Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is it time to make some changes? (merge)

Thunderbolt

4 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Here is what needs to be done to turn this organization around:

Fire Ballard and hire jshipp23 as our new GM

Fire Reich and hire Wentzszn as our new HC

Hey...I can see the talent..last few years i havent looked at prospects nearly as much and haven't been on that much, but when you really really look at it and think about it Ballard has missed a ton! And done virtually nothing in FA

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

The answer at this point is "I don't know"

I didn't like Grigson at the end, but there were times I was OK with him. His first 3 years I was fine or even liked him. His 4th year I gave him a pass with Luck's snowboard year. I was done with in 2016... 

I had a much higher opinion of Ballard's drafting a few years ago, compared to right now. 

No telling how I will feel about Ballard at the end of the season or next year. 

Just being real... 

He had a lot of bad luck with oline injuries..Neither were good but not gonna throw grigson under the bus we got to afc championship with him and pagano..And i pagano was better than Reich and thats hard to say..At least they PLAYED for Pagano..They act like they don't care with Reich..Just an observation..

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I didn't like Grigson at the end, but there were times I was OK with him. His first 3 years I was fine or even liked him. His 4th year I gave him a pass with Luck's snowboard year. I was done with in 2016... 

I had a much higher opinion of Ballard's drafting a few years ago, compared to right now. 

Just being real... 

Exactly...Now he has resume and when you look at resume relatively not that hot now..All the excuses about QB we invested heavily in both lines so should be able to win without top 5 qb...But lines have been dominated this year? What r we investing in or drafting? Every year its injury or QB excuse..Every team has injuries...

10 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just being real... 

Fair enough but I still think you are under valuing he had Luck his first 3 years. I think Ballard is better eventhough the W/L doesn't show it. This season just sucks so far so a lot of things are hard to defend with facts.

3 hours ago, DeathByEagle said:

It's week 3, Colts lost to 3 very good teams, all playoff teams last year. Not to forget there is a new QB who is not 100% healthy and ran maybe 1 week of practice during the off season. 

There i going to be growing pains. Maybe come back to this around mid season.  

If this team can’t come out with a single dub after playing three playoff contenders, then how do they expect to beat anybody in the postseason? Lol.

Love to see people coming around to what I have been saying for a couple of years now. When people called this the most well rounded roster in football, what they actually meant was the most average roster. A majority of this roster could be described in scout talk as “JAG” or JAG Plus”. All of the money is invested in positions where you can get by with replacement level players. Ballard has his fair share of draft whiffs and Frank has largely been fired from every coaching job he’s had except for Philly. Also, ripping your team and holding them accountable doesn’t make you a bandwagon fan. It makes you a realist who isn’t afraid to speak the truth. I’m sick of hearing Ballard be hailed as a genius when he’s 32-37. 

2 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I would love to go pick a OC off the mcvay coaching tree or that staff. They are so fun to watch.

We need to start looking at the dline coach and ask is it the coach or players why we don’t have a pass rush.

You would think with all those 2nd round picks he would hit on one by accident by now..smh

54 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Lame colts fan alert...good grief

No offense, but I could have said this about all of your over-reactionary posts today. And there were A LOT of them…

You need to vent after a loss? Cool.

But spending hours and HOURS bashing everything Colts… that’s all you’ve been doing since the game ended.  At this point, you’re just saying the same thing over and over.  I know you have better things to do. Go do them.

If the Colts had picked the best player available in the positions of most need over the last 4 years, the roster would look a lot different than this. The left tackle is indy's only rock star. He is the only athlete on this team that could start elsewhere.

And now he is out for how long? Note: Titan's turn the ball over 3 times today and the Colts still lost. take those turnovers away and the Colts get blown out. 

22 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

I don't agree with that narrative.  They won because they were good. I hated Griggs like most, he was hateful, arrogant etc.....and outside of first couple seasons he wasn't very good. But he was successful in his first couple...... and Ballard has not been so far.

It’s a narrative that just defies logic. Luck was my favorite player of all time…but his overall performance wasn’t exactly incredible those first 3 years. Those teams also beat other good teams. Not to mention his playoff stat line was really meh.

I didn’t like Grigson, but he must have done something that wasn’t terrible to get the results they got.

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

No offense, but I could have said this about all of your over-reactionary posts today. And there were A LOT of them…

But spending hours and HOURS bashing everything Colts… that’s all you’ve been doing since the game ended.  At this point, you’re just saying the same thing over and over.  I know you have better things to do. Go do them.

stoner bashing time GIF by Eric

5 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

We are 0-3...Been 5 years? When are we gonna be good? Teams win with avg qbs and i think Wentz is better than avg ...We have invested heavily in both lines in draft and salary and we get dogwalked 1st 3 weeks? Should i be happy or hopeful? Now we are in cap trouble as well....smh

3 minutes ago, ojsglove said:

Other then Wentz, Taylor, and Hines, This team is soft, on both sides of ball.  Frank might be a great guy, but he is not head coaching material.  Grigson, don't get me started on that phoney. 

