Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When do you sit Wentz, save draft pick

JMichael557

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No owner is going to sit a QB he just traded for and is paying millions of dollars to when his team is just starting the season and has a very good chance to make the playoffs.   That is an utterly ridiculous suggestion.  It’s not happening and it shouldn’t.  The owner, GM, and coach should throw in the towel after three games.  Total madness.  Talk about overreacting.  This one wins the prize.

This isn't Madden.  These GM's are real people with long term friendships and associations with each other.  If Ballard were to try to game the compensation of a trade he already made, it would damage the Colt's reputation among the league.  That would be worse than the loss of the 1st round draft pick.  The Colt's and Ballard are men of their word, they will honor the trade they made for Carson Wentz.  We can criticize it after the fact, it's what we do.

3 hours ago, Bluesmith said:

This isn't Madden.  These GM's are real people with long term friendships and associations with each other.  If Ballard were to try to game the compensation of a trade he already made, it would damage the Colt's reputation among the league.  That would be worse than the loss of the 1st round draft pick.  The Colt's and Ballard are men of their word, they will honor the trade they made for Carson Wentz.  We can criticize it after the fact, it's what we do.

No sense in arguing this anymore as everyone is stuck on their opinions. I just don't see for one second if we're clearly out of the playoff picture, with a top 10 pick going to the Eagles, that we just let that happen. Literally a fireable offense lol.

On 9/27/2021 at 3:09 PM, iuswingman said:

I think most people are saying if the ship has already sunk regarding playoffs then it would not be very smart to put Wentz over the 75% snap count threshold.

The 75% snap count could get interesting late in the season if Wentz is out and the number is close. Team will obviously prefer keeping the pick how far will they go. If up big in games with Sam or Eason at the control do you snap the ball early in the play clock to try and get more plays and snaps in those increasing the club's totals for the season which decreases Wentz %, what if team is getting blown out do you again try for the more snaps instead of running it out and accepting the loss ? Do you have players step out of bounds to preserve the clock. How closely will the number be monitored 

How closely will the number be monitored ?

The Eagles fans have made a snap count tracker App of Carson Wentz .   They are a pretty sick fanbase 

You guys must realize if a healthy Carson Wentz is to be held out to save the pick Frank Reich will be fired.

There is always a scapegoat and that must be expelled.  It's not fair, but it's jut the nature of the game.

Frank is probably praying to get to Week #6 with just a glimmer of hope, to get to a stretch of several winnable 

games at Home.  I feel Week #8 is the point where a "Big" decision is made if a healthy Wentz is still not preforming

well. I should just say not winning,  no need to argue about OL, WR, RB, play calling, lucky bounces, whatever.

If the Colts find a way to win 3 of the next 6 games then I feel a healthy Wentz will not be sat to savage the pick.

There are enough excuses built in with early injury woes, where it can be viewed this was just one of those years.

Of course there is a utility of looking fair with the trade made with the Eagles. 

In the end, most Colts fans will hope the season will turn around, and this topic can just be deleted.

If clearly out of the playoff picture and at the 2/3 point of the season.  I mean, if even borderline you stick with it.  Otherwise, take the lumps and premium first.  Some of the takes in here are puzzling.  If Colts are 0-10, seems like there are people in here that would be arguing for Wentz to start and take snaps.  Why?  If Ballard/Reich were pushing Wentz out there at that point Irsay should fire both on the spot for complete malfeasance.

56 minutes ago, SchlicterSZN said:

But.....they aren't.  Lmao

No Tenn clearly is not a good team, Arizona destroyed them, Seattle who is struggling had them down big and let them back in. They are down both starting WR's  tomorrow vs the Jets, dont be shocked if New York wins that one in a low scoring ugly game.

13 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Depending on how Wentz looks on that ankle this weekend I won’t be shocked if he goes on IR after this game.  If he looks like last week and still can’t move and they lose  IR him with the way the oline is injured right now. Then see what you have in the two young QB. 

The two young QBs are behind a guy who isn’t even on the roster on the depth chart.  The Colts aren’t going to turn to them right now because they don’t think either is ready to be back up let alone being a starter and yes you can do serious damage to a QB’s future if you play them before they are ready.  

If something happens to Wentz it’s the Hundley show for better or worse for now.

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

The two young QBs are behind a guy who isn’t even on the roster on the depth chart.  The Colts aren’t going to turn to them right now because they don’t think either is ready to be back up let alone being a starter and yes you can do serious damage to a QB’s future if you play them before they are ready.  

If something happens to Wentz it’s the Hundley show for better or worse for now.

They will if they decide to IR  Wentz. Because at that point they have given up on the season at 0-4. AI tiu have to see what you have in the young kids.

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

They will if they decide to IR  Wentz. Because at that point they have given up on the season at 0-4. AI tiu have to see what you have in the young kids.

No they will still play the QB who they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Also unless he suffers a new injury Wentz isn’t going to IR right now.  By all accounts he’s more healthy this week than last so if they let him play last week he’s going to keep playing again unless he suffers a different injury.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

No they will still play the QB who they feel gives them the best chance to win.

Also unless he suffers a new injury Wentz isn’t going to IR right now.  By all accounts he’s more healthy this week than last so if they let him play last week he’s going to keep playing again unless he suffers a different injury.

I guarantee they won’t go to Hundley. There is no reason to do that at 0-4 and your starting QB on IR. As far as IR for Wentz I was talking more in what if they lose and Wentz still looks wobbly on those ankles. If Wentz looks better and it looks like he is improving of course they wouldn’t.

