Because as a 2nd or 3rd option, he’s headed for the IR getting balls thrown to him from Wentz. 

4 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Campbell was about to take flight with Rivers last year.  6 catches on 9 targets for 71 yards in game 1.  This kid needs 9-10 targets/touches a game.  He needs more first read opportunities.  Wentz has seen him late on a couple plays and gotten him 2 kill shot hits that usually end his season.  But he hung in both games.  So reward the kid.  Make him and Pittman your co number ones and they both will shine.  

Give him 3 straight weeks of 10 legitimate targets and I bet that we’d have a new clear number 1 receiver.  At worse we’d have a legitimate number 2 to Pittman or it would be clear he’s a bust.  But not giving the guy any targets is criminally misusing Campbell’s talents.  Use him while you got him.  

Go back and watch our first drive of the game.  3rd and 8.  Campbell is coming on the quick crosser.  Maybe he gets the first or maybe they tackle him short?  But put it on him and give him the chance.  Plus you get the connection between QB & receiver started early.  Wentz starts the play looking to his left (I’m assuming to look off the safeties and backers) where Campbell is coming from on the crosser.  

Only problem was there wasn’t any Colts player on that entire side of the field…  So he wasn’t faking anybody out.  Just get the ball out to Campbell quickly…  Where was Wentz looking and why?  Threw the timing off on the play and then had the audacity to throw it to Campbell late foreshadowing the later kill shot hit.  Guess he was nice enough to skip that one in though so the defender couldn’t blow up Campbell on the first series….  

Wentz just looks so dang lost on my rewatches. And it won’t be long before Campbell is lost for the season from injury if he doesn’t become a Wentz primary target.  Because as a 2nd or 3rd option, he’s headed for the IR getting balls thrown to him from Wentz. 

Nailed it. Wentz is certainly not without blame here. He's not why the Colts have lost but he's certainly not a unanimous choice. We need to know if this guy can actually play.