Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When do you sit Wentz, save draft pick


JMichael557
 Share

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, JMichael557 said:

The biggest mistake would be losing the 1st round pick which may be top 5 or at least top 10. We cannot mess this up.

If Wentz is healthy and can play the last thing you want is to bench him. If you do that you might as well cut him in the off season. Which means you gave up a 2nd round pick for nothing. Wentz will lose all confidence in the coaching staff and this team if hes benched to save a draft pick. 

 

Yes im a Eagles fan but Im a Wentz and Frank supporter and want them the Colts to have success. Being a former player myself, it will result in nothing but disaster if he is benched while healthy, esp when its a team effort crap season. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is the bed we made.  And we have to sleep in it.

 

Ok, seriously, though.  You play Wentz as long as we have a chance for the playoffs.  And we still have a chance.  No, really.

But if we get to mid-season and we're 2-6?  Oh, yeah.  Shut it down.  There's no reason to give up a 2022 top-10 pick for Wentz.

 

Let's just hope it doesn't get to that.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, John Hammonds said:

This is the bed we made.  And we have to sleep in it.

 

Ok, seriously, though.  You play Wentz as long as we have a chance for the playoffs.  And we still have a chance.  No, really.

But if we get to mid-season and we're 2-6?  Oh, yeah.  Shut it down.  There's no reason to give up a 2022 top-10 pick for Wentz.

 

Let's just hope it doesn't get to that.

 

Lets assume we bench Wentz and end up getting 1st overall pick would u draft QB? 

 

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

If Wentz is healthy and can play the last thing you want is to bench him. If you do that you might as well cut him in the off season. Which means you gave up a 2nd round pick for nothing. Wentz will lose all confidence in the coaching staff and this team if hes benched to save a draft pick. 

 

Yes im a Eagles fan but Im a Wentz and Frank supporter and want them the Colts to have success. Being a former player myself, it will result in nothing but disaster if he is benched while healthy, esp when its a team effort crap season. 

 

Nah.  If the season is lost, we’re going to need that pick.  It could end up being a high pick and it would be stupid to let it go for nothing in return.

 

Wentz will understand, if it comes to that.  In fact, he might even be in favor of it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

Nah.  If the season is lost, we’re going to need that pick.  It could end up being a high pick and it would be stupid to let it go for nothing in return.

 

Wentz will understand, if it comes to that.  In fact, he might even be in favor of it.

I don't think you understand how competitive people think.     The team still thinks they have a shot at the playoffs,  and they do. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He is hurt right now so they should put him on IR until he is healthy. It gives them a out.

 

Only problem with that is the div is still wide open and Colts are going into the soft part of the sch in this season where if they want the playoffs they need to win these games. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think you understand how competitive people think.     The team still thinks they have a shot at the playoffs,  and they do. 

Only way they make the playoffs is winning the division. Still have to play Buffalo, Baltimore, Tamp Bay, Arizona, San Francisco, New England, Raiders and Tennessee again. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not saying we shut him down right now. But it truly blows my mind that some people think we won't shut him down at the end of the year if we have a top 10 pick. You think Ballard is going to sacrifice a top 10 first round pick out of "respect" for other teams in the league? Insanity. Every single team in the league would do the same.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

He's hurt now, so sit him until he's 100 percent. Should of sat this game.

 

If we have no chance to go to the playoffs, sit him for however many games are needed to reach the percentage at the end of the season. 

 

I think its a two year deal with Wentz, but I really hope the Colts, especially Frank, are not stubborn about getting our 1st rounder back. If it is a high pick in the first, they need it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, DeathByEagle said:

 

Only problem with that is the div is still wide open and Colts are going into the soft part of the sch in this season where if they want the playoffs they need to win these games. 

It’s not wide open. It’s over. TN has a 2.5 game lead.  People just need to face the fact TN is a good team.

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Not saying we shut him down right now. But it truly blows my mind that some people think we won't shut him down at the end of the year if we have a top 10 pick. You think Ballard is going to sacrifice a top 10 first round pick out of "respect" for other teams in the league? Insanity. Every single team in the league would do the same.

If they get late in the year I wouldn’t be shocked if he develops a season ending concussion like Kerry Collins did when it became clear he wasn’t the answer.  Granted it would be for different reasons.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, colts89 said:

He's hurt now, so sit him until he's 100 percent. Should of sat this game.

Apparently, your not familiar with the FO.

