Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Titans Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

2 minutes ago, Les Poulains said:

Pretty vague headline. I'd assume he's saying we've simply paid our own guys and haven't improved through Free Agency, leaving the roster at a standstill. In which case, you couldn't disagree.

Besides signing absolute turnstiles for backup tackles in Tevi and Davenport, the second most baffling thing might have been the T.Y situation, which seemed like Ballard wanted to get rid, but was convinced not to.

When you see how much better we are with a threat like him and how stagnant on offense when we are without, and even just how bad our win/loss record is when he's not playing, it is genuinely unbelievable that we've not targeted a top receiver. 

He might be referring to Wentz to. Too scared to draft a QB so they return to familiar. I am beginning to think there is something to not always paying your own if there is someone better out there.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, krunk said:

I keep leaning this way but he is so defiant about calling the plays himself.

He seems to have too much on his plate when the game is going or he doesn’t have the right people in his ear telling him these things.

On a positive note we have a very good guard in Chris Reed. We didn’t miss a beat.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Let's c. Titans threw the ball 27 times. Colts threw the ball 37 times with a hobbled qb  and ran it 10 times with Taylor who was rolling. I have defended Frank Before, but this was not a good look at all. 

Are you sure you're a Colts fan?  When was the last positive post you have had here? 

I'm frustrated.  To be honest if it wasn't for the dumb mistakes by Titans, that I mean the Turnovers, the Colts would of not had a chance, But The Colts had their chance and blew it.  This team has so many shortcomings at this point it's just unbelievable.  The worst part is that they are probably not gonna make the Playoffs and lose a number 1 pick which will probably be a high pick  because they're gonna keep playing Wentz. I for one am not interested  in jeopardizing  the future of the team with hopes of trying to save a season which at this point may be already be lost. Don't get me wrong, I don't  want to see the Colts tank either.  Like I said, I'm just frustrated. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wentz shouldn’t have been out there.  What’s sad is I really do believe he was the Colts best chance to win.  

This goes back to trying to find a backup that they  trust if this happens. Everyone dragged Jacoby but they could of felt good putting him in this game and getting a win. Maybe if they had a backup they trusted they would of sat him.

Buffalo kills Washington after losing to Pittsburgh, who has looked terrible.  We seemingly played a good Rams team better than Brady and the defending champs.  Kc lost.... TWICE.

Im starting to think the shorter camps, practices, etchas really affected play... especially consistency.

Add to that our new QB with basically no camp, injuries all across the line, etc, and its not that surprising where we are at.

One would suspect that superior coaching and prep would show.

Im not sure what we have.  I expect the OL and DL to show improvement.  Istill like our core. But i think we’re realitically a good DB, pass rusher (may be here),and possibly wr and/or safety away.
I think we’ll show flashes this yeay, im just not sure there will be enuff games left once (and if) the team gets it together. 

for the record, i thought we played “meh” game 1, played much better game 2 , and i havent had the heart to watch today yet.

1 hour ago, WoolMagnet said:

Buffalo kills Washington after losing to Pittsburgh, who has looked terrible.  We seemingly played a good Rams team better than Brady and the defending champs.  Kc lost.... TWICE.

Im starting to think the shorter camps, practices, etchas really affected play... especially consistency.

Add to that our new QB with basically no camp, injuries all across the line, etc, and its not that surprising where we are at.

One would suspect that superior coaching and prep would show.

Im not sure what we have.  I expect the OL and DL to show improvement.  Istill like our core. But i think we’re realitically a good DB, pass rusher (may be here),and possibly wr and/or safety away.
I think we’ll show flashes this yeay, im just not sure there will be enuff games left once (and if) the team gets it together. 

for the record, i thought we played “meh” game 1, played much better game 2 , and i havent had the heart to watch today yet.

The Titans pretty much had their way with the Colts minus three turnovers which made the game look closer than it really was.

3 turnovers and you still lose?  

This redzone offense play calling (and execution) is beyond pathetic. 

One of the trips to the redzone JT was on the sidelines the entire series. Inexcusable. This keeps happening and I don't understand why. HOW DID TAYLOR ONLY HAVE 10 CARRIES??!??? That is asinine. 

Already been saying this since last year, but Reich needs to turn over the play calling that can make in-game adjustments. 

Titans always have great play calling for the situation, and have for a few years. 

Going for the FG (with a kicker that has yet to kick a 50 yd FG) at end with a minute to go when you are down more than 3?? SMH. 

Rock Ya-Sin has really looked good this year at least. 

Kenny Moore was back to his usual great standard of play. 

What happened to this team?  It's all about the O-line.  Once the O-line went south, the team went south.  Over the past few years, when they ran the ball well and protected the defense, the defense looked respectable.  When they didn't, the defense looked like your standard bottom half Colts defense.  It all starts with the O-line.

