Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it Ballard or Reich?

CoachLite

2 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Think about it this way. If that were Tannehill with the injury and reported movement issues, wouldn't you want the Colts to throw the sink at him and find out?

And if he flinches, as Wentz did, and shows that he just cannot move, as Wentz showed, wouldn't you want to keep throwing blitzes at him?

I think Vrabel did the right thing. 100%

I mean late hits and pulling him down unnecessarily. The were roughing him up after the whistle a few times. 

3 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I noticed he said he finally understands the defenses this year. Sounds like he is throwing FR under the bus after working under him for 3 years and not understanding till this year under a new coach.

I assume that he struggles in this area and it is not going to change, or that a few months with another team didn't suddenly illuminate the light bulb. 

• Like 1

I"m going with ...D. None of the above. Since training camp started there's been no continuity. I'll wait til this team is at full strength and "jells" to really answer this question. We lost to 3 very good football teams and weren't blown out by any means. Everybody's in a funk, let's see what happens  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SchlicterSZN said:

Actually, with the level of injuries on the OL....it's absolutely an excuse for the pressure leveled on the QB.  What is it if not the main reason?  It certainly is likely the biggest contributor.

“Understandable” is not synonymous with “excusable.” When you’ve spent as much draft capital as we have on the OL and DL, it should be much better than it has been, injuries included.

4 hours ago, poilucelt said:

I'm not sure in the NFL circa 2021 you can build teams the traditional way--I wouldn't necessarily call the OLs of the Rams, Chargers, Bucs or 49ers all "elite" but they're definitely good enough in systems featuring good-to-great QB play and elite talent at WR, particularly with coaches as innovative as Shanahan and McVay.

Especially with the kinds of defenses those teams have built--not sure if any of them run a soft "Tampa 2" like the Colts are trying to do. I'm starting to suspect that building "in the trenches" may no longer be all it's cracked up to be, nor is a defense that tries to keep everything in front while getting very little pressure on opposing QBs.

Maybe there’s some truth in that. 1993 Cowboys OLs may be a relic of the past. What I think is not acceptable is that defenses can “solve,” in a sense, OLs and beat them with schemes and whatever else teams can do to mask flaws and play to their strengths while we’re left flabbergasted. Then on the other hand, we just toss our hands up and say they’re better than us. That’s not gonna fly ever. And if that’s a fact we were being asked to accept blindly, we got the wrong coaches and GM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I mean late hits and pulling him down unnecessarily. The were roughing him up after the whistle a few times. 

Again, it might not be to our taste but lets not pretend like that's unusual or abnormally dirty. The player is hurt and they let him feel it. We had to know that was coming.

9 hours ago, Colt.45 said:

Again, it might not be to our taste but lets not pretend like that's unusual or abnormally dirty. The player is hurt and they let him feel it. We had to know that was coming.

We were wrong for sticking him out there, giving him Andrew Luck treatment. I like Ballard but damn the man gave Jacob millions he never earned and we are paying Wentz top dollar to walk the line of I am tough or just plain stupid playi g like that. Reich looks like he's coaching desperately and not sticking to the script.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

We were wrong for sticking him out there, giving him Andrew Luck treatment. I like Ballard but damn the man gave Jacob millions he never earned and we are paying Wentz top dollar to walk the line of I am tough or just plain stupid playi g like that. Reich looks like he's coaching desperately and not sticking to the script.

I don't think it's Reich. I think he's the least of our worries. Again, maybe this is just because i've seen all 32 fanbases whine about coaches over and over and over again. Not Belichick, not Reid, not Arians, no one is immune to that treatment. On Sunday and through yesterday, some folks were saying 'maybe nick sirianni was the main guy behind the Colts doing well'....i'm sure that sentiment is in the trashcan after the 40 burger Dallas fed that team. 

Went should not have played at all.

Frank on Sunday said he had 15 plays scripted for Carson and 15 for Hundley, before game day.  He then said he scraped that and was going to with the initial 15 no matter if it's a hobbled Wentz or Hundley .

That truth he gave, seems a lack of coaching creativity. 

I was fine with Hundley as backup over Eason if the coach said they schemed up some special run plays and RPO's

to help relieve some stress from the OL in a harsh road game environment. 

But no,  Hundley with the fewest reps all camp , was going to be scripted the same plays as a hobbled Wentz.

I now see Frank and Chris in a little bind now too, naming Hundley as backup will cause the Colts to have 4 QB's on roster when Sam Ehlinger comes off the IR.  

Having a losing record and managing this roster would give me so much stress. But, that is why Frank and Chris

get the big bucks, and will help navigate the Colts through the early season struggles. I hope.

On 9/26/2021 at 7:23 PM, CoachLite said:

Grigson and Pagano were joined at the hip, and we could never tell who was the major problem with the Colts. I hope we don't make the same mistake with Ballard and Reich. After watching Jacoby Brissett perform well for the Dolphins, I'm thinking Reich may be our key problem component - the really weird play calling, the conservative offense, the lose-don't win mentality, the injuries caused by confused schemes.

I think Reich is an exceptionally 'nice' guy. Maybe we could use someone with more fire in his belly.

Brissett has a 52 QBR this year.  He did run well the other day with a couple of Jukes and did lead a TD drive and FG drive late in the game to tie it up, but his passing numbers are dismal, and I doubt that he will make much more hay being an open field runner.

That being said, those two jukes he made were impressive.  He is painfully slow, but that was funny to see. 

On 9/26/2021 at 7:39 PM, Four2itus said:

What.....execution by the players isn't one of the choices?

All share in some blame, all will also share as the team begins to win. Does everything have to be so dramatic?

Of course it does.  It's 2021.

On 9/26/2021 at 8:55 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

Can u blame Eberflus? The D line gets no pressure. If his men play up, the receivers have  all day to get open because therw is no pressure. Plus his corners r not man corners. They r depending on the D line to get pressure. Face to the ball and all that.

Last year our pressure % was not bad at all (near the middle) considering we blitzed near league low (2nd lowest). 

Flus can be blamed for playing with so much cushion and general coverage calls.

The bend don't break scheme, breaks plenty vs good QBs, and gives up a ton of yardage vs mediocre QBs. 

The personnel he gets can be blamed on Ballard, but the usage and scheme selection is all his. Perhaps tweaks to scheme to better suit the players he has. 

20 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

JB criticized the colts and accused them of racism in now deleted tweets after parting ways. He has an axe to grind, which is ridiculous considering that he was given EVERY opportunity to succeed here. 

and 28 million extra dollars.  What a terd

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Vintage JB.  Clean pocket, JB makes the easiest possible throw  He's godawful

Read something crazy the other day on that play. Apparently it was the first safety ever on a completed pass in the endzone that didn't involve some sort of fumble.

Just thought that was interesting.

20 hours ago, Never_Quit said:

JB criticized the colts and accused them of racism in now deleted tweets after parting ways. He has an axe to grind, which is ridiculous considering that he was given EVERY opportunity to succeed here. 

Where did you see that? I've been searching for it and couldn't find anything about it.