Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Team Will Get Better

Smonroe

On 9/26/2021 at 6:30 PM, Smonroe said:

This isn’t blind faith either.  Injuries have decimated the team early, but the team is fairly deep.

Players will get healthy.   Then other teams we play will have injuries, that’s the nature of the game.  

I don’t think they’re as deep.  If the Titans lose Henry or Tannyhill, they’re done.  I think we could survive losing Wentz or Taylor.  

I’m not saying we’ll win the division or make the playoffs.  But with a little luck, it could happen.  

Either way, try to enjoy having football back.  

Easy to say when you're yet to pick up your first win.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/26/2021 at 8:12 PM, Boondoggle said:

I'm with you OP.  0-3 sucks but it ain't over yet. It's a 17 week season and they have time even if it is starting to look dim.

I think Wentz is going to improve in this offense.  Maybe health goes their way too we'll see.  Guys need to step up but there's talent.

Hopefully the owner doesn't get all involved in questioning the staff.  They've already got their work cut out here.

Hopefully he does question them.  Why would he not?  There are definitely things to this point that are worthy of having to answer to a superior for.

I went back to my original Wins and Losses projections for the season.  It doesn't look as dire as it seems.

Predicted starting season 1-4, finishing 11-6.  Is it possible for us to put it all together starting with the Texans game, and finishing out the season 10-7?

Sun, 9/12 1:00  Seahawks (12-4 record)  predicted Loss / actual Loss

Sun, 9/19 1:00  Rams (10-6 record)  predicted Win / actual Loss

Sun, 9/26 1:00  at Titans (11-5 record)  predicted Loss / actual Loss

Sun, 10/3 1:00  at Dolphins (10-6 record)  predicted Loss

Mon, 10/11 8:15  at Ravens (11-5 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 10/17 1:00  Texans (4-12 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 10/24 8:20  at 49'ers (6-10 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 10/31 1:00  Titans (11-5 record)  predicted Win

Thu, 11/4 8:20  Jets (2-14 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 11/14 1:00  Jaguars (1-15 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 11/21 1:00  at Bills (13-3 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 11/28 1:00  Buccaneers (11-5 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 12/5 1:00  at Texans (4-12 record)  predicted Win

BYE WEEK

Flex Date/Time  Patriots (7-9 record)  predicted Win

Sat, 12/25 8:15  at Cardinals (8-8 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 1/2 1:00  Raiders (8-8 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 1/9 1:00  Jaguars (1-15 record)  predicted Win

On 9/26/2021 at 3:52 PM, Ratking said:

You aren't a colts fan if you don't use injuries as an excuse for your below average team lol.

Ravens are banged up too... But they beat KC...the difference is the colts squad is full of losers... 

Ravens are banged up too…did you know that their QB has not practiced for the past two days because of back pain? I don’t really care but did you see him do a flip into the end zone to score? How stupid for anyone to do that and that is probably what caused his back issues. Celebrating is great but absolutely stupid to showboat like he did.

I know Mr Wentz won’t do that, right?

Come on, Colts!

8 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I went back to my original Wins and Losses projections for the season.  It doesn't look as dire as it seems.

Predicted starting season 1-4, finishing 11-6.  Is it possible for us to put it all together starting with the Texans game, and finishing out the season 10-7?

Sun, 9/12 1:00  Seahawks (12-4 record)  predicted Loss / actual Loss

Sun, 9/19 1:00  Rams (10-6 record)  predicted Win / actual Loss

Sun, 9/26 1:00  at Titans (11-5 record)  predicted Loss / actual Loss

Sun, 10/3 1:00  at Dolphins (10-6 record)  predicted Loss

Mon, 10/11 8:15  at Ravens (11-5 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 10/17 1:00  Texans (4-12 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 10/24 8:20  at 49'ers (6-10 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 10/31 1:00  Titans (11-5 record)  predicted Win

Thu, 11/4 8:20  Jets (2-14 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 11/14 1:00  Jaguars (1-15 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 11/21 1:00  at Bills (13-3 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 11/28 1:00  Buccaneers (11-5 record)  predicted Loss

Sun, 12/5 1:00  at Texans (4-12 record)  predicted Win

BYE WEEK

Flex Date/Time  Patriots (7-9 record)  predicted Win

Sat, 12/25 8:15  at Cardinals (8-8 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 1/2 1:00  Raiders (8-8 record)  predicted Win

Sun, 1/9 1:00  Jaguars (1-15 record)  predicted Win

It will probably be more like...at Fins W, at Ravens L, vs Texans W, at 49'ers L, vs Titans L, vs Jets W, vs Jags W, at Bills L, vs Bucs L, at Texans W, vs Pats W, at Cards L, vs Raiders W, vs Jags W.

