Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Colts at Titans Postgame Thoughts

EastStreet

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

In my opinion, this game was the “kitchen sink” game. This was the game where we throw everything at it, including a Carson Wentz who really should not have been out there, to try and stop the bleeding. And it failed. Badly.

By my count, these players all either have injuries or obtained injuries during the game:

Carson Wentz

Quenton Nelson

Braden Smith

Eric Fisher (heard he was gimpy at the end of the game)

Khari Willis

Rock Ya Sin

Xavier Rhodes

TY Hilton

Kwity Paye

Darius Leonard (clearly still playing hurt, dude looks so bad when he tries to move horizontal)

Jordan Glasgow

And there are others I’m sure I missed.

Rest everyone and anyone who even feels a little sore next week. If we can beat a mediocre Miami team with a mediocre QB, bring everyone back to try and salvage the season against Baltimore. If we lose to that Miami team, play Wentz (when he’s healthy) to roughly 60% of the season and then bench him, assuming of course that we continue to flounder (which would be likely).

Get the high first round pick, draft a freaking cornerback

To me today was a playoff game and we failed considering the opponent and going 0-3. I am not ready to throw in the towel but this was a bad loss.

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

None of the receivers are great at getting separation too. It killed us last year and it’s doing the same this year.

The receivers were much better at getting separation today when compared to last week. The problem today is that our QB was a statue and our OL was Swiss cheese in pass protection. Also, Pittman, Pascal, and PC all had one drop a piece, and Wentz missed Pittman on a wide open TD. That’s where the receiving issues really are

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I missed the game, was this a Wentz failure or a Reich failure?

also, what happened to big Q

Probably a little bit of both. Wentz was more of a statue then rivers. He didn’t even look like he could move in the pocket. Add some Reich’s stale play calling also. Nelson got his ankle rolled up on.

1 minute ago, chickenMan said:

The receivers were much better at getting separation today when compared to last week. The problem today is that our QB was a statue and our OL was Swiss cheese in pass protection. Also, Pittman, Pascal, and PC all had one drop a piece, and Wentz missed Pittman on a wide open TD. That’s where the receiving issues really are

I like Pascal, he is gritty and always gives 100% but today he had a couple of key drops. That hurt. 

1 minute ago, runthepost said:

None of the receivers are great at getting separation too. It killed us last year and it’s doing the same this year.

All 22 showed plenty of separation from several guys last year and the year before. The whole narrative is overblown.

Doyle, as unathletic as he is, had one of the better separation rates for a TE. TY is rarely ever allowed to run a vert. He's doing back shoulders and comebacks which aren't really separation routes. He's turned into a timing one cut guy. 

And again, you have to account for the routes these guys are running, and the Ds coverage.

Next time you watch a game, look how shallow most of our routes are, and how compact Ds get on us. 

I'd be OK with all that if it was just a reaction to OL play and not having time to let plays develop, but we did the same in prior years. 

Need more verts, need more sail routes, need more sideline 50/50, etc.. Just need more diversity instead of the this shallow multiple/multiple stuff.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I like Pascal, he is gritty and always gives 100% but today he had a couple of key drops. That hurt. 

what about the 3 passses that Wentz threw that were uncatchable? To pascal specifically. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What playmakers do we have? He uses Hines a lot and he is our best one IMO. Taylor is our best player so I critisized him for not running him more. TY was a great playmaker a couple years ago, we don't have anyone close to him at WR right now if go by TY's prime.

I wanted to jump in as i've been thinking about this. While I don't think any of the WRs/TEs are elite I think they could do a better job of getting some of them involved.

I do think this team misses TY much more than we realize. With him injured the one receiver who could help give the team big plays is Campbell. In the two games he has played he has just 7 targets. Even when he is targeted i'm not sure it's on plays that take advantage of his speed.

I think MAC is underutilized in general. He only gets a couple targets a game. Considering how the offensive line/running game has been so far I would expect some short completions to MAC.

Along with MAC I think Pittman are both under utilized in the red zone. 

I don't think this team has the pieces for an elite offense but I do think Reich could utilize some of the players better.

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

what about the 3 passses that Wentz threw that were uncatchable? To pascal specifically. 

I counted 4-5 drops today. Add that back in and Wentz was around 65ish %. And some bad missed PIs.

Not bad for a guy wearing cement buckets on his feet and can't plant. 

Pascal normally does better. So does Pitt. Just a bad day all around.

