Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bob Sanders and HOF

M0NEYdontLIE

I noticed on NFL.com they were advertising the upcoming James Harrison football life and it led me to thinking about Bob. I remember a story about him when we drafted him and in his Iowa days he mentioned something akin to having the mentality of "if I hit you and it hurts me it hurt you worse". 

Not to say I "miss" the vicious hits but I miss that mentality in a defender. Not to say we don't have some with that now but I was playing highschool ball then so I LOVED me some Bob.

He's HOF eligible now I believe and I really wish I could say he'd get in but his injury history I think will prevent it. But man was he fun to watch.

• Like 6

I miss the hits and mentality. 

We still get to see a few hits, but even the clean ones that are perfectly legit get criticism and second guessed. The hard hitting is just getting coached out of players at lower levels. 

We're edging closer and closer, and year by year, to flag football. Next to go is launching of any kind.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We still get to see a few hits, but even the clean ones that are perfectly legit get criticism and second guessed. The hard hitting is just getting coached out of players at lower levels. 

We're edging closer and closer, and year by year, to flag football. Next to go is launching of any kind.

Id reply with how I really feel if I believed it wouldn't get me a strike but I'm not a fan of a lot of the changes applied to defenses or even blocking. Injuries have always been a part of the game and I haven't seen a noticeable change even with the new age rules. 

Not to be overly callous but any football player from peewee to NFL should understand the risks. There is a reason the best get paid millions a year. Sadly some guys can't take the punishment and can have life long effects. Again they knew the risks... I'll take my quick dig now at Luck because I'm positive many pros would've played through the same pain he was going through or likely more. Some people are mentally tougher than others. 

Maybe these rule changes coincide with modern times. It seems many are becoming increasingly fragile in spirit and mind. 

Bob was a throw back player, even at the time. Undersized with a ton of heart. Id rather be forced to quit like Sanders, than quit after looking fine in warm ups. I suppose if you don't care about your legacy, take the money and run. Andrew owed us nothing but his teammates were likely put off by his timing and reasons. Every NFL player typically is rehabbing every off-season. Makes sense why he has went into hiding.

Rant over... hopefully the people who still carry Lucks water for him can just ignore my rant...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, life long said:

Id reply with how I really feel if I believed it wouldn't get me a strike but I'm not a fan of a lot of the changes applied to defenses or even blocking. Injuries have always been a part of the game and I haven't seen a noticeable change even with the new age rules. 

Not to be overly callous but any football player from peewee to NFL should understand the risks. There is a reason the best get paid millions a year. Sadly some guys can't take the punishment and can have life long effects. Again they knew the risks... I'll take my quick dig now at Luck because I'm positive many pros would've played through the same pain he was going through or likely more. Some people are mentally tougher than others. 

Maybe these rule changes coincide with modern times. It seems many are becoming increasingly fragile in spirit and mind. 

Bob was a throw back player, even at the time. Undersized with a ton of heart. Id rather be forced to quit like Sanders, than quit after looking fine in warm ups. I suppose if you don't care about your legacy, take the money and run. Andrew owed us nothing but his teammates were likely put off by his timing and reasons. Every NFL player typically is rehabbing every off-season. Makes sense why he has went into hiding.

Rant over... hopefully the people who still carry Lucks water for him just ignore my rant...

Nothing wrong with your rant, and appreciate your honesty. Most fans that I've talked to feel the same. Nothing wrong with some of the rules, but with everything in life, some go too far to try to overcompensate for rare incidents, or past misdeeds (like the NFL covering up for concussion studies). 

At it's core though, many of the folks that feign outrage over big hits, won't admit that the game is simply a violent game. Just like boxing. And yes, players know the risks. And many, many fans, are attracted to the violent nature of the game. Those who don't understand that, or want to be critical of fans liking the violent nature of the game, are simply those that don't want to acknowledge basic human nature. 

And I have zero problem saying a word that triggers a lot of folks... Soft.... 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Didn't play long enough (or enough games due to injury) to get into the Hall. I will say this, I have been posting on here for nearly 2 years he belongs in the ROH. Without him we probably do not win it all in 2006. He was a monster during those playoffs. He also won DPOY in 2007, only Colt ever do so here in Indy.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, life long said:

Rant over... hopefully the people who still carry Lucks water for him can just ignore my rant...

