Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When do you sit Wentz, save draft pick

JMichael557

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Or a td

Fair I was wrong, but it wasn’t looking hot before then. Without the incorrect face mask call we kick a FG. We gotta get better in our goal line offense;  play calling is a big part of it. 

23 hours ago, holeymoley99 said:

No Tenn clearly is not a good team, Arizona destroyed them, Seattle who is struggling had them down big and let them back in. They are down both starting WR's  tomorrow vs the Jets, dont be shocked if New York wins that one in a low scoring ugly game.

J-E-T-S

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, StartEason said:

How closely will the number be monitored ?

The Eagles fans have made a snap count tracker App of Carson Wentz .   They are a pretty sick fanbase 

You guys must realize if a healthy Carson Wentz is to be held out to save the pick Frank Reich will be fired.

There is always a scapegoat and that must be expelled.  It's not fair, but it's jut the nature of the game.

Frank is probably praying to get to Week #6 with just a glimmer of hope, to get to a stretch of several winnable 

games at Home.  I feel Week #8 is the point where a "Big" decision is made if a healthy Wentz is still not preforming

well. I should just say not winning,  no need to argue about OL, WR, RB, play calling, lucky bounces, whatever.

If the Colts find a way to win 3 of the next 6 games then I feel a healthy Wentz will not be sat to savage the pick.

There are enough excuses built in with early injury woes, where it can be viewed this was just one of those years.

Of course there is a utility of looking fair with the trade made with the Eagles. 

In the end, most Colts fans will hope the season will turn around, and this topic can just be deleted.

If Colts have no hope of playoffs and have a top 10 pick, then reich would be fired if he didn't keep him under 75%

Wentz is playing well despite a horrible OL.

He's getting healthier.

He's getting more chemistry with pass catchers.

He's the highest graded O player after 4 weeks, while several of our OL are lowest.....

He's not sitting unless he gets injured again or starts tossing INTs all over the place.

• Like 4

I gotta say, if Wentz is healthy, I don't see sitting him.  He seems to be doing just well for us right now.  Like others have stated, (and hopefully it pans out), I think Dayo was our first round draft pick for next season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

If Colts have no hope of playoffs and have a top 10 pick, then reich would be fired if he didn't keep him under 75%

Wonder where you are getting your inside information?

Per PFF, Wentz has zero turnover-worthy plays this year. The INT did not count as he threw the shovel where it was supposed to be. The TE did not get into position. 

Also, the Colts line was rated as the second worst line in the NFL as of last week. That isn’t based on sacks or QB hits, but win rates, etc. 

I think Wentz had 4TD’s/7INT’s at this point last year. He has 5TDs/1INT this year

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, iuswingman said:

Same place StartEason got his inside information ;)

Yes - none of us know what kind of agreement - if any - Irsay has with Reich or Ballard on topics like these.  The only person that matters is what Irsay thinks.  We just don't know at what point Irsay would fire either of them.

All speculation.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, Four2itus said:

The only time you sit a QB....is for injury or poor play. Period. 

Effects on a draft pick has nothing to do with it. 

Agree - if we pulled some crap like that, it would be pretty obvious and no one would ever deal with us in good faith again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Agree - if we pulled some crap like that, it would be pretty obvious and no one would ever deal with us in good faith again.

Some of these comments make no sense.  If Wentz is healthy, he's going to play well - we can already see that.  If he plays well, he's justified the expense and investment.  Staying healthy - is another matter.  But sitting him to keep the draft pick is in bad faith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Smash Mouth said:

Some of these comments make no sense.  If Wentz is healthy, he's going to play well - we can already see that.  If he plays well, he's justified the expense and investment.  Staying healthy - is another matter.  But sitting him to keep the draft pick is in bad faith

I agree. I dont understand this outlook at all.

If Wentz proves himself to be our long term starter, he is worth a 1st and a 3rd, and I have seen nothing to suggest he isnt just that. 

I think I have been more impressed with him than i expected TBH.

He has had virtually zero practice time.

He has been under constant duress.

He has been battling injuries. 

And he has looked pretty good and avoided my largest concern with aquiring him, which was him taking care of the ball.

I know he can make plays. I know he has talent. 

The concern was that he would implode when facing adversity by turning the ball over.

So far, so good.

• Like 6

Folks I will get some disagreement, but we HAVE our QB of the future on the roster........   Get Wentz some protection and some weapons over the next few years and we will have a very good team

Next year, I can see some actual $$ spent on a  player or two to to get this roster over the top

Maybe a difference maker safety , like Adams.

• Like 3

Yep I am liking what we are seeing. It’s fun to have a QB with big play potential again. Just have to get healthy and get him s couple more weapons next year. Once they feel they have the QB they might actually go a get him a big time weapon. Does no use to do that without a QB. I have a feeling Ballard is pretty happy with what he sees from Wentz so far. You can also see how much his team mates really respect him.

22 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Folks I will get some disagreement, but we HAVE our QB of the future on the roster........   Get Wentz some protection and some weapons over the next few years and we will have a very good team

Next year, I can see some actual $$ spent on a  player or two to to get this roster over the top

Maybe a difference maker safety , like Adams.

Wentz has already shown he isn’t 2020 Wentz. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

If Wentz proves himself to be our long term starter, he is worth a 1st and a 3rd, and I have seen nothing to suggest he isnt just that. 

And he has looked pretty good and avoided my largest concern with aquiring him, which was him taking care of the ball.