 

In 2019, JB hurt his knee and missed 1 game. The Colts were out of the playoff picture and the Colts continued playing Brissett, but he was not the same according to a lot of Colts fans. 
 

Currently, the Colts are not out of the playoff picture (on paper) and will continue playing Wentz, because he does give the Colts the best chance to win. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

Not saying we shut him down right now. But it truly blows my mind that some people think we won't shut him down at the end of the year if we have a top 10 pick. You think Ballard is going to sacrifice a top 10 first round pick out of "respect" for other teams in the league? Insanity. Every single team in the league would do the same.

If you bench a healthy Wentz,  it would look pretty bad to every other GM in the league.   I guess if Ballard doesn't care,   then it's a possibility 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

It’s not wide open. It’s over. TN has a 2.5 game lead.  People just need to face the fact TN is a good team.

It isn't over 3 weeks in.   My goodness.    How did the Bears look today?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If you bench a healthy Wentz,  it would look pretty bad to every other GM in the league.   I guess if Ballard doesn't care,   then it's a possibility 

No he won’t.  Teams sit healthy players at the end of the year all the time because it’s in the best interest of the team sitting them to do so.  Also he won’t be “healthy” he will develop some kind of season ending “injury” out of no where.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's trade next year's first round pick for Brissett. rofl

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

No he won’t.  Teams sit healthy players at the end of the year all the time because it’s in the best interest of the team sitting them to do so.  Also he won’t be “healthy” he will develop some kind of season ending “injury” out of no where.

What? Never...

 

Lol it's crazy how many people will say that NFL GMs dont game the system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

If you bench a healthy Wentz,  it would look pretty bad to every other GM in the league.   I guess if Ballard doesn't care,   then it's a possibility 

Reread what was bolded. He wouldn't be a healthy scratch to the rest of the league. It would likely be sitting to heal nagging injuries etc. And lets be honest with his ankles and the beating he's taken this year, it won't even be a stretch to anyone. haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

It isn't over 3 weeks in.   My goodness.    How did the Bears look today?

That I agree on they aren’t going to do it now unless he just can’t go and if he could go today you might have to cut a body part off for him to not be able to play.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

No he won’t.  Teams sit healthy players at the end of the year all the time because it’s in the best interest of the team sitting them to do so.  Also he won’t be “healthy” he will develop some kind of season ending “injury” out of no where.

Sitting him to not give up a first in  the draft isn't the same as benching other healthy players

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

There’s currently no superstar, 100% guaranteed future starter QB in the upcoming draft… 

 

We will play Wentz as long as he is capable. 

You know the draft is about more than just QB's right? This team needs TALENT bottom line. You don't necessarily sit Wentz cause you don't believe in him, you sit him in order to gain ELITE TALENT at any position. Thats why you do what you can do keep the top 10 pick.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

Apparently, your not familiar with the FO.

 

In 2019, JB hurt his knee and missed 1 game. The Colts were out of the playoff picture and the Colts continued playing Brissett, but he was not the same according to a lot of Colts fans. 
 

Currently, the Colts are not out of the playoff picture (on paper) and will continue playing Wentz, because he does give the Colts the best chance to win. 
 

 

If somehow we get to 0-5, I would say screw it and just play Eason lmao . I am never a fan of tanking and since 1984 the only year I felt like doing so was in 2011 but not until we were 0-8 - I knew the season was over then. We had Luck coming out too so I didn't care. Hey I was for sort of tanking once in my 38 season fandom, I even have my odd moments lmao .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

Sitting him to not give up a first in  the draft isn't the same as benching other healthy players

It’s still the same logic as benching other healthy players.  You are doing it because it’s best for your team.  That’s what GMs are hired to do.  Also the Colts won’t label him as healthy.  They will say he has a season ending injury.  They did it with Kerry Collins in 2011 when it became clear he wasn’t the answer.  Granted it’s different reason but it’s what they would do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think you understand how competitive people think.     The team still thinks they have a shot at the playoffs,  and they do. 

I’m not talking about right now or even in the near future.

 

I’m talking about somewhere around week 12 or so.  If the playoffs are out of the question by then, it would be stupid to continue playing Wentz until he got to the 75% number.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Apparently, your not familiar with the FO.

 

In 2019, JB hurt his knee and missed 1 game. The Colts were out of the playoff picture and the Colts continued playing Brissett, but he was not the same according to a lot of Colts fans. 
 