Regarding Luck, I hated his timing on his retirement announcement. I was mad, disappointed, sad, all at the same time. It still doesn't take away he was great from 2012-2014 and had a very good short career. 

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Luck, I hated his timing on his retirement announcement. I was mad, disappointed, sad, all at the same time. It still doesn't take away he was great from 2012-2014 and had a very good short career. 

5o6zes.gif

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Didn't play long enough (or enough games due to injury) to get into the Hall. I will say this, I have been posting on here for nearly 2 years he belongs in the ROH. Without him we probably do not win it all in 2006. He was a monster during those playoffs. He also won DPOY in 2007, only Colt ever do so here in Indy.

Honestly Bob is the kind of guy ring of honors are invented for.  Guys who mean a lot to a franchise but aren’t good enough for the Hall of Fame.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

5o6zes.gif

Hi..probably right!!

He might be prepping for his Saturday night meeting as we speak on " The History of Western Philosophy, by Bertrand Russell".

I am not one of those folks to lament constantly  about the loss of AL and PM. But every once in awhile it kinda stings me for a few when I think about AL leaving the team. PM not so much. That one does not bother me, given that whole situation and scenario.  I get why and I hold no grudges toward him, but that one really hurt this team to a degree.  I think with a healthy Wentz and getting everything else straightened out things will be better...I hope....

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Honestly Bob is the kind of guy ring of honors are invented for.  Guys who mean a lot to a franchise but aren’t good enough for the Hall of Fame.

Yeah , maybe, thats a tough one. I think out of all the years he was here he only had 2 seasons were he played more than 6 games. Impactful player no doubt, but longevity and consistency of playing time...eh.....

5 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

Yeah , maybe, thats a tough one. I think out of all the years he was here he only had 2 seasons were he played more than 6 games. Impactful player no doubt, but longevity and consistency of playing time...eh.....

Jim Harbaugh is in the Ring of Honor for basically one magical season.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, jszfunk said:

He is the only Colt in history to win DPOY which was in 2007, that alone should get him in. That includes Baltimore Colts history as well.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is the only Colt in history to win DPOY which was in 2007, that alone should get him in. That includes Baltimore Colts history as well.

Fair enough. Do think it would have happened by now if they were going to do it?  Its been 10-11yrs since he was here, I believe.

1 minute ago, jszfunk said:

Fair enough. Do think it would have happened by now if they were going to do it?  Its been 10-11yrs since he was here, I believe.

I am baffled to why he isn't in the ROH, makes no sense to me and usually Irsay is loyal to his ex players that were great at one time. I have been on here for 2 years preaching he should be in the ROH. It may never happen because he has been retired since 2010. Just baffling because without him we probably don't win it all in 2006 either.

Full disclosure, I’m a Brit who has never played football but have played and followed rugby my whole life so feel free to complete ignore this but…

I think rugby has (mostly) done a good job in keeping the physicality of the game whilst removing the really dangerous aspects such as hits to the head. No reason the NFL couldn’t do the same (which they are trying to do but in my opinion aren’t doing it very well). I do think the amount of protection QBs get is ridiculous though. I get you want to protect your investment but come on you’ve got to let people hit them the same way as any other player

• Like 3

12 hours ago, EastStreet said:

That won't come to pass, but I'd meet you half way, tackling is going to be something that's only ever done during live action and the defenders are going to look silly getting caught up to the offense at the start of every year. I also think that lower level football generally is at high risk of going the way of the dodo at this point. The NFL will be bringing in guys with measurables and little to no tape at some point in the future is my tin foil hat, magic 8 ball, guesstimation as to where this is going.

