Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to make some changes? (merge)

Thunderbolt

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There you go with that fact and logic stuff again. Keep it up, and you'll get more snarky emojis! 

DON'T make me hurt your feelings again!

In all seriousness, you're spot on. So many people have zero clue about what Grigs actually did from year to year. They just hitched the horse to the new shiny toy. Hell even I struggle to remember the moves Grigs made his early years, and all the guys he lost his first year. I know in 2012 they lost Garcon, Dallas, Manning, Adai, Saturday, Tamme, etc.. Lots of turnover in his first year and he did just fine.

Grigson's major problem was hubris. This happens more often than you'd think. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ballard is average, Reich is average, the Colts are average.  Been saying this for a couple years...this is a fringe playoff team when everyone is healthy.  Capable of going on a winning streak that takes us into the playoffs, also a losing streak to legitimate playoff teams. We haven’t been blown out these first three games against good teams which is a bit of a silver lining. We will look better against worse competition as the season goes along. Just good enough Reich and Ballard will be ok. 

I honestly do not like our coaching staff. Reich is not a good coach but he isn’t a bad one. Just average like the rest of the staff. We will ride this year out, make a coordinator change next year and a few position coaches then get similar results.  Everybody better buckle up bc we have two years of this before Reich is shown the door.  Wentz will be kept on by the new coach to bridge the transition to a new QB and we will start the next rebuild but this time without a bare roster bc some talent is here. 

1 minute ago, CoachLite said:

Grigson's major problem was hubris. This happens more often than you'd think. It's called the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

I mean I never liked his personality. He was a jerky... But I don't care about GM personality if it comes with wins. There are lots of very big over confident jerks that are successful, and a lot of nice humble guys that fail. It's just best not to fall in love with personality lol.... I fall in love with winning. That's step one. If they have a good personality, I fall deeper in love and get married.

:banana:

Just now, EastStreet said:

I mean I never liked his personality. He was a jerky... But I don't care about GM personality if it comes with wins. There are lots of very big over confident jerks that are successful, and a lot of nice humble guys that fail. It's just best not to fall in love with personality lol.... I fall in love with winning. That's step one. If they have a good personality, I fall deeper in love and get married.

:banana:

You will become known as Easy EastStreet if you're not careful.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

There you go with that fact and logic stuff again. Keep it up, and you'll get more snarky emojis! 

DON'T make me hurt your feelings again!

In all seriousness, you're spot on. So many people have zero clue about what Grigs actually did from year to year. They just hitched the horse to the new shiny toy. Hell even I struggle to remember the moves Grigs made his early years, and all the guys he lost his first year. I know in 2012 they lost Garcon, Dallas, Manning, Adai, Saturday, Tamme, etc.. Lots of turnover in his first year and he did just fine.

He was Executive of Year, because he did some good things for the organization.

Here’s a good story about Grigson’s and his thoughts after being fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/indianapolis-colts-ryan-grigson-general-manager-nfl-draft-picks/l4q0qgl10yu21lu2rn5o5c5n1

Very informative post. So far I learned Grigson was a good GM because he had a good record his first 3 years, Luck was OK QB but not that great and Ballard is a bad GM inspite of being voted by his peers to be one of the better GMs.Oh, and  we're in cap trouble. Sure I missed a few as I didn't read entire post as I may have want to slash my wrists this team and FO is so bad. Guess this season is in the toilet.

1 hour ago, ManningGM said:

If this team can’t come out with a single dub after playing three playoff contenders, then how do they expect to beat anybody in the postseason? Lol.

Again you have a QB that didnt play in the preseason and was barely even in camp. It takes time to start to gel. They are pretty much in there preseason stage right now. You will know by mid point what this team really is. Too early to see what it is right now.

15 minutes ago, MPStack said:

He was Executive of Year, because he did some good things for the organization.

Here’s a good story about Grigson’s and his thoughts after being fired.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportingnews.com/us/amp/nfl/news/indianapolis-colts-ryan-grigson-general-manager-nfl-draft-picks/l4q0qgl10yu21lu2rn5o5c5n1

It sucks because in sports everything's good until it isn't. Thanks for that, interesting read.

I just don't want yet another regime change after being one of the most steady org's for years.

As soon as players kind of tune out on the coaching and your GM misses on a few picks things start to bubble up.

I'm a homer at heart, but always know what I'm really watching. We're in a tough spot where important picks aren't developing, our most important guys are all injured, our coach is very on/off. 

Hard for us fans to really know, that's why I try to stay on the homer side of things. Is it Ballard/Reich/Position Coaches, philosophy from the top? That's a lot to digest for me as a fan.

Hopefully the Shoe figures itself out soon.

The thing that is irking me the most is all these stupid slogans the plates keep posting and Reich keeps rambling about. They are just words. Seems they are starting to not work anymore/ Franklin posted one tonight and I just had to laugh. This is why I appreciated Leonard’s profanity filled presser. Even Hines slit out some profanity.,

1 minute ago, Wentzszn said:

The thing that is irking me the most is all these stupid slogans the plates keep posting and Reich keeps rambling about. They are just words. Seems they are starting to not work anymore/ Franklin posted one tonight and I just had to laugh. This is why I appreciated Leonard’s profanity filled presser. Even Hines slit out some profanity.,

For sure,  profanity equals wins.   

