Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

This Team Will Get Better

Smonroe

21 minutes ago, KB said:

The team isn't as bad as the whiners and trolls are making it out to be.

They are what the record says.  If they go 0-4 the season is virtually over, one team in the history of the league has recovered from that to make the playoffs 

This is the NFL, where good and bad teams have amazing athletes who can make amazing plays from time to time. The difference between good teams and bad teams is the ability to consistently make those good plays and avoid the bad ones.

From a fan's perspective, because we see good plays here and there from the Colts, we think that we do not have a bad team. Actually, we do. We just have a bad NFL team, which is still talented overall, but less so than their NFL counterparts. Even the Jaguars last year (1-15 record) had good plays from time to time and their fans had hope that their team could turn things around, until it was evident that they could not.

Will the team get better? Possibly, if you go by the thinking that the injured players will return, while also being able to avoid any other injuries. From what we saw yesterday (Paye & Nelson) this isn't reality. Our injured players will return while other players will get injured. The key is, what positions are enduring the injuries?

• Like 2

Reich needs to hand off playcalling to Brady. He keeps making the same bone-headed mistakes and refuses to involve our best players or use players to the best of their ability. The WR group needs to step it up. If thery are as good as people here claim they are, they need to stop dropping catchable balls and put in more effort to get open.

Eberflus' defense is in for a rough season. The pass rush won't get better and it exposes our horrendous secondary. Also, if the players want to talk the talk they better walk the walk. All this "top 5 defense" and "40 turnovers" talk needs to earn them a chewing out.

Edit: As it is right now I don't see us having a chance against anyone but the Jags, Texans, Jets and maybe the Dolphins. That's a 5-6 win season right there.

My 2 cents on what needs to change going forward:

- Why on earth do we have these massive receivers and do NOT give them 50/50 jump balls in the red zone? MP, MAC, and Strachan all have that capability and I have yet to see a play for that yet.

- Speaking of red zone, why is so all or nothing with Reich? Against the Rams, we had 3 straight runs in the red zone. This week, I believe it was 3 straight passes at one point. MIX IT UP.

- Why do we almost never have a 2 back set on the field? Some combo of Taylor/Mack/Hines in a 2 back set would keep defenses guessing and open things up for the offense. 

- On defense, I think we are honestly just going to have to limp by until Paye and Dayo develop (hopefully) and we get a stud cover corner (hopefully this offseason). This defense cannot consistently hold up without the good pass rush and at least one great outside corner. 

• Like 1

I'm not looking at the team with rose colored glasses.  At least I don't think so.

I see a team that hasn't really practiced together due to injuries.  A team that lost to three teams that will most certainly be in the playoffs.  A team that has talent, but it's evident that the key players are playing hurt.

Someone called me a typical Colts fan, blaming losses on injuries.  If you can't see how injuries contribute to the losses, then maybe you're the one with the colored glasses.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I'm not looking at the team with rose colored glasses.  At least I don't think so.

I see a team that hasn't really practiced together due to injuries.  A team that lost to three teams that will most certainly be in the playoffs.  A team that has talent, but it's evident that the key players are playing hurt.

Someone called me a typical Colts fan, blaming losses on injuries.  If you can't see how injuries contribute to the losses, then maybe you're the one with the colored glasses.

I agree if you have key injuries it ruins your chances and currently our offense has been the bigger problem as we aren't scoring enough and always falling behind

13 hours ago, csmopar said:

I think we’re talented enough but I do honestly question the HOW we use those talents. At times, it appears we are trying to force players to do certain things as opposed to maximizing their talents, instincts and physical tools. Mainly on Defense. I’m okay with keeping both Ballard and Reich, I think they are doing ok. However, I’ve seen enough of this soft Cover 2 crap of Eberflus’s scheme for my lifetime. Keep the 4-3 but change up the coverage and get way more physical and tighten up the zone

If we are in a 4-3 your outside backers have play fast. Adams and Leonard (right now for sure) lack speed to cover. When we are in our more usual 4-2, we are really exposed. Our safeties and corners have to play highly intelligent, quick reaction football, and tackle really well. 
 We are screwing up the highly intelligent part and leaving guys wide open in 1.5 sec. so they aren't hard to find. You see it i'm sure.
  A great pass rush won't fix that. Flus and our boys Must get their stuff together. Leonard may be running at 90% (it seems) and that isn't getting it done. In the short term only lesser opponents will help us. I hope. 

Again i say, it felt good before the regular season began to be optomistic.
 Yet we have Many, very young players that will require a few years of coaching up and game experience playing together (this helps with mental mistakes) to play well as a unit. So this WAS/IS a learning year. 
 And it is showing. Maybe by the second half of NEXT season our D will be stepping up to be much more solid. Hope is good, right now we have to deal with reality. We have coaches and players that need to do better.
 How can Lewis, Turay, and Banogu all be duds playing for Flus??