So that's 8-9.

34 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Get rid of it.

You and I agree on something lmao . I don't know the stats on this but I bet average time of getting rid of the ball Rivers was much quicker. By the eye test, I seen Rivers get rid of the ball within 2 seconds sometimes. Luck held onto the ball too long as well at times but the difference between he and Wentz was he could scramble better and make something out of nothing or run it for 3 or 4 yards. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You and I agree on something lmao . I don't know the stats on this but I bet average time of getting rid of the ball Rivers was much quicker. By the eye test, I seen Rivers get rid of the ball within 2 seconds sometimes. Luck held onto the ball too long as well at times but the difference between he and Wentz was he could scramble better and make something out of nothing or run it for 3 or 4 yards. 

Don't forget Rivers' 2019 season when he was hit 56 times, sacked 34 times and threw 20 interceptions (3rd in the league) because of a bad offensive line. I imagine he would be playing about the same level or worse behind this OL.

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

Don't forget Rivers' 2019 season when he was hit 56 times, sacked 34 times and threw 20 interceptions (3rd in the league) because of a bad offensive line. I imagine he would be playing about the same level or worse behind this OL.

I don't agree. Our running game is much better than what the Chargers had and Rivers is better at reading defenses than Wentz is. In 2019 Rivers had crap around him and no run game. 

Rivers has had some bad seasons but for the most part his resume speaks of Hall of Fame worthy IMO. He has proven he can be a franchise QB, Wentz hasn't. Wentz had 1 spectacular season = 2017 but it ended in injury and then Foles wins the SB, Rivers has had at least 5 if not more. He was good last season at the age of 38.

Am sure some Boo-Birds may come out but an OL fix might just be to trade OG Quenton Nelson to the Packers for their young LT Elgton Jenkins who is starting over injured David Bakhtiari.  I would also seek to add LG Lucas Patrick (Packers) in the deal.  The capital we recover from trading Nelson would help go towards a long-term deal with Jenkins as he not scheduled to be a free agent until 2023.

Now Bakhtiari is injured and technically wouldn't be eligible to return until Week 7 which is perfect scenario to work out all the Club's details between the two franchises when he returns to action.  Think Chris Reed has impressed enough to be a starter and also have a backup with Lucas Patrick whom Jenkins has some familiarity with working on the line.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Probably Luck held the ball too long when they had the downfield passing attack before Reich.

But in 2018 he was 9th quickest in the league and was .01 seconds from being top 5 quickest.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't agree. Our running game is much better than what the Chargers had and Rivers is better at reading defenses than Wentz is. In 2019 Rivers had crap around him and no run game. 

Rivers has had some bad seasons but for the most part his resume speaks of Hall of Fame worthy IMO. He has proven he can be a franchise QB, Wentz hasn't. Wentz had 1 spectacular season = 2017 but it ended in injury and then Foles wins the SB, Rivers has had at least 5 if not more. He was good last season at the age of 38.

If you look a little closer last year, a reasonable person might conclude that our running attack was less than average for most of the season and stats were padded v bottom feeders at the end making it look better over all.  

Up until the GB game, our running wasn’t good.  In that game we averaged 4.1 ypc.  We played Hou who was worst ypc againsttwice Jax 5th worst and lv tied for 7th worst.  A lot of people here assume we ran well last year, but stats say otherwise for most of the season until we played bad rushing defenses.

I think Colts fans want to believe we run really well because of the investment in the RB position and the oline, and reichs philosophy, but that isn’t necessarily the reality of the situation.  There has been nothing special about or rushing attack and I think philosophically, run heaviness with today’s rules is a losing proposition unless you have Lamar Jackson.

TN and Henry did win a couple playoff games a couple years ago, but they barely made the postseason that year, so I’m not sure that sample size is anything but anomalous. One of the wins was v. Balt  and the other NE scored 13 points too.

they are probably going to win the division again, but Good Lord, someone has to.

I said last year as soon as PR retired that he covered up a lot of ugly with the quick decision making and release , and I think we are seeing that that might be the case.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This vaunted running game folks keep talking about, where is it? Not seen it yet. Much like the vaunted o-line.

Someone put out a missing person poster.

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You don’t agree with his 2019 stats?

9 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

1 hour ago, Zoltan said:

You don’t agree with his 2019 stats?

Forgot to add that you can make an argument his weapons were better than what he had with the Colts, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, and it was Ekelers break out year where he had 1550 total yards. He just had a bad OL (which ironically had Sam Tevi). So the whole argument that Rivers and throwing the ball quicker really isn't a valid argument because we have actually seen how Rivers' played with a bad OL and it wasn't good. 

