Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When do you sit Wentz, save draft pick

JMichael557

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Tanking would admit failure. Not going to happen.

I think @EastStreet is spot on, with the FO potentially finding a convenient way of putting Wentz on IR to save that 1st Rd pick. 

Which, equates to another bad decision, due to Wentz injury history. IMO Wentz was a cheaper option for a franchise QB, then trading up for a QB. And next years class doesn’t look great. 

Go Colts!

I said Tanking really being sarcastic, I never really want to lose on purpose. I was just using 2011 as an example after we started 0-8 and if we start 0-5 this season, why not Eason? I am not a fan of Eason in believing he can take us anywhere but at 0-5 might as well see if he can play good at all. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

After week 6 if we arent 500..But probably now cause we aint winning anything with these softies...

Should have just drafted Darnold tbh

Luck was coming back, or drafting Darnold, Allen or Lamar would’ve maybe been on the table, with the possibility of a safety. :peek:

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

But he was injured and not the same according to many here. Why play him in meaningless games. Right?

It was meaningless for Brissett, it wouldn’t be for Wentz.

It’s still early, of course.  But unless things significantly improve, we’re probably going to miss the playoffs and get a pretty high draft pick.

It would be stupid to play Wentz beyond 75% of the snaps when there’s no playoffs in the picture….and giving the Eagles a high first-round draft pick for absolutely nothing.

This shouldn’t even be controversial.

2 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

It was meaningless for Brissett, it wouldn’t be for Wentz.

It’s still early, of course.  But unless things significantly improve, we’re probably going to miss the playoffs and get a pretty high draft pick.

It would be stupid to play Wentz beyond 75% of the snaps when there’s no playoffs in the picture….and giving the Eagles a high first-round draft pick for absolutely nothing.

This shouldn’t even be controversial.

It shouldn't be controversial. It will be unfortunately. 

I just hope it isn't controversial with the two people that matter, Reich and Ballard.

3 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Luck was coming back, or drafting Darnold, Allen or Lamar would’ve maybe been on the table, with the possibility of a safety. :peek:

You got me on that..Luck saw the ****show ahead of time and rolled..No way i dont take Jackson though if he falls to us

5 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Same with T.J Watt and Metcalf

54 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

This is the bed we made.  And we have to sleep in it.

Ok, seriously, though.  You play Wentz as long as we have a chance for the playoffs.  And we still have a chance.  No, really.

But if we get to mid-season and we're 2-6?  Oh, yeah.  Shut it down.  There's no reason to give up a 2022 top-10 pick for Wentz.

Let's just hope it doesn't get to that.

Bro you think we’re gonna win 2 games by the halfway point?

I’d like to see us win one :funny:

1 minute ago, DeathByEagle said:

You would be wasting the 1st overall pick since all the QBs coming out this year are trash. Colts would be better off trading out of that pick to gain more picks 

Im sure one will emerge but i like Wentz if he has more than 1 second to throw..

Just now, jvan1973 said:

That's not happening any time soon

Thats another problem

53 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Lets assume we bench Wentz and end up getting 1st overall pick would u draft QB? 

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Absolutely not, at least not at this point. Wentz is a decent QB, probably at least top 20 when healthy and given a decent OL. There is no “next Andrew Luck” (i.e. Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow) in the upcoming draft, so you trade back and use the boatload of picks you get to draft a stud CB, a stud WR, a good LB, and another good pass rusher

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

Absolutely not, at least not at this point. Wentz is a decent QB, probably at least top 20 when healthy and given a decent OL. There is no “next Andrew Luck” (i.e. Trevor Lawrence or Joe Burrow) in the upcoming draft, so you trade back and use the boatload of picks you get to draft a stud CB, a stud WR, a good LB, and another good pass rusher

Change the regime and culture before that.

2 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Maybe suck 2 more years for Archie Manning Jr. 

16 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Tanking would admit failure. Not going to happen.

I think @EastStreet is spot on, with the FO potentially finding a convenient way of putting Wentz on IR to save that 1st Rd pick. 

Which, equates to another bad decision, due to Wentz injury history. IMO Wentz was a cheaper option for a franchise QB, then trading up for a QB. And next years class doesn’t look great. 

Go Colts!

With the contract, have to ride or die through 2022, so next draft really isn't realistic anyway. And who knows what the crop will look like in 23 and 24. Anyone hoping for a new QB for next season is setting themselves up for massive failure lol

2 minutes ago, colts89 said:

It shouldn't be controversial. It will be unfortunately. 

I just hope it isn't controversial with the two people that matter, Reich and Ballard.

And Wentz, too.  They’ll have to convince him that temporarily benching him would be best for the team.  I would hope he’d understand.

FTR, I wouldn’t even think of this option if the playoffs were still likely or even possible.  The clause was as much about his injury history as the possibility that he wasn’t playing at a high level.  But both sides obviously considered the success of the team, too - which is why the threshold is lower if we make the playoffs.

But if we’re going to have a high pick, it would be one of the dumbest moves in NFL history to keep Wentz on the field and give up that pick for no benefit at all.

31 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

You know the draft is about more than just QB's right? This team needs TALENT bottom line. You don't necessarily sit Wentz cause you don't believe in him, you sit him in order to gain ELITE TALENT at any position. Thats why you do what you can do keep the top 10 pick.

Totally agree. We need talent across the board. But I don’t think Reich and Co. will bench a healthy Wentz, even if that’s what the fan base wants.

1 hour ago, coltsfan_canada said:

Lets assume we bench Wentz and end up getting 1st overall pick would u draft QB? 

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Yes absolutely. 

The college season is still young and new QBs will emerge.

If the Colts give away their 1st round top 5 pick to the eagles, we will be hamstrung for the next 5 years.

Wentz is not the answer 

I think it all depends on the health of both Wentz and the OL. If Wentz is limping around and seeing as how the OL isn’t at all healthy I would be in favor of resting Wentz until he is able to run normally, to avoid any additional injury due to lack of protection. 

Lack of protection for Wentz has clearly been the issue for the Colts so far. 

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Wentz isnt the problem ...Considering the circumstances he has done well..He has zero weapons receiver wise, oline has been trash as well as defense..All our players have been overhyped locally..

Reich doesn’t use the talents of his WR. Why go get him more when he doesn’t know how to use the ones he has.

We could have just kept Brissett and accomplished this start or maybe even have a win. (Plus saved money) 

The offensive coordinator can't see that they need to run the ball more? Especially with a semi injured quarterback? 10 carries is not gonna do it for the type of running back that Taylor is...

And this team is not built for the type of play calling from the O coordinator...

1 hour ago, Wentzszn said:

He is hurt right now so they should put him on IR until he is healthy. It gives them a out.

Totally agree.... Maybe they were hoping he aggravated his ankle injuries. Having Wentz in his current non mobile state was a recipe to lose. Jacob Eason could manage the game and get the experience. Even if the result was going to be the same.

Bad call having Wentz out there. But Frank just got paid so WTH

7 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Harbaugh is a damn good coach. Plus they have jackson.

Frankly I think Harbaugh is one of the most underrated coaches in the league.  His name never comes up when people talk about best coaches in the NFL but all he does is win.  I remember when the Colts fired Pagano there was a chance the Ravens might fire Harbaugh that year and I was hoping so bad they would be that dumb because I wanted Irsay to move heaven and earth to get him here.  To me it would have been like when the Bucs fired Dungy, you have a chance to go get a really good coach because another team just ran out of patience but the Ravens made the smart choice and stayed the course.  Honestly I put Harbaugh up there with Reid and Payton behind the Dark Hoody as the best coach in the NFL.  I think that much of him.

Archived