Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pass interference call and non-call

Caffrey

I think the 30 yard pass interference call on Rhodes was questionable and came out late but an referee, not the referee close to the play.  

However the worse was the non-call on the DB guarding Pascal in the end zone.  He wasn't even looking at the ball.  If he had turned, seen and played the ball, that would be OK.  He was just looking at Pascal and moving into him as Pascal was trying to make a play on the ball.  

Those were 2 big calls that did not go in our favor. 

Vinovich has been a joke of an official for years.  With that said the Colts got a PI somewhere in the second half that was similar to what Rhodes got called for because I remembered thinking at least Vinovich is a joke both ways.  I also saw Wentz take a couple of late hits that again went uncalled.  I’d spend more time complaining about the officials if the Colts didn’t have bigger issues to deal with.

4 hours ago, Caffrey said:

I think the 30 yard pass interference call on Rhodes was questionable and came out late but an referee, not the referee close to the play.  

However the worse was the non-call on the DB guarding Pascal in the end zone.  He wasn't even looking at the ball.  If he had turned, seen and played the ball, that would be OK.  He was just looking at Pascal and moving into him as Pascal was trying to make a play on the ball.  

Those were 2 big calls that did not go in our favor. 

The penalty that should have been called on the defender on the Pascal call is known as "face guarding ." That play was a perfect example of it and 100% should have been called. Simply put ... you can't do that.

If we’re talking about bull PI calls, that one on Kenny Moore earlier in the game was ridiculous. Yeah slowed down in super slow motion he got there just before the ball, but in live speed it was very bang-bang as the common term goes.... no way can you call that.

and while we’re at it, that running into the kicker call wast soft as all hell too. I can see why it was called, but come on man, he’s diving trying to make a block, and he just so happens to fall where he does, it’s not like he full on tackles h while he is punting and in the air.... penalties like that one are ruining the game, players can’t try and block balls because they have to think I’ll get flagged if I miss..... but if he gets a finger on the ball and then ruins the kicker that’s fine?..... gimme a break.

4 hours ago, Chucklez said:

If we’re talking about bull PI calls, that one on Kenny Moore earlier in the game was ridiculous. Yeah slowed down in super slow motion he got there just before the ball, but in live speed it was very bang-bang as the common term goes.... no way can you call that.

and while we’re at it, that running into the kicker call wast soft as all hell too. I can see why it was called, but come on man, he’s diving trying to make a block, and he just so happens to fall where he does, it’s not like he full on tackles h while he is punting and in the air.... penalties like that one are ruining the game, players can’t try and block balls because they have to think I’ll get flagged if I miss..... but if he gets a finger on the ball and then ruins the kicker that’s fine?..... gimme a break.

It was Khari Willis not Kenny Moore, and I agree that was an absolute bogus call. Horrible and inexcusable call.

As for the punt, It was roughing the kicker, not running into, and Franklin hit the kickers plant leg. The call was correct. And yes, you have to weigh getting the block vs missing and hitting the punter. That's why best case you come at a bit of an angle so if you miss the ball you also miss the punter. 

BTW, Franklin sucked yesterday. He gave up the TD earlier when he decided to play man coverage on his own.

As to the face guarding no call. I blame Pascal partially, for the no call. Had he jumped or moved into the defender, that is absolutely called but since he didn't the defender only made a little contact and that's why it wasn't called. It still should have been called but Pascal could have made it a no brainer. Pascal flopped all day trying to get defensive holding calls (meanwhile, selling out his QB while he flopped on the ground), so he should be aware enough to draw that face guarding call.

4 hours ago, ColtsLegacy said:

It was Khari Willis not Kenny Moore, and I agree that was an absolute bogus call. Horrible and inexcusable call.

As for the punt, It was roughing the kicker, not running into, and Franklin hit the kickers plant leg. The call was correct. And yes, you have to weigh getting the block vs missing and hitting the punter. That's why best case you come at a bit of an angle so if you miss the ball you also miss the punter. 

BTW, Franklin sucked yesterday. He gave up the TD earlier when he decided to play man coverage on his own.

As to the face guarding no call. I blame Pascal partially, for the no call. Had he jumped or moved into the defender, that is absolutely called but since he didn't the defender only made a little contact and that's why it wasn't called. It still should have been called but Pascal could have made it a no brainer. Pascal flopped all day trying to get defensive holding calls (meanwhile, selling out his QB while he flopped on the ground), so he should be aware enough to draw that face guarding call.

I'm reading the rules on face guarding and it appears you are correct. 

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

The penalty that should have been called on the defender on the Pascal call is known as "face guarding ." That play was a perfect example of it and 100% should have been called. Simply put ... you can't do that.

Face guarding isn't a penalty.  It used to be years ago

14 hours ago, dw49 said:

Face guarding hasn't been a penalty in the NFL for quite a while.  I couldn't find when the rule changed, but you can face guard without contact.  Only HS has a rule against face guarding.

59 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Face guarding hasn't been a penalty in the NFL for quite a while.  I couldn't find when the rule changed, but you can face guard without contact.  Only HS has a rule against face guarding.

Yes that's what I found when I researched before my second post. That's why I said the other poster was correct and I was mistaken.

Just now, dw49 said:

Yes that's what I found when I researched before my second post. That's why I said the other poster was correct and I was mistaken.

From what I’m finding it was never a rule just and “interpretation.”  I thought it used to be a rule.  They used to call it that way IIRC.

13 hours ago, Chucklez said:

You hit the plant leg it’s roughing.  That’s the rule.

13 hours ago, Chucklez said:

I disagree. I think you have to protect kickers.  They have absolutely no way to protect themselves with their leg in the air like that. The penalty needs to be so severe in order to dissuade players from taking a chance.

Back when I grew up in late 70s and early 80s, their was no running into the kicker.  It was roughing if you touched him.  I think that has to be the way to do it.

Archived