What I don't understand for the life of me is why we didn't run the ball more. Taylor averaged around 8 yards a rush and Hines had a great day plus we used to have some guys named Mack and Wilkins. If you've got a quarterback that can barely walk and you're in the game because of turnovers why not "run the damn ball" remember that??? It's not like we can protect Wentz anyway. 

1 minute ago, tncoltsfan57 said:

What I don't understand for the life of me is why we didn't run the ball more. Taylor averaged around 8 yards a rush and Hines had a great day plus we used to have some guys named Mack and Wilkins. If you've got a quarterback that can barely walk and you're in the game because of turnovers why not "run the damn ball" remember that??? It's not like we can protect Wentz anyway. 

Because Reich cannot run an offense anymore. It’s clear that’s the case. As much as I like Reich as a leader of men, the dude can’t call a game. Period.

Maybe the saddest thing about this game is that the Titans played like crap. Derrick Henry, while still good, was not as dominant as he normally was. Julio and Brown were out for large stretches of the game. Tannehill threw two picks and a Tenn WR fumbled away another ball. 
This was our game to lose, and we lost it. Horrible defensive schemes, poor play on both sides, and ridiculously bad offensive play calling lost us this very winnable game.

24 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Probably a little bit of both. Wentz was more of a statue then rivers. He didn’t even look like he could move in the pocket. Add some Reich’s stale play calling also. Nelson got his ankle rolled up on.

Earlier you said Reichs play calling was on point today

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Hobbled Wentz hurt the passing game today

Redzone offense is putrid

Defense is going to have to score to help

The red one calls is what get me mad . Killing them with run game frank calls 3 strait passes and doing dumb *** gimmick plays . Is it me or do we have no motions on any of our plays 

My "short" thoughts:

1. Wentz shouldn't be playing while in this condition. This was an abomination. 

2. This team is not good(might be bad actually). We took a step back from last year. We should have went with a young QB in the draft, rather than trading for Wentz. This team is not good enough to prop up even healthy Wentz. 

3. Ballard has repeatedly stated he wants to build the team from the inside out... I do NOT agree with that strategy. In the modern NFL it's all about skill players(QB, WR, TE) and stopping the skill players on defense(coverage players, pass disruptors). Even though I do not agree with Ballard's strategy, I see its merit and you can build a good team like this. The problem here is... Ballard's self-professed areas of focus have been pretty bad through 3 games - the DL cannot create pressure and cannot stop the run and the OL has been allowing tons of QB hits, sacks and pressure. In essence- what we are supposed to be good at(DL and OL) and have spent major assets on we are bad at, what we have neglected - we are predictably horrible at(CB, WR).

4. Did I mention - this team is not good. Remember when we were having those discussions about the high value positions all being question marks and unproven youth? Well, predictably, when you rely on so many questions to find their answers in the pool of unproven youngsters, chances are you won't find those answers right away for most of them and for about half of them you won't find those answers even in the long-term.

5. Reich and Ballard should not have the unlimited trust and belief of Colts nation. It's been incredibly hard to criticize them here without the usual suspects and eternal believers throwing snark and passive aggressive emojis. Neither the coach, nor the GM have the resume to secure that type of adoration and trust. In the 5th year of Ballard and 4th of Reich, this team is probably worse than the team they had in 2018. We have no certainty and long-term solutions at the most important positions of football - QB, LT, DE, CB, WR. And the positions we were supposed to be good at are regressing - OL, LB... This is both of their jobs. It's Ballard's job to find good players at those positions. It's Reich's job to coach them and put them in best position to succeed. Both of them are failing. Stop worshipping them and start evaluating realistically what the Colts are putting on the field. 

6. Last year this defense was propped up by uncharacteristically high number of turnovers created in the beginning of the year. As the year went along, those regressed to the mean and with that the defense became worse and worse. This is happening again - the only positive of this defense is their abillity to create turnovers but turnovers are incredibly flukey and noisy. You cannot rely on this as a foundation of your defense. We will continue to get torched throughout the season by most competent offenses in the league and we won't always get 3 turnovers in a game in order to keep the score respectable. This is my expectation.