• Like 1

Maybe if Reich would shave and comb his hair and put on a dress shirt he might command some respect instead of looking like a bum that just fell out of bed after a three day drunk. Then perhaps show a little emotion like we saw in the Rams game yesterday. BULLETIN: Motivation is part of a coaches job.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Maybe if Reich would shave and comb his hair and put on a dress shirt he might command some respect instead of looking like a bum that just fell out of bed after a three day drunk. Then perhaps show a little emotion like we saw in the Rams game yesterday. BULLETIN: Motivation is part of a coaches job.

What?  Football coaches wear dress shirts?

Reich looks fine.  In fact, he looks about 10 years younger with a beard.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Yes injuries play a part in this team losing. When Ballard throws 100 million to a broke ankle linebacker, but doesn't sign quality backups........ injuries will play a big part all year.
With Nelson and Braden out, and Wentz hurt...when are you thinking they are going to practice together? When the team is 0-7? 
BTW, I do like your optimism though. Its easy to troll when things are going bad.... I know.  

2 hours ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Eh, we weren't in the game against Seattle.  Tennessee didn't get out of hand really, but let's be honest, the defense was not really challenging the Titans when we needed them to get a stop.  I mean they ate up half the 4th quarter in one drive by just ramming it down our throats and getting little dink and dunk passes.  Took up 7:30 and getting nearly 5 yards per play.  Tannehill went 5 for 6 plus a 15 yard scramble (UGH) all the while we are burning up all the timeouts. 

Score might have been close while during that drive, but it was demoralizing and left us only 3 minutes or so to score both a TD, get an onside kick and move the chains once or twice to get within field goal range.  For all intents and purposes, that last Titans drive was the nail in the coffin, but it was death by a thousand cuts.

I think we were in it more with Seattle, but we were definitely out of it earlier than the other. Seattle game I can say was definitely on Reich's situational play calling.

For the titans, I'll say the defense was getting those stops. Two interceptions and the fumble near the goal line were wins for them. By the forth quarter though they were definitely gassed. The offense wasn't sustaining drives and giving them time off the field like they should have. No we wernt getting good pressure on the qb, and our secondary is more than a little suspect, but the defence is making plays. Like last year, if the offense could step up more then, I feel at least, the defense would look alot better than it does.

I hope so because simply from a fans perspective watching bad football is just boring/waste of time of my Sundays.

If we can't beat Mia even with our struggles I'll start watching from my phone and enjoying my Sundays out. No need to sit in my living room watching intently.

• Like 3

QB - I think we have our future QB in Wentz. Given all he's had to endure, he's already shown that he can play well, even while under immense pressure. He's our QB through 2024.

LT - Fisher is looking solid. I think we have the answer at the Left Tackle position.

OG - Our guards are good. I think we are fine here, even with Nelson's injury. We'll improve as we regain health.

C - Kelly seems to always be dealing with some sort of injury and has potential to play well but always plays just average due to health issues.

RT - We are hurting at this position currently. I think with a healthy Braden Smith, our O-line will improve.

Of course, a healthy O-line creates more time for the QB to scan the field and find open receivers as well as create running lanes for the RBs. I expect our offense to improve.

On defense, we just do not have any pass rush and I expect this to be the case throughout the year. We are expecting a rookie (Paye) to lead the way, as we know Turay will not stay healthy, and Banogu just has no juice. Without the pass rush, we will allow opposing teams to have their way passing.

We have regressed as a run stopping unit. We've made some improvements over the past two games, but we are far behind where we were last year in stopping the run.

Long story short: I see potential improvements on offense, but the defense will continue to struggle due to lack on DL and Edge.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KB said:

The team isn't as bad as the whiners and trolls are making it out to be. We've been in all three games with the ball not bouncing our way. The outcome could of been much different if they would of called for the pass interference on Pascal in the 4 quarter. It happens.

The defense isn't as terrible as everyone makes out either. They're making the plays. The offense just isn't capitalizing with TDs. People are even saying DL isn't playing well when he has made plays every game this year. 

Everyone knew this team had deficiencies. Don't know what everyone is acting like the sky is falling or Ballard and Reich should have their heads on pikes.

To be honest, though, the ball did bounce our way 3 times yesterday and the outcome stayed the same.

For the record, I almost threw my drink at the TV for the non-PI call on Pascal.  I agree 100% there.

• Like 1

Things are never as bad as they seem, nor are they as great as you think. That's a very good saying. Conversely, there's another saying that you are who your record says you are.

We're a bad football team right now with a QB who we're still TBD on. 

The other 0-3 teams are teams who've lately been traditional losers, we can claw our way out of it but for me the worry is that 5 years into the Ballard show, we still have expectations of being just an average team rather than a Super Bowl contender.And i see worrying signs in strategy from the GM and the coach.

All said, i've insisted all along that we'll win this division/make the playoffs even if we start 0-5 so i might as well dig in. We do need to get healthy FAST though, and i'm worried that we're going to keep trotting out players who're obviously hurt and it's a problem. We've done it with the O-line this season, we've done it with #53, and we've done it with #2. That's a bad precedent.

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

Just for you King Colt. Reich is showing up to the next game like so....

