Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why did we start Wentz?

AustinnKaine

You could clearly see his mobility was limited. I counted 5 missed throws where the receiver had considerable space. 2 of those would have been TD passes. 

Also, it is well known that throwing starts with your feet. 

Do we seriously lack that much confidence in our backups? We scored 16 points. If a healthy Eason, cannot put up 16 points, why is he on the roster? Why did we let Brissett walk for 3 backups that we can't play? 

Please don't confuse this for a panic thread. I am well aware of the injuries, and what this team was facing before the season even started. I think Reich did a lot better with the play calls this week. 

• Like 7

Exactly. Terrible thinking. You have a situation where you can keep your 1st round pick based on play time. The kid is clearly hurt, yet the Colts trotted him out to take some more pounding. That was not strategic, nothing to be gained from that. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Wentz gives the Colts the best chance to win, that’s why he started. 

Club learned nothing from trotting a hurt Luck out all those years. 

If they miss the playoffs, AND give a high 1st round pick to the Eagles, the GM and coaches need to be thrown in the unemployment line.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Wentz gives the colts the best chance to win at 0 - 3?

With two sprained ankles?

limping on and off the field...

makes sense bud

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Because our Coaching staff is obviously incompetent and had a QB that was less ready for a potential starting position than a practice squad QB as the main backup, and they then remove him as the backup once it actually seems like he'd have to play.......

even though we gave ALL the first team reps in the offseasons to the bad backup qb and a rookie qb that got injured.

I hate to say this because the Colts did this to themselves, but it's the kind of thing Hard Knocks was made for... Reich is digging his grave here with all these failed personnel moves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, coltsfan_canada said:

Why was Mack and Strachan inactive? Hundley Active?

so many things that are confusing.... 

Also is paye injured? Didn't see him either. Although I didn't look at the injury report too thoroughly so maybe he was out. 

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I mean Hundley probably wouldn't have been spectacular, but Wentz wasn't either? 

So where is the logic in starting a 70% Wentz over a 100% backup? 

Giving Wentz 70% is being generous because most of his game is based on mobility. With some of his passes today I noticed he wasn't even planting to make the throw. He played ok but he also was a sitting duck out there taking unnecessary hits this week only to take ANOTHER loss. So is our qb backup situation THAT bad?!!!! If it weren't for the Titan turnovers this game wouldn't have been close.

• Like 1

Just now, bluephantom87 said:

Giving Wentz 70% is being generous because most of his game is based on mobility. With some of his passes today I noticed he wasn't even planting to make the throw. He played ok but he also was a sitting duck out there taking unnecessary hits this week only to take ANOTHER loss. So is our qb backup situation THAT bad?!!!! If it weren't for the Titan turnovers this game wouldn't have been close.

I was trying to play devil's advocate here. 

I really, genuinely do not understand why you start Wentz. People are saying he gave us the best chance to win...? 

How is that being calculated? I'd like to see the math on that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

so many things that are confusing.... 

Also is paye injured? Didn't see him either. Although I didn't look at the injury report too thoroughly so maybe he was out. 

Paye went out in the 1st quarter (or maybe it was early 2nd) with a hammy issue

1 minute ago, bluephantom87 said:

Yeah they say Eason is not very mobile well so is Wentz but I guess Wentz is proven passer and Eason poor fella only with 2 throw out of which one in INT in a must win drive. 

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What is the Over/Under on fire Frank threads or questiong Frank's future, I put it at 2.5. I need 3 come on guys you can do it Betting Season 3 GIF by The Simpsons. I bet the over 

I don't think he needs fired. I just think some of the things he is doing need to be seriously addressed. I feel like he has not been held accountable. However, I really think Frank did fine this week with the play calling. The only thing I really do not understand is why Wentz was ever on the field today. 

Yeah they say Eason is not very mobile well so is Wentz but I guess Wentz is proven passer and Eason poor fella only with 2 throw out of which one in INT in a must win drive. 

I would have been fine with Hundley over Eason. 

7 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I don't think he needs fired. I just think some of the things he is doing need to be seriously addressed. I feel like he has not been held accountable. However, I really think Frank did fine this week with the play calling. The only thing I really do not understand is why Wentz was ever on the field today. 

Eason is a mess he play scared why they knew need try  Wentz. watch eason first game he deer in  the headlights. 

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Wentz gives the colts the best chance to win at 0 - 3?

With two sprained ankles?

limping on and off the field...

makes sense bud

Tell Reich and Ballard Bud!

I’m just reading between the lines. It ain’t rocket science why he started.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, AustinnKaine said:

I feel likes it is same with each era.

During Pagano / Grigs era both were given extension even though how it was rolling over and over even with Luck as QB, and no one held accountable until it was too late.

Similarly now Ballard / Reich era both are given extension and even though we are not doing as good as some of the players getting paid for such as Buckner, Darius, Kelly, Braden, and soon Nelson, and although I like Wentz but feels like no protection for him (either he held the ball too long like Luck or..) we still have no OL for him and also no 1st round pick. 

Lets see if anyone will be held accountable or there is nothing to be held accountable yet maybe us fans are overexaggerating because this team is good just injured.  

I feel likes it is same with each era.

During Pagano / Grigs era both were given extension even though how it was rolling over and over even with Luck as QB, and no one held accountable until it was too late.

Similarly now Ballard / Reich era both are given extension and even though we are not doing as good as some of the players getting paid for such as Buckner, Darius, Kelly, Braden, and soon Nelson, and although I like Wentz but feels like no protection for him (either he held the ball too long like Luck or..) we still have no OL for him and also no 1st round pick. 

Lets see if anyone will be held accountable or there is nothing to be held accountable yet maybe us fans are overexaggerating because this team is good just injured.  

Don’t recall any 0-3 starts in that era. I just don’t know what to think. 

25 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Yes I think the better question is why is a QB who clearly wasn’t even 50% your best chance to win?  That’s one of the hard questions Ballard and Frank should be asked this week by Irsay.

Still though, the Colts were winning up front when they ran with Taylor yet Reich decided to get pass happy.  Again, another question that needs to be answered.  I think Frank is over thinking things when in reality until the other team stops it just keep hitting them with it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I was trying to play devil's advocate here. 

I really, genuinely do not understand why you start Wentz. People are saying he gave us the best chance to win...? 

How is that being calculated? I'd like to see the math on that. 

The backups are really bad. It's easy to understand.

19 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

We started a QB with limited mobility with miss throws, what does that say about our back up QB?

Either he's a bad pick because he wasn't talented enough to play at this level or he hasn't been developed to highlight his strengths and Hundley has been considered BAD long before he joined the Colts but at least he can move.

Funny post game show questioning why the Colts put a CLEARLY hobbled Wentz out there in the first place.

• Like 1