7. I don't know what I want from this team from now on. I cannot expect them to bench Wentz, even though I think they should until he's in a condition that allows him to not look like deer in headlights every time an opponent jersey flashes in front of his eyes. I think playing Wentz in this condition does nothing for us - I don't think it's competitive advantage, I don't think it's strategic advantage. Part of the purpose of this season was to evaluate Wentz going forward. So what are we learning now? That he looks immobile and panicky when he cannot move and his OL can't protect him? Well, duh! Anyone could have told you that. IMO they need to sit him until he's 100% and try to evaluate him then. Now what's going to happen is - they will play him injured and if he's bad/mediocre you will use the injury to excuse his performance and sell the narrative that we need to wait more time to know what he really is. Oh and in the meantime you are going to lose a relatively high draft pick for the privilege of putting an obviously hobbled and diminished QB in even more of a risk. 

That's it for now... I guess. 

22 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I wanted to jump in as i've been thinking about this. While I don't think any of the WRs/TEs are elite I think they could do a better job of getting some of them involved.

I do think this team misses TY much more than we realize. With him injured the one receiver who could help give the team big plays is Campbell. In the two games he has played he has just 7 targets. Even when he is targeted i'm not sure it's on plays that take advantage of his speed.

I think MAC is underutilized in general. He only gets a couple targets a game. Considering how the offensive line/running game has been so far I would expect some short completions to MAC.

Along with MAC I think Pittman are both under utilized in the red zone. 

I don't think this team has the pieces for an elite offense but I do think Reich could utilize some of the players better.

Why throw up it 37 times with wentz instead of leaning on Taylor and Hines more 

Just now, jbaron04 said:

Why throw up it 37 times with wentz instead of leaning on Taylor and Hines more 

Historically, Franck abandons the run to early when behind. Taylor could have run for a 100+ easy if he had more carries. He got 10 carries and the Titans controlled the clock. Classic Frank ball. 

3 minutes ago, stitches said:

My "short" thoughts:

2. This team is not good(might be bad actually). We took a step back from last year. We should have went with a young QB in the draft, rather than trading for Wentz. This team is not good enough to prop up even healthy Wentz. 

3. Ballard has repeatedly stated he wants to build the team from the inside out... I do NOT agree with that strategy. In the modern NFL it's all about skill players(QB, WR, TE) and stopping the skill players on defense(coverage players, pass disruptors). Even though I do not agree with Ballard's strategy, I see its merit and you can build a good team like this. The problem here is... Ballard's self-professed areas of focus have been pretty bad through 3 games - the DL cannot create pressure and cannot stop the run and the OL has been allowing tons of QB hits, sacks and pressure. In essence- what we are supposed to be good at(DL and OL) and have spent major assets on we are bad at, what we have neglected - we are predictably horrible at(CB, WR).

4. Did I mention - this team is not good. Remember when we were having those discussions about the high value positions all being question marks and unproven youth? Well, predictably, when you rely on so many questions to find their answers in the pool of unproven youngsters, chances are you won't find those answers right away for most of them and for about half of them you won't find those answers even in the long-term.

5. Reich and Ballard should not have the unlimited trust and belief of Colts nation. It's been incredibly hard to criticize them here without the usual suspects and eternal believers throwing snark and passive aggressive emojis. Neither the coach, nor the GM have the resume to secure that type of adoration and trust. In the 5th year of Ballard and 4th of Reich, this team is probably worse than the team they had in 2018. We have no certainty and long-term solutions at the most important positions of football - QB, LT, DE, CB, WR. And the positions we were supposed to be good at are regressing - OL, LB... This is both of their jobs. It's Ballard's job to find good players at those positions. It's Reich's job to coach them and put them in best position to succeed. Both of them are failing. Stop worshipping them and start evaluating realistically what the Colts are putting on the field. 

6. Last year this defense was propped up by uncharacteristically high number of turnovers created in the beginning of the year. As the year went along, those regressed to the mean and with that the defense became worse and worse. This is happening again - the only positive of this defense is their abillity to create turnovers but turnovers are incredibly flukey and noisy. You cannot rely on this as a foundation of your defense. We will continue to get torched throughout the season by most competent offenses in the league. This is my expectation.

7. I don't know what I want from this team from now on. I cannot expect them to bench Wentz, even though I think they should until he's in a condition that allows him to not look like deer in headlights every time an opponent jersey flashes in front of his eyes. I think playing him in this condition does nothing for us - I don't think it's competitive advantage, I don't think it's strategic advantage. Part of the purpose of this season was to evaluate Wentz going forward. So what are we learning now? That he looks immobile and panicky when he cannot move and his OL can't protect him? Well, duh! Anyone could have told you that. IMO they need to sit him until he's 100% and try to evaluate him then. Now what's going to happen is - they will play him injured and if he's bad/mediocre you will use the injury to excuse his performance and sell the narrative that we need to wait more time to know what he really is. Oh and in the meantime you are going to lose a relatively high draft pick for the privilege of putting an obviously hobbled and diminished QB in even more of a risk. 