Suit Madea GIF by BET Plus

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

QB - I think we have our future QB in Wentz. Given all he's had to endure, he's already shown that he can play well, even while under immense pressure. He's our QB through 2024.

LT - Fisher is looking solid. I think we have the answer at the Left Tackle position.

OG - Our guards are good. I think we are fine here, even with Nelson's injury. We'll improve as we regain health.

C - Kelly seems to always be dealing with some sort of injury and has potential to play well but always plays just average due to health issues.

RT - We are hurting at this position currently. I think with a healthy Braden Smith, our O-line will improve.

Of course, a healthy O-line creates more time for the QB to scan the field and find open receivers as well as create running lanes for the RBs. I expect our offense to improve.

On defense, we just do not have any pass rush and I expect this to be the case throughout the year. We are expecting a rookie (Paye) to lead the way, as we know Turay will not stay healthy, and Banogu just has no juice. Without the pass rush, we will allow opposing teams to have their way passing.

We have regressed as a run stopping unit. We've made some improvements over the past two games, but we are far behind where we were last year in stopping the run.

Long story short: I see potential improvements on offense, but the defense will continue to struggle due to lack on DL and Edge.

QB - I don't know. He's better than the absolute crapshow he was last year, but he's also showing the warts that Philly fans bayed about. He needs to quit hanging onto the football, and needs to learn to take the throws in front of him or he'll keep getting blown up and getting hurt and never quite being healthy enough to be a difference maker. And at that point, you aint got a QB if that's what you've got. So, i see potential but also see quite a few red flags.

The line issues you raise are legit. I think we need some health there. I also think the QB is a big X function for good line play and this particular one needs to help his big hogs out.

Defense? This is exactly what they are. Last year they beat up on an easy schedule, and this year they're seeing a hard sked to begin with. They'll miraculously get more dominant as the schedule eases up. The pass rush is performing as expected, you don't get rid of your top 2/3 pass rushers and not see a drop-off when the replacements are rookies. 

3 hours ago, King Colt said:

He's is as monotone as they come.

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

This isn’t blind faith either.  Injuries have decimated the team early, but the team is fairly deep.

Players will get healthy.   Then other teams we play will have injuries, that’s the nature of the game.  

I don’t think they’re as deep.  If the Titans lose Henry or Tannyhill, they’re done.  I think we could survive losing Wentz or Taylor.  

I’m not saying we’ll win the division or make the playoffs.  But with a little luck, it could happen.  

Either way, try to enjoy having football back.  

In general I would concur, and i'm probably one of the bigger "glass is half empty" fans. I still have the expectation that the team will play better and from their reactions it appears the players feel the same. What we dont know is if playing better means the playoffs, certainly the team has put itself in a difficult position for that. After 9 games we'll know if playoffs are still in the realm of possibility, but no need to go Bob Irsay and fire everyone after 3 games. 

3 hours ago, #12. said:

What?  Football coaches wear dress shirts?

Reich looks fine.  In fact, he looks about 10 years younger with a beard.

Well I guess I'm old fashion when coaches not only wore dress shirts but suits and ties. Call it class. 

50 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

Just for you King Colt. Reich is showing up to the next game like so....

Suit Madea GIF by BET Plus

Well if you are a clown then dress like one.

4 hours ago, King Colt said:

Maybe if Reich would shave and comb his hair and put on a dress shirt he might command some respect instead of looking like a bum that just fell out of bed after a three day drunk. Then perhaps show a little emotion like we saw in the Rams game yesterday. BULLETIN: Motivation is part of a coaches 

GQ-Bill-Belichick-092320.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

To be honest, though, the ball did bounce our way 3 times yesterday and the outcome stayed the same.

For the record, I almost threw my drink at the TV for the non-PI call on Pascal.  I agree 100% there.

The announcers on the radio were livid. They said it was similar to what they called on Willis earlier in the game. I almost want to say that the refs wanted them to win. Oh well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flash7 said:

If Wentz is our future we need to treat him as such and rest him. We are just delaying him reaching his ceiling by keeping him hobbled.

• Like 2

What we need to do to get better is , run the ball more and focus on RBs getting touches not wentz. Bench glow for reed , we need to add motions and shifts to off to help identify coverage and setup mismatches. Coaches need to do better every week I watch the player press conferences and every week it’s guys saying we didn’t see this in practice on tape we didn’t know they would do that etx… 

After watching the Tennessee game again, I saw a few plays where we had pressure on Tannehill and he either ran for a big play or threw for one. Sometimes the difference between winning and losing is a broken tackle or a slight move to avoid a tackle.

And if those games were won (instead of lost), not many would be focused on weaknesses or inadequacies. It’s just the way things go. Winning cures a lot.

As far as the rest of the season; who knows? I do believe they can still go 10-7 (or even better, if things go right). 

On 9/27/2021 at 9:29 AM, King Colt said:

Wearing a suit didn't help Mike Nolan.  I'm sure he looked like a million bucks when he hit that unemployment line.