4 hours ago, Zoltan said:

Forgot to add that you can make an argument his weapons were better than what he had with the Colts, Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Hunter Henry, and it was Ekelers break out year where he had 1550 total yards. He just had a bad OL (which ironically had Sam Tevi). So the whole argument that Rivers and throwing the ball quicker really isn't a valid argument because we have actually seen how Rivers' played with a bad OL and it wasn't good. 

He had a bad season because he had no running game, I agree his 2019 season was bad but factors play into it.

On 9/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, King Colt said:

Ditka.jpg

So dressing like a lawyer will make you a successful coach?  That shows respect?

Sorry - I love to wander through the forest.  One of my favorite pastimes and I will be doing it this weekend.

Seriously - back to my military stories.  I was an aircraft maintenance guy and I worked with plenty of people who kept a nice crisp uniform and shiny boots and couldn't fix a thing on an airplane.  I believe more in "you can't judge a book by it's cover" rather than "the clothes make the man."

All of that is just your opinion and has nothing to do with the real effectiveness of the coach.  I seriously doubt there are guys in the locker room that care if the coach wears a suit, and the locker room is where it really counts.

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

So dressing like a lawyer will make you a successful coach?  That shows respect?

Sorry - I love to wander through the forest.  One of my favorite pastimes and I will be doing it this weekend.

Seriously - back to my military stories.  I was an aircraft maintenance guy and I worked with plenty of people who kept a nice crisp uniform and shiny boots and couldn't fix a thing on an airplane.  I believe more in "you can't judge a book by it's cover" rather than "the clothes make the man."

All of that is just your opinion and has nothing to do with the real effectiveness of the coach.  I seriously doubt there are guys in the locker room that care if the coach wears a suit, and the locker room is where it really counts.

OK genius or should I say "grease monkey" cut & paste where I wrote "dressing like a lawyer will make you a successful coach". I'll check back tomorrow for your reply.

On 9/30/2021 at 8:22 PM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Ravens are banged up too…did you know that their QB has not practiced for the past two days because of back pain? I don’t really care but did you see him do a flip into the end zone to score? How stupid for anyone to do that and that is probably what caused his back issues. Celebrating is great but absolutely stupid to showboat like he did.

I know Mr Wentz won’t do that, right?

Come on, Colts!

Yea....No way Wentz is ever going to be athletic enough or passionate enough to flip into the endzone. Shoot, Wentz and the colts can't even find the endzone the traditional way.

BTW, Nelson has a chronic back injury and he tried to do an endzone keg stand celebration. Guess he shouldn't be doing stuff like that anymore? 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, Thunderbolt said:

Oline is nowhere to be found, injuries has taken a toll on this team. JT injured, Wentz running for his life, can't trust the back up QBs, so we're not going anywhere this season folks.  I say, let's not lose our top ten pick......

Say what? :number1:

10 hours ago, Smonroe said:

…ahem…again….

For fun, go back and read some of the early posts.  

Huge kuddos to you my friend! I admit I was a skeptic after the 1-4 start. Reich, the coaching staff, the players and even Ballard all share credit for staying the course. This team is something else. Who would’ve thought we’d beat both #1 teams back to back? 

On 9/27/2021 at 3:57 PM, Solid84 said:

Reich needs to hand off playcalling to Brady. He keeps making the same bone-headed mistakes and refuses to involve our best players or use players to the best of their ability. The WR group needs to step it up. If thery are as good as people here claim they are, they need to stop dropping catchable balls and put in more effort to get open.

Eberflus' defense is in for a rough season. The pass rush won't get better and it exposes our horrendous secondary. Also, if the players want to talk the talk they better walk the walk. All this "top 5 defense" and "40 turnovers" talk needs to earn them a chewing out.

Edit: As it is right now I don't see us having a chance against anyone but the Jags, Texans, Jets and maybe the Dolphins. That's a 5-6 win season right there.

Didn’t age well.

The coaching has really turned around during the last 4-5 weeks. It’s pretty clear either Reich finally woke up and saw what was infront of him or Ballard basically tolled him to run Taylor more. Same with Eberflus. Defense has been much better and last week was one of their best performances of the season in my opinion. 

Still not a fan of our WR group. We either need one or two more reliable offensive weapons or we need to try using our guys in different ways. 

On 12/26/2021 at 10:32 AM, RollerColt said:

Huge kuddos to you my friend! I admit I was a skeptic after the 1-4 start. Reich, the coaching staff, the players and even Ballard all share credit for staying the course. This team is something else. Who would’ve thought we’d beat both #1 teams back to back? 

If we had also beaten the Bucs earlier on, I would be such an arrogant blank-blanker to be around right now LOL

nicole richie hair flip GIF

Archived