Currently, the Colts are not out of the playoff picture (on paper) and will continue playing Wentz, because he does give the Colts the best chance to win. 
 

 

Very different situation.  Nothing was riding on JB playing or not playing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If somehow we get to 0-5, I would say screw it and just play Eason lmao . I am never a fan of tanking and since 1984 the only year I felt like doing so was in 2011 but not until we were 0-8 - I knew the season was over then. We had Luck coming out too so I didn't care. Hey I was for sort of tanking once in my 38 season fandom, I even have my odd moments lmao .

Tanking would admit failure. Not going to happen.

 

I think @EastStreet is spot on, with the FO potentially finding a convenient way of putting Wentz on IR to save that 1st Rd pick. 
 

Which, equates to another bad decision, due to Wentz injury history. IMO Wentz was a cheaper option for a franchise QB, then trading up for a QB. And next years class doesn’t look great. 
 

Go Colts!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

After week 6 if we arent 500..But probably now cause we aint winning anything with these softies...

Just now, MPStack said:

Tanking would admit failure. Not going to happen.

 

I think @EastStreet is spot on, with the FO potentially finding a convenient way of putting Wentz on IR to save that 1st Rd pick. 
 

Which, equates to another bad decision, due to Wentz injury history. IMO Wentz was a cheaper option for a franchise QB, then trading up for a QB. And next years class doesn’t look great. 
 

Go Colts!

Should have just drafted Darnold tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, luv_pony_express said:

Very different situation.  Nothing was riding on JB playing or not playing.


But he was injured and not the same according to many here. Why play him in meaningless games. Right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

You know the draft is about more than just QB's right? This team needs TALENT bottom line. You don't necessarily sit Wentz cause you don't believe in him, you sit him in order to gain ELITE TALENT at any position. Thats why you do what you can do keep the top 10 pick.

Who is gonna pick the talent and coach it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Popular Now

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Id like to be clear about a few things.   I’ve never once stated that I think we will win a Super Bowl with Reich.   Not once.   But I think he’s a playoff level HC for now.   He’s only in his 4th year as a HC.  So I expect him to get better.      Think of Andy Reid.   He didn’t win a Super Bowl until roughly his 15th season, maybe more.   People used to call Reid one of the best HC’s to NEVER win a SB.   I’m sure there were plenty of Eagles and Chiefs fans who thought Reid would never win a SB.   But he did.   How about Pete Carroll?   Flamed out in three seasons with the Pats.  Flamed out after one year with the Jets.    Didn’t have a winning season until Y3 in Seattle.   Coaches CAN get better.    I hope Reich gets better.   He does plenty to make me scratch my head.   I’m not blind to his short comings.   I just think it’s silly to think he’s not good or isn’t going to get better.   Will he become good enough to win a SB?   I don’t know?   But I think it’s obvious he’s a playoff level coach.   And for right now, I think that’s good enough, at least for me….   Your mileage may vary….   Sorry this went long….
    • Mathis & Luck (cheap ones)
    • None are true FS material.  Sendejo might be able to handle it temporary. I'd rather have him than Odum back there. If true, we'll need to covert a CB or pick up a true FS FA. Maybe we can trade a player to Philly for Chachere lol
    • 1. Manning (white), Manning (blue), Manning (white with Super Bowl XLI patch), Wayne (blue), Addai (white), Sanders (blue), Luck (blue), Luck (white) 2. Faulk (blue), Manning (blue), James (blue), Harrison (blue), Vanderjagt (blue), Luck (blue), Hilton (blue), Leonard (white), Brissett (blue), Rivers (blue), Wentz (blue), Moore (white), Pascal (blue)
    • I agree, Brett seems best choice as backup today.   Managing a roster is not easy.     There were ways to keep all four this year though.  It just seemed Frank wanted to push Eason out.   Brett could have stayed on PS , once Wentz started to look more healthy. ( even saved as a Covid protection ) Sam could have gone on IR for season, and been a redshirt year.    
  • Members

    • ColtsSouljah

      ColtsSouljah 239

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • IrsaysArmy

      IrsaysArmy 201

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • chad72

      chad72 8,356

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • jeepnkal

      jeepnkal 41

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • luv_pony_express

      luv_pony_express 881

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • John Hammonds

      John Hammonds 1,998

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • dew5150

      dew5150 126

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • FRW

      FRW 152

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 3,401

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shepman

      Shepman 260

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...