I'm not sure where you go from here.  Wentz hasn't necessarily been the problem, but I'm not convinced he's your long term solution either, and you have the 1st rounder complicating things.  I'm certain Ballard won't intentionally stiff the Eagles, but Wentz is legitimately hurt.  The guy can't move, and let's be honest, he's not a great pocket, rhythm passer.  I would IR Wentz now, give Hundley a start and play Ehlinger when he returns.

Ballard has to make some hard decisions, decisions that may not be popular with everyone, and he needs to start considering a defensive scheme change.  

11 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I was at the game and haven’t looked at the stats but did Paris catch anything.  Looked like a lot of drops 

I was at the game and haven’t looked at the stats but did Paris catch anything.  Looked like a lot of drops 

There is nothing we could draw up just to get Campbell the ball in space and let him run?  

10 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Why would it be on the will if it went to the strong side?   Leave out no details.  I'm honestly curious 

It wouldn't on those plays.   Is your observation that the edge plays to the weak side are being shut down? 

We don't seem to play a strong side LBer since we only play 2.

7 minutes ago, #12. said:

There is nothing we could draw up just to get Campbell the ball in space and let him run?  

I was saying that last night.  Being honest.  It was my girlfriends first game and she was teasing me saying they lost because #1 couldn’t catch the ball.  I kept saying when the ball is in his hands he can do a lot.  

frustrating

9 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

This goes back to trying to find a backup that they  trust if this happens. Everyone dragged Jacoby but they could of felt good putting him in this game and getting a win. Maybe if they had a backup they trusted they would of sat him.

Jacoby will likely shred the Colts next week.  Eberflus defense is spotty, no consistency and certainly not anything you can count on....

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

Wentz never should of played.

Wentz survived the game and more than likely gave the team the best available effort from the position group- if for no other reason than he didn't turn the ball over.

This take is gaining steam and honestly, I don't get it. I have yet to see any rationality for it that isn't 1000% hindsight and hard feelings over the end result.

Football ain't making a pitching change.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Wentz survived the game and more than likely gave the team the best available effort from the position group- if for no other reason than he didn't turn the ball over.

This take is gaining steam and honestly, I don't get it. I have yet to see any rationality for it that isn't 1000% hindsight and hard feelings over the end result.

Football ain't making a pitching change.

He couldn’t even protect himself. He couldn’t even take a step to the right or left. He had to throw the ball into the ground.  What do we have backup QB for if you can’t trust them to go win a game. Wentz was worse then rivers as far as not being able to move.

25 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

He couldn’t even protect himself. He couldn’t even take a step to the right or left. He had to throw the ball into the ground.  What do we have backup QB for if you can’t trust them to go win a game. Wentz was worse then rivers as far as not being able to move.

And so what? Is he hurt even more now or did he get through the game?

There's other parts of this equation that Bowen's article and this consensus that's emerging are missing in my opinion. Say the Colts sit Wentz, but it's known he could have played and wanted to (to what degree of effectiveness, for the purpose of the hypothetical, we wouldn't know, because he's sitting- did this need laid out? lol).

So Hundley goes out there, sucks (safe bet to be real honest, but there's some disagreement, fine) and the Colts lose the game. What do you think people are saying right now? Easy. "Why didn't they play the guy who can at least throw the ball", or "these backups suck" and so on and so forth.

I get some of the argument but ultimately Wentz was deemed to give the team the best shot to win by the people who are supposed to know. 

13 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The Titans pretty much had their way with the Colts minus three turnovers which made the game look closer than it really was.

I watched first half it last night.

we didnt look as bad as i thought (in 1st half).  We had our chances.

my main take-away is that we were physically manhandled at every position.  The Titans were ready to compete.

Red Zone Oline play and 3rd down defensive Pass rush - Game over! We lack a physical identity.  That is not Ballard - that is on the coaching staff. The players that got paid and should be carrying the team are just not either 100% healthy while playing or cannot stay on the field. Also, agree on Rock - good for him.

18 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Are you sure you're a Colts fan?  When was the last positive post you have had here? 

I loved the Wentz trade. I loved Campbell. I just thought Ballard was over rated ,as was his talent. I hate the defensive  scheme and I think the players they drafted on defense are one dimensional . I have said it numerous times that they would never win a superbowl with this D philosophy. Now the offence. It has no great play makers. It is built around an Oline that is very expensive and hurt. Therefore, the recent struggles on offence. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I loved the Wentz trade. I loved Campbell. I just thought Ballard was over rated ,as was his talent. I hate the defensive  scheme and I think the players they drafted on defense are one dimensional . I have said it numerous times that they would never win a superbowl with this D philosophy. Now the offence. It has no great play makers. It is built around an Oline that is very expensive and hurt. Therefore, the recent struggles on offence. 

You have also said Nelson and Leonard are overrated.    6 all pros between them.