Bob got his validation putting the 06' team over the top to win a SB. He's not a HOF'er. He'd have to have done what he did for more like a decade.. What'd Rod Woodson have to do to get in? 20 years, most of which he was tops? Steve Atwater? Guys in the secondary who are known hitters don't just walk in with out a big resume. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Another reason why I loved the 80's and 90's so much, even I would say the first part of the 2000's up to about 2006 or 2007 the league let the defense get away with much more. Part of the reason why Bob won DPOY in 2007 was his style of play, now days some may think he was dirty which makes me do this Big Brother Ugh GIF by Global TV. One reason why Tom may play 2 or 3 more years is because you can't touch him without a flag coming in. Peyton probably could've at least played 2 or 3 more years had it not been for his neck, JMO. When we played the Ravens in the 2006 playoffs, the REFS were letting Ray and Suggs tee off on our RB's and Peyton. They let Ed Reed launch a few times too on our WR's if you go back and watch the game. Those days are over.

• Like 4

Sanders had the talent & he had the on field performance, but he didn’t have the longevity.  I’d say YES to the Colts ring of honor, though. 

Of the current Colts nominations, Reggie Wayne & Jeff Saturday have my votes. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Another reason why I loved the 80's and 90's so much, even I would say the first part of the 2000's up to about 2006 or 2007 the league let the defense get away with much more. Part of the reason why Bob won DPOY in 2007 was his style of play, now days some may think he was dirty which makes me do this Big Brother Ugh GIF by Global TV. One reason why Tom may play 2 or 3 more years is because you can't touch him without a flag coming in. Peyton probably could've at least played 2 or 3 more years had it not been for his neck, JMO. When we played the Ravens in the 2006 playoffs, the REFS were letting Ray and Suggs tee off on our RB's and Peyton. They let Ed Reed launch a few times too on our WR's if you go back and watch the game. Those days are over.

I will follow this up by saying I have been content since Feb 2007 because we won that ring. Peyton beat Tom and BB in a Colt uniform to get there, we also took out Ray and Ed Reed. Anything after that was gravy as a fan for me. I still get upset after losses but it is easy knowing we were World Champions at one time. Same for my Cubs who won it all in 2016, I waited 32 years as a fan for that lmao . I will never get my trifecta though because the Pacers owner won't spend to get Superstars in here, it is a damn shame, we had it with Reggie in 1998 (had freakin Jordan beat in the ECFinals but didn't finish) or 2000 but just fell short, Shaq and Kobe was too much in the Finals. Pacers will never win a NBA Championship because of ownership. 

Back to Bob, he should no doubt be in the ROH, the Hall no for reasons I stated above. 

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yup. Peyton was a master of not taking sacks while our OL wasn't the best, but I recall some very ugly hits at times. He would typically toss it away or crumble to the ground before taking the hit, but sometimes he just couldn't avoid it. He was just so big and unathletic lol. Still love watching that youtube vid of him making running plays. 

And yup, if not for the neck, definitely more years. Less Budweiser and more kale (like the Brady plan) would have helped too lol. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The Fish said:

That won't come to pass, but I'd meet you half way, tackling is going to be something that's only ever done during live action and the defenders are going to look silly getting caught up to the offense at the start of every year. I also think that lower level football generally is at high risk of going the way of the dodo at this point. The NFL will be bringing in guys with measurables and little to no tape at some point in the future is my tin foil hat, magic 8 ball, guesstimation as to where this is going.

Bob got his validation putting the 06' team over the top to win a SB. He's not a HOF'er. He'd have to have done what he did for more like a decade.. What'd Rod Woodson have to do to get in? 20 years, most of which he was tops? Steve Atwater? Guys in the secondary who are known hitters don't just walk in with out a big resume. 

Tongue and cheek on the flag football comment, but you know what I'm saying. And fast forward 50-100 years, and nothing would surprise me. 

You're right about lower level FB. Some granola bar parents in one of the towns near me tried to get tackling taken out of little league and grade school football. That didn't fly over too well lol... I live in the heart of SEC country. And CFB is such a money maker (as well as the NFL), it will be hard to diminish the kid's desire to play HS FB so long as CFB and NFL popularity is high. Other sports like soccer and lacrosse have grown, but FB rules.

Love Sanders, just didn't have the shelf life needed.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. Peyton was a master of not taking sacks while our OL wasn't the best, but I recall some very ugly hits at times. He would typically toss it away or crumble to the ground before taking the hit, but sometimes he just couldn't avoid it. He was just so big and unathletic lol. Still love watching that youtube vid of him making running plays. 