Thats my observation too...Super soft and never ready and thats been years..

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

I would love to go pick a OC off the mcvay coaching tree or that staff. They are so fun to watch.

We need to start looking at the dline coach and ask is it the coach or players why we don’t have a pass rush.

Don’t forget about the OL coach.  He’s new and we have gone backwards.  Something is not right there.

Since he has been here, the Ballard praise, accolades have been vastly inflated compared to the actual accomplishments, records of the rosters he has actually put together.  Its been done by certain local and national media types who are likely blinded by the fact that he very affable and open with the media.  Certain narratives that have been used to defend him, explain his philosophies just dont have any merit.

Isn't it great to be a Colt fan!!!! Always predictable, faithful and behind in points. This group needs to stick to the entertaining of children at the hospital down town. Its a good thing the owner cares more about rock and roll and guitars than he does about fielding a good product on the gridiron.

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We are 0-3...Been 5 years? When are we gonna be good? Teams win with avg qbs and i think Wentz is better than avg ...We have invested heavily in both lines in draft and salary and we get dogwalked 1st 3 weeks? Should i be happy or hopeful? Now we are in cap trouble as well....smh

Look, I’m not saying you’re wrong.

I’m saying you’re not any more right the 100th freakin time you say it than you were the first time you said it.

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It’s a narrative that just defies logic. Luck was my favorite player of all time…but his overall performance wasn’t exactly incredible those first 3 years. Those teams also beat other good teams. Not to mention his playoff stat line was really meh.

I didn’t like Grigson, but he must have done something that wasn’t terrible to get the results they got.

Yes it was incredible, without Luck and another rookie QB no way we even sniff 11 wins in 2012. Put Burrow or Lawrence in that same situation we go 6-10 at best.

29 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just being real... 

25 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

He had a lot of bad luck with oline injuries..Neither were good but not gonna throw grigson under the bus we got to afc championship with him and pagano..And i pagano was better than Reich and thats hard to say..At least they PLAYED for Pagano..They act like they don't care with Reich..Just an observation..

Grigson’s and Ballard’s approaches in building we’re are completely different. Both took over teams that were bad.

Grigson did have a no-brainer pick with Luck. Then he spent in Free Agency to make the Colts better. Not all the FA’s worked out, but it fast tracked the Colts to three straight playoff appearances and a Conference Championship game. To minimize or say Grigson completely sucked is ridiculous. He had success, two .500 seasons and a toxic relationship with Pagano ended it for him.

Ballard is the polar opposite of Grigson. He will not sign high priced FA’s. He wants to acquire bargains in free agency. He’s had success (Autry, Houston, Rhodes). While building mostly threw his drafts by trading down and gaining extra picks. It’s been a mixed bag. Ballard’s teams only have winning seasons with an elite QB under center. Which means after five drafts, the Colts can only be competitive if they have either a stacked squad (they don’t) or elite QB (they don’t). 

Who’s the better GM, depends on the individual. 

If, you look at the record it’s undeniable. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

canes GIF by Carolina Hurricanes

you should know bandwagon fans. you have seen the Colts suck more than most of the people on here. Its funny, the franchise is back to being what it was when it left Baltimore in the middle of the nite. No more Lucks or Mannings. Omg! the browns and the Bengals are better!!!:banana:

1 minute ago, MCurtis32 said:

you should know bandwagon fans. you have seen the Colts suck more than most of the people on here. Its funny, the franchise is back to being what it was when it left Baltimore in the middle of the nite. No more Lucks or Mannings. Omg! the browns and the Bengals are better!!!:banana:

Sad but true in more ways than one. But I also think we will get much better 

2 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I was pretty indifferent about Pagano, and I'm pretty indifferent about Reich. Both are great guys. I wasn't wowed about either hire although Pagano's track record on D was much better IMO than Reich's track record on O. I mean Reich was like our 4th choice IIRC. Reich gets way too much credit for OCing a mediocre Chargers team, and for not calling plays in Philly.

I do think Pagano did more with what he inherited on D, than Reich with the current O. He also got progressively deeper in the playoffs 3 years in a row. He deserves credit for that. Folks like to say well "Chuck had Luck"... Well, folks should also acknowledge that Reich has an overall better roster, and also had Luck one year, and Rivers another (a guy he was with before). Now he has one of his guys again. 

I agree the players seemed to play more for Pagano. I think he was a bit more likable. Maybe a bit more emotional and had better bonds with players. But Reich is likable too, just a different type of good guy. More father-ish.

