Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brett Huntley activated from the practice squad

indyagent17

10 minutes ago, Wentzszn said:

Even if Wentz plays all three will be active. What if he can’t go past one series. Then Eason Gets hurt or looks bad. It doesn’t really mean anything. Deadline is 4 today so it had to be done today and couldn’t wait until tomorrow.

Yep, what she said. Unlike a covid active case. You cannot bring them up tomorrow once you realize. It tis something that has to be done in advance

37 minutes ago, StartEason said:

With Brett Hundley now the back up , and Sam Ehlinger coming off IR will the Colts  keep 4 QB's on their roster.

Seems like a roster issue moving forward, or do they cut one?

I'm not sure of all the PS rules and IR rules so I'm curious of possible outcomes.

Yes. that should indeed be interesting.

The Colts have gone back on their stance as QB-Jacob Eason being the backup to QB-Carson Wentz. In Week 3, QB-Brett Hundley was the team’s backup. Frank Reich said it was Hundley’s experience that had him backing up a banged-up Wentz against the Titans. “We talked to each guy one-on-one, what I said to Jacob was, ‘Jacob, you are on the right track, you are doing the right thing. This is not about you. This is about Brett’s experience. He’s started 9 games. He’s led two fourth-quarter game-winning drives. He’s experienced and a very poised young man. We are going on the road playing a divisional game in a very difficult environment,’” Reich explained. “If Carson wouldn’t play, we just felt that would be the best option for us.” When asked why Hundley wasn’t the backup in Week 1 or Week 2, Reich offered this: “Because I felt Carson wasn’t 100 percent…having time to think it through and the reality that Carson might not be in this game and we are going on the road, and the challenges of that, playing a divisional moment, I guess given the moment is the answer more than anything.” Reich said the decision for Wentz’s backup remains something that the Colts will decide later this week. Rookie QB-Sam Ehlinger (knee) is eligible to come of IR list this week, so he’s a name to watch at quarterback.

https://www.1075thefan.com/kevins-sports-news/colts/colts-monday-notebook-t-y-hilton-return-remains-on-hold/

I will post Reich’s presser when it is upS but after listening to the media questions and Reich’s answers on why Hundley was the backup I am actually ok with it. Reich actually answered the questions really well and the media asked the right questions.

At the end of the presser he added they have liked what they have seen from Hundley in practice.  He said he has gotten a lot more comfortable and has done things they really like. I can live with this answer. This answer actually makes sense that it wasn’t anything Eason did but what they see in Hundley. If this is the case we might see Eason cut when Sam comes back. If they like what they have seen from Hundley so far.

I hold some belief personally that Reich considered the fact that Eason is a statue, and he didn’t want to set him up for failure in his first ever start. They still aren’t sure what they have in him but it seems to me like they are currently still committed to developing him as of now. Part of that isn’t rushing it, or putting him in situations that could ruin his confidence before the time comes that they have to make a decision on him as a player.

and why would they cut Eason in favor of Sam?

Injured QB, backup is a practice squad QB almost out of the league, and an injured 6th rounder.

yes, they should cut a healthy Jacob Eason. Seems about right, but makes me scratch my head.

I guess Jacob is "arm only" , not showing them much in practice.

Archived