I agree with most of this. Very well said. My biggest fear is that they will continue to suck but still play an injured Wentz the entire season for literally zero gain, and then throw away our first rounder to the Eagles. That would just be ludicrously stupid, but it’s something this organization would do.

4 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Historically, Franck abandons the run to early when behind. Taylor could have run for a 100+ easy if he had more carries. He got 10 carries and the Titans controlled the clock. Classic Frank ball. 

I’ve never understood this. Yes, you don’t want to go as run heavy when playing behind in the fourth...but you don’t have the QB nor the skill players to entirely abandon the run. I get the impression that Reich abandons the run because it worked when we had Luck, because obviously Luck was a top 5 QB who could win a game with no running game (he did it for 5+ years)....except that Luck is long gone, and TY Hilton is injured, and what we’re left with is an injured Carson Wentz and some very young WR with little experience.

40 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I think the pass to Pittman in the end zone was tipped.  It was on target.

So... from today...

Fisher - noticeably limping

Carson - taped but never left

Nelson - heavily taped, ruled out. ankle not foot

Willis - groin. Wasn't really playing well and had the PI. Not sure when the groin happened.

Paye - ruled out early with hammy

Rock - left with ankle

Did I miss anything?

Just now, EastStreet said:

So... from today...

Fisher - noticeably limping

Carson - taped but never left

Nelson - heavily taped, ruled out. ankle not foot

Willis - groin. Wasn't really playing well and had the PI. Not sure when the groin happened.

Paye - ruled out early with hammy

Rock - left with ankle

Did I miss anything?

Xavier Rhodes was bothered with his calf again. 
Also, while there is nothing super concrete, I would bet money Leonard is playing on a hurt ankle. He looks horrible when he tries to move horizontal on the field. He’s missing that explosiveness he normally has.

4 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Also, while there is nothing super concrete, I would bet money Leonard is playing on a hurt ankle. He looks horrible when he tries to move horizontal on the field. He’s missing that explosiveness he normally has.

We know Leonard is playing in a hurt ankle. That is no secret.

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

My "short" thoughts:

Torn here. He did well under the circumstance. He gave us the best chance to win IMO. Wasn't perfect, but had several drops. His smarts gave us some easy penalty 1Ds. But yes, rough to watch. And I felt for him.... 

With a healthy OL, I think the O will be better than last year. 

The D though was overrated last year, and took a step back though. I figured they would, but a little surprised the big step back in run D. Guess we miss that horrible MIKE and those meh DEs more than thought.... 

I agree on building inside out (to an extent), but Ballard has just missed on his DL for a while, and our new DEs will need to time. 

We should have never let both DEs go at the same time. 

WRs will look better as soon as the OL can protect. Frank doesn't use TEs anyway lol. 

Even our 2nd and 3rd year guys aren't developing as expected. Only Rock has looked good so far this year. Blackmon (better game today though), Willis, and Oke have all taken steps back. Kenny has not looked good either. 

Going to start sending you passive aggressive emojis lol... 

Just fun'n Stitches.

I feel ya. I think the tide is turning a bit. I listened to the post game radio show today, and a few local radio shows from last week, and people are coming out with knives. Don't worry about the snarks here. Same crew were carrying water in 2019 for JB, and how did that work out for them lol. 

6. Last year this defense was propped up by uncharacteristically high number of turnovers created in the beginning of the year. As the year went along, those regressed to the mean and with that the defense became worse and worse. This is happening again - the only positive of this defense is their abillity to create turnovers but turnovers are incredibly flukey and noisy. You cannot rely on this as a foundation of your defense. We will continue to get torched throughout the season by most competent offenses in the league and we won't always get 3 turnovers in a game in order to keep the score respectable. This is my expectation.

big yup

7. I don't know what I want from this team from now on. I cannot expect them to bench Wentz, even though I think they should until he's in a condition that allows him to not look like deer in headlights every time an opponent jersey flashes in front of his eyes. I think playing Wentz in this condition does nothing for us - I don't think it's competitive advantage, I don't think it's strategic advantage. Part of the purpose of this season was to evaluate Wentz going forward. So what are we learning now? That he looks immobile and panicky when he cannot move and his OL can't protect him? Well, duh! Anyone could have told you that. IMO they need to sit him until he's 100% and try to evaluate him then. Now what's going to happen is - they will play him injured and if he's bad/mediocre you will use the injury to excuse his performance and sell the narrative that we need to wait more time to know what he really is. Oh and in the meantime you are going to lose a relatively high draft pick for the privilege of putting an obviously hobbled and diminished QB in even more of a risk. 