4 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

All coaches do that.  It’s called coach speak.  It’s a way to talk to the media without throwing people under the bus and ticking off your locker room so they won’t listen to you.

4 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

Once in a Generational talented QB?

I know still a lot of people reading into his hype coming out of college But

He wasn't even the best QB  in his draft class.

Luck was a good, mostly above average QB that was capable of playing at a high and even elite level at times. Other times not so much. He had all the physical tools but lacked  the mentality and cerebral toughness and passion to be great at his profession.  

Case in point, Jay Cutler, known as a 'turnover machine. In a 2 year span(I think lucks 3rd & 4th season) Luck turned the ball over more than Cutler despite playing about a half dozen games fewer than Cutler.  

That I think was just a lack of preparation and love of the game. Do I think luck was good?, Yeah. Do I wish we still had him? Absolutely. 

I just don't agree that he was great or the narrative that Griggs broke him. 

LJ I am with you on most things.  But a hard disagree with you on this one.  The interior of Luck’s lines were so bad we spent an 18th pick on a friggin C and a 6th pick on a guard.

Luck made a bad team look good.  He did a lot with very little.

I don’t agree at all with the mental toughness and desire thing,  dude played his friggin guts out.

57 minutes ago, Nickster said:

LJ I am with you on most things.  But a hard disagree with you on this one.  The interior of Luck’s lines were so bad we spent an 18th pick on a friggin C and a 6th pick on a guard.

I don’t agree at all with the mental toughness and desire thing,  dude played his friggin guts out.

It's ok to disagree. 

And I also am with you on most. 

1 hour ago, Nickster said:

Well…..   knock me over with a feather?!   

You and I find an area of agreement. 

Thank you. 

We can go back to disagreeing….  Tomorrow. 

:hat:

9 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

It's week 3, Colts lost to 3 very good teams, all playoff teams last year. Not to forget there is a new QB who is not 100% healthy and ran maybe 1 week of practice during the off season. 

There i going to be growing pains. Maybe come back to this around mid season.  

We were a playoff team too. Yeah what a surprise Wentz isn't healthy. It's almost like that wasn't the whole theme with Wentz before we traded for him. Why the need to panic trade for a QB? If there was nothing good available for us just go into the season with what you got and at least u can look forward to a top draft pick if we're not good. Instead now we won't have a 1st rounder that could very well be a top 3 pick and we still suck regardless with our new QB. 

Reichs playcalling is a joke. Ballard can't seem to draft a franchise caliber QB, edge rusher, WR, or CB. Some of the most important positions in football, so we go and give them 4yr extensions lol it could be a long road ahead for the Colts if a miracle doesn't fall into our laps.

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I love the excuse. They lost to 3 play off team. Well are not the Colts suppose to be CONTENDERS? Also if u really watched the games. They really got beat worse then the scores have showed 

We lost against every single AFC playoff team we met last year(TEN, CLE, BAL, BUF, PIT) 1-5. Now we've lost 3 against supposed playoff teams to start the season. What does that tell us? It tells us we are not competitive against the best teams. It tells us this team is nowhere close to ready to compete at the highest level. 

29 minutes ago, stitches said:

We lost against every single AFC playoff team we met last year(TEN, CLE, BAL, BUF, PIT) 1-5. Now we've lost 3 against supposed playoff teams to start the season. What does that tell us? It tells us we are not competitive against the best teams. It tells us this team is nowhere close to ready to compete at the highest level. 

I agree stitches. That record last year and the 0-3 this years says it all. I think this team just doesn't have the high level playmakers at the premium positions to compete against playoff calibre teams. The start of this season has to have been a reality check for Ballard.

10 hours ago, Wentzszn said:

Thinking about where they have money infested. They really didn’t miss Q. Chris Reed played pretty good. So spending that high of draft capital on a guard has to be looked at.

You say that about half of a football game? Wait until Q is out for half a season. I think you'll be saying differently...

• Nadine changed the title to Is it time to make some changes? (merge)
4 hours ago, stitches said:

Finally!! Even though I have noticed that you are coming around more a bit lately. I for one am happy to see that you, one of the seemingly trusted posters/responders on here, are stating the obvious that I for one have been stating for a few years now. We are NOT competitive with the cream of the crop. The age old excuse of losing to good teams as a reason for losing is stagnant and wearing thin. Losing to good teams means you are not good. Simple as that. Again, thank you! Here's hoping you find a warmer reception than I and some others on here normally do when TRUTH is told. -Peace

6 hours ago, stitches said:

And why aren’t we competitive against the best teams?  I would dare say it’s coaching.  Sure we had some key injuries to deal with at the start of the season but we have a large group of very skilled players on our team.  I think our coaching is letting us down.  IMO Flus is not a good DC and Reich should have given up the play calling a long time ago.  Rating them average is being nice.  I think we have the talent to compete and make the playoffs but advancing is going to take good coaching and strategizing.  I don’t have the confidence our coaches are up to the task.  There is still time to right the ship and make a run but I fear the coaching is our Achilles heel more so than the players.

7 hours ago, Stoney said:

We were a playoff team too. Yeah what a surprise Wentz isn't healthy. It's almost like that wasn't the whole theme with Wentz before we traded for him. Why the need to panic trade for a QB? If there was nothing good available for us just go into the season with what you got and at least u can look forward to a top draft pick if we're not good. Instead now we won't have a 1st rounder that could very well be a top 3 pick and we still suck regardless with our new QB. 

Reichs playcalling is a joke. Ballard can't seem to draft a franchise caliber QB, edge rusher, WR, or CB. Some of the most important positions in football, so we go and give them 4yr extensions lol it could be a long road ahead for the Colts if a miracle doesn't fall into our laps.

Paye is not 100 percent the other edge rusher is yet to play. He hasn't picked a QB high yet, no first round wr in Ballard error either, Pittman will be fine Campbell probably won't. Nobody to replace Hilton on roster

Just now, richard pallo said:

And why aren’t we competitive against the best teams?  I would dare say it’s coaching.  Sure we had some key injuries to deal with at the start of the season but we have a large group of very skilled players on our team.  I think our coaching is letting us down.  IMO Flus is not a good DC and Reich should have given up the play calling a long time ago.  Rating them average is being nice.  I think we have the talent to compete and make the playoffs but advancing is going to take good coaching and strategizing.  I don’t have the confidence our coaches are up to the task.  There is still time to right the ship and make a run but I fear the coaching is our Achilles heel more so than the players.

IMO it's both coaching/playcalling and talent(or lack thereof). It's interesting because one of the main reasons I wanted Pagano gone was because I never felt like we have the coaching advantage in any matchup of importance. And even though I like Reich and think he's better coach than Pagano, I'm kind of feeling the same way now. When is the last time we felt like we have coaching/playcalling advantage against a good team? How many games do we come out of a game and I'm thinking... well this opposing coach surely coached circles around Reich today? It's happening pretty regularly. 

At the same time we do lack talent and offensive playmakers. (part of it BTW is on Reich himself - Ballard surely seems to give him some say in who we draft for example - Campbell and Granson seem like Reich picks to me from the content they've released... it just looked like he wanted both of them desperately). 

So... I guess... I will go with..."it's complicated"

2 hours ago, Indeee said:

Finally!! Even though I have noticed that you are coming around more a bit lately. I for one am happy to see that you, one of the seemingly trusted posters/responders on here, are stating the obvious that I for one have been stating for a few years now. We are NOT competitive with the cream of the crop. The age old excuse of losing to good teams as a reason for losing is stagnant and wearing thin. Losing to good teams means you are not good. Simple as that. Again, thank you! Here's hoping you find a warmer reception than I and some others on here normally do when TRUTH is told. -Peace

I think it's important to be patient with GMs and coaches when you have trust in them. Ballard started his tenure here at a pretty low level of the roster and he did receive some horrible strikes of misfortune... so I was willing to wait for him to get the house in order. To some extend he's done it. I think he's built a solid roster with several foundational pieces and we have youth that could get better. But at the same time, at some point he has to start hitting at the most important positions in football. At some point "solid" needs to become "great"... if we want to have any sort of SB ambitions. Otherwise we will continue hovering around .500 depending on luck and schedule and if we get to the playoffs we'd be an easy out for the better teams because there is no team in the playoffs with worse talent at those most important positions in football. 

Similar with Reich... I've been sounding the alarm on Reich's conservative tendencies since the end of 2018, actually, when he was having weird statements in front of the media that told me he has some views about the game that go against modern day advancements in football. And his playcalling has shown that too. Incredibly conservative on early downs, very predictable in situational football, no rhythm to his offensive playcalling. Pretty much this offense has looked best in 2 situations - hurry up and pre-planned scripted plays in the first quarter of games - i.e. situations where he either has very little say in or has had a week time to prepare for and script. When it comes to his natural feel for the playcalling and thinking on his feet during games, I simply don't trust him... which is  shame because he seems to be a good guy and has overall good relationship with the players... but we were saying the exact same things about Pagano too. It's part of the job... but it's not the most important part. 

15 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

...Fans calling professional football players soft from behind a keyboard. yikes.

The money we pay to support this league, this team, through whatever means, goes in part to their salary. Their millions of dollars. If they want to get payed, they better earn it or face the music. Just like in any other job situation.

5 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

Criticizing means we care. We want better than what we're getting. That doesn't mean we're not cheering for our guys every sunday. We're just not blind fanboys like so many on this forum.

I’m not taking about criticism. That has been well earned and deserved.

my bandwagon meme applies to those posters who NEVER show up on this forum unless the team is losing and demand people be cut or fire. The same ones that never show up when the team is winning to discuss anything.

I think someone else needs to take over play calling.  How does Taylor only get 10 carries, in a game where you are having success running the ball, are way behind in time of possession, and have an injured QB with limited mobility.

Also, we need to shuffle the WR depth chart, nobody besides Pittman seems to be getting open.  During training camp we thought we had depth for days.  I am ready to see someone prove they belong.

Archived