The concern was that he would implode when facing adversity by turning the ball over.

So far, so good.

He is looking like a good trade so far. 

I have to laugh that Wentz goes for 75% completion and missed two throws because of mechanics and a guy like Zach Hicks is questioning whether he can fix his mechanics. He goes they can be fixed but will they. What  is it with people that have to pick everything apart. What about that 75% completion rate which was supposed to be a very good pass defense.

• Like 1

Just now, Wentzszn said:

I have to laugh that Wentz goes for 75% completion and missed two throws because of mechanics and a guy like Zach Hicks is questioning whether he can fix his mechanics. He goes they can be fixed but will they. What  is it with people that have to pick everything apart. What about that 75% completion rate which was supposed to be a very good pass defense.

Wentz played good Sunday, the only thing he needs to work on is just seeing the field better. Hard to nitpick his play on Sunday, he did have Pittman wide open streaking down the middle one time, just didn't see it. Other than that I have no complaints. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wentz played good Sunday, the only thing he needs to work on is just seeing the field better. Hard to nitpick his play on Sunday, he did have Pittman wide open streaking down the middle one time, just didn't see it. Other than that I have no complaints. 

Like we have discussed before you can look at every play and there will probably be someone open. It all depends on where they are in the progression and if they are still open when it’s their turn. 

I just find picking apart two plays when a guy is 75% and talking about bad mechanics is just dumb. Zach actually said that was Wentz worse game compared to the first two games.  If anyone got that from this game they don’t know football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Like we have discussed before you can look at every play and there will probably be someone open. It all depends on where they are in the progression and if they are still open when it’s their turn. 

I just find picking apart two plays when a guy is 75% and talking about bad mechanics is just dumb. Zach actually said that was Wentz worse game compared to the first two games.  If anyone got that from this game they don’t know football.

Yeah I am not sure what he was watching lol. I thought Wentz played good.

• Like 1

Im not sold hes our QB of the future and tbh I dont really want him to be.  I feel like we will be talking about injures the whole time hes here, partly due to his playing style.  He hasnt really been healthy since the beginning of camp

8 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

We can now be assured that we did not get a broken 2020 Wentz. He is not broken. It’s actually nice to have a QB that can be a playmaker again and extend plays when things break down.

If I had one nitpick, I'd like to see him continue to improve his frequency pushing the ball down the field. His air yrd/attemp is steadily increasing, if you omit his gimp game vs the Titans. I think the more he can trust guys to win in contested catches, the more he will do that. But he's been at least as good as he was pre 2021. Not quite 2017, but we arent asking for that. Bang out the running game and Wentz can take advantage against Defensive looks that respect the run.

• Like 2

I'll be the first to admit I knocked Frank for playing Wentz through the INJ but he is improving and learning to throw first run second...Hopefully the line can limit defenseless sacks so we see Carson Wentz take off. He is making great decisions. His accuracy goes in and out a little, that's why we need Doyle, Cox, Pittman, and Strachan on the field.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BlackTiger said:

Im not sold hes our QB of the future and tbh I dont really want him to be.  I feel like we will be talking about injures the whole time hes here, partly due to his playing style.  He hasnt really been healthy since the beginning of camp

Reich was able to get luck to protect his body better hopefully he can do it for Wentz.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I'll be the first to admit I knocked Frank for playing Wentz through the INJ but he is improving and learning to throw first run second...Hopefully the line can limit defenseless sacks so we see Carson Wentz take off. He is making great decisions. His accuracy goes in and out a little, that's why we need Doyle, Cox, Pittman, and Strachan on the field.

For someone who was against the Wentz trade, CW has exceeded my expectations thus far. He’s shown he can and will play hurt. That’s a leader IMO. Once the the O-Line gets healthy and the Colts get him some more weapons, I think he can and will improve like the 2017 CW. 

The Miami game, is the kind of game you look for from Wentz and the offense to be successful. A balanced attack of run and pass. That’s on Frank. 

• Like 7

One of the biggest things Wentz did this game and it did help the oline was just taking some underneath stuff. He took what was there instead of looking for the big play. He hit so many third and longs this game it was pretty impressive. That last drive to run out the clock was really good.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

So far, so good.

And what a true test he’s been given with our strongest position group (o-line) being decimated, yet he’s still putting us in a position to win. By all accounts, he’s playing great IMHO.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

So far, so good.

A number of posters are saying roughly the same thing, but I think you’ve been it down the best.    

Thanks for doing that.     :thmup:

Best post of the day that I’ve seen so far!   :colts:

• Thanks 1

Playing all these tough teams is a great barometer for Ballard to see where we are at when it comes to competing with the best. As long as Wentz isn’t the issue he will keep playing and ballard will upgrade where needed next year: 

Wentz has never been a turnover machine. Last season was a anomaly.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

If you think about it..... A big step to getting and keeping Carson healthy is a solid running attack,

I DO think that he will need to change his game a little bit

Head first dives are going to get him killed

Tweak the game plan, get some OL health, and tell Carson you dont have to turn every 3rd and long into the most life important thing in the world

I WANT Carson to be our QB the next 10 years!

The guy puts it all out on the field..... a Great leader

• Like 3

13 hours ago, BlackTiger said:

I didn't want him either at 1st but I am giving it a year to see how this thing plays out. He deserves a chance, I have more patience than I used too. If we make the playoffs and he is healthy at the end of the season, I am on board 100%.

• Like 1