And yup, if not for the neck, definitely more years. Less Budweiser and more kale (like the Brady plan) would have helped too lol. 

I remember 1 play where Suggs could've literally destroyed Peyton but Peyton fell to the ground just as Suggs was there. I also remember a play where Peyton got an INT he tried to just a throw it away because Suggs and someone else that I can't recall was right in his face. Ed Reed picked it off. We only scored 15 points that day but their D was one of the best ever. Vinny was automatic. Bob, Freeney, and Mathis and our D held McNair to 6 points, unreal. After we won that game I called my step-dad up the next day and said "we are going to win it all, we will never face another D like that again" - my exact words lmao . I knew when we beat them we had it, I know against the Pats early it looked bad but we had them in the dome where we were 9-0. That was the day Tom and BB met their match!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I remember 1 play where Suggs could've literally destroyed Peyton but Peyton fell to the ground just as Suggs was there. I also remember a play where Peyton got an INT he tried to just a throw it away because Suggs and someone else that I can't recall was right in his face. Ed Reed picked it off. We only scored 15 points that day but their D was one of the best ever. Vinny was automatic. Bob, Freeney, and Mathis and our D held McNair to 6 points, unreal. After we won that game I called my step-dad up the next day and said "we are going to win it all, we will never face another D like that again" - my exact words lmao . I knew when we beat them we had it, I know against the Pats early it looked bad but we had them in the dome where we were 9-0. That was the day Tom and BB met their match!

PM was a slippery dude for being so awkward and goofy. 

That year was awesome.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

PM was a slippery dude for being so awkward and goofy. 

That year was awesome.

I was glad to see us finally get over that hurdle. A lot of great same core teams never won a SB like the Vikings in the 70's and the 1998 Vikings specifically losing in the NFC Title Game. The Bills from 1990-1993 went to 4 straight SB's and came up empty as well. I know we blew it in 2005 and in 2009 but at least we won 1. I am sure if you ask Jim Kelly would he trade going to the SB for 4 straight years and losing or going once and winning, he would take the latter. I know I would. Those Bills teams never get mentioned with the greatest teams of all-time, reason why is they never won it all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was glad to see us finally get over that hurdle. A lot of great same core teams never won a SB like the Vikings in the 70's and the 1998 Vikings specifically losing in the NFC Title Game. The Bills from 1990-1993 went to 4 straight SB's and came up empty as well. I know we blew it in 2005 and in 2009 but at least we won 1. I am sure if you ask Jim Kelly would he trade going to the SB for 4 straight years and losing or going once and winning, he would take the latter. I know I would. Those Bills teams never get mentioned with the greatest teams of all-time, reason why is they never won it all.

I remember the Bills run. Spent one of their playoff games watching with a few Colts players at a fine establishment downtown. I hated the Bills back then. 

• Like 1

Just now, EastStreet said:

I remember the Bills run. Spent one of their playoff games watching with a few Colts players at a fine establishment downtown. I hated the Bills back then. 

They really should've won that first SB, a missed  FG cost them a ring. They even had the better team IMO playing the Giants. When they faced the Hogs in 1991 they were just over matched, and no way were they beating the Cowboys haha , that Cowboys team was loaded.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

They really should've won that first SB, a missed  FG cost them a ring. They even had the better team IMO playing the Giants. When they faced the Hogs in 1991 they were just over matched, and no way were they beating the Cowboys haha , that Cowboys team was loaded.

Yup, the first I recall was really close, and a low scoring, somewhat boring game. The last one was just a blowout. 

Can't remember which Bill's game we hung with a few players for (we'd hang though out the season, always at the same place), but I do recall one of the players ended up playing for Buffalo a year or two after lol.. He was from the NE, but wasn't a fan of Buffalo. He and another were from the same area. Fun times

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Oh my goodness, this is hilarious!!! :D:lol:

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Admission confirmed 

I posted another one in the "this should help yall" thread.. 

i think it's better than the above lol

i've got a few more i'll wait to drop

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I posted another one in the "this should help yall" thread.. 

i think it's better than the above lol

i've got a few more i'll wait to drop

Nah, I just checked the other one out, and while good, the one in this thread is definitely better; it's perfect lol. 

• Like 1