At some point, I agree with the above. Not sure that point is now. I'd definitely sit Wentz vs the Dolphins and let him get right for the Monday night game with Baltimore. We should be able to win that game with Eason or Hundley with a conservative game plan. Not scared of JB beating us unless Flus goes ultra soft and JB pulls a Minshew. 

If we're 0-5, which is a real possibility, then IMO you do whatever to get guys healthy for next season. IR and clean up surgeries for several guys. Leonard likely needs another clean up on his ankle. Nelson likely needs a back snip. Who knows what Carson needs. But I'm not playing all those hobbled dudes if we're out of the picture at 0-5

22 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Yup. Leonard is a given.

Didn't catch that on Rhodes. Did he leave?

24 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

He will need to be replaced in 2022. 

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Torn here. He did well under the circumstance. He gave us the best chance to win IMO. Wasn't perfect, but had several drops. His smarts gave us some easy penalty 1Ds. But yes, rough to watch. And I felt for him.... 

Under the circumstances he had a spirited performance. But if he wasn't injured we'd be panicking about what he's showing. We will not win many games with Wentz playing like this. This is purely competitiveness-wise. Let alone the risks you put your 100M dollard, multiple high picks investment in. 

With a healthy OL, I think the O will be better than last year. 

The D though was overrated last year, and took a step back though. I figured they would, but a little surprised the big step back in run D. Guess we miss that horrible MIKE and those meh DEs more than thought.... 

I'm still not sure this is a good offense. We have no weapons in the pass-game besides... Hines? He's probably the only player who is above average at his position as a pass-catcher and playmaker. Add the tons and veriety of questions about Wentz and... I'm not sure this O is better than last year. 

I agree on building inside out (to an extent), but Ballard has just missed on his DL for a while, and our new DEs will need to time. 

We should have never let both DEs go at the same time. 

About the DEs, yep... they might not have been amazing, but they were providing a base level of performance. Now that Paye is injured, I don't think we have a single edge rusher that can provide that. None of the rest are starting level players... even low level starters. 

WRs will look better as soon as the OL can protect. Frank doesn't use TEs anyway lol. 

Even our 2nd and 3rd year guys aren't developing as expected. Only Rock has looked good so far this year. Blackmon (better game today though), Willis, and Oke have all taken steps back. Kenny has not looked good either. 

Yep...

Going to start sending you passive aggressive emojis lol... 

Just fun'n Stitches.

:poke:

I feel ya. I think the tide is turning a bit. I listened to the post game radio show today, and a few local radio shows from last week, and people are coming out with knives. Don't worry about the snarks here. Same crew were carrying water in 2019 for JB, and how did that work out for them lol. 

The thing is... I don't even like being negative about Ballard and Reich. I like both of them. I just want them to be better. 

big yup

At some point, I agree with the above. Not sure that point is now. I'd definitely sit Wentz vs the Dolphins and let him get right for the Monday night game with Baltimore. We should be able to win that game with Eason or Hundley with a conservative game plan. Not scared of JB beating us unless Flus goes ultra soft and JB pulls a Minshew. 

Ehlinger should be returning soon I think. I feel like Reich trusts him more than Eason. 

If we're 0-5, which is a real possibility, then IMO you do whatever to get guys healthy for next season. IR and clean up surgeries for several guys. Leonard likely needs another clean up on his ankle. Nelson likely needs a back snip. Who knows what Carson needs. But I'm not playing all those hobbled dudes if we're out of the picture at 0-5

I don't think they do it. Until we have even theoretical chance they will continue trying. Plus, watch what's happening at 0-3... can you imagine what would happen if we went 0-5 or even.... 0-7 with a loss to the Texans? IMO they will play for wins very deep into the season even if it's perfectly clear we are going nowhere fast. IMO they won't bench anyone if they can play. 

Wow Leonard’s press conference was full of profanities that had to be bleeped. 

In the broadcast they talked about how Hundley was called up to backup Wentz and how Eason handled it. They said they needed a veteran. Ok then why is Eason the backup then.m when Wentz could of went down anytime in the first two games. Talk about killing that kids confidence. This organization is making so many weird decisions.

Archived