On 9/26/2021 at 4:49 PM, JMichael557 said:

The biggest mistake would be losing the 1st round pick which may be top 5 or at least top 10. We cannot mess this up.

I balked at first, but add the fact that Wentz is getting killed out there.

We may not have our 1st next year OR Wentz at this rate.

I’m close to the point of not really caring what they do this year.  The mojo is off.

46 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

I balked at first, but add the fact that Wentz is getting killed out there.

We may not have our 1st next year OR Wentz at this rate.

I’m close to the point of not really caring what they do this year.  The mojo is off.

I hear you but, if we somehow pull out a convincing win tomorrow maybe turn this battleship around?

Where is it written that we have to play a regressing QB?  Wentz is on a 6-7 game losing streak.  If he loses to the Brisset lead dolphins then he needs to be benched.  Why do people around here want us to play the fool and continue playing  this guy under the premise that he gives us the best chance to win???  How do you figure when he can’t even win a game???  We have 6 rookies and Jacoby on our schedule.  That should be 7 wins for this team.

Are we supposed to be dumb and gain some hope from Wentz playing to the level of rookies and going life or death vs rookies  and think he’s still good?  Check QBR & QB rating.  The QB’s below Wentz are mostly rookies.  We’re not paying this guy 25m this year and next to play like a rookie.  Might as well let Ehlinger compete against his classmates over a regressing Wentz.  If Wentz can’t beat Jacoby, then he doesn’t give us the best chance at winning anything significant this season.  Beating rookie lead teams isn’t enough for me. 

16 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

By all accounts he’s more healthy this week than last

I think he really should not have played last week.  It took a lot of lucky bounces to keep it somewhat close and we still lost by double digits with hardly any offense 

52 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Where is it written that we have to play a regressing QB?  Wentz is on a 6-7 game losing streak.  If he loses to the Brisset lead dolphins then he needs to be benched.  Why do people around here want us to play the fool and continue playing  this guy under the premise that he gives us the best chance to win???  How do you figure when he can’t even win a game???  We have 6 rookies and Jacoby on our schedule.  That should be 7 wins for this team.

Are we supposed to be dumb and gain some hope from Wentz playing to the level of rookies and going life or death vs rookies  and think he’s still good?  Check QBR & QB rating.  The QB’s below Wentz are mostly rookies.  We’re not paying this guy 25m this year and next to play like a rookie.  Might as well let Ehlinger compete against his classmates over a regressing Wentz.  If Wentz can’t beat Jacoby, then he doesn’t give us the best chance at winning anything significant this season.  Beating rookie lead teams isn’t enough for me. 

I haven't pinned any losses on Wentz specifically yet. That's probably why. Last week wasn't good though, but it's 3 games so far.. and he's hurt. So is his line. This isn't about him yet. And focusing on him is missing a much bigger part of the story.

IF this does become about him and his play and the team still looks like a turd (around week 10 is when this door is open in my mind)- then I'm in on the conversation. I couldn't care less about the Eagles or their annoying fans or the bizarrely obsessive media who literally hates Carson Wentz. If anything, those things get under my skin enough, that I'd actually quite like him to shut those goons up, but at this rate..

54 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Sorry.  It's your take but it makes no sense to me.  Indy is a small market team.  Irsay needs every paid seat he can get into that stadium.  Benching Wentz now will signal a big tank in the making and attendance will plummet.  After four weeks?  Makes no sense.  Especially for Ellinger.  Wentz does give us the best chance to win.  And baring further injury he will be our QB next year as well.  You don't bench Wentz until we are mathematically eliminated at the earliest. That's how owners, GM's and coaches think.  GM's and coaches don't get paid to throw in the towel after four weeks.  Not happening.  Looks like you have given up.  Too bad.  We have a long way to go.  Even if we lose today. 

Now! Sit Wentz now. Our O-line is hurt, all our key players are hurt. We're about to go 0 - 6 more than likely. Throw Eason or whomever in and roll the dice. Why allow Wentz to continue and give up a 1st round pick instead of 2nd round. Now not sure if this is true (I do know a contract you pay attention to "injury contract" as far as money and not full contract. Please correct me if you know otherwise but Colts do have a 1 year out with Wentz. Is there any good college QB's to pick up this year coming in draft that would be instant starters?Shut Down Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

37 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Sorry.  It's your take but it makes no sense to me.  Indy is a small market team.  Irsay needs every paid seat he can get into that stadium.  Benching Wentz now will signal a big tank in the making and attendance will plummet.  After four weeks?  Makes no sense.  Especially for Ellinger.  Wentz does give us the best chance to win.  And baring further injury he will be our QB next year as well.  You don't bench Wentz until we are mathematically eliminated at the earliest. That's how owners, GM's and coaches think.  GM's and coaches don't get paid to throw in the towel after four weeks.  Not happening.  Looks like you have given up.  Too bad.  We have a long way to go.  Even if we lose today. 

It takes a while to learn how to win. If it was easy, everyone would always be winning.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I am very close to giving up on Wentz.  Not on the team and this season though.  In all honesty, even if we lose to Miami, I’d probably let Wentz start vs the Ravens.  Lose that one though and then I’d honestly take a hard look at starting Ehlinger vs the Texans.  Wentz has regressed and is playing like a mediocre QB at best.  And this team is regressing right along with him.  He has to get sharper and beat the Dolphins today if this team is going to get to 10 wins this season. 

Archived