I'm not a fan of the defensive scheme either.   I didn't like it when Dungy was here either.    The dbs play so far off the ball on short down situations.   We have playmakers on this d.  No pass rush is a problem.    I'm not a Ballard apologist,  I think he has done a good job,  but the guys he has drafted early don't seem to fit this d.  We need a Mathis and Freeney .  He hasn't found that yet.   I'm not fond of Frank's red zone offense.  There is plenty I have a problem with.   However,   I don't spend every post on this site acting like I know more than those in the building.   I know I'm just a fan and can't change anything.   I hope for the best.   You can't even give compliments to our best players.   So you're either a troll or you actually think you could do a better job.   Which is it?

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You have also said Nelson and Leonard are overrated.    6 all pros between them.

I'm not a fan of the defensive scheme either.   I didn't like it when Dungy was here either.    The dbs play so far off the ball on short down situations.   We have playmakers on this d.  No pass rush is a problem.    I'm not a Ballard apologist,  I think he has done a good job,  but the guys he has drafted early don't seem to fit this d.  We need a Mathis and Freeney .  He hasn't found that yet.   I'm not fond of Frank's red zone offense.  There is plenty I have a problem with.   However,   I don't spend every post on this site acting like I know more than those in the building.   I know I'm just a fan and can't change anything.   I hope for the best.   You can't even give compliments to our best players.   So you're either a troll or you actually think you could do a better job.   Which is it?

I don't think I said Nelson is overrated. I dont believe paying a guard LT money especially when u line up in shotgun as much as we do. U put  Wentz under center and we play bulldozer football and then maybe I may change my mind. U let Nelson crush players and give the offence and the Oline an identity then maybe yes.  Yea, I  think Leonard is and it is not really bout his rating. I am not just into paying those 2 positions 20 plus million. I was a supporter of Frank. However how do the Titans throw it 28 times and Wentz throws it 37 on hobbled ankles when Taylor is averaging 6 yard per carry and touches it 10 times??? I lost confidence yesterday.

4 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I don't think I said Nelson is overrated. I dont believe paying a guard LT money especially when u line up in shotgun as much as we do. U put  Wentz under center and we play bulldozer football and then maybe I may change my mind. U let Nelson crush players and give the offence and the Oline an identity then maybe yes.  Yea, I  think Leonard is and it is not really bout his rating. I am not just into paying those 2 positions 20 plus million. I was a supporter of Frank. However how do the Titans throw it 28 times and Wentz throws it 37 on hobbled ankles when Taylor is averaging 6 yard per carry and touches it 10 times??? I lost confidence yesterday.

Excellent points I have to admit.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

P.S.  I also remember saying that I would have franchised or traded Leonard. People point to him being a tackling machine. I made the point that he is 215 pounds . I asked people if they thought all that physical contact could have an effect on his body. By that I  meant wear and tear. I would have never paid him 20 million and I think Colts will regret the contract. A 20 million linebacker and a 20 million DT on a very average defence. Buckner's talents will probably have regressed when and if this defence turns the corners. DT's can wear out fast as it is a physical position. 

17 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Probably because we never had the lead.   Teams that are behind tend to run the ball less.   Also,  I'm not defending Frank.   His play calling hasn't been good in the red zone.   

Also,  you have called Nelson overrated.   The fact you still think 3 time all pro Leonard overrated is nonsense 

20 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This is actually the truth.

I'm participating in the feeding frenzy of doom and gloom only to make my consistent point that we are not as talented or close as people have been praising for 2 to 3 years.

The fact is, is that it is early and the extra 17th game sort of makes up for the lack of a preseason, so I expect some teams to look different at the end of the season than in the beginning.  The Colts could be one of those teams (but we're still not a playoff caliber roster, IMO)

22 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Probably because we never had the lead.   Teams that are behind tend to run the ball less.   Also,  I'm not defending Frank.   His play calling hasn't been good in the red zone.   

Also,  you have called Nelson overrated.   The fact you still think 3 time all pro Leonard overrated is nonsense 

I may have. But to me it comes to positional value.

25 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

To me I think Ballard's biggest issue is not  drafting a young qb. I thought when Luck retired, they should have been planning to go high and pick one. No, they lead everyone to believe that Brissett had starting talent. And do u Also remember that Ballard brought him in for an extension? That's when Ballard lost me. Then we go to Rivers who had maybe a year in him. Then they went for Wentz who I was on board with. Does anyone to this day know what was Ballard's plan if Wentz didn't ask for a trade? Do u ever ask yourself that question? We went into the season with the #21 pick and no qb. We knew our LT maybe had a year in him and he retires.  So we draft a defensive  player in the 2nd round who won't do anything for us. I don't trust Ballard's drafting anymore. So we sign Fisher coming off an Achilles. Fisher maybe a stud again but I  don't think people really evaluate Ballard's team building.  P . S. I did like Paye coming out , but I really wanted the corner  the Titans drafted.

Archived