26 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

We aren’t in cap trouble....

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes it was incredible, without Luck and another rookie QB no way we even sniff 11 wins in 2012. Put Burrow or Lawrence in that same situation we go 6-10 at best.

Luck made his share of mistakes too. He played great at times, but his stat line is what it is. 

The point is that he didn’t carry a terrible roster, which is the popular narrative. It wasn’t a good enough roster to get over the hump, but it wasn’t terrible. 

38 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Exactly...Now he has resume and when you look at resume relatively not that hot now..All the excuses about QB we invested heavily in both lines so should be able to win without top 5 qb...But lines have been dominated this year? What r we investing in or drafting? Every year its injury or QB excuse..Every team has injuries...

I love Q, and glad we picked him. He's a monster. And I'm an ND homer. But most teams are going to spend that draft capital on a G. We did, so at the same time we committed to paying high dollar for both LG and LT lol.. Most teams only LT. And we made Kelly the highest paid or closest to highest paid C. He's not top 3 IMO. I don't have issue with Smith's contract, because we're not paying Glow a ton. So we go and do all that, which likely causes us to cheap out on swing tackle depth. Now we're paying for it. 

DL IMO is worse. We've spent so much capital on DE, and had way too many misses. And then let both FAs go, and draft two guys, one that won't contribute much this year. And the guy we took in the 1st (who I love) hasn't got a sack yet, and now has a hammy. And we basically spent capital and big dollars on Defo (happy we did) on him, and it didn't do much to overall DL performance like many thought. 

Good and bad for both GMs. I feel they're tracking similar in terms of my personal "like" status. Liked Grigs the first 3 years. Liked Ballard the first couple years. Now we're seeing everything Ballard has done wasn't so genius like when all is said and done. I want to stress that all GMs have ups and downs, and I'm still confident that Ballard can right the ship. I do think it's possible that Reich's fate might be tied to Winston's, and Ballard's tied to Reich (that assumes Ballard doesn't make a change).

36 minutes ago, SR711 said:

Since he has been here, the Ballard praise, accolades have been vastly inflated compared to the actual accomplishments, records of the rosters he has actually put together.  Its been done by certain local and national media types who are likely blinded by the fact that he very affable and open with the media.  Certain narratives that have been used to defend him, explain his philosophies just dont have any merit.

I hear yah

47 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but I still think you are under valuing he had Luck his first 3 years. I think Ballard is better eventhough the W/L doesn't show it. This season just sucks so far so a lot of things are hard to defend with facts.

You've used the W/L argument yourself, and also diminished it at times when it fits your argument. I agree it does not always tell the whole story. It is pretty out of whack (and playoffs), so I personally can't diminish it just because he had Luck. And he did after all pick Luck, so there's that lol.

Truth is, Grigson had a great first few years, Ballard had a great first few years (for different reasons). At the end of the day though, a lot of things just aren't working right now. I personally try to stay detached and don't get too in love with players and coaches (until they've proven themselves for years), so I'm not heavily vested in either Ballard or Reich. Wasn't with Grigson or Pagano either. So I try to be fair, while also not being homerish. But like I said in an earlier post, Ballard has time to right the ship. And I do think he's a smart guy and capable. We shall see. I do think he needs to make some changes.

43 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Grigson’s and Ballard’s approaches in building we’re are completely different. Both took over teams that were bad.

Grigson did have a no-brainer pick with Luck. Then he spent in Free Agency to make the Colts better. Not all the FA’s worked out, but it fast tracked the Colts to three straight playoff appearances and a Conference Championship game. To minimize or say Grigson completely sucked is ridiculous. He had success, two .500 seasons and a toxic relationship with Pagano ended it for him.

Ballard is the polar opposite of Grigson. He will not sign high priced FA’s. He wants to acquire bargains in free agency. He’s had success (Autry, Houston, Rhodes). While building mostly threw his drafts by trading down and gaining extra picks. It’s been a mixed bag. Ballard’s teams only have winning seasons with an elite QB under center. Which means after five drafts, the Colts can only be competitive if they have either a stacked squad (they don’t) or elite QB (they don’t). 

Who’s the better GM, depends on the individual. 

If, you look at the record it’s undeniable. 

There you go with that fact and logic stuff again. Keep it up, and you'll get more snarky emojis! 

DON'T make me hurt your feelings again!

In all seriousness, you're spot on. So many people have zero clue about what Grigs actually did from year to year. They just hitched the horse to the new shiny toy. Hell even I struggle to remember the moves Grigs made his early years, and all the guys he lost his first year. I know in 2012 they lost Garcon, Dallas, Manning, Adai, Saturday, Tamme, etc.. Lots of turnover in his first